ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Dave Hogan with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Birthday Rocks Off? Return to archive
27th March 2008 09:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels According to legend, isn't the birthday of Rock's Off considered to be March 27?
The Site not the song...
??????????????????????????????????????????
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th March 2008 09:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
According to legend, isn't the birthday of Rock's Off considered to be March 27?

No... Some days before the 27th but in March 1999 we started the website Rocks Off, and the message board changed from GOIN' HOME to ROCKS OFF so it is the anniversary of the change of name. As a message board we started in July 1998 and started operations on August 14, 1998. So soon we are going to be 10 years old.

We are the oldest message board about the Rolling Stones, but not the oldest on-line community as Undercover and SFJ started before but they are mailing lists. Also the message board "Like a Rolling Stone" about Brian Jones by Gerry Seda is older than us but that one is not about the Rolling Stones but the guy who started it all.

You can read the following legend in the index of Rocks Off:

©1998-2007 Jaxx, Gazza and Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Message Board Established July 1998
Website Established March 1999

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
28th March 2008 02:42 PM
Gazza 24th March 1999, as I remember it.

When I arrived at JFK 3 days later, I seem to remember Jaxx trying to coax me into getting involved, as I'd little interest after Goin' Home had shut down a few days earlier.

Funny enough, I would have thought that Linda had started Goin' Home earlier than August 1998 (because it had been some months since we'd all jumped ship from the spamfest that was the official BTB message board where we'd all 'met'), but I suppose you're right.

Do we have any members left who were around during the Goin' Home era? Cant be too many, although I remember TomL being around when we were all on the official site together
[Edited by Gazza]
28th March 2008 06:07 PM
fireontheplatter its a great place and congrats and i am glad it has endured.

of 6075 members..i can only think of 2 people that don't like me.

i find it's a lot more open minded here than in rolling stones.com. i mean you say fuck there one to many times and you're out. fuck that. or even if you have stong opinons about something and the majority rules...bam, you're out.

you guys run a nice tight ship here and i've seen stuff deleted where and when it probably should be....even crap that i spew from time to time. but i understand..i get a little carried away sometimes. like when i say..

everybody say owww

i have learned new stuff about the stones here and i think that is a good thing.

28th March 2008 06:18 PM
glencar
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Me & who else?
28th March 2008 06:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
its a great place and congrats and i am glad it has endured.

No. It's three.
28th March 2008 06:19 PM
glencar Wasn't Keno's place around longer? It replaced the old Stonesworld in early 1998. I don't go there anymore. It got weird.
28th March 2008 06:41 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
glencar wrote:
Me & who else?

i'm not about to start name calling...thats childish behavior. i'm 46 now....i'm a man. a full grown hootchie coochie man.
28th March 2008 06:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wasn't Keno's place around longer? It replaced the old Stonesworld in early 1998. I don't go there anymore. It got weird.

I think it started in late 1998, so whilst it preceded Rocks Off it definitely started after Goin' Home - which was basically RO only with an extra webmistress (Linda)

I think Shidoobee started around late 1998 as well. Doug had his own AOL chatroom before that, as I recall.

I think that there was an "ExilefromStonesworld" in between Stonesworld and Gasx3 however - run by someone called FactoryGirl, as I recall (not OUR Factory Girl, of course)

Jaxx, Linda (kill4mick), Voodoo and myself all became friends via the official BTB site in January 1998 (although some of them may have been on Stonesworld before that as well). We jumped ship around April/May 1998 or so because the official site basically stopped doing tour news updates once the tour left the US and they refused to clear up the spam that was flooding the message board.
[Edited by Gazza]
28th March 2008 10:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wasn't Keno's place around longer? It replaced the old Stonesworld in early 1998. I don't go there anymore. It got weird.

No... We started in July 1998 and they started in December. We started with a small community while they started big as it was created in a very good moment: when "Stones World" closed so everyone from that board moved to the new one. "Stones World" was big so it was really opportune to start that message board in that very moment.

28th March 2008 10:27 PM
PartyDoll MEG I is so glad you guys decided to start this board, even if I am relatively new in the whole history of RO..

Hope we have "reason" to keep it going for some time..
Don't get bored....
28th March 2008 10:43 PM
Scottfree Rock's off gave it legs....
29th March 2008 11:44 AM
Angiegirl I read the official MB and later I posted at Stonesworld for a while in late 1997, asking for advice about my trip to NY MSG in Jan. 98.

I remember reading Going Home MB in 98 as well, but I never posted there. Middle of 98 during the Euro shows I was mostly active on Undercover ML.

From late 99 and in 2000 I lurked here at RO quite regularly, but I only subscribed in 2001.

But I met Gazza in June 99 for the first time, so that counts too right? .
29th March 2008 02:06 PM
moy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Do we have any members left who were around during the Goin' Home era?

i was a GOIN' HOME regular
29th March 2008 03:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 10 years of worldwide internet communications?
I wonder if we've learned anything.
29th March 2008 03:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
moy wrote:

i was a GOIN' HOME regular

29th March 2008 03:32 PM
glencar
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

i'm not about to start name calling...thats childish behavior. i'm 46 now....i'm a man. a full grown hootchie coochie man.

I don't hate you. I just was too lazy to put up a smily face.
29th March 2008 03:34 PM
glencar
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

No... We started in July 1998 and they started in December. We started with a small community while they started big as it was created in a very good moment: when "Stones World" closed so everyone from that board moved to the new one. "Stones World" was big so it was really opportune to start that message board in that very moment.

Thanks Gazza & Gerardo. I too migrated to Keno's place & it was nice at first but eventually all the good people & a wanker or two migrated over here...
29th March 2008 03:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Even though they probably don't mean to be, New Yorkers are very abrasive.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

29th March 2008 04:01 PM
glencar LOL She's shrill, not abrasive.
29th March 2008 04:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL She's shrill, not abrasive.

Even the most hardcore republican voters would probably agree that 4 years of an Obama presidency would be worth showing her to the door.
29th March 2008 04:26 PM
glencar Yes, that's true. We can get by with "hope" but we don't need a return to divisiveness. But let's try to avoid politics on every thread, if you know what I'm saying.
29th March 2008 04:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, that's true. We can get by with "hope" but we don't need a return to divisiveness. But let's try to avoid politics on every thread, if you know what I'm saying.

Okay. But I thought "sex n' politics n' rock n roll" is what it's all about.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
30th March 2008 08:56 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
10 years of worldwide internet communications?
I wonder if we've learned anything.

We've learned an important life lesson: pie unites us all.
30th March 2008 06:11 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

...and when you cut it, mama...
mama, please save me a slice...
31st March 2008 06:16 AM
marko Oh yeah,been here since fall 1999,here and at the kenos
message board.At that time,i think here wasn´t registration?
As i have done that in 2001 or 2002.Been here almost 10years now.
I found both places after London 99 show(all3).
Friend of mine called me,and said that theres some really
nice communities(not communists...)
I remember i was lurking at the stonesworld as well.But
i stayed here and at kenos board as well,more there in the
begining.
Lots of things has happened here,and its been good that you
have shared many good and bad things around here.Even
better,you have had to stand my grazy TREES in the past.
It took a long time for me get to downloading world...you
Won´t get rid of me that easily......!
31st March 2008 07:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

2nd April 2008 09:25 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Do we have any members left who were around during the Goin' Home era?

Well, he is not longer with us anymore but Jacques was one

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)