ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Arriving in Sydney
Stephane L'hostis/GI - Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's Official. WEMBLEY shows moved to Twickenham (updated 31/3/06) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
30th March 2006 02:16 PM
glencar Egbert, have you seen Stoned yet?
30th March 2006 02:19 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Egbert, have you seen Stoned yet?

Stones> Japanese atrendance.
30th March 2006 02:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Stones> Japanese atrendance.

remember when a ten show stand in Japan was still not enough?
30th March 2006 02:22 PM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:
Egbert, have you seen Stoned yet?

No - why?
30th March 2006 02:23 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

remember when a ten show stand in Japan was still not enough?

Swedish Erik remains proud!!!!
30th March 2006 02:24 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Swedish Erik remains proud!!!!

He is quickly becoming one of the most resepected men from the Scandanavian area!
30th March 2006 02:29 PM
glencar
quote:
Egbert wrote:

No - why?

Well, I see you're in NYC & I thought you might have seen it. I'm on Long Island & it's not playing anywhere around here.

As for Swedish Erik, he is indeed the man! Always knows his stuff & that's a rare commodity.
30th March 2006 02:34 PM
Joey Moonie .................................

" What would Keith Moon circa 1976 (Put The Boot In, yes THAT Put The Boot In, Bootie Bootie) have thought of this un-Americanism behavior? "

Approved !!!!!!!!!

30th March 2006 02:38 PM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:

Well, I see you're in NYC & I thought you might have seen it. I'm on Long Island & it's not playing anywhere around here.

Thought about it but the reviews I've read have it as so-so. Will probably wait to rent the DVD. Besides, someone on this site spoiled it for me by revealing the ending.
30th March 2006 02:39 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

He is quickly becoming one of the most resepected men from the Scandanavian area!

We gave him the ball, and he ran with it!!!! Another success story!!!!
30th March 2006 02:53 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

We gave him the ball, and he ran with it!!!! Another success story!!!!

i hate to pound this in to the ground again....but we continue to make dreams come true!!!!!
30th March 2006 02:55 PM
Egbert Joey's wet dreams maybe.
30th March 2006 03:16 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

i hate to pound this in to the ground again....but we continue to make dreams come true!!!!!

*see tickets
30th March 2006 03:26 PM
glencar Joshy delivered on an all-important errand for me so he's the man!
30th March 2006 03:32 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy delivered on an all-important errand for me so he's the man!

He is no lackey !!!!

Smacky ! ®
30th March 2006 03:33 PM
glencar You shouldn't have inferred that from my post as I certainly didn't imply that. Scat, squarestater!
30th March 2006 04:04 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy delivered on an all-important errand for me so he's the man!

very similar to LLoyd from "Entourage"

30th March 2006 04:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

No fucking Stones this summer!

BV on the Tell Me board has stated that a re-scheduling of the dates to summer '07 is a strict no, no. So, they're going to have to play Twickenham and ADD a third date. Otherwise, there will be a few thousand unhappy campers!

it says nothing of the sort re: the Stones (which is why I've changed the title of this thread)

It mentions FOUR concerts being cancelled - ie, the two by Bon Jovi (June 10-11) and the two by Take That (two weeks later).

They're only confirming which anyone with a braincell woud have thought obvious. As they announced about 6 weeks ago that the stadium would NOT be ready for the FA Cup Final on May 13th (it had to be handed over by Multiplex on 31st March for this event to take place), those June shows were always under threat

However, it seems almost certain that the Stones shows in August and the 5 Robbie Williams shows in September will also not take place.

The title of the BBC thread is very confusing as it says it wont open until 2007 however - yet the rest of the article only mentions the 4 shows scheduled for June as being cancelled

The Stones, however, at least have a contingency plan, with Twickenham being supposedly reserved as an alternative venue. There are some logistical problems with that (see the separate Wembley thread) in that Twickenham's capacity for concerts is at least 20,000 less than Wembley, added to the fact that (unless they get special permission) they cant add a 3rd show to make up the shortfall on tickets sold (because the stadium can only be used for 3 shows per year and The fuckin EAGLES have a gig booked for June) plus the fact that the venue can only be used on weekends - primarily because of traffic congestion in the area. However, the Stones dont play back to back nights so thats a Saturday/Sunday double header ruled out

I think they will play two shows at Twickenham OK, but this might mean switching a couple of the other UK dates around so that they can take place on successive weekends. Unless they can get away with playing a Friday show and can then move one of the dates to the 18th, which is now free because of Dublin being cancelled.

It is possible that maybe they had the foresight to see a problem with the two different stadium capacities and didnt release ALL of the 70,000 + tickets for sale for each Wembley gig, but I seriously doubt they only put as little as 52,000 on sale for each show!
[Edited by Gazza]
30th March 2006 04:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

More than likely seats I'm afraid. I did answer this before. But I'm not sure about Twickenham, Gazza is the one to ask.

All Stones UK shows are all-seated (its not a health and safety thing as its unique to the Stones. Its just an excuse to make the ticket prices higher). Same as it was in 2003. So, Twickenham would be all seated on the pitch if the shows take place there.

I see Take That are using Milton Keynes Bowl as an alternative. Thats quite a trip outside of London and a certainly less glamourous surrounding, plus it wouldnt hold as many either, so maybe they'll have to add an extra date too. Thank fuck we're not going out there.

That news report also says that Bon Jovi may have to use Twickenham as well. Assuming the Stones got their licence application in first, I'd say they havent a chance of getting permission as well. Too many shows booked for that venue already
[Edited by Gazza]
30th March 2006 04:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Too bad this couldn't happen to all the German shows.

Dont YOU fuckin' start. I have tickets for Berlin as well!
30th March 2006 04:21 PM
glencar
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

very similar to LLoyd from "Entourage"

He's so sassy!
30th March 2006 04:22 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Dont YOU fuckin' start. I have tickets for Berlin as well!

Main Kampf! Why Berlin & where else are you going?
30th March 2006 04:34 PM
Gazza Loadsa reasons :

An interesting city I've always wanted to go to (being a history and politics student etc)

I can get direct flights quite cheap.

Jostorm's friend has a place there and they kindly offered me a place to stay. So, I have my own interpreters and tour guide(s)

The show is on a weekend, so dont have to take much time off.

Quite a few other folks I know going.

Other shows I'm going to are :

Nice (Mrs Gazza's goin' with me to this one. We've been there on holiday before, we can get direct flights and we're gonna make a mini holiday out of it)

London x 2 (wherever and whenever the fuck it takes place. Maybe it'll end up as "London x 3")

Glasgow (was gonna skip it as rs.com offered nothing worth a damn in their shitty presale but a week later got 4th row centre for £60 when a separate ticket outlet (secc.com) suddenly started selling tickets. Plus its a 25 minute flight from me. Chose that one over Dublin as its quicker to get to and wasnt a field concert. Looks like I made the right call (ADDA, etc)
30th March 2006 04:36 PM
glencar ADDA is for humps but it looks like you made the right move regardless. I hope to see both or all 3 London shows & that'll be my whole wad as it looks like Paris is a no go.
30th March 2006 04:45 PM
Gazza Four major concerts scheduled for the new Wembley stadium have been moved elsewhere because the venue will not be ready.

Work continues on Wembley

Bon Jovi shows on June 10 and 11, and Take That concerts on June 24 and 25 have been switched to the Milton Keynes Bowl. A statement on the Bon Jovi website said: "After contact with Wembley it is evident that the Stadium will not be ready for the Bon Jovi shows in June."

The official deadline for the hand-over of the stadium will be passed tomorrow but the Football Association is still waiting to hear when building work will be finished.

The construction company, Multiplex, is due to make an announcement on progress to the Australian stock exchange.

The FA has already decided to hold the FA Cup final on May 13 in Cardiff and contingency plans are in place to hold the Community Shield on August 13 there too.

Meanwhile, the Rugby Football League is expected to turn to Twickenham if, as expected, Wembley will not be pronounced ready to hold the Challenge Cup final on August 26.

Further summer concerts are scheduled for Wembley, with Robbie Williams and the Rolling Stones both due to play. It was unclear tonight whether they would be able to play.

The Stones are down to play two shows in August, while Williams is due to play five nights in September.

Multiplex has already admitted to a £106 million loss on Wembley but says that includes all the penalty clauses it will have to face for missing the hand-over.

Problems have continued to mount for Multiplex. Stadium contractors have been holding talks with unions in a bid to avoid hundreds of workers being laid off in a pay dispute. Workers were sent home for a day last week after a roof beam collapsed. There have also been problems with the sewers under the 90,000-seat stadium.

- Daily Telegraph
30th March 2006 04:46 PM
Gazza Music stars desert unfinished Wembley
7.19PM, Thu Mar 30 2006

Take That and Bon Jovi are moving the venue of their summer concert dates from Wembley to Milton Keynes Bowl due to delays in building work at the football stadium.

Take That's June 24 and 25 concerts and Bon Jovi's June 10 and 11 concerts scheduled at the troubled venue would now be moved to Milton Keynes.

A spokesman for the Rolling Stones said their Wembley concerts at the end of August were still scheduled: "At this point we're going ahead," he said.

Robbie Williams, who is also due to perform at the venue this summer, has made no statement.

Take That lead singer Gary Barlow said in a statement: "We're more than happy to hold the shows at Milton Keynes Bowl, it's going to look great."

Jon Bon Jovi said: "Having closed the original Wembley Stadium, it would have been a fitting honour to open the new one. However, the most important element was always the live concerts themselves."

The original deadline for completing the stadium had been autumn 2005, but the deadline was extended to the end of January and then March.

Now Wembley's builders are due to release an update on the project's progress.

They are expected to give a date for handing over the 90,000 seat venue to the operators, Wembley National Stadium Limited, reportedly in June.

Construction has been beset by a series of problems including a partial roof collapse, and issues with sewage pipes.

The original £325 million cost estimate for the project has more than doubled to £750 million.

www.itv.com/news
30th March 2006 04:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Loadsa reasons :

An interesting city I've always wanted to go to (being a history and politics student etc)

I can get direct flights quite cheap.

Jostorm's friend has a place there and they kindly offered me a place to stay. So, I have my own interpreters and tour guide(s)

The show is on a weekend, so dont have to take much time off.

Quite a few other folks I know going.

Other shows I'm going to are :

Nice (Mrs Gazza's goin' with me to this one. We've been there on holiday before, we can get direct flights and we're gonna make a mini holiday out of it)

London x 2 (wherever and whenever the fuck it takes place. Maybe it'll end up as "London x 3")

Glasgow (was gonna skip it as rs.com offered nothing worth a damn in their shitty presale but a week later got 4th row centre for £60 when a separate ticket outlet (secc.com) suddenly started selling tickets. Plus its a 25 minute flight from me. Chose that one over Dublin as its quicker to get to and wasnt a field concert. Looks like I made the right call (ADDA, etc)

you have picked up on ADDA quickly!
30th March 2006 05:22 PM
Honky Tonk Man [quote]Gazza wrote:

it says nothing of the sort re: the Stones (which is why I've changed the title of this thread)

Sorry Gazza!

It was the following quote from the article that made me jump to conclusions. It refers to the concerts in the past tense!

Take That, Robbie Williams and the Rolling Stones were also due to play over the summer.

30th March 2006 05:49 PM
Gazza Its quite misleading, Alex

Looking at it, I think the gist of it is that those 4 shows are the only ones that are CANCELLED - ie, OFFICIALLY

However, if the statement that the stadium isnt opening until 2007 has any validity, then its just a matter of the Stones' management confirming that the concerts will either be delayed until next year or (more likely) switched to another location in August

I'm unsure reading that statement on itv.com whether it means Multiplex will be making a STATEMENT in June re: the handover date or whether its saying that they hope to hand the stadium over in June. It will need to be the latter if the shows are going to go ahead. They cant leave this to June to decide whats happening with these concerts
30th March 2006 06:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot >They cant leave this to June to decide whats happening with these concerts<

LOL!

You underestimate Stones Inc. my friend! Just when you think that they can't screw ya any harder or deeper....they do!

And the REALLY funny thing is that everyone will bitch and moan, but they'll still all figure out a way to switch everything around so they can still go! Stones fans are the great enablers. And Stones Inc. takes full advantage of it.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)