ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Arriving in Sydney
Stephane L'hostis/GI - Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Clash & The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
31st March 2006 03:22 PM
speedfreakjive look, I'm sure The Clash's members loved the Stones at a teenage stage, but it doesn't go to say that they liked them in 1977. Lets not forget, the Stones had become a parody of themselves by 1976. Jagger looked ridiculous, Keef was a severe Junkie.
The Clash were a breath of freah air; truly innovative, unlike the Sex Pistols.
31st March 2006 03:23 PM
Ihavelotsajam Heh.
REM have covered PIB and some other Stones tune live, not sure how they ever felt about them, but i do remember them trashing the Beatles.
Cobain was a diehard Beatles fan, and his "better to burn out than fade away" shit made the Stones the prime example of what not to do. I have literally never seen any reference to the Stones by Nirvana, except if they were negative. Keith, I think, had some scathing things to say about Cobain regarding his comments.
Anyway, I just find it weird... Cobain apparently liked Zeppelin, Queen, and U2... but the Stones sucked? I mean I just never could understand that. Nirvana has left a pretty big mark in the history of music, and I've always found it puzzling that they didn't at least relate to the early Stones...
31st March 2006 03:26 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Lets not forget, the Stones had become a parody of themselves by 1976. Jagger looked ridiculous, Keef was a severe Junkie.

Yes, let's not forget that.
But I hate how a lot of people seem to forget the fact that the Stones were the ONLY 'old' band who put up a tough competition for the punks in 1978. I wish more music historians could give them that credit, at a time when Queen fizzled out and Zeppelin was making fucking In Through the Out Door bull.

ANyway, let's not get me started on Some Girls again... *sigh*
31st March 2006 03:26 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Heh.
REM have covered PIB and some other Stones tune live, not sure how they ever felt about them, but i do remember them trashing the Beatles.
Cobain was a diehard Beatles fan, and his "better to burn out than fade away" shit made the Stones the prime example of what not to do. I have literally never seen any reference to the Stones by Nirvana, except if they were negative. Keith, I think, had some scathing things to say about Cobain regarding his comments.
Anyway, I just find it weird... Cobain apparently liked Zeppelin, Queen, and U2... but the Stones sucked? I mean I just never could understand that. Nirvana has left a pretty big mark in the history of music, and I've always found it puzzling that they didn't at least relate to the early Stones...

Yes, but keep in mind he also had sex with Courtney Love so he's certainly not the be-all, end-all when it comes to good taste!! It don't bother me at all he never gave proper credit to The Stones.
31st March 2006 03:27 PM
nanatod I'm not a musician, but aren't there riffs in "Train in Vain" that sound similar to "Silver Train?"
31st March 2006 03:28 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
nanatod wrote:
I'm not a musician, but aren't there riffs in "Train in Vain" that sound similar to "Silver Train?"

no
31st March 2006 03:29 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Yes, let's not forget that.
But I hate how a lot of people seem to forget the fact that the Stones were the ONLY 'old' band who put up a tough competition for the punks in 1978. I wish more music historians could give them that credit, at a time when Queen fizzled out and Zeppelin was making fucking In Through the Out Door bull.

ANyway, let's not get me started on Some Girls again... *sigh*

good point,
31st March 2006 03:32 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Yes, but keep in mind he also had sex with Courtney Love so he's certainly not the be-all, end-all when it comes to good taste!!

... point taken.
31st March 2006 03:33 PM
Dan
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

That's way too extreme.
I'd like to see what you think of Nirvana, JB.
Occasional-Stones trashing aside, like Oasis or the Strokes do, I think most famous bands have at least loved/given credit to the Stones at SOME point in their career. Only with Nirvana I think it's pretty safe to say that Cobain was one big fucking asshole when it came to the Stones. The asswipe was recommending Duran Duran is his stupid best-of lists, but never had a single nice word for the Stones. That has always beeb just mind-boggling for me. And I see that his asshole opinion rubbed off on that impressionable sod Dave Grohl and his shitty band.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]

So you scour all articles/interviews with all musicians to see if they mention the Stones?
31st March 2006 03:35 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

... point taken.

And I like your point on the Stones being the only band of the "old guard" to give the punks of the late 70's a true fight. Others were doing weak watered down material or songs that were just a pale reminder of who they once were. The Kinks, in my opinion were second to the Stones in putting out great albums during that period.
31st March 2006 03:39 PM
speedfreakjive lets not overlook The Ramones, yes, they weren't an older band, but they were original. In truth, there weren't many major 60's bands still going in the 70's, The Stones were the 'contender's' , The Clash ruleeee the world
31st March 2006 03:46 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Dan wrote:

So you scour all articles/interviews with all musicians to see if they mention the Stones?

Jeez, where did I imply that? I was talking about Nirvana. I was in middle school when Nirvana was a major craze-- they were hard to ignore. The entire freaking school wore flannel and refused to shower.
I've always appreciated them to a degree, I admit their impact, but their music and their attitudes on the Stones thing didn't seem to fit.

Anything else you'd like clarified?
31st March 2006 03:49 PM
Dan
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Jeez, where did I imply that? I was talking about Nirvana. I was in middle school when Nirvana was a major craze-- they were hard to ignore. The entire freaking school wore flannel and refused to shower.
I've always appreciated them to a degree, I admit their impact, but their music and their attitudes on the Stones thing didn't seem to fit.

Anything else you'd like clarified?

I listened to Nirvana all the time and never really noticed one way or the other what they thought about the Stones
31st March 2006 03:51 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

. I was in middle school when Nirvana was a major craze--

Thats about the age I was too when they hit big, I always thought Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam were much better bands personally. That was a great era, glad I got to see the Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge Tours during that time.
31st March 2006 03:54 PM
Dan In 1991 it seemed like just about every gig I went to Alice In Chains opening. Just about fell asleep at one show when they were sandwiched between Mordred and Megadeth at the Hollywood Palladium.
31st March 2006 03:55 PM
rasputin56
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Yes, but keep in mind he also had sex with Courtney Love so he's certainly not the be-all, end-all when it comes to good taste!!

Hey, cut him some slack. The dude was a serious junkie and when sobered up for a sec and realized what he had done, he took the pipe. It was the honorable way out.
31st March 2006 03:56 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Dan wrote:
In 1991 it seemed like just about every gig I went to Alice In Chains opening. Just about fell asleep at one show when they were sandwiched between Mordred and Megadeth at the Hollywood Palladium.

I saw them around that era, it was on the Clash of the Titans tour.
31st March 2006 04:00 PM
Egbert The only two post-'70s bands that really impressed me on first listen where G&R and Nirvana.
31st March 2006 04:03 PM
rasputin56
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I saw them around that era, it was on the Clash of the Titans tour.

If my somewhat addled mind can recall, the bands I saw on the Clash of the Titans tour were Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and AIC opened the show. Man in the Box was just starting to get some air play. Unfortunately, by that time all of those bands were well past their short prime.
31st March 2006 04:05 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:

If my somewhat addled mind can recall, the bands I saw on the Clash of the Titans tour were Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and AIC opened the show. Man in the Box was just starting to get some air play. Unfortunately, by that time all of those bands were well past their short prime.

Hardly, Megadeth were touring for "Rust In Peace" at the time, what many consider their greatest album.
31st March 2006 04:07 PM
Dan I saw the Clash Of The Titans at the Pacific Amphitheatre in Costa Mesa May 25,1991. Slayer closed the show that night. I had good seats but went up on the lawn for them. "Angel Of Death" had the biggest pit I have ever seen in my life. That was when KNAC was still on the air and that particular show drew over 15,000 people.
31st March 2006 04:11 PM
rasputin56
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Hardly, Megadeth were touring for "Rust In Peace" at the time, what many consider their greatest album.

Never did anything for me. OK but not their best, more same old, same old. Then again, maybe it was just me past my prime then.
31st March 2006 04:14 PM
Dan I love Rust In Peace though never really got into subsequent releases. Saw them 6 times in just over a year. LA Sports Arena with Judas Priest and Testament, the next night they did a surprise 2 song set at the Rip Party; then a secret show as Vic And The Rattleheads at the Cathouse right before Clash Of The Titans, that was the best Megadeth show ever; then Clash Of THe Titans, then the tour closer at the Hollywood Palladium. My friend was supposed to tape it, changed his mind at the last minute, so I decided to sneak it in and told him to take extra tape and batteries. Got popped at the door. I was wearing my mosh pit clothes. I was 17 and wearing stuff I should have tossed a few years previous with no room to hide things. First I talked security into letting me take it to coat check. Then on the way there talked him into letting me keep it but he took the tape and batteries which I got back from my friend. Couldnt tape the openers which is too bad because Mordred was great. Then they did a 6 song set a few months later at some Cathouse Anniversary Party at the Palladium. Same friend split his chin open to the bone at the show. That was a great year for metal! Didnt see them again til 2000.
31st March 2006 04:17 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Dan wrote:
I love Rust In Peace though never really got into subsequent releases. Saw them 6 times in just over a year. LA Sports Arena with Judas Priest and Testament, the next night they did a surprise 2 song set at the Rip Party; then a secret show as Vic And The Rattleheads at the Cathouse right before Clash Of The Titans, that was the best Megadeth show ever; then Clash Of THe Titans, then the tour closer at the Hollywood Palladium. My friend was supposed to tape it, changed his mind at the last minute, so I decided to sneak it in and told him to take extra tape and batteries. Got popped at the door. I was wearing my mosh pit clothes. I was 17 and wearing stuff I should have tossed a few years previous with no room to hide things. First I talked security into letting me take it to coat check. Then on the way there talked him into letting me keep it but he took the tape and batteries which I got back from my friend. Couldnt tape the openers which is too bad because Mordred was great. Then they did a 6 song set a few months later at some Cathouse Anniversary Party at the Palladium. Same friend split his chin open to the bone at the show. That was a great year for metal! Didnt see them again til 2000.

That my friend was indeed the golden era of good metal (1983-1993), what passes for metal today don't do much at all for me.
31st March 2006 04:26 PM
rasputin56 I always had 91 as my cut off. It just seemed that when grunge hit, "metal" as we once knew it died. Anyone ever hear/see Wargasm? Formicide?
1st April 2006 01:34 PM
Vinyl kills Well it's been pretty established that the CLASH dug the STONES. Anybody know of Keith and Co. digging the CLASH? I would expecst Keith to dig their reggae tunes atleast.
3rd April 2006 09:32 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
Well it's been pretty established that the CLASH dug the STONES. Anybody know of Keith and Co. digging the CLASH? I would expecst Keith to dig their reggae tunes atleast.

I don't recall Keith making any comments about The Clash, but I do remember him liking the staright foward approach of The Ramones.
4th April 2006 12:30 AM
Vinyl kills Joe Strummer used to cover OUT OF TIME when he was in the 101er's
4th April 2006 06:44 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
Joe Strummer used to cover OUT OF TIME when he was in the 101er's

Why are people getting so wound up about whether or not Joe Strummer was a fan of the Rolling Stones? I never once stated he wasn’t, but what I did add was that it'd have been un-cool for him to of admitted it during the Clash heyday. The reason being, because publicly, punk and the BRITTISH punk especially, were very much anti towards the old guard, i.e., the Stones etc.

Strummer loved the Stones. We all know that. There is no need to pluck obscure facts from some book.
4th April 2006 06:55 AM
Break The Spell Of course Strummer and many of the punks were stones fans, at least the early stones. They just rebelled against what they were by the mid-70's, seeing them as bloated jet-setting millionaires out of touch. Some confuse not liking what the "old guard" had become for hating their entire output.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)