ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When / What / Where / How and Why - Charlie's Off the Rails Phase? Return to archive
April 4th, 2005 09:38 AM
Zeeta What happened etc? Or was this a load of shite?

Anyone have any good stories or information?

Cheers...
April 4th, 2005 09:59 AM
BILL PERKS STARTED USING AMPHETAMINES AND HEROIN SOMETIME AROUND 1983 CLEANED UP AT THE END OF 86..WAS ALSO A HEAVY DRINKER AND SMOKER.WISED UP AND IT SAVED HIS LIFE.
April 4th, 2005 12:01 PM
Zeeta Cheers Perks.

Did he perform during this period?

Anyone have any pix of him as a junkie?! Interesting.
April 4th, 2005 12:23 PM
erikjjf The Charlie Watts Orchestra played a number of shows in 85-86
April 4th, 2005 02:36 PM
kath yeah, watch the orchestra dvd, he was pretty blitzed, but the whole orchestra was, pretty much.

it was during this phase that he broke a limb, a leg i think, falling down the steps of his wine cellar.
April 4th, 2005 02:37 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Cheers Perks.

Did he perform during this period?

Anyone have any pix of him as a junkie?! Interesting.

The picture of him on the Dirty Work sleeve is him as a junkie. He looks a tierd old man there.
April 4th, 2005 03:41 PM
kath exactly. that's why i hate that album so much..charlie was totally wssted.
April 4th, 2005 04:42 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
kath wrote:
exactly. that's why i hate that album so much..charlie was totally wssted.

It's enough to get good guitar work out of Ronnie, let alone ask him to play drums too.
April 4th, 2005 09:04 PM
Gazza From the always excellent timeisonourside.com :

(My drug and alcohol problems were) my way of dealing with (family problems)... Looking back on it, I think it was a mid-life crisis. All I know is that I became totally another person around 1983 and came out of it about 1986. I nearly lost my wife and everything over my behaviour. I was not particularly fun to live with. I would have died... I just stopped everything. I barely ate for 2 months, because I'd started to get fat from the drinking.

- Charlie Watts, 2000

(Drugs) are very hard to give up. For me, anyway. I didn't even take that many. I wasn't that badly affected, I wasn't a junkie, but giving up (amphetamines and heroin) was very, very hard. Much, much harder than the rest of it... (I stopped when) I slipped down the steps when I was in the cellar getting a bottle of wine... (I)t really brought it home to me how far down I'd gone. I just stopped everything - drinking, smoking, taking drugs, everything, all at once. I just thought, enough is enough.

- Charlie Watts, 2000

Charlie's drug problem was never made public until Q magazine asked him about it in (I think) 1994. They mentioned to him that he'd been seen leaving a rehab clinic a few years earlier and he simply confessed that at that time (mid 80's) that he had developed a heroin problem.

Some of his mid 80's behaviour was quite bizarre, and in retrospect much of it (including this hilarious story as told by Bill on the Letterman show in 1985) could be explained by the problem he had at the time :

http://www.timeisonourside.com/Bill.html

Mick Jagger refused to tour behind Dirty Work in 1986 and the already simmering rift with Keith almost ended up breaking up the band. Mick to this day insists that he was 100% right in doing so, and when you look back at it now, he probably was. He said at the time that not only were the relationships within the band at a low ebb but physically "the band wasnt fit to cross the Champs Elysees let alone go on a tour". At the time, the public didnt know about Charlie's problems so everyone simply assumed Ronnie and/or Keith werent up to it instead.

had they toured behind that album, they may NOT still be around as a band.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 5th, 2005 12:07 AM
texile that's another thing i respect about jagger.........instead of holding charlie or anyone responsible - he covers thier ass like a friend should without blame.
April 5th, 2005 09:15 AM
Zeeta

Here he is with John Stevens and Bill Eyden - 1985 doesnt look that fucked???

1988 with Ronnie Scott he DOES look fucked but hadn't he cleaned up by then???

April 5th, 2005 10:05 AM
HellsRollingThunder Congratulations to Charlie for hitting bottom and realizing he has
a serious disease. I wish him well and c ontinued days of being
clean and sober. One Day at a Time Charlie Keep Going.
[Edited by HellsRollingThunder]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood