ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock's biggest smokers Return to archive
March 30th, 2005 05:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Rock's biggest smokers
March 18, 2005 MUS0318.BAR
Startribune.com

His muttonchops may give Lemmy Kilmister a permanent scowl. But if you really want to see him mad, get him talking about smoking in bars.

Standing outside his favorite Los Angeles bar (the Rainbow) on Sunset Boulevard, he was told that Motorhead's gig Wednesday at First Avenue will be one of the last before a smoking ban begins March 31 for Hennepin County bars and restaurants. Even though California, where he has lived for 15 years, has banned smoking in bars since 1998, Kilmister doesn't like the laws.

"You should leave it up to the landlord," not the government, he growled.

Expect Lemmy to light up at First Avenue. He's one of rock's famous on-stage smokers -- and so are these guys:

Keith Richards and Ron Wood: When the Rolling Stones guitarists puffed away during a live TV concert in New York City two years ago, Mayor Michael Bloomberg supposedly ordered police to cite them for busting the city's smoking ban. "A total fabrication," the band and hizzoner said later.

John Mellencamp: After cancer took George Harrison's life in 2001, he told an interviewer, "I'd like to quit tonight, but, you know, I'm weak."

Slash: The first album by his post-Guns 'N Roses band Slash's Snakepit featured a top-hatted viper on the cover, puffing on a heater.

Eddie Van Halen was a notorious chain-smoker until learning in 2000 that he had tongue cancer. "I started smoking, drinking and playing the guitar at age 12," he once said.

Tom Waits: The smoky-voiced singer stopped years ago, but lit one up with Iggy Pop in last year's film "Coffee and Cigarettes." Waits deadpanned: "Well, I can smoke one cigarette, because I quit."

Kid Rock vowed to kick the habit last year: "One thing that'll make you quit smoking is sitting across from Keith Richards all night. I don't mind being ugly, but I sure don't want to look like that."
March 30th, 2005 06:42 AM
padre Keith:"I don't mind being a lousy singer, but I sure don't want to sound like Kid Rock."
March 30th, 2005 09:07 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think being a rock star and smoking go hand in hand and always will do. Even today, all the young bands smoke.
March 30th, 2005 03:30 PM
MrPleasant JON WINOKUR - When you are out and around, do you encounter much anti-smoking sentiment?

FRANK ZAPPA - [Lighting a cigarette] Well, I'm not here to impinge on anybody else's lifestyle. If I'm in a place where I know I'm going to harm somebody's health or somebody asks me to please not smoke, I just go outside and smoke. But I do resent the way the nonsmoking mentality has been imposed on the smoking minority. Because, first of all, in a democracy, minorities do have rights. And, second, the whole pitch about smoking has gone from being a health issue to a moral issue, and when they reduce something to a moral issue, it has no place in any kind of legislation, as far as I'm concerned.

JON WINOKUR - But if you look at the studies, side-stream smoke is harmful.

FRANK ZAPPA - I'm not buying the data. First of all, it comes to you from the United States government. If you thought by stamping out all tobacco smoke in the United States you were going to improve the quality of life for everybody in the country, you'd be a lunatic. The things that will really harm you, the government won't
touch.

JON WINOKUR - For example?

FRANK ZAPPA - Dioxin in toilet paper, dioxin in tampons, dioxin in water filters, dioxin in coffee filters, dioxin in tea bags, dioxin in your vegetables because of the runoff from paper plants. Why do they have to bleach paper to make it white, anyway? It seems paltry, punitive, and insignificant to go after smokers, who are not
an insignificant minority but about forty-five percent of the population. The way I would deal with the problem is induce *more* people to smoke, make them the majority and then... kick ass!

JON WINOKUR - Have you ever tried quitting?

FRANK ZAPPA - A couple of times. The one time I really tried the hardest was when I had a chest cold and I was in the middle of a tour. We were in Canada and I had to travel every day and sing every night in these cold, hockey rink-type places. I really didn't feel very well and every time I would smoke with this cold it just
made it worse. So I decided to try to quit for a while, and I managed not to smoke for about a week or ten days. Then my sense of smell started coming back and the hotel we were staying at, which *looked* okay, actually smelled very, very bad. Something in the hall- the rugs maybe. In fact, the whole world didn't smell very
good, and within a week my cold went away and I was smoking again.

http://home.online.no/~corneliu/curmudge.htm

March 31st, 2005 08:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
FRANK ZAPPA - I'm not buying the data. First of all, it comes to you from the United States government.

LOL.
March 31st, 2005 02:20 PM
egon i would have made a great rocker in the mid 90s;
2 packs a day (3 on friday's &saturday's)
aaah, those were the days...
April 1st, 2005 11:24 PM
polksalad69 check out Lemmy's fingers

http://community.webshots.com/photo/71914699/71915989FppdNJ

no that's not me w/him

Jon Dee Graham has that Tom Waits thing goin on.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood