ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Arriving in Sydney
Stephane L'hostis/GI - Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Drif Away Rocks Return to archive
2nd April 2006 09:51 PM
ebmp I didnt know it was a cover! It rocks so much

I think itīs much better than Aint too Proud To Beg. Not that ATPTB isnt a great song!
2nd April 2006 10:03 PM
ebmp sorry I was replying to the other thread and clicked on the worng button
2nd April 2006 10:31 PM
Soldatti Another unreleased gem.
2nd April 2006 10:58 PM
Spru Both of those songs are awesome. Shows how the Stones can make great songs even better when they cover them. I know ATPTB is a Motown classic, but it is a straight up rocker when these guys bring it out.
3rd April 2006 07:04 AM
Break The Spell Another case where I like the Stones version better than the original. It would have been great if this song and Through the Lonely Nights made the cut for IORR.
3rd April 2006 07:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man It was a toss up between Ain't Too Proud To Beg and Drift Away as to what made the cut on It's Only Rock 'n' Roll. They dismissed the later and in my opinion, that was a mistake. I've never been too keen on Ain't Too Proud To Beg, but Drift Away is outstanding.
3rd April 2006 08:57 AM
gimmekeef They should have added it to the Rareties set they released a few months ago.Thats the stuff people would gobble up....Drift Away could be a hit single now!
3rd April 2006 09:16 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
They should have added it to the Rareties set they released a few months ago.Thats the stuff people would gobble up....Drift Away could be a hit single now!

There is so much that should have been on Rarities that wasn't, it would have been a great 3-4 disc set if it was done right. And yes, if it was promoted with a strong rarity like Drift Away, it could very well become a hit.
4th April 2006 01:52 PM
rocky yes.living in the heart of love.from the same session is good too.they din't release drift awat because rod stewart did it on his sailing album. rocky
4th April 2006 02:24 PM
Ihavelotsajam Drift Away would have been great.... if a gazillion artists since then didn't cover it to death and made it absolutely unlistenable as a song.
4th April 2006 03:14 PM
glencar
quote:
rocky wrote:
yes.living in the heart of love.from the same session is good too.they din't release drift awat because rod stewart did it on his sailing album. rocky

Thanks for the info. I prefer Ain't Too... but I also love this cover version.
4th April 2006 07:58 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
And yes, if it was promoted with a strong rarity like Drift Away, it could very well become a hit.

What current rock radio could play Drift Away today?
They don't get airplay with new stuff, let alone a 30 plus years old track.
5th April 2006 10:31 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

What current rock radio could play Drift Away today?

They play it every time some hack decides to cover it! Come on people, are you honestly telling me you don't hear someone's new version of Drift Away every month?
THey played the hell out of the recent version, what the hell is their name-- Captain Cracker or something-- why the hell would they play Stones' version? And no one on the face of the earth would think this is an actual Stones song anyway nor that it's the Stones performing it, nor would they care about anything that has to do with it whatsoever, after all the covers of it.
5th April 2006 10:50 AM
mmdog
Drift Away isn't a rare. It was never released, so it didn't qualify for Rairities.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)