ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 Tour Underway Tonight Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 28th, 2005 05:49 PM
Poplar
Tour starts tonight in San Diego, but thy did something pretty cool over the weekend. I'll post a setlist from tonight's show as soon as I get it. I have a friend down there for the big kick-off.

----------

LOS ANGELES, CA Monday Mar.28.2005 /netmusiccountdown.com/ -- Over the weekend, some lucky fans were treated to a free U2 concert at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. U2.com reports that the Irish band was in Los Angeles for final dress rehearsals for its Vertigo//2005 tour, which kicks off tonight (March 28) in San Diego. U2 invited fans who were waiting outside the arena to come in and watch the practice run-through. Saturday's dress-rehearsal audience also included radio contest winners.

The practice show opened with the new song "City of Blinding Lights" and closed with an old U2 favorite, "40." U2 also performed many other songs from throughout their 25-year career, including tracks off "Boy," "October," "Unforgettable Fire," "Joshua Tree," "Achtung Baby," "All That You Can't Leave Behind," and "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." Production insiders told U2.com that U2 has been rehearsing a huge number of songs, so the set list could change from night to night.

After U2's dress rehearsal ended, fans leaving the show were given a chocolate egg in honor of Easter.
March 28th, 2005 05:57 PM
Joey
" I'll post a setlist from tonight's show as soon as I get it. "

< ----- Thanks Poplar !
March 28th, 2005 06:13 PM
GimmeExile Here is the setlist and show notes from the rehearsal show Saturday night.

From Interference.com

Saturday, March 26, 2005
SPOILER: Saturday's "dress rehearsal" setlist & notes
Here's the report from @U2 staff inside the LA Sports Arena tonight. Major, major spoilers ahead......

Setlist

City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment...
Yahweh
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still

(break for human rights video)

Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo

(break)

Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
All Because of You

Song notes:

* Larry plays keyboards during "Yahweh"
* during "Love and Peace or Else", Larry is at the edge of the egg when the song starts, playing drums there; during the middle of the song, he goes back to the main stage and drums from there, while Bono drums at the edge of the egg
* during "Zoo Station", Edge is using a "Vertigo" guitar -- black with the red circles on it
* "Streets" does not have a red-colored background; flags of the countries on the African continent are shown behind the band instead
* "40" is performed as it was 20 years ago -- each band member leaves the stage one-at-a-time, and Larry ends the show with a brief drum solo

Stage notes:

* very simple stage, clean - just Larry's drums, Edge's stuff, keyboards, and lots of room for Bono to move around
* 3-level video screen
* main stage is shaped like the "Vertigo" spirals
* the "egg" extends further out onto the floor than the Elevation "heart" did
* there's no b-stage at the far end of the egg, but there is enough room for the band to play, just like on the Elevation Tour
March 28th, 2005 06:46 PM
Poplar i decided against posting this teaser, but since it's here, damn!

quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
Zoo Station

40!!!!!!!! Electric Co.!!!!!! An Cat Dubh!!!!!
I always loved Zoo Station too. can't wait for San Jose.
March 28th, 2005 07:58 PM
M.O.W.A.T. When I saw U2 in 1987, for the song 40, The Edge and Adam Clayton switched instruments for the song. I thought that was pretty cool.
March 28th, 2005 09:00 PM
Soldatti The stage pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38353360@N00/7739009/
March 28th, 2005 09:26 PM
Poplar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The stage pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38353360@N00/7739009/

That stage is bad ass. The "V" stuff is pretty funny too. U2 is always coming up with visually impressive work. may they give us a few more tours after this one.
[Edited by Poplar]
March 28th, 2005 11:53 PM
Gimme Shelter I'm going to both San Jose shows. Can't wait!!!!
March 29th, 2005 01:37 AM
corgi37 I have never been a huge fan of separating the audience. Whether its "Gold" section, or "the egg" or "platinum" seats.

Smacks of segregation. Too much temptation for the celebs and soapie stars to score the good tickets, while us suckers inhale fumes from the ceiling pipes.

March 29th, 2005 08:48 AM
jeffndeena Any need a single lower level ticket for Phoenix below face value please email me at [email protected] 121.
Thanks
March 29th, 2005 09:01 AM
Factory Girl How were Kings of Leon as the opening act??? TIA!
March 29th, 2005 09:25 AM
Joey " Live From the San Diego iPayOne Center "

" U2's eagerly awaited (now that's an understatement!) Vertigo Tour officially kicked off in extraordinary fashion in San Diego tonight at the iPayOne Center.

Watch this space for more information, news, reviews and photos as we get it, but for now, enjoy the setlist and notes from the show, courtesy of our own Contributing Editor Devlin Smith. Show was filmed. Our crew spots Steve Lillywhite, Paul McGuinness and Ned O'Hanlon. Look for our full report tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, make sure to visit our busy, busy tour forums to see what U2 fans are chatting about!

For photos from the show, courtesy of Yahoo! go here.

Here's the set list:

*City of Blinding Lights (Slide guitar effect from Edge)
*Vertigo/Stories for Boys
*Electric Co. ("I can see for miles and miles" - Bono Who song)
*An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
*Beautiful Day/Beatles' "Black Bird"
*New Year's Day
(Bono doesn't talk to audience)
*Miracle Drug (Edge sang last verse)
*Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Bono says, "My father would have loved to have been in show business")
*Love and Peace or Else (Larry uses drum set at end of Ellipse for beginning of song, then leaves midway. Bono drums on little drum set at end) (Larry singing "Release! Release!" with Bono)
*Sunday, Bloody Sunday
*Bullet the Blue Sky (Hands that Built America/Donnie Comes Marching Home - Bono puts blind fold over eyes, drops to his knees)
*Running to Stand Still (Edge sings "la la la di days") (Movie with Global Declaration of Human Rights. Different faces reading articles)
*Zoo Station (bull-fighting w/ Edge singing thru head mic)
*The Fly (streams of light that showed slogons from ZooTV)
*Elevation (Larry w/ head mic. singing)

(Encore)
*Pride (Bono speaks on Africa on MLK's dream. "Sing for Africa")
*Where the Streets Have No Name
*One (Bono thanks "Mexican friends for coming up. We'll see you next year" and talks about the One Campaign)
*All Because of You (Bono w/ tamborine)
*Yahweh (Larry steps away from drums, playing keyboard)
*40 (Bono introduces the band and calls himself "the little lord Jesus," and leaves the stage first. Then Adam, then Edge, then Larry ends with drum solo)

Read member comments | Leave a comment about this story

Back to Interference.com "

http://www.interference.com/u2120394/index.html

Jacky ! ™

March 29th, 2005 09:31 AM
Joey
http://www.u2tours.com/

" March 28, 2005 / San Diego, CA

Venue: Sports Arena

Opening Act(s): Kings of Leon

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Cry - The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart, Beautiful Day, New Year's Day, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky / Hands That Built America, Running to Stand Still, Zoo Station, The Fly, Elevation

Encore(s): Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One, All Because Of You, Yahweh, 40

Comments: Opening night of the Vertigo 2005 Tour begins with confetti falling around the full stage as Bono sings 'City of Blinding Lights' from out at the edge of the ellipse. He adds a bit of 'Stories for Boys' to 'Vertigo', and a bit of 'Blackbird' on the end of 'Beautiful Day.' Larry helps sing during 'Elevation' and plays keyboards during 'Yahweh.' The concert ends with a full version of '40' just like the '80s, with each band member leaving the stage separately and a brief drum solo ending the show."

March 29th, 2005 04:02 PM
Poplar
sweet. thanks Joey.
March 29th, 2005 04:09 PM
Joey
quote:
Poplar wrote:

sweet. thanks Joey.

Anytime Poplar
( Rocks Off Member )
March 29th, 2005 04:59 PM
Poplar
Nice to see the show wasn't an exact replica of the rehersal. I knew Vertigo would end up near the front. I saw video of the first song - the "look" was very cool.

March 29th, 2005 05:36 PM
Madafaka Thank you so much Joey Resident Cretin!
March 29th, 2005 05:38 PM
Joey
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Thank you so much Joey Resident Cretin!

You're Very Welcome Madafaka
( Rocks Off Member )

W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?! ...............Oh , sure ! :

www.U2Tours.com

March 29th, 2005 05:52 PM
Madafaka I visited the link that Joey (Yes, thank you again) put above and found this:

Mexico in 2006

March 29, 2005
During tonight's Vertigo Tour opener in San Diego, Bono offered a "special thanks" to fans that had traveled to San Diego from Mexico for the show, and promised fans the band would see them "next year."

Is possible a South American tour? What do you think?
Am I dreaming? Need I to stop smoking that kind of things?
March 29th, 2005 05:58 PM
Joey
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I visited the link that Joey (Yes, thank you again) put above and found this:

Mexico in 2006

March 29, 2005
During tonight's Vertigo Tour opener in San Diego, Bono offered a "special thanks" to fans that had traveled to San Diego from Mexico for the show, and promised fans the band would see them "next year."

Is possible a South American tour? What do you think?
Am I dreaming? Need I to stop smoking that kind of things?

You are NOT dreaming my Stonesian Kin !!!!
March 29th, 2005 06:07 PM
glencar OK, I'm going to tarvel anywhere to see this band. 'Cept Nebraska.
March 29th, 2005 10:16 PM
Soldatti Good setlist but there are some missing hits there.
March 29th, 2005 10:19 PM
Poplar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Good setlist but there are some missing hits there.

Good for U2. I think most of as agree that if the next Stones tour had a lot of "missing hits" it would make for some fantastic shows.

that said - "Bad" is one hell of a tune live. As is "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "End of the World."
March 29th, 2005 10:30 PM
Soldatti Ok, but we are missing Desire, I Still Haven't Found..., With Or Without You, Mysterious Ways...

and about the Stones we agree, the warhorses are overplayed.
March 29th, 2005 10:44 PM
monkeyman62 not that great a set list, hope it changes by may
when they come to jersey, bad and with or without you
are a must for me
March 30th, 2005 06:08 AM
Gazza opening night's show now available for download on easytree

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=34886
March 30th, 2005 06:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Good setlist but there are some missing hits there.

its the price you pay for being successful and having a lot of good songs. You can't play them all.

The Stones have many many more great songs than U2 but dont play most of them, and the more familiar ones get overplayed.

Good for U2, I say. That's not a setlist I would have predicted. "An Cat Dubh" ? - holy feck.
[Edited by Gazza]
March 30th, 2005 09:28 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Good for U2, I say. That's not a setlist I would have predicted. "An Cat Dubh" ? - holy feck.

BEST U2 YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 30th, 2005 12:30 PM
Mikey What does "An Cat Dubh" mean? Is it Gaelic?
March 30th, 2005 12:35 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
opening night's show now available for download on easytree

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=34886

it was originally on ttd, but it crashed the whole site...

oh, here is the review of the first gig (from the la times)...

_____

Heartfelt ambition
*Challenging, personal themes and enduring energy keep U2 more relevant than ever.

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

San Diego — Great rock bands tend to be built for sprints rather than marathons. They come and go in brief bursts of glory, usually torn apart by internal problems or the inability to maintain a creative edge. Nirvana was gone in the blink of an eye. The Beatles never really made it out of the '60s.

All this makes U2 unique.

One reason for the band's continued relevance after a quarter-century is that the quartet keeps challenging itself — never more so than in the captivating new world tour, which began Monday at San Diego's Sports Arena.

U2's latest album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," is a thoughtful, deeply personal look at faith, family and rejuvenation; not exactly easy themes to build an arena rock show around. Yet the band brought the spirit of the album to the stage in a two-hour set that was as warm and eloquent as the songs.

Rather than open with "Vertigo," the rousing hit from "Dismantle" that is such disarming fun that even its use in the iPod ad campaign hasn't sabotaged its charm, U2 started the concert Monday with "City of Blinding Lights," a song that touches the heart of the new CD even more clearly.

In "City" and elsewhere, Bono speaks, among other things, about maintaining youthful innocence and faith: "Time ... time/ Won't leave me as I am/ But time won't take the boy out of this man."

With the audience already on its feet dancing to the beat, Bono screamed the familiar opening line of "Vertigo" — "Uno, dos, tres, catorce" — and the 17,000 fans were hooked even more by the liberating strains of the guitar-driven music.

U2 then cut dramatically to a medley of tunes from its first album, 1981's "Boy," taking us back to the beginning of its journey, as musicians and people. The band members were on the edges of 20 when that album was released and the music was bathed in the innocence and aspirations of youth.

In "Dismantle," Bono, the parent and adult, looks back at some of those ideals. Where he once thought it was only a matter of time until questions of faith and life would be resolved, he now knows some of life's mysteries will never be known. Still, it's important, he says, not to succumb to cynicism and indifference.

To explore that theme, U2 featured seven songs from the CD in the concert, the most powerful of which was "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," which Bono wrote about his efforts to get closer to his father before the latter's death in 2001. Marching around the heart-shaped ramp that the group has brought with it from the last tour, Bono told about discovering during the process how dependent he was on his father despite the distance between them. Near the end of the song, it is clear he, too, is seeking comfort: "Don't leave me here alone."

For a band that made its mark with soaring, guitar-driven anthems that commanded you to march along, these new songs are all the more touching because they rely on the superb subtlety and restraint of U2 as musicians.

Instead of the rows of massive video screens the band has used on previous tours, it also aimed for an intimacy in the arena by employing only a modest screen above the stage, thus forcing the audience to watch the band members rather than larger-than-life video images. The sense of community is further stressed by the showing of all four members of the band, not just Bono.

Throughout Monday's set, U2 played, to use the title of its most affecting anthem, as one, with the sound blending together with almost uncanny force and unity. The Edge's guitar lines, the band's most inspired feature, can be both caressing and explosive, sometimes in the same passage. The rhythm section of bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. adds a relentless urgency to the music that backs Bono's vocals ideally, allowing his voice to soar as if he were playing a cathedral or whisper as if in a confessional booth.

The band reprised some of its most powerful old material, including the despair of "Running to Stand Still" and the commentary of "Sunday Bloody Sunday." It also strung together "Pride (In the Name of Love)," "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "One" in a moving segment during which Bono became the voice of world compassion.

Even some U2 fans used to mock Bono as "Saint Bono" for what seemed to be grandiose social ideals, but his steady devotion to social causes over the years has made him not only accepted in the role, but gives the music even more relevance because he is trying to turn his words into action.

For the final encore, however, U2 again relied on two "Dismantle" songs: a speeded-up treatment of "All Because of You," one of the most overtly devotional songs on the album, and "Yahweh," another statement of compassion and grace that includes the line, "Take this soul and make it sing."

By most rock standards, the gentle ending was too understated for the start of a tour, but it was a bold, triumphant move.

Rock 'n' roll has been built mostly on edgy elements, including rebellion, irreverence and exuberance. The Beatles became the first great rock band by both reflecting each of them and by introducing a strain of social optimism through such tunes as "All You Need Is Love."

While thousands of bands have experimented with the rebellion and irreverence, U2 has explored the idealism with a dedication and conviction that would not only have impressed the Beatles but that has earned it a place alongside that band at the very creative heart of rock.

Only Bruce Springsteen, perhaps, of post-'60s artists with such mass appeal, has approached each show with U2's unwavering passion and purpose. He tries to give his best in each show, he says, because someone in the audience may be seeing him for the first time and he always wants that newcomer to see the band at its best.

Bono and U2 have taken that mission even further. It's as if they believe there may be someone in the crowd who has been to every show, and they want to make sure that fan is touched deeper each night.

That fan would recognize in an instant that U2 was standing still if it took the easy way out and, like so many other veteran bands, just served up a "greatest hits" show every night.

No way anyone thought that Monday.

U2 didn't just take the audience in its arms the way it has for 25 years now, the band took it inside its heart.

Robert Hilburn can be reached at [email protected].
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood