ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Dave Hogan with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Micks LIVE singing is TERRIBLE! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
23rd March 2008 06:43 PM
THE RAMBLER Listening to SAL sampler. The title track and SFTD are awful! Same with JJF and SHe Was HOt! He has no power in his voice. I also can't stand the fact that he still sings "Hope you GEP my name" during SFTD. You'd think for a lvie album released to the public he'd be able to properly pronounce words. "Gep" isn't a word in any language that I know of. His voice was strong early on in the Bang tour, then it went to crap in Europe. Embarassing! I also hate when his voice goes really low to sing certain parts of song. Sadly, he sounds nasally and old. Please don't use the excuse that he still sounds good for his age. That may be true, but it's NOT good enough to do justice to the songs he sings.
[Edited by THE RAMBLER]
23rd March 2008 06:56 PM
mrhipfl I agree with you. Fact is he focuses more on being a frontman/hypeman than he does on his singing. He doesn't have enough wind in him to sing strongly AND jump around like a madman.

It's the same with Keith and Ronnie. They would play A LOT better if they just stood still during the whole show and concentrated on playing guitar instead of interacting with the crowd. That's something that differentiates the Stones from other really old rock n' roll bands. While other bands concentrate on making their shows sound as good as possible, the Stones concentrate on showing the audience the time of their lives.

Frankly, I prefer it this way.
23rd March 2008 06:56 PM
fireontheplatter if you really can't stand him you can always try chris robinson from the black crows. he, apparently sounds like a young mick jagger.

23rd March 2008 07:30 PM
riffkeither what else ?
they still got the Groove !! listening to SAL samplers
I don't agree with you when you say that they sound poorly ; they are so shattered but i enjoy earing they new gigs even if my favorie period is 73
compare to black crowes is as equal as compare Bordeaux and Limonade !!!
23rd March 2008 07:34 PM
polytoxic
quote:
THE RAMBLER wrote:
Listening to SAL sampler. The title track and SFTD are awful! Same with JJF and SHe Was HOt! He has no power in his voice. I also can't stand the fact that he still sings "Hope you GEP my name" during SFTD. You'd think for a lvie album released to the public he'd be able to properly pronounce words. "Gep" isn't a word in any ;anguage that I know of. His voice was strong early on in the Bang tour, then it went to crap in Europe. Embarassing! I also hate when his voice goes really low to sing certain parts of song. Sadly, he sounds nasally and old. Please don't use the excuse that he still sounds good for his age. That may be true, but it's NOT good enough to do justice to the songs he sings.

You can't always gep what you want.
23rd March 2008 07:44 PM
THE RAMBLER
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

You can't always gep what you want.

LOL!
23rd March 2008 07:52 PM
yellerstang If you want correct English pronunciation, better go put on some more Journey.....cause you know, they're way more rock 'n roll than the Stones are.

Seriously, your comment about pronunciation is retarded. It makes me wonder if you've ever listened to the Stones at all.
23rd March 2008 08:56 PM
open-g I think Streets Of Love is enough with the over-pronounciation.
no thanx
23rd March 2008 09:39 PM
THE RAMBLER
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
If you want correct English pronunciation, better go put on some more Journey.....cause you know, they're way more rock 'n roll than the Stones are.

Seriously, your comment about pronunciation is retarded. It makes me wonder if you've ever listened to the Stones at all.

What's retarded about it?? The verse is "hope you guess/ed my name" not "gep". It sounds silly. Gep is not a word. Is it that hard to say guess or guessed as opposed to gep. I think that is stupid or as you put it, retarded. I don't know why you overeact and bring Journey into this. When did I say the Stones didn't rock?!?!? SheeseH! A little sensitive are we?
23rd March 2008 11:46 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
THE RAMBLER wrote:

What's retarded about it?? The verse is "hope you guess/ed my name" not "gep". It sounds silly. Gep is not a word. Is it that hard to say guess or guessed as opposed to gep. I think that is stupid or as you put it, retarded. I don't know why you overeact and bring Journey into this. When did I say the Stones didn't rock?!?!? SheeseH! A little sensitive are we?

Not retarded. Pedantic, is more like it.
23rd March 2008 11:55 PM
Joey
quote:
THE RAMBLER wrote:
Listening to SAL sampler. The title track and SFTD are awful! Same with JJF and SHe Was HOt! .... Please don't use the excuse that he still sounds good for his age. That may be true, but it's NOT good enough to do justice to the songs he sings.

You make Joey very sad .

" BEST STONES YET RONNIE ! "

J. " Snuggles " FLY ! ™
24th March 2008 12:02 AM
Brainbell Jangler [quote]THE RAMBLER wrote:
"Gep" isn't a word in any language that I know of.
[quote]
Sho it is. Gep yo ass off dis bode!
24th March 2008 01:18 AM
yellerstang You're criticizing the man who wrote the lyrics to "You can't always get what you want" because of how he pronounces the lyrics?

You, sir, are a first class WANKER!!
[Edited by yellerstang]
24th March 2008 01:23 AM
pdog I understand not liking the mans voice, but criticing the way he pronounces a word, that is just weird.
24th March 2008 02:41 AM
andrews27 He's not singing "Gep." It's "Geh," like Howlin' Wolf.
24th March 2008 03:00 AM
pdog
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
He's not singing "Gep." It's "Geh," like Howlin' Wolf.

I don't hear the "geh" in Howlin' Wolf.

Wolfgeh?

Is it a silent "geh"...?

Gefilte fish
24th March 2008 07:49 AM
riffkeither THE RAMBLER wrote:

THE DUMBLER wrote : Guêpe is like a bee in french

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
24th March 2008 09:50 AM
gotdablouse I wonder where that voice comes from, certainly never heard him like that on record or audience tapes, it's at its strangest on SAL in fact, so "airy"...odd
24th March 2008 10:03 AM
mojoman ghey?
24th March 2008 10:37 AM
Zack This is the man who got famous singing "drive my 'magilation" and "tryin' to plake some girl" 40 years ago. He geps a pass!
24th March 2008 10:46 AM
the good I see your points, but its not that he is a terrible live singer. I think that at times he gets so caught up in performing that isn't really focused on singing. He was actually pretty good during forty licks and a bigger bang.
24th March 2008 10:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
THE RAMBLER wrote:
Listening to SAL sampler. The title track and SFTD are awful! Same with JJF and SHe Was HOt! He has no power in his voice. I also can't stand the fact that he still sings "Hope you GEP my name" during SFTD. You'd think for a lvie album released to the public he'd be able to properly pronounce words. "Gep" isn't a word in any language that I know of. His voice was strong early on in the Bang tour, then it went to crap in Europe. Embarassing! I also hate when his voice goes really low to sing certain parts of song. Sadly, he sounds nasally and old. Please don't use the excuse that he still sounds good for his age. That may be true, but it's NOT good enough to do justice to the songs he sings.
[Edited by THE RAMBLER]

You should hear some of the mid 70s shows, then...
24th March 2008 10:54 AM
Nasty Habits Yeah, Gazza, that was my first thought, too. A fuckload better than the Love You Live arena sides in terms of enunciation, and I rather like the part of SFTD when he keeps saying "TEDDY BEAR".

24th March 2008 10:55 AM
luxury1 It's a case of Mick attempting to preserve his voice. Much harder on the vocal cords to pronounce certain consonants--I assume his vocal coach has given him some suggestions for making a few substitutions in order to ease the strain on his vocal cords.

The mid-70's Gazza?? oh boy, I think that was merely being "under the influences" and doing back to back to back shows.
24th March 2008 11:17 AM
CraigP I think that the "gep" we're referring to is actually "GET" or "GIT" and not "GUESS".
Mick can mess with the words a bit. It still works just as well.

If you don't like Jagger's singing, then don't listen!
24th March 2008 11:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
It's a case of Mick attempting to preserve his voice. Much harder on the vocal cords to pronounce certain consonants--I assume his vocal coach has given him some suggestions for making a few substitutions in order to ease the strain on his vocal cords.

The mid-70's Gazza?? oh boy, I think that was merely being "under the influences" and doing back to back to back shows.

I'm not so sure its that simple, Luxy.

Mick learned to 'pace himself' a lot better from around 1989 onwards. Its reflected on a more consistent performance level from that time onwards, whereas on any given night before that he could end up sounding knackered and winded after concentrating more on running around and wiggling his arse for about two hours.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th March 2008 11:38 AM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You should hear some of the mid 70s shows, then...

Yeah that used to be half the fun. Deciphering the lyrics to find out just what the hell he was sayin', this is before the internet had it all laid out. I listened to stuff like that 70's live stuff for years before I came close to figuring out what on earth Jagger was on about. Part of it, of course, is affected accents of southern blacks, cockney, and jamaican patois and probably a number of other sources all mashed up to create Jagger's unique phrasing. Some of it probably just Quualudes and brandy. (to wit: Shattered = Shabber). I'm sure we've all got our pet peeves when it comes to the live stuff (one of mine is IORR never gets the groove right), so Gepgate falls into that category I'd say. That said, I get a chuckle thinking of all the places you could put Gep in a Stones song.
24th March 2008 01:27 PM
speedfreakjive well, i suppose his singing is lower than the 70's when he could reach the high notes - see lower octave singing in recent versions of Rocks Off and most other songs
24th March 2008 02:17 PM
polytoxic
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
well, i suppose his singing is lower than the 70's when he could reach the high notes - see lower octave singing in recent versions of Rocks Off and most other songs

I only gep my rocks off when I'm dreamin'...
24th March 2008 03:53 PM
glencar I gep this guy prefers the Gep Who to the current Stones?
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)