ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Arriving in Sydney
Stephane L'hostis/GI - Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Clash & The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
31st March 2006 07:38 AM
Break The Spell Thanks for the picture FPM, I haven't seen a recent picture of Mick Jones. I had no idea he was folically impaired!! A reunion tour would be nice, but without Joe it just wouldn't be right to call it the Clash. But yes, if they do something like Doors of the 21st Century did, that would be interesting to see.
31st March 2006 08:04 AM
egon Pdog,

I know as a man I'm supposed to say I like your bouncing girl
and all,

((( )))

but what is even funnier is those 3 guys in the car

((( )))

Love it.

Though the bonucing girl ain't bad either.

[Edited by egon]
31st March 2006 08:30 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
A reunion tour would be nice, but without Joe it just wouldn't be right to call it the Clash. But yes, if they do something like Doors of the 21st Century did, that would be interesting to see.

31st March 2006 11:15 AM
FPM C10
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

MAN, that's weird/funny/spooky - I was in a totally shite band in about 1999 and we put a CD out which I totally disown and THAT was the cover photo!

But back to the subject of the Clash - I've been fascinated by the brief period when Joe Strummer fronted the Pogues (circa 1991) and was just reading about a boot of their performance at the Warfield Theater in SF.

Here's the setlist:

01. Intro
02. If I Should Fall From Grace With God
03. Sayonara
04. Cotton Fields (Andrew Ranken vocals)
05. Young Ned Of The Hill (Terry Woods vocals)
06. Rain Street
07. Repeal Of The Licensing Laws
08. Body Of An American
09. Gartloney Rats (Terry Woods vocals)
10. London Calling
11. Metropolis
12. Thousands Are Sailing (Philip Chevron vocals)
13. Turkish Song Of The Damned

Disc 2
01. Straight To Hell
02. Johnny Come Lately (Spider Stacy vocals)
03. Medley (Terry Woods vocals)
04. Dirty Old Town
05. The Sick Bed Of Cuchulainn
06. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah (Spider Stacy vocals)
07. Star Of The County Down (Andrew Ranken vocals)
08. I Fought The Law

Philip Chevron, Spider Stacy and James Dearnley actually POST on the board, and Philip said that Joe never felt that the Pogues' fans would accept him, so Spider took over after a year or so. In fact I guess you can hear people yelling for Shane throughout the boot of this show.I know I certainly wouldn't accept just ANY yobbo taking Shane's place, but JOE STRUMMER - !!!

I have "Live at the Town & Country" which features the Pogues' version of "London Calling" which is pretty great. Joe was a special guest star that night.

I guess the boots of this period aren't that good - however, Philip Chevron says that there was an officially recorded live album of the Joe Strummer period which never came out, but which MAY someday be released now that there is a resurgence of interest in this great band.

[Edited by FPM C10]
31st March 2006 11:18 AM
glencar
quote:
egon wrote:
Pdog,

I know as a man I'm supposed to say I like your bouncing girl
and all,

((( )))

but what is even funnier is those 3 guys in the car

((( )))

Love it.

[Edited by egon]

Egon, I believe that's from "One Night At The Roxy" which was a classically underrated bad flick from the mid-90's era.
31st March 2006 11:21 AM
pdog
quote:
egon wrote:

[Edited by egon]

Influenced, Yes... Thank you. Boobs rule!

31st March 2006 11:23 AM
glencar Is that a tryout video for MTV's Real World?
31st March 2006 11:24 AM
jb The Clash opening for the Who at Shea Stadium was the zenith of their popularity...A great show I might add!!!!
[Edited by jb]
31st March 2006 11:26 AM
Break The Spell Nice change up, I like how the most important "members" of pdog's sig are still in tact.
31st March 2006 11:27 AM
glencar Joshy were you at those shows?
31st March 2006 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy were you at those shows?

Yes.............I loved the Who and we(Richard ) flew in...it was great..but the Stones were better.
31st March 2006 11:30 AM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
The Clash opening for the Who at Shea Stadium was the zenith of their popularity...A great show I might add!!!!
[Edited by jb]

BS. I was there and in fact have a self-recorded tape of the show...you can hear the crickets in between songs. Joe says "We ARE singin' in ENGLISH, ya know!" and "If ya dunno what's goin' on, ask the guy next to ya," at which point the guy next to ME said "I think one of them used to be in the Grateful Dead."

The VIDEO for "Should I Stay" makes it LOOK like they were very popular that night, but it was just phony Beatlemania.

I didn't find out until recently that I missed the opener BEFORE the Clash - David Johansen. That must've been the biggest crowd HE ever played for.
31st March 2006 11:31 AM
twicks1 I've read several interviews from Joe's later years where he praised the Stones.

One quote in particular referred to one of the theater shows he had just seen (2002, maybe?) where he said the Stones were as good as they had ever been...something like that, anyway.

Mick Jones is a huge Stones fan. In a MOJO special edition on the Clash he talks about running into Keith on a beach in Jamaica.
31st March 2006 11:32 AM
jb I thought it was a great show......but I was a Who fan, and the Clash were a secondary thought.

cc:Joes
31st March 2006 11:32 AM
glencar Anyone who doesn't give the Stones their due sucks.
31st March 2006 11:33 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Anyone who doesn't give the Stones their due sucks.

Most young people loath the Stones. I am sad to say that this generation of kids will be the worst to ever inhabit the planet. They must be sent to serve in Iraq.
31st March 2006 11:34 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
Anyone who doesn't give the Stones their due sucks.

I deal with those types almost daily, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle many times sad to say.
31st March 2006 11:35 AM
jb
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I deal with those types almost daily, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle many times sad to say.

Med too!!!!!!!!!! I swear!!! It's so upsetting!!! They hate the Stones!!!
31st March 2006 11:36 AM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is that a tryout video for MTV's Real World?

LOL!
glencar I took two of my nephews to see them at HFD. They were 13 & 10 at the time. We were right by the B stage so they got to see Mick & all close up. Their older sister unfortunately refused her ticket. Very smart girl but horrid taste. She likes that hip hop stuff.
glencar
quote:
Egbert wrote:

LOL!

See, someone gets it!
31st March 2006 11:37 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:

Med too!!!!!!!!!! I swear!!! It's so upsetting!!! They hate the Stones!!!

Just remember that we are the "chosen" ones so to speak, the ones who truly get it. It wasn't meant for everybody!!
31st March 2006 11:38 AM
glencar To come of age in the late 70's was an amazing thing...
31st March 2006 11:42 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
To come of age in the late 70's was an amazing thing...

To cum was an amazin g thing!!!
31st March 2006 11:43 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
To come of age in the late 70's was an amazing thing...

I'm sure it was, for me it was a bit later than that, so I had to go by nostolgia, books, and first hand accounts by others who were there.
31st March 2006 12:07 PM
polytoxic Another Stones connection, the shout out in "Jail Guitar Doors"

(strummer/jones)

Let me tell you ’bout Wayne and his deals of
Cocaine
A little more every day
Holding for a friend till the band do well
Then the d.e.a. locked him away

Clang clang, go the jail guitar doors
Bang bang, go the boots on the floor
Cry cry, for your lonely mother’s son

An’ I’ll tell you ’bout Pete, didn’t want no fame
Gave all his money away
Well there’s something wrong, it’ll be good for you, son
And so they certified him insane

And then there’s Keith, waiting for trial
Twenty-five thousand bail
If he goes down you won’t hear his sound
But his friends carry on anyway
Fuck ’em!

Bang bang, go the boots on the floor
Cry cry, for your lonely mother’s son

31st March 2006 12:10 PM
Break The Spell Great song polytoxic!! All this Clash talk will force me to go home and play the first 4 Clash records this evening.
31st March 2006 03:12 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
jb wrote:
Clash truly hated the Stones
[Edited by jb]

That's way too extreme.
I'd like to see what you think of Nirvana, JB.
Occasional-Stones trashing aside, like Oasis or the Strokes do, I think most famous bands have at least loved/given credit to the Stones at SOME point in their career. Only with Nirvana I think it's pretty safe to say that Cobain was one big fucking asshole when it came to the Stones. The asswipe was recommending Duran Duran is his stupid best-of lists, but never had a single nice word for the Stones. That has always beeb just mind-boggling for me. And I see that his asshole opinion rubbed off on that impressionable sod Dave Grohl and his shitty band.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
31st March 2006 03:16 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

That's way too extreme.
I'd like to see what you think of Nirvana, JB.
Occasional-Stones trashing aside, like Oasis or the Strokes do, I think most famous bands have at least loved/given credit to the Stones at SOME point in their career. Only with Nirvana I think it's pretty safe to say that Cobain was one big fucking asshole when it came to the Stones. The asswipe was recommending Duran Duran is his stupid best-of lists, but never had a single nice word for the Stones. That has always beeb just mind-boggling for me. And I see that his asshole opinion rubbed off on that impressionable sod Dave Grohl and his shitty band.

I don't remember Cobain ever making any hateful comments on The stones, but I do remember Michael Stipe saying that The Stones and Beatles made "boring" records and he was never able to sit through one. Imagine that, a member of REM calling someone else boring!!
31st March 2006 03:20 PM
nanatod Cobain did the Stones a big favor, unintentionally.
Nirvana and the grundge movement killed off (permanently?) the hair metal genre.

Unchecked, the hair metal genre (Poison, etc., to some extent, Bon Jovi) would have meant low quality, low price competition to the Stones in the 1990's.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)