ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Midnight Rambler at the B-Stage
Hartford Civic Center March 28, 1999
by Mrs. Throbby

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone here Like Ian Hunter???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-31-03 08:39 AM
woodywoodpecker Anyone here like Ian Hunter?

Almost all his cd's here in Australia are deleted.Damn and have to be imported.

Sorry know its a stones board but thought id ask.
03-31-03 08:49 AM
J.J.Flash Hey woody fella, I love your avatar! Great!
03-31-03 08:53 AM
luxury1 Mott the Hoople,- Ian Hunter??
03-31-03 09:01 AM
steel driving hammer I've always had an ear out for Ian.

Mott The Hoople was under rated imo.

From one of my personal bookmarks here's an out dated update page on what he's doing.
http://home.no.net/mott/mottnews_2000.html
03-31-03 09:17 AM
woodywoodpecker thanks Steelie"

Luxy yes thats the one!
03-31-03 09:25 AM
TomL Love Ian Hunter, saw him in a club last year, about 100 people there great. The new CD is His best I think.
03-31-03 09:30 AM
Nellcote An artist who was part of the glam period, including T Rex, Bowie. Great work w/ Mott The Hoople, the work with Mick Ronson stands out. In '75, his solo album, with Once Bitten/Twice Shy, actually competed on my turntable/eight track with Black & Blue for playing time. I actually bartered a ticket for the '75 show to a friend for that album plus other items that are green....

Quite unappreciated artist, last solo album has good moments. The artist who is the glue in Ian's career, as well as Bowie, is the much underappreciated Mick Ronson. I can pick up anything by Ronno, at anytime, it is just great.
Tragic how he passed, which is quite similar to another super player, Rory Gallagher. Oh well, got to enjoy this all while it lasts...
03-31-03 09:37 AM
luxury1 Well, I have stoned out 8-track memories of Mott the Hoople, Mott. RIding around in cars with boys.....those were the days. It was a push-button transmission, red Valiant! We knew all the words, and would sing (badly) at the top of our lungs. I saw him solo in the early 80's at the Ritz theatre in NYC. HIs voice was not too great. But he does have star-power. yeah--Nelly, Mick Ronson was the true talent in that band
03-31-03 09:48 AM
Nellcote Hey Luxy, how are ya? It's those memories which come back to me as flashbacks that are THE best. Covertible Olds, hold about ten people, with that many speakers, break out the bong, case of Miller smalls, Oh man. That is it! Foghat, Johnny Winter, Tull, Zep, Faces, J. Geils, Stones. Then, I'd turn on the car to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, felt like I was educating the block on the best in black blues musicians. I'm zoning now as I write this....
03-31-03 10:06 AM
jb Not really.
03-31-03 10:37 AM
Honky Tonk Man ALL THE YOUNG DUDES!
03-31-03 10:45 AM
Joey No , but I love the Deer Hunter !

{{{{ CA - RACK ))))))

Double Ronnie !

JOESY !
03-31-03 11:19 AM
Martha Love Ian Hunter! Got to see him on television (Late Late Show with Craig )not that long ago when his last album came out..he looked pretty good...like the song he performed too. Never saw him live though...glad to hear from those of you who have (thanks Nellcote for the memories and you too Luxy). We used to ride around in old beat up trucks and fit as many idiots in the cab as we could and listen to those tunes on the radio..oh those were the daze!
03-31-03 12:56 PM
JaggaRichards All The Way From Memphis and All-American Alien Boy are great tunes!
And 'Cleveland Rocks' too!
03-31-03 01:02 PM
100 Years Ago Ian Hunter is great and his most recent CD Rant is excellent. I discovered Mott by accident. When i was young lad i had some stoner 70s cousins who let me borrow three albums to tape, those were Yes-Fragile, Rush-Fly By Night and Mott The Hoople's Greatest Hits. I returned the first two but Mott was a keeper. Great band, underappreciated but Ian split just as they were poised for the big break in US. Although they did a series of sold-out shows on Broadway before the split.

a cool link to some info on Mott and Ian:

http://members.tripod.com/rant58/id51.htm
03-31-03 01:59 PM
6th Avenue Did Ian Hunter sing a song w/ a chours We Got to get out of here right now it was an 80's song.
03-31-03 04:04 PM
woodywoodpecker [quote]Nellcote wrote:
Quite unappreciated artist, last solo album has good moments. The artist who is the glue in Ian's career, as well as Bowie, is the much underappreciated Mick Ronson. I can pick up anything by Ronno, at anytime, it is just great.

Spot on Nellcote! I love Ronno he was a master!
I admire Ian for still producing two great LP's after Mick's death. Brilliant songwriter also""

Cheers Woody
03-31-03 04:07 PM
jean-pierre M ..Ian did a very positive review of "Bridges to Babylon"
in U.K "MOJO" mag....
03-31-03 04:20 PM
Mottrush
Great thread Woody! I love Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople ( where do you think my username comes from!!!).

In fact Mott the Hoople is my second favourite band.Pity they only lasted a few years. They did continue as Mott after Hunter left in '74 and then as British Lions until about '78.

All Hunter's solo albums are worth getting especially the ones with Ronson.

BTW anyone who likes Ronson should pick up a copy of the new Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture soundtrack (or DVD). Ronson's playing is simply amazing!!

And of course Hunter is and always has been a huge Stones fan!!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
03-31-03 04:25 PM
woodywoodpecker Mottrush check ya PM dude.

Woody
03-31-03 04:53 PM
100 Years Ago nice to see fellow Mott appreciators out there. can you believe Mick Ralphs left Mott to form Bad Co???
03-31-03 05:12 PM
Mottrush
Yeah 100YA, it was a crying shame Ralphs and Hunter couldn't work things out back then. Mick definately resented Hunter taking over the band. The first two Bad Company albums were O.K but downhill after that. Ralphs did tour U.K with Ian last year. Angel Air Records are releasing an album from the tour later this year!

Cheers,

Mottrush
03-31-03 07:00 PM
purrcafe I saw Hunter at Glassboro State College the day after I saw the Stones tour opener at JFK Stadium in 1981. As much as I love the Stones, Hunter was the better of those two shows. I saw him last year as well. He's still really good. And, I think "Irene Wild" might be the most bitter song ever written.
03-31-03 07:16 PM
glencar I don't know if it's considered "good" Ian Hunter or not but I still have "Short Back & Sides" which was released around 1981. I liked it but haven't played it for a long time.
03-31-03 07:46 PM
100 Years Ago Short Back n Sides, rocks righteously! Interesting guitar marriage of Mick's on that, Ronson's on some tracks and Clash's Mick Jones on others. How can you not like Central Park and West, or Gun Control, Rain and of course Lisa Like Rock n Roll (that little hearbreaker, wonder where she is now).

It is a shame that Ian and Mick (what is with Ian and guitarists named Mick anyways?) couldn't work out their creative differences, though the Hoople is a mighty fine swan song. Still, it would've been nice to hear what Mott would've sounded like with a whole album with Ronson on guitar.
04-01-03 01:19 AM
gypsymofo60 'Shades Of Ian Hunter'- a great compilation, with 'England Rocks', as opposed to 'Cleveland Rocks', and other gems like Saturday Gigs, Sweet Jane, and 'One Of The Boys'. Thanks for the Hunter discs to Woody, I'm still listening.
04-01-03 02:27 AM
woodywoodpecker thanks to all for the replies! I expected to get an ear slappin for talking about anyone other than the stones LOL.
Just goes to show people still listen too and appreciate great music when they here it!

Big Thankyou to Mottrush for really helping me out "Hats off to you buddy"

Mofo glad to see your back & I'm glad I could help you to claw your way back.

thanks everyone
04-01-03 10:28 AM
FPM C10 I saw Mott the Hoople on their last US tour, '73 or so, in Harrisburg at the Farm Show Arena. Ralphs had split and been replaced by a guy named Ariel Bender. The stage set was great - overhung with larger-than-life size marionettes - the show, unfortunately, left no lasting impressions, except that I had to leave before it was quite over because the guy who drove wasn't into it and wanted to beat the traffic. What I do remember is the act before them was a new band called Aerosmith, who were a lot better then than they are now. We got there late, so we missed the opening act, who nobody had ever heard of - Queen.

My girlfriend in the late 70s was an Ian Hunter FREAK. She had all his stuff. As I recall, she mainly liked his hair.
04-01-03 02:50 PM
100 Years Ago FPM C10 wrote:
I saw Mott the Hoople on their last US tour, '73 or so, in Harrisburg at the Farm Show Arena. Ralphs had split and been replaced by a guy named Ariel Bender. The stage set was great - overhung with larger-than-life size marionettes - the show, unfortunately, left no lasting impressions, except that I had to leave before it was quite over because the guy who drove wasn't into it and wanted to beat the traffic. What I do remember is the act before them was a new band called Aerosmith, who were a lot better then than they are now. We got there late, so we missed the opening act, who nobody had ever heard of - Queen.

That's hilarious, great stuff...shows how close Mott were to making the "big time" with those two no names Aerosmith and Queen opening for them. In the Useless info dept: Ariel Bender was also in Spooky Tooth and featured prominently in the underground classic Groupies, under his real name, Luther Grossenvor.
04-05-03 12:54 PM
frankh Woody

I likewise am a huge Ian fan. His official site is www.ianhunter.com
He answers everyone's email questions to him every 3 or 4 months. You can sign up for newsletters in the "horse's mouth's" section
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003