ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Amsterdam May 1976
© 1976 Peter Mazel with thanks Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "The Frame" by Frank Zappa Return to archive
31st March 2007 02:10 AM
Brainbell Jangler This is a short excerpt from The Real Frank Zappa Book which I think speaks to all music fans. It's called "The Frame":

The most important thing in art is The Frame. For painting, literally; for other arts: figuratively--because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins.

You have to put a 'box' around it because otherwise, what is that shit on the wall?

If John Cage, for instance, says, "I'm putting a contact microphone on my throat, and I'm going to drink carrot juice, and that's my composition," then his gurgling qualifies as his composition because he put a frame around it and said so. "Take it or leave it, I now will this to be music." After that it's a matter of taste. Without the frame-as-announced, it's a guy swallowing carrot juice.

So, if music is the best, what is music? Anything can be music, but it doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music.

Most people can't deal with that abstraction--or don't want to. They say: "Gimme the tune. Do I like this tune? Does it sound like another tune that I like? The more familiar it is, the better I like it. Hear those three notes there? Those are the three notes I can sing along with. I like those notes very, very much. Give me a beat. Not a fancy one. Give me a GOOD BEAT--something I can dance to. It has to go boom-bap, boom-boom-BAP. If it doesn't, I will hate it very, very much. Also, I want it right away--and then, write me some more songs like that--over and over and over again, because I'm really into music."

31st March 2007 02:28 AM
voodoopug I have developed hideous flatulence from tonites activities.
31st March 2007 02:30 AM
Altamont
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
I have developed hideous flatulence from tonites activities.

31st March 2007 02:37 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Altamont wrote:

That post is not "A list" work. I expect better.
31st March 2007 02:39 AM
Altamont
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

That post is not "A list" work. I expect better.

The "A List" is nonsense. Much like the enemies list.
31st March 2007 02:40 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Altamont wrote:

The "A List" is nonsense. Much like the enemies list.

Yoga is not for everyone.
31st March 2007 02:42 AM
Altamont
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Yoga is not for everyone.

neither is Yoda

31st March 2007 02:43 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Altamont wrote:

neither is Yoda

Sadly, my pugs are very disappointed that I have only been home 1 day during the last 2 weeks.
31st March 2007 02:46 AM
Altamont
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, my pugs are very disappointed that I have only been home 1 day during the last 2 weeks.

Did your Pug recover OK? I havn't seen you around here in a long time.
31st March 2007 02:47 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Altamont wrote:

Did your Pug recover OK? I havn't seen you around here in a long time.

Yes he did. He did gain 2 lbs. during recovery due to muscular atrophy though. Unfortunately, I have really put alot on my plate business wise and have made the decision to devote more of my spare time to professional development/growth. I miss my friends at Rocks Off, particularly Voodoo's tent.
31st March 2007 02:55 AM
Altamont
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Yes he did.

Glad to hear it, take care Voodoopug.
31st March 2007 02:58 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Altamont wrote:

Glad to hear it, take care Voodoopug.

rest well!
31st March 2007 03:00 AM
Brainbell Jangler OK, so what do you two think about Zappa's critique of self-styled "music lovers"?
31st March 2007 03:03 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
OK, so what do you two think about Zappa's critique of self-styled "music lovers"?

Sadly, he attempted to present his opinions as "smarter than the average music listener" and failed miserably.
31st March 2007 03:10 AM
Brainbell Jangler Boom-bap, boom-boom-BAP.
31st March 2007 08:28 AM
GotToRollMe I like it very, very much! Seriously, it's an interesting read. I don't know if I'd agree in terms of rock and roll - it is, at its core, primal - but for the "higher" arts it certainly applies.

Thanks for trying, Brainbell, but this thread will probably be buried under the pile of "appreciation" that's been stinking up the place in the past few days.
1st April 2007 01:09 AM
keefjunkie i love frank.
1st April 2007 11:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl me too! Frank was the best
1st April 2007 12:06 PM
MrPleasant Frank was right. Even "conceptual art" -something by Christo, like giant umbrellas in a landscape- is validated when the "creator" presents it as "art". (Otherwise, it's just a bunch of stupid umbrellas.)
1st April 2007 12:18 PM
Stones Security I maintain the lists around here in case you sickos had any doubts.

The A-list is alive and well and has 16 names on it.
I cannot reveal the members as a matter of security.
Suffice it to say, if you think you are on it, you are probably wrong.

And the asshole list has only one person on it, jizzstain!
Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

3rd April 2007 12:16 AM
Kilroy
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
i love frank.

I miss Frank and very glad to have seen him in the early 80's.
3rd April 2007 09:04 AM
Chuck King Kong 1968 BBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3Dq82Q1bQ

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)