ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Arriving in Sydney
Stephane L'hostis/GI - Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Clash & The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
30th March 2006 06:40 PM
Vinyl kills Were the Stones fans of the Clash and vice versa?

Thank you!
30th March 2006 06:49 PM
Gazza Not that I'm aware of

I would guess that maybe the Clash would have been Stones fans in their youth (what English rock n roll musicians wouldnt have been) but going by the lyrics of "1977", they dont appear to still have been by the time they got a record contract!
30th March 2006 06:54 PM
Vinyl kills I remember watcing an interview w/Keef and he was talking about him and Jagger being a sorta ying and yang when it comes to writing and he mentioned the Clash were kinda like that too. Strummer and Jones.
30th March 2006 06:54 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Not that I'm aware of

I would guess that maybe the Clash would have been Stones fans in their youth (what English rock n roll musicians wouldnt have been) but going by the lyrics of "1977", they dont appear to still have been by the time they got a record contract!

Gazza,
The lyrics in 1977 aren't a slag IMO. I see it as commentary that no bands are being relevant in 1977, like they were in their heydays. No Elvis, Beatles or Rolling Stones, doesn't mean we don't want them, it's more where's the same impact today.
I think Keith was well aware of The Clash and alot of other bands, and still is today as best he can be. I bet we'd all be really surprised at some of the stuff he listens to, while Jagger, I bet has some real crap in his collection.
30th March 2006 06:56 PM
Vinyl kills
quote:
pdog wrote:
The lyrics in 1977 aren't a slag IMO. I see it as commentary that no bands are being relevant in 1977, like they were in their heydays. No Elvis, Beatles or Rolling Stones, doesn't mean we don't want them, it's more where's the same impact today.

I think the same thing.
30th March 2006 07:06 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
pdog wrote:

Gazza,

I always viewed it as a "They've had they're day. It's all ABOUT US!" kind of statement. That was part of the punk thing, right? It was a NEW and rebellious movement and 1977 WAS the year of punk. Out with the old and un-cool stuff and in with the new.

Joe Strummer did like the Stones. He was featured in that Uncut Top 40 Stones songs list a few years back. Bet he didn’t confess his love back then though!
30th March 2006 07:08 PM
Vinyl kills
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Joe Strummer did like the Stones. He was featured in that Uncut Top 40 Stones songs list a few years back. Bet he didn’t confess his love back then though!

Do you remember what the article said?

Thank you.
30th March 2006 07:26 PM
pdog It's hard to tell what they're getting at. It's not unlike many great stones lyrics, where you can draw multiple meanings. I'm not of the belief The clash memeber hid their influences, although at the same time, like alot of kids at the time weren't stuck in them... I have no idea what it was like to be a kid in 1977 England, but it seems like it kinda sucked for alot.

1977 Lyrics
Strummer/Jones)

In 1977 I hope I go to heaven
Cos I been too long on the dole
And I can't work at all

Danger stranger
You better paint your face
No elvis, beatles, or the rolling stones
In 1977

In 1977
Knives in west 11
Lent so lucky to be rich
Sten guns in knightsbridge

Danger stranger
You better paint your face
No elvis, beatles or the rolling stones
In 1977

In 1977
You're on the never never
You think it can't go on forever
But the papers say it's better
I don't care 'cos I'm not all there
No elvis, beatles or the rolling stones

In 1977
Sod the jubilee
In 1978
In 1979
Stayed in bed
In 1980
In 1981
The toilet don't work
In 1982
In 1983
Here come the police
In 1984
30th March 2006 07:31 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:

Do you remember what the article said?

Thank you.

The article was HUGE. It's the January 2002 edition of Uncut magazine and Joe Strummer, along with a host of other musicians and critics, gave their opinions on some songs voted into the top 40. I have it somewhere, but I'm shattered and it's take me an age to type out.

Maybe someone else coulds help out here?
30th March 2006 07:52 PM
sirmoonie There is another interview with Strummer where he says one of his earliest influences was a Stones song (Last Time?), and he used to listen to it all the time at school. I'll try and dig it up.
30th March 2006 07:57 PM
jb Clash truly hated the Stones and Mick and Keith knew that these new bands were trying to make a social change which the Stones themselves saw failed in the 60's. Stones were smart and went for longevity/cash,rather then the stupidity of thinking a rock band can make a fucking differnce(Mick Jones still jewish).
[Edited by jb]
30th March 2006 08:03 PM
Riffhard I have always loved that tune,and the Clash in general. I gotta think that the song prolly was indeed a slap down on the Stones,but so what? I mean in 1977 that was indeed the general attitude inside the English punk movement. Fuck the ancestors!

That the Clash and other English punks slagged the Stones is really nothing more than a backhanded compliment anyway. Afterall,the Stones will always be the first punks anyway! It was the Stones that abandoned uniforms,and deliberatly let their hair go unkempt!(Brian being the obvious exception) It was all contrived anyway. Image making. Bussiness tactics. So was the punk movement of the late '70's. It was all geared towards making a statement,and imagery was very much a part of that. That is why Lydon can make a snotty remark about only touring for the money,and fuck the fans! It's an image that he needs to maintain. The whole scripted refusal to be inducted in the RRHOF was pure punk camp! It was great,but it was staged.

The Clash were always the better band compared to the Pistols anyway. I still maintain the London Calling is one of the ten best albums ever released,and I like it better than many Stones. So the Clash may have slagged the Stones,but who gives a fuck really? I mean the Stones used to rip on Elvis too. It's called rock and roll.

Riffy
30th March 2006 08:46 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
There is another interview with Strummer where he says one of his earliest influences was a Stones song (Last Time?), and he used to listen to it all the time at school. I'll try and dig it up.

think i've read that one too sirm

i recall he specifically mentioned the first time he heard "not fade away" at school... something about it resembling being run over by a train or words to that effect

mick jones was major keith freak although at the time i believe johnny thunders (another chip off the keith block) was his main man

as for 1977 - not a slagging of the stones on a musical level or any level at all imho - it's saying that in 1977 there were no bands who represented what the stones, elvis and beatles once "stood for" - whatever that was
30th March 2006 08:49 PM
sirmoonie Yeah, that was it - Not Fade Away. He found it cathartic.
30th March 2006 08:52 PM
FPM C10 "After I heard The Rolling Stones' 'Not Fade Away', I never paid attention to anything in school. Music was everything." - Joe Strummer

30th March 2006 08:54 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
He found it cathartic.

that's why i love the stones too...they are full of catharts!!

OK NOW

CATHART!!
30th March 2006 08:59 PM
sirmoonie Oops. Sorry, I've been drinking a wee bit. He found it cazartic.
30th March 2006 09:07 PM
Riffhard
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

as for 1977 - not a slagging of the stones on a musical level or any level at all imho - it's saying that in 1977 there were no bands who represented what the stones, elvis and beatles once "stood for" - whatever that was

Yeah,but see that's what I mean. They actually dug the Stones,but in 1977 the Stones,the Beatles,and Elvis were not relevant to the whole English punk scene. They were "old hat". So in a way they were castigating the old school just to shrug off the baggage of these living legends. It was a very punk attitude,but at it's core it's really just rock and roll with safty pins and leather.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
30th March 2006 09:09 PM
lotsajizz surprise---I agree with Riffhard here....envy on the Clash's part, barely concealed love

30th March 2006 09:11 PM
Riffhard Simpatico with Jizzy! Can you feel the love tonight?!

Riffy
30th March 2006 09:37 PM
lotsajizz concentrate on cognac and cigars and other smoke and lay off the politics, we might even have some shared musical tastes.....

fuck politics...

30th March 2006 09:48 PM
M.O.W.A.T. From: The Clash - Return Of The Last Gang In Town by Marcus Gray:

"Mick Jones attended a much larger free concert in the park headlined by the Rolling Stones. It was dedicated to founder member Brian Jones, who had drowned in his swimming pool just two days earlier. The emotionally charged occasion had a considerable effect on the starstruck Mick."

And later concerning an acquaintance of Mick Jones:

"'We had a fight in the Maths class on the floor in front of everybody about who was better: Bo Diddley or Chuck Berry.' Once they had settled their dispute, they found they had a lot in common. Not the least was a love of the Rolling Stones and - a little later - the Faces, the sloppy, goodtime rock'n'roll band fronted by Rod Stewart who were very much in the Stones tradition"

A pre-Clash band of Mick's also used to cover Little Queenie "...owing much to the Rolling Stones' reading of the song as immortalized on the 1970 live album Get Yer Ya Ya's Out."

Later after the Clash was formed:

Joe "...had a predilection for the sort of music that was intent on documenting its ills, from protest singers like Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan to counter-cultural commentators like the Rolling Stones:
30th March 2006 09:50 PM
pdog The Riffy & Jizzy love fest is an uninteneded side effect of my goal to bring peace and untiy to the boards... Get me on a plane to to the mid east...

The punk angst wasn't aimed at bands that rocked, as much as the ones who didn't... Like The Eagles, ELO ect... And defintely all the yawn and vomit inducing singer/songwriter crap that was influencing everyone to wear brown and attend meaningful theraputic sessions. People were strugglimg to deal with the reality of flared jeans and the onset of feathered hair. These were very fucked up times!
30th March 2006 10:12 PM
Riffhard
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
concentrate on cognac and cigars and other smoke and lay off the politics, we might even have some shared musical tastes.....

fuck politics...

The irony of this is that we have found common ground by agreeing about bands that told the world to fuck off! Irony! Or has Moonie would say,"Eye-row-knee!"

I agree you and I mixing politics is more dangerous than the Duke Lacross team at The Cheeta's Den Adult Emporium.

Riffy
31st March 2006 05:06 AM
geecee Even during the height of punk Mick Jones was a Keef clone.
He had the look,the drugs and a fascination with Rastafarian life.
31st March 2006 05:08 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think Riffhard pretty much nailed it on the head in regards to 1977. As I said before, it's common knowledge that the Clash liked the Stones, but it was fashionable and part of the whole punk thing to slag off any champagne swilling rock aristocrats like Mick & co. The Clash et al couldn’t of been further removed from them a the time. They were a band for the young and rebellious of the late 70's, not the 60's, like you know who.
31st March 2006 06:48 AM
Break The Spell I remember Mick making the comment that it was pointless anyway for bands like The Clash and Sex Pistols to rebel against the Stones, as keith is the original punk rocker. As far as the Clash go, all their albums are classic, except for the last one "Cut The Crap" which didn't have Mick Jones.
31st March 2006 06:59 AM
Zeeta Mick Jones's whole on-stage persona is based upon Keith's.

Just the way he moves, looks and acts it a no brainer - "you're my guitar hero!!"
31st March 2006 07:03 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Mick Jones's whole on-stage persona is based upon Keith's.

Just the way he moves, looks and acts it a no brainer - "you're my guitar hero!!"

There were also times he even had his hair.
31st March 2006 07:15 AM
FPM C10

There were times he even HAD hair!

I've heard rumors about a Clash reunion with the guy from Rancid subbing for Joe Strummer (see: Doors of the 21st Century). I hope Mick wears a wig (see: Bill Wyman) for those gigs!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)