ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: KISS, Nugent, Sambora, Godsmack, Hootie Live Review Return to archive
April 2nd, 2005 05:59 AM
Taptrick All live at Camp Pendleton, California, on the beach...but it's 3am - I'm drunk - I'm tired - great show - review tomorrow.
April 2nd, 2005 06:57 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
All live at Camp Pendleton, California, on the beach...but it's 3am - I'm drunk - I'm tired - great show - review tomorrow.

Awaiting!

Good rest. Hangovers........expect them.....
April 2nd, 2005 02:29 PM
Taptrick

Not too bad of a hangover JJFlash....just a LOT of dehydration it seems...

To preface, I have to say you need to set aside personal feelings for the military and some of the bands to truly appreciate the energy and desire to do good for this event. Some of the bands I don't technically even consider music...but they all gave 150% effort and seemed to genuinely enjoy doing this. If you are anti-US military try to remember that a lot of 18 year old kids end up enlisting without having any idea what they are getting themselves into and they have their lives turned up-side-down and sideways psychologically. This was a thanks to everyone for living that lifestyle.

Performers included Ted Nugent, Godsmack, Richie Sambora, Hootie & the Blowfish, rapper Ja Rule, Destiny's Child, and KISS closing the show. The event was hosted by Cederick the Entertainer. Comedians Louie Anderson, Jay Mohr, and Chris Rock did short stand-up bits. Making guest appearances were Sharon Stone, Marisa Tomei, Cindy Crawford, Mary J. Blige, Heather Locklear, Richie Sambora, Michelle Rodriguez, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennie Garth, Frankie J. and Randy Jackson, a judge on "American Idol." The Hooter Girls and The Sand Diego Charger cheerleaders also did brief stage numbers.

This was advertised as a concert for military and family only. Free but you had to have a ticket. I'm Air Force but some of our friends were not. We sensed from previous similar events they wouldn't actually collect tickets and this turned out to be true. Probably a huge disappointment to some fans of these bands that saw the event as one they could not attend. Then again, I don't know if anyone could have gotten on the base without the vehicle sticker anyway. My group of 7 arrived about 6PM. One guy was a friend of my neighbor's that just moved from Boston...so this was a pretty cool welcome to San Diego. We ended up having to park about two miles away by the Marine barracks. They had dozens of buses running. I think they were hoping for 30,000 but it seemed closer to 20,000 to me....hard to tell at one of these events though. Regardless, it was a very appreciating crowd.

As best I can remember, this was the show: Ted Nugent opened up with a distorted wha-wha version of the National Anthem.

I believe Godsmack came out next. I had heard of them but never seen them. They were very heavy and really energized the crowd. The young kids really got into it. I don't know their songs but my favorite at this show seemed to incorporate the lyrics "I'm doing the best I can." They also brought an E-6 Staff Sergeant up on stage. He had won a shred contest at Camp Pendleton and they let him do his solo act while the band backed him and then segged into a Godsmack song. The Marines loved it and it went over well.

I think Ted went next. Godsmack's band backed him for Cat Scratch Fever and Stranglehold. I saw Ted about 20-25 years ago and have almost no memory of the concert so I was anxious to hear Stranglehold again. It was a surging rocker with a lengthy instrumental exploration section much like the studio and Double Live Gonzo versions. I love the solo off Gonzo and Ted had all those effects working well.

Heather Locklear came out with her beautiful daughter that seemed to be about 8-12. She talked about her father being a retired Lt Col (?) and growing up as a Marine brat. Then she introduced her husband, Ritchie Sambora. Ritchie actually mentioned his father-in-law had been stationed right there at Camp Pendleton. I think he said the man retired from there. Ritchie really surprised me. He came out with a double kneck. I thought for sure that meant he was going to play Wanted dead or Alive. I guess this is when the beer started to hit me good because I am having a hard time remembering his set. We brought two coolers and we were also buying vendor beer in the audience to preserve our stash. Regardless, Ritchie was good. I was expecting Bon Jovi pop. And he did that but with Ritchie on vocals and acoustic, the songs came across with a real down-to-earth feeling. He was good enough to make me want to check out his solo stuff. He did a real cool thing where he went into a highly recognized classic rock song for like 30 seconds (can't recall name - beer haze) and segged into Wanted Dead or Alive. Ritchie's performance made me think he is creatively hindered by Bon Jovi...and his vocals were equal to John's. My Navy friend who is a HUGE Bon Jovi fan said "John Who?"

Hootie! Awesome. This was no Burger King commercial with Darius singing Rocky Top Mountain (yes that is him). I don't know Hootie's song title's but I think they did Wasting Time, I Only Want To Be With You, and an acoustic version of "Ride Wit Me" by Nelly with fantastic audience interaction. Went over well with a good sense of humor.

Jah Rule and Destiny's Child - need I say more? Not one instrument or musician on the stage. No drums, no guitars, no keyboards...nothing. Nothing more than a karaoke act with choreography. Jah Rule I at least think was live to a tape. We think Destiny's Child was lip-snyc. We had made it up to about 20 yards by that point and it seemed very artificial. The sad thing to me is seeing how well the younger generation received this. Having said that - I know this is what these acts do and this is what they are about. I was glad to see their fans enjoyed it and appreciated the acts showing. Jah Rule also brought up some local Marine act that did a little more karaoke on stage with him.

By this point we were about halfway between the guy in this photo and the stage. This assault vehicle had a Hooter Girl and another female on top with the guys by the end of the night.

KISS - I did not think they would headline. I did not think they would be well received. They were. There was a lot of energy and they had everything on a scaled down level. Fire, fireworks, explosions, 30 foot rising drum set. They opened with Detroit Rock City and I remember them playing Duece, God Gave Rock in Roll(?), and Rock and Roll All Night. They ended with fireworks on stage that transitioned into a full-out professional display launched from a jetty about 100 yards out in the ocean. The fireworks were incredible. A good 20 minute display.

I was disappointed that Gene did not incorporate any blood or fire breathing into the act. A friend of mine said "...that sure doesn't look like the guy that was on the apprentice..." I said no - that's him. And I really do think that - but it made me wonder how anyone would know if they got a good stand-in. Gene did seem to have more hair than he has in real-life. Perhaps extensions or a special piece for the vampire look.

Great show - great time. Thank you Quincy Jones
[Edited by Taptrick]
April 2nd, 2005 03:06 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
If you are anti-US military try to remember that a lot of 18 year old kids end up enlisting without having any idea what they are getting themselves into and they have their lives turned up-side-down and side ways psychologically. This was a thanks to everyone for living that lifestyle.

Performers included Ted Nugent, Godsmack, Richie Sambora, Hootie & the Blowfish, rapper Ja Rule, Destiny's Child, and KISS closing the show.

No offense, but it sounds like whoever was in charge of rounding up the "talent" was decidedly anti-US military. Are you sure you weren't at the county fair?
April 3rd, 2005 01:33 PM
Taptrick No offense taken. I'm sure there were some performers there that would classify themselves as anti-war but i don't know about anti-US military. Everyone that spoke had favorable comments to make. Quincy Jones made about a five-minute speech about how thankful he was. Quincy has helped produce similar events for troops overseas. Those involved with him were Jospeh Robert Jr, Frederick Smith, Jerry Inzerillo, Doc McGhee, and Spencer Proffer. I don't know anything about anybody but Quincy except that, I believe it is Mr Robert who has a son who joined the Corps two years ago and is on deployment.

Here's a few more pics. I enjoyed seeing KISS since I have been a fan since around 1977 but never saw the band for whatever reason - well I caught them just at the end I guess. To truly appreciate these photos you have to remember the band is looking out over the audience with the Pacific Ocean less than 100 yards off to their left.

By the way - I know KISS releases a ton of confetti but man...imagine a beach with so much confetti on it you can't see the sand.
[Edited by Taptrick]
April 3rd, 2005 10:53 PM
Soldatti For god's sake...
Kiss is touring still?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood