ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Amsterdam May 1976
© 1976 Peter Mazel with thanks Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: EMI, Apple to Sell Songs Online (SSC) Return to archive
2nd April 2007 11:06 AM
Mel Belli What does this mean? How were the DRM restrictions referred to below any different than the ones from other record labels?

Associated Press Online

April 2, 2007 Monday 2:15 PM GMT

EMI, Apple to Sell Songs Online

EMI Group PLC on Monday announced a deal that will allow computer company Apple Inc. to sell the record company's songs online without copy protection software.

The agreement means that customers of Apple's iTunes store will soon be able to play downloaded songs by the Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, Coldplay and other top-selling artists without the copying restrictions once imposed by their label.

EMI said almost all of its catalog, excluding music by The Beatles, is included in the deal.

Singles and albums free from copy-protection software and with a higher sound quality will be offered as a premium product, the companies announced at a London news conference.

Consumers will pay a higher price for the premium singles, but the same price for albums either with or without the copy protection software.

The announcement follows calls by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs earlier this year for the world's four major record companies, including EMI, to start selling songs online without copy-protection software.

The software, known as DRM, is designed to combat piracy by preventing unauthorized copying, but can make downloading music difficult for consumers.

The software used by Apple does not work with competing services or devices, meaning that consumers can only download songs from iTunes to iPod music players. The linkages between the download services and players has drawn criticism from European industry regulators, who argue that it limits buyer choice.

Jobs argued there was little benefit to record companies selling more than 90 percent of their music without DRM on compact discs, then selling the remaining percentage online with DRM.

Some analysts suggest that lifting the software restrictions could boost sales of online music, which currently account for around 10 percent of global music sales.

EMI has acted as the distributor for The Beatles since the early 1960s, but The Beatles' music holding company, Apple Corps Ltd., has so far declined to allow the Fab Four's music on any Internet music services including iTunes.

The situation was exacerbated by a long-running trademark dispute between Apple Inc. and Apple Corps. That legal feud was resolved in February when the two companies agreed on joint use of the apple logo and name, a deal many saw as paving the way for an agreement for online access to the Fab Four's songs.

Apple Corps was founded by the Fab Four in 1968 and is still owned by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, the widow of John Lennon and the estate of George Harrison.
2nd April 2007 11:11 AM
Joey

Thanks Mel .

2nd April 2007 03:11 PM
gimmekeef Didnt this train leave the station a while back?...So now they figure I'll pay more ($1.25?) for a song I likely have already on a cd anyway?......Remind me to sell this stock short.......
2nd April 2007 03:13 PM
glencar What a waste of time!
2nd April 2007 03:13 PM
Mel Belli There must be some news in there; the AP writer just isn't reporting it very clearly.
2nd April 2007 03:16 PM
gimmekeef Unless some of these so called premium tunes are unreleased I cant see how it makes any sense....Hell theres software now that removes the copy protection (see Sound Taxi for instance)
2nd April 2007 03:20 PM
chevysales http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17902329/

EMI, Apple offer protection-free downloads
Almost whole catalog, excluding music by The Beatles, is included

• Apple, EMI to offer protection-free downloads
April 2: Apple teams with EMI to sell songs online without restrictions on sharing. CNBC's technology reporter, Jim Goldman, reports.
CNBC

MSN Tech and Gadgets

• Spend less on printing and get better results
• Practical tips for a healthy PC
• The threats you can't see

Related Stories | What's this?
• Apple, EMI announcement a good first step
• Apple Wants Music Companies To Change Their Tune
• Talk about a Revolution! Beatles music on iTunes?
• CNBC's Schacknow: All You Need Is Money
• Apple, EMI To Make Music Available Without Anti-Piracy Software

Updated: 10:51 a.m. ET April 2, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO - EMI Group PLC on Monday announced a deal that will allow computer company Apple Inc. to sell the record company's songs online without copy protection software.

The agreement means that customers of Apple's iTunes store will soon be able to play downloaded songs by the Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, Coldplay and other top-selling artists without the copying restrictions once imposed by their label.

EMI said almost all of its catalog, excluding music by The Beatles, is included in the deal.

Singles and albums free from copy-protection software and with a higher sound quality will be offered as a premium product, the companies announced at a London news conference.

Consumers will pay a higher price for the premium singles, but the same price for albums either with or without the copy protection software.

The announcement follows calls by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs earlier this year for the world's four major record companies, including EMI, to start selling songs online without copy-protection software.

The software, known as DRM, is designed to combat piracy by preventing unauthorized copying, but can make downloading music difficult for consumers.

The software used by Apple does not work with competing services or devices, meaning that consumers can only download songs from iTunes to iPod music players. The linkages between the download services and players has drawn criticism from European industry regulators, who argue that it limits buyer choice.

Jobs argued there was little benefit to record companies selling more than 90 percent of their music without DRM on compact discs, then selling the remaining percentage online with DRM.

Some analysts suggest that lifting the software restrictions could boost sales of online music, which currently account for around 10 percent of global music sales.

EMI has acted as the distributor for The Beatles since the early 1960s, but The Beatles' music holding company, Apple Corps Ltd., has so far declined to allow the Fab Four's music on any Internet music services including iTunes.

Krakow: Apple, EMI announcement a good first step
Discuss: Right move by music label?
iPhone: The elusive star of CTIA

The situation was exacerbated by a long-running trademark dispute between Apple Inc. and Apple Corps. That legal feud was resolved in February when the two companies agreed on joint use of the apple logo and name, a deal many saw as paving the way for an agreement for online access to the Fab Four's songs.

Apple Corps was founded by the Fab Four in 1968 and is still owned by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, the widow of John Lennon and the estate of George Harrison.

2nd April 2007 03:26 PM
gimmekeef If you want Beatles including boots here is a secure pay site where whole albums download for average $2.50+ and songs at 19 cents ea...It works and is secure...:

http://www.gomusic.ru/artist.aspx?id=97
[Edited by gimmekeef]
2nd April 2007 03:26 PM
Mel Belli All right, I got it now: So you'll able to buy Norah Jones, etc. on iTunes and play it on a non-Apple MP3 player? Are other labels expected to follow?
2nd April 2007 03:31 PM
gimmekeef This smells...watch for a price drop soon on Ipods..then a new version with some form of higher song quality...once again only playable on an I pod.....Apple wont give this edge up....
2nd April 2007 03:34 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
This smells...watch for a price drop soon on Ipods..then a new version with some form of higher song quality...once again only playable on an I pod.....Apple wont give this edge up....

I'm all for anti-Apple paranoia, but I think it's within the realm of possibility that Steve Jobs wasn't lying when he said labels wouldn't license their music to Apple without DRM.
2nd April 2007 03:36 PM
chevysales i pay for no music via the internet... i do buy cd's once in a while... last one i bought i got rripped off on and it was the stones last release...

back to downloads... longing for the days of winMX...
2nd April 2007 03:59 PM
Rodney_King in the hood, we get our music for .15 a track.

www.gomusic.ru
2nd April 2007 04:04 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Rodney_King wrote:
in the hood, we get our music for .15 a track.

www.gomusic.ru

Yes...although they charge 19 cents for Beatles....At that rate Stones should be 89 cents!
2nd April 2007 07:47 PM
fireontheplatter burnt cds are the way for me.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)