ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones & Jimmy Miller Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 21st, 2005 07:48 AM
Jair How and when the Stones first met Jimmy Miller?
Who others band he produced in the 60's and the 70's?
Thanks for any answer.
March 21st, 2005 07:52 AM
Gazza The Stones hired him because they liked the work he had been doing with Traffic.

from timeisonourside.com :

JIMMY MILLER (1942-1994)

An American, Miller first started working in music with British musician Steve Winwood in the mid-1960s, mixing songs for the Spencer Davis Group, and then producing the first albums by Winwood's new group, Traffic, Mr. Fantasy (1967) and Traffic (1968). Miller had made a reputation for himself as someone who knew how to get a good drum sound, amongst other things. It was in early 1968 that the Stones hired Miller as a producer, who is credited as such on the Stones' next five albums, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and Goats Head Soup, certainly one of the high periods in the band's output. Miller occasionally also played percussion and drums on Stones' records, for example on Happy. (He also plays the cowbell on Honky Tonk Women.) Miller and the Twins, Mick and Keith, no longer saw eye-to-eye during the making of Goats Head Soup (1972-73) and that's when their association ended.

Although he continued to work with other groups after his separation from the Stones, he never regained the same success. He worked with acts that included Motorhead, the Plasmatics and Johnny Thunders. He died of liver failure.

Jimmy was a drummer... (and) was really into the beat and the percussion and all that, and it shows on some of those records.

- Mick Jagger, 1994

There isn't one producer who can handle the whole thing. You run through them like you run through gas in your car. Jimmy Miller went in a lion and came out a lamb. We wore him out completely... Jimmy was great, but the more successful he became the more he got like Brian... (He) ended up carving swastikas into the wooden console at Island Studios.

- Keith Richards, 1975
March 21st, 2005 06:54 PM
Soldatti
quote:
There isn't one producer who can handle the whole thing. You run through them like you run through gas in your car. Jimmy Miller went in a lion and came out a lamb. We wore him out completely... Jimmy was great, but the more successful he became the more he got like Brian... (He) ended up carving swastikas into the wooden console at Island Studios.

- Keith Richards, 1975

Keith also said this:
"...It took him 3 months to carve a swastika. Meanwhile, Mick and I finished up Goats Head Soup."
March 21st, 2005 07:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl He also produced other great groups not mentioned above like Spooky Tooth (I like them a lot), Family, Blind Faith (Well Steve Winwood was part of it but it's not Traffic and what a great super group), Dave Mason, Jim Capáldi, Ginger Baker, Delaney Bonnie and Friends

He also was the producer of the first album by Stones' sideman Jim Price I'm sure there's more
March 21st, 2005 08:38 PM
Gazza I think Jimmy's last session (or one of them) was with Primal Scream, producing their hit single "Rocks" - a song which was basically a steal from two songs Jimmy had produced with the Stones, "Rocks Off" and "Criss Cross Mind"
March 25th, 2005 05:23 AM
Keefness Jimmy played drums on "Can't Always get What You Want".

I thought for years it was Chawlie, but no..check the credits. he sure figured out out how to play like Chawlie.
March 25th, 2005 05:27 AM
Poplar
And damn if he didn't play the greatest cowbell track in history.
March 25th, 2005 01:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Keefness wrote:
Jimmy played drums on "Can't Always get What You Want".

He played drums on Tumbling Dice, Happy and Shine A Light too.
March 28th, 2005 07:29 AM
Jair Jimmy Miller was a fucking nazi? Whatha hell is this story about him caving swastikas??? Detaisls please, but I would hate to know he had some sympathy for nazism...

March 28th, 2005 12:20 PM
Gazza I think you're taking the 'swastika' bit too literally, Jair.

People carve things in wood out of boredom and frustration. Besides, considering the story came from Keith, it could be a myth
March 28th, 2005 06:42 PM
gotdablouse Not sure what makes Keith so proud of running Jimmy Miller into the ground...looks like it's his turn to be "worn out" now...by Mick and Charlie ;-)

Jimmy also played some wonderful percussion on "Sweet Black Angel". Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jimmy is a man of few pictures, I can only recall seeing one of a guy with a moustache and Ray-Bans, could have been Nicky Hopkins too !
March 28th, 2005 07:10 PM
moy
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jimmy is a man of few pictures, I can only recall seeing one of a guy with a moustache and Ray-Bans, could have been Nicky Hopkins too !

March 28th, 2005 07:28 PM
The Wick
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think Jimmy's last session (or one of them) was with Primal Scream, producing their hit single "Rocks" - a song which was basically a steal from two songs Jimmy had produced with the Stones, "Rocks Off" and "Criss Cross Mind"

I think he produced Screamadelica for Primal Scream, not Give Out But Don't Give Up, which had Rocks on it.
March 28th, 2005 07:46 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
He played drums on Tumbling Dice

So Jimmy Miller is responsible for that magical moment at the three minute mark?

Always thought that was Charlie. Oh well, nice job Jimbo!
March 28th, 2005 08:11 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think you're taking the 'swastika' bit too literally, Jair.

People carve things in wood out of boredom and frustration. Besides, considering the story came from Keith, it could be a myth

i could post some pics of keef from putland's book - that would get him really fired up
March 29th, 2005 10:07 AM
gotdablouse Thanks for the pics of JM !
Yes post these embarassing pics of Keith ;-)
March 29th, 2005 10:48 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

So Jimmy Miller is responsible for that magical moment at the three minute mark?

Always thought that was Charlie. Oh well, nice job Jimbo!

I don't think this is right. I know that he played drums on Happy and Shine a Light, but I don't think that TD is anybody but Charlie.
March 29th, 2005 07:38 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I don't think this is right. I know that he played drums on Happy and Shine a Light, but I don't think that TD is anybody but Charlie.

I think you're right Nasty. I've been crestfallen at the idea that Tumbling Dice could be anyone but Charlie.
March 29th, 2005 08:01 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Jair wrote:
Jimmy Miller was a fucking nazi? Whatha hell is this story about him caving swastikas??? Detaisls please, but I would hate to know he had some sympathy for nazism...

oh for chrissakes, swastikas existed long before peckerheaded Nazis and eventually it will be reclaimed from those scumbags....Jimmy was bored get it?
March 30th, 2005 12:17 AM
jpenn11
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
oh for chrissakes, swastikas existed long before peckerheaded Nazis and eventually it will be reclaimed from those scumbags....Jimmy was bored get it?

Actually Jimmy was charting out the punk movement . . .

quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
He also produced other great groups not mentioned above like Spooky Tooth

Not just produced: he wrote or co-wrote "I'm a Man", which Stevie Winwood sang with Spenser David Group. If I recall correctly, Miller said the song was about Stevie and the tune came from an old jazz number. I think Miller started his career as a jazz drummer and that seems apparent on YCAGWYW.

He was supposed to do some work with--and I think did produce--three songs for a post-break up version of Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers (In Cold Blood, etc.). That he hooked up with a punk band that sang about drugs couldn't have been a big surprise.

Finally, he's in that famous, rare EOMS/Nellcote book in a photo of him on the floor while Keith and Mick J are playing in the studio. Perhaps someone can repost it.
[Edited by jpenn11]
March 30th, 2005 11:21 AM
Vinyl kills He also produced some of MOTORHEAD's greatest LP's!!!
March 30th, 2005 11:44 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

Finally, he's in that famous, rare EOMS/Nellcote book in a photo of him on the floor while Keith and Mick J are playing in the studio. Perhaps someone can repost it.

March 30th, 2005 09:05 PM
jpenn11 Thanks mac daddy.

Great "this is how music is made" shot. Wonder if Jimmy is saying "dead" or not.

March 31st, 2005 04:19 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl yesterday morning S sent me this image from Dominique Tarlé, it's the very same mac_dadd posted but here it goes

March 31st, 2005 06:14 AM
gotdablouse Thanks for that pic, don't think I'd ever seen it!
Not sure what Anita means by "one of the rare times he was in the studio with Keith", does she mean he wasn't in Nellcote very much, or that he was in the control room as opposed to the studio, not that I thought they had that at Nellcote other than the RSRMobile Truck, or is she referring to Mick's "absence" for EXOMS, oh well ;-)
March 31st, 2005 07:30 PM
mac_daddy thanks for bringing the picture up - i always enjoy going through that book. two hours had gone by before i actually took those pics - i go through the thing cover to cover from time to time, and by bringing the pic up in this thread, it gave me cause to go pull the book out again...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
March 31st, 2005 09:51 PM
Soldatti I read that the relationship between Keith and Jimmy was a little complicated during the Exile sessions, even worse during GHS.
March 31st, 2005 11:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Elektra Studios - Los Ángeles October 1969
With Jimmy Miller and Bruce Botnik
© Mr. Robert Altman
April 1st, 2005 12:50 AM
marko I think,Jimmy was the best EVER producer,in history of rock
music.
April 1st, 2005 05:28 AM
mac_daddy this is jimmy, as well, right..? he looks strung out in this pic - what a difference 6 years makes...

Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood