ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Got new Book -Complete Recording Sessions......From Ian Return to archive
March 31st, 2005 05:09 AM
IanBillen I just got The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions from 62-02 by Martin Elliot. It tells of all their recording consiting of the time frame, who played what, who produced what, who engineered the track etc. etc.

If anyone has a question about a song ..rare bootlegs and all just post it and I can look it up and tell you when it was recorded, where, and the story behind it.

Try to keep in mind. Not all of this info on certain songs may be the exact facts. Being as alot of it is specualtive being as alot of songs were never officially released. However it is truly the best quality educated guess you can get.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 31st, 2005 06:18 AM
Gazza Martin's a regular visitor here and on many of the other sites, although I think he only really posts on Shidoobee. I've met him a couple of times (including at our get together before Ronnie's show the other week when he was there with his wife) and he's a great bloke.

He did a bloody fine job on the updated version of that book because, speaking from experience, cataloguing Stones sessions and pinning them down to exact dates is an extremely hard task mainly due to the way in which they often hold recording sessions
[Edited by Gazza]
March 31st, 2005 07:27 AM
Stray Cat UK Maybe Matin would prefer us to BUY the book ?

It is a great reference book .Before I had internet access ,it was my main source of info. on rare / bootleg tracks.

scuk
March 31st, 2005 11:01 AM
Vinyl kills Ordering info please
March 31st, 2005 11:41 AM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
Ordering info please

http://www.stonessessions.com/
March 31st, 2005 12:01 PM
Cocaine Eyes Just love that book. I couldn't be without it.
March 31st, 2005 03:16 PM
IanBillen
Oh I see. I had no idea so many had this book. Well I am glad you all enjoy it as well. And tell Martin excellent job.

Ian
March 31st, 2005 03:35 PM
Gazza You just did.

You can also get it from amazon too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1901447049/qid=1112301424/sr=1-7/br_lfbnb_b_7/202-1304799-1379019

Theres a glowing review there by someone who is quite possibly the greatest lover in the world...(not the Spanish or Finnish reviewers). When you've bought and enjoyed it, feel free to add your own.

[Edited by Gazza]
March 31st, 2005 04:46 PM
Back Street Girl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You just did.

You can also get it from amazon too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1901447049/qid=1112301424/sr=1-7/br_lfbnb_b_7/202-1304799-1379019

Theres a glowing review there by someone who is quite possibly the greatest lover in the world...(not the Spanish or Finnish reviewers). When you've bought and enjoyed it, feel free to add your own.

[Edited by Gazza]

That's funny your from from Belfast, Northern Ireland too
March 31st, 2005 04:51 PM
gotdablouse I'm still very fond of the first edition that came out in 1990 that took me into the (at the time) dark world of bootleg collecting, buying CDs from shady characters who were between stints in jail...you guys think upgrading to v2 makes sense ?

Too bad Martin didn't have access to the actual master tapes like Karnbach did for his book in 1997 but he neglected to write anything meaningful (in fact nothing at all) about the unreleased songs that were mentioned for the first time in that book.
March 31st, 2005 05:07 PM
Gazza The first book is an enjoyable read, but research-wise its night and day compared to the second version.

The update is simply better done and there's so much more well-sourced information to draw on second time around.

James Karnbach's book is a great read too but some of the factual innacuracies are extremely sloppy considering the information easily available.

As long as you accept that there's no 'definitive' tome on the Stones recorded history (and won't be until the band themselves somehow make all of the day-by-day history of their recording sessions open to some writer), then there's a lot to be found from both books, but in different ways. Martin's is stronger on the recording sessions (which is what he deals with pretty exclusively) info although James deals with other aspects of the band's history in a more biographical way. Apples and oranges, I guess!

Being something of a nerd on Stones history myself, I like them both but for different reasons.

Don't forget the great historical works by the likes of Nico Zentgraf, Felix Aeppli,Dieter Hoffmann etc too, plus the numerous great works on the work by Nico (again), Harold Colson, Ian McPherson, Henrik Mulder and countless others. As you know, theres a lot of great work documenting the Stones' recorded history that tends to get overlooked amongst all the lightweight stuff.
[Edited by Gazza]
March 31st, 2005 06:19 PM
gotdablouse Quick update, my cash is on its way to Martin, 30 euros to go back 15 years in time isn't bad ;-)
March 31st, 2005 09:24 PM
Soldatti Amazing book, full of info and facts.
April 1st, 2005 04:08 AM
IanBillen
I just wrote a high review on this book at the Amazon.UK. web-site. I didn't see it but I'll check tommorow to see if the upload completes.

Reguardless,
I figured this would be a good place to post how informative the book is. I also stated every true Rolling Stones historian should get this book.

Ian
April 1st, 2005 07:18 AM
Mr Hess Excellent book-a must own for all Stones fans!
April 1st, 2005 08:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Definitively a must, buy it. IMHO the best is Nico Zentragf's bible as it includes sessions, live works, guest appearances in both studio and on stage and all the works as musicians. Buy them all!

They are so necessary and essential that the new Iraq's government decided to put them in all their libraries and schools programs, here we have some students happy with them

April 1st, 2005 09:02 AM
glencar Well, I bought the first Stones' sessions book about 15 years ago & then I bought the sequel just a ciuple of years back. I read the first one cover to cover because back then there weren't that many things about the Stones & there was no internet (at least in my life). Now the new one seems much more complete but I haven't skimmed it more than a few times.
April 2nd, 2005 12:57 AM
IanBillen
Lots of really interesting tid-bits in this book that you just WILL NOT find any other place.

Here is one from just last night.

Did you know:
You Got Me Rocking on Voodoo Lounge in which Keith plucks at the opening chords on his guitar with a stick that he found in Ronnie's garden instead of a guitar pick. This was used on the actual recording. It is labled as the "mystery guitar" on the album credits themselves.
Keith must of tried it and liked the sound.

Ian
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood