ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

July 14, 1971
Villefranche sur mer, Villa Nellcote, FRANCE
Basement of Keith Richards' house
By Dominique Tarlé

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young on The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-01-04 09:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm reading the excellent Neil Young biography "Shakey" by Jimmy McDonough. It's on SS's recommended reading list. If you don't wanna buy it, borrow it from your local library. As Neil would say...pretty innaresting.

Here's some excerpts on what Neil has to say about the Stones. Guess what...Shakey is a fan!

"The Rolling Stones, now THERE was somethin' because they didn't just last for 5 years. It took them longer to make a great contribution. The Beatles made their contribution in about 5 years, BANG, gone, right? The Stones came out with Miss You way after, years after the Beatles broke up-and when you think of the Rolling Stones, that's one of their best things, that Some Girls album-and that's with Ron Wood, y'know. They'd gone through a lot of changes. I like the fact that the Stones have lasted so long and kept making vital music."

"What I really liked about the Stones was Brian Jones and Keith Richards playin' together. Even though Brian was a bratty, sub-blues kinda guy, he still had exuberance. Brian Jones was a very funky part of that band in the beginning, man-all the slide shit and everything? He was really wild, Jones. Too bad he was so crazy. A druggie. They were all young, going through a lotta changes real fast. Brian didn't make it."

"Satisfaction was a great record. Get Off My Cloud, even better record. Looser, less of a hit. More of a reckless abandon. Get Off My Cloud-I know it's not as good a song, and I know that the performance is not as good as the Satisfaction performancem maybe it is-but the thing about it is it's OBVIOUSLY just such a fuckin' throw-together song that they came up with on the way to the studio, or the night before, y'know? That's what I liked about it, it just sounded so much like the Rolling Stones."

"I think the Beatles were my favorite of the English groups, but when I went to Toronto, The Stones kinda moved in-along with Rick James. He was really into the Stones. Get Off My Cloud, Satisfaction, Can I Get A Witness-all these songs we used to do. We got more and nore into how cool the Stones were. How simple they were, and how cool it was."

"So then I realized, hey, those Crazy Horse guys are a lot closer to the Rolling Stones. More than Buffalo Springfield was the Beatles. I'd taken rock n roll and divided it into to catagories. Rolling Stones and Beatles, okay? And I realized that if you divided into those two catagories, color made no difference, what part of the world made no difference. Beatles on one side, Rolling Stones on the other side, everybody else just line up, okay? Crazy Horse and the Mynah Birds, they were on the Rolling Stones side."

"You could compare CSNY to the Beatles, and Crazy Horse to the Stones. Another thing I'll tell you: The Rolling Stones are my favorite group."

I knew I liked Neil for some reason. Bet he'd be fun to sit down with, knock back a beer or two, fire up a bone, and listen to Stones records.
04-01-04 09:48 AM
Joey A MASTERPIECE ...................................

( A Review by The Joey : Dateline April 1st , 2004 )

Stoney's Manifesto : More than a post , its a battle cry , and a hammer of heartbeats -- for this latest effort by Sir Stonesalot is a true Masterpiece -- sap flowing from the roots of his very creation .

S.S. 's pen is his conductor's baton and general's staff . It shouts and cajoles and drenches us in sheets of sound -- and sometimes it has a touching , ethereal quality that is far , far removed from the tumult of a " Mods " vs. " Rockers " confrontation .

This recent posting demonstrates the kind of project that progressive American Rock is all about -- all the facilities , imagination and talent have always been there but rarely has one succeeded in distilling its essence and embracing a motif as convincingly as Stoney on this most prodigious of message boards . Like Wagner's " Ring " cycle , it is exhausting , but richly rewarding .

I Thank You All For Your Time This Morning !

The Joey , Established 1999

Quality ..............Visionary ...............Joey !

[ Edited by The Kid ]

[Edited by Joey]
04-01-04 09:52 AM
Lazy Bones Neil attended the LICKS, Wiltern show.
04-01-04 11:46 AM
telecaster It is still hard to believe that Neil Young and Rick James
toured together
04-01-04 11:54 AM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:
It is still hard to believe that Neil Young and Rick James
toured together

Is he referring to Rick "she's a super freak" James? I liked the fact he tied up the girl and had a threesome ...
04-01-04 01:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot JB...

Neil played guitar in a Canadian band called the Mynah Birds. It was a white backing band, fronted by a black lead singer...Rick James. Yes THAT Rick James.

They were signed to Motown, cut a single and an album. However, just before the release date, Rick James was arrested by the Navy for being AWOL. The single and album were never released, and to this day have not seen release. You heard right...Neil Young, the guy who Hey Hey, My My'd, kept Rockin' In The Free World, wore a vocorder for an entire Euro tour, and pioneered the use of outbuildings as speakers(Needs more barn!), once recorded a Motown album with Rick James.

Bizzare, but true...you just can't make shit like that up.
04-01-04 02:14 PM
Joey " I liked the fact he tied up the girl and had a threesome ... "

One of the most beautiful stories in the entire world that simply MUST be read to all children just before bedtime ...................................

Word ! To Your Great GrandPappys !!!!!

Shecky !
04-01-04 02:19 PM
jb

04-01-04 02:38 PM
Joey

04-01-04 05:16 PM
Saint Sway thanks Sir Stones A Lot for piecing that together!! That made my day! Especially after reading what piss stains like Bon Jovi and Kid Rock had recently said about the Stones. Its refreshing to read quotes from someone like Neil - who I hold in the highest regard - right up there with the Stones - and have him say such wonderful stuff. Probably one of the reasons why Neil Young is such a wonderful talent is that he understands music and gets bands like the Stones.
04-01-04 05:26 PM
Gazza That "Shakey" book is a great read. It's been sitting in my bathroom for ages and as its several hundred pages long has kept me great company during bowel movements over the cold winter months.

There's LOADS of Stones references in it throughout. I'd no idea just HOW big an influence the Stones have been on Neil, not just on his musical output but on career decisions too (ie, coming up with ideas for stage designs based solely on what he'd seen the Stones doing).

One of the best rock bios in many years

JBJ and Kid Rock - "piss stains" ....still laughing...
[Edited by Gazza]
04-01-04 05:32 PM
Martha Shaky is now on my must read list!

Neil is great! Did any of you see him interview on Conan the 19th of last month? I taped it...he told a very funny chicken coop/barnyard story. Didn't jam just chatted. He would be fun to burn one and chat with. :-) I'd join in on that kind of threesome.
04-01-04 07:57 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
JB...

Neil played guitar in a Canadian band called the Mynah Birds. It was a white backing band, fronted by a black lead singer...Rick James. Yes THAT Rick James.

They were signed to Motown, cut a single and an album. However, just before the release date, Rick James was arrested by the Navy for being AWOL. The single and album were never released, and to this day have not seen release. You heard right...Neil Young, the guy who Hey Hey, My My'd, kept Rockin' In The Free World, wore a vocorder for an entire Euro tour, and pioneered the use of outbuildings as speakers(Needs more barn!), once recorded a Motown album with Rick James.

Bizzare, but true...you just can't make shit like that up.

And from the Mynah Birds, Neil and Bruce Palmer joined BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD while Goldy McJohn (keys) and Jerry Edmonton (drums) joined, Canadian band - STEPPENWOLF.
04-01-04 11:22 PM
Prodigal Son He would be fun to talk over a beer with. If you can find him. Sometimes he's so elusive when not doing anything record-wise or tour-wise. In the book, it says he doesn't listen to music that much and is hopelessly out of touch with most current music (that can be a good thing, but bad when he championed crappy techno groups like Human League).

The Stones are the band who make up the basis of Neil's rock sound. Without the Stones, there would be no "Like a Hurricane," Ragged Glory, "Southern Man," all that. That Stones sound, minus the rhythmic Chuck Berry licks, was what Neil tried to emulate. Hell, look; he even worked with Jack Nitszche for a while based mainly on the fact he'd played keyboards with the Stones for a couple of years.

Complex arrangements for the Stones were occasionally arranged by The Dark Prince of L.A. himself, which was put to great use orchestrally by Neil on "The Old Laughing Lady," "Expecting to Fly" (which Jack played to Anita and Keith over a Kahuna joint which enhanced the wonderful song's listening experience I'm sure), "I've Loved Her So Long," "The Loner," "A Man Needs a Maid," all great, angelic songs.

An anecdote for Joey, he got the idea for all that thrash and grunge noise in the late 80s-early 90s after watching The Kids Are Alright movie on TV one night.
Neil probably ranks 2nd to the Stones in my all-time favourite rock acts.

"Motion pictures on my, TV screen. My home away from home, and I'm living in between."
04-01-04 11:32 PM
BILL PERKS NEIL WAS ALMOST THE SINGER OF THE NEW BARBARIANS BUT KEITH RAN OUT OF OPIUM.
04-02-04 01:49 AM
corgi37 I have tears in my eyes. Neil Young has an amazing way of saying how i feel. Ok, i hate the Beatles, every thing they did, every member - cant bloody stand them, but Neil's line of "Beatles on the left, STones on the right - all the others can line up". So very true. But, i can only assume Get off my cloud was his "youth" song. I mean, we all kinda have one. I for one hate that song. But, Neil's reasons for liking it are so cool, so spot on, i feel like playing it right now. And i would, but i have to go to my pub to get pissed with me mates. For the 1st time in a month! Damn twin babies.

P.S. I dont mean that. I love my babies.
04-02-04 01:52 AM
corgi37 Ooh, ooh, ooh, i want to say one thing in reference to Neil's comments about the Beatles and Stones. You know, how the Beatles got influential straight away, and the Stones kinda took awhile. WEll, here is my analogy. (CLears throat). The Beatles were a cyclone. Bursting in, demolishing everything and causing chaos. Causing much change. The Stones were/are like a Tsunami (did i spell that right?). The sort of tidal wave that just keeps on going, flooding over everything in its path. It slowly builds, then gains momentum, and is unstoppable.

I thank you.
04-02-04 08:36 AM
Sir Stonesalot I've been on a Neil blitz ever since I saw him a few weeks ago. He definately has one of the nastiest, craziest, most warped electric guitar sound out there. So fuckin mean and overdriven. It really stands out when you see him play live. Just a killer sound.

Yet, he can turn around, strap on an acoustic 12 string, and play some of the sweetest, cleanest, most delicate sounds you ever heard.

He's like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde with his guitars.

I also have a theory about his singing voice...and it goes for Neil's pal Zimmie too. I guess in a way it relates to anyone who doesn't have one of those "vocalist" voices...Joe Strummer, Tom Waits, hell...even Mick. My theory is that we the music consumer appreciate these people because we can relate to the voice coming out of the speaker. 99% of us don't have spot on perfect voices either. Yet we can sing and shout along with these famous singers and we don't sound all that much worse. It coulda been us, you know? These guys let us indulge our rock n roll fantasies in our heads. I think this is a big reason why we so readily accept, even embrace, the "impure" voice in rock n roll.

Just a thought.

I'm very glad so many folks dug this thread. Do yourselves a favor and either buy "Shakey", ask for it for yer birthday or somethin', borrow it from your local library....whatever...just get the book and get lost in it.

I am now off to find a good deal on the Buffalo Springfield box set...
04-02-04 11:03 AM
T&A I'm in the middle of Shakey right now. I'm enjoying reading about Neil (a big Neil fan here) - but I do have to disagree with the notion that this is a well-written book. I discussed this with another buddy of mine (also a big Neil fan) - and we both think that McDonough overuses cliches and profanity in his book. It's one thing when he gets a quote from Neil or somebody - but he uses profanity excessively in his own words throughout the book. It's a turnoff.

Again - I recommend it for those interested in learning more about Neil (a fascinating character, to be sure) - for instance I had no idea he is an epileptic - but I warn you that this is no masterpiece biography....
04-02-04 11:57 AM
Sir Stonesalot I like it cause that's the way I fuckin' talk. And having just been to a Neil show, and having talked to a bunch of his fuckin' fans....a lot of them talk that fuckin' way too!

I agree that it is not the most poetic prose ever laid to paper...but who gives a fuck? It's a fun, easy read. I'm blowin' through hundreds of pages at a clip!

I'm pretty sure Jimmy never intended to win any awards with this book. He just wanted it to tell Neil's story...kinda like Neil himself would fuckin' tell it...and that's kinda innaresting.

IMO, of course.
04-02-04 12:01 PM
T&A different strokes, I guess, SSA. The book would lose nothing and be no less innaresting if he dropped the profanity. he's trying to sound "cool" and he just comes off as an amateur, IMO.
04-02-04 12:43 PM
Nasty Habits Prosewise, Shakey may be occasionally, I dunno . . . casual . . . I guess . . . but what I think is REALLY creative, smart and therefore well written about it is the way it actually brings the fan's perspective into the story of Neil Young. Too often rock books forget about the fact that once the music gets released into the public sphere of things, it ceases to be entirely the artist's and becomes a kind of communal conversational experience. I love how he weaves in and out of Neil's experience creating the music with his own experiences with Neil, and the other two fans he focuses on as they travel through life with Young as a keystone. Very innaresting.

I also really love all the scandalous and hilarious shit about Stephen Stills, and any book with loads of stories about what a bunch of idiots Crosby, Stills and Nash are is going to get my vote for a great rock read.

My favorite part of the book is the recording of Tonight's the Night and the subsequent tour he and the Santa Monica Flyers went on, though. Absolutely compulsive reading.

I'm with you, SS. Been a long time since I've read a rock book as good as Shakey.

04-02-04 01:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot >The book would lose nothing and be no less innaresting if he dropped the profanity.<

Yeah, well, it wouldn't gain anything either.

It's a book about a rock n roll legend...moralist bullshit has no place in rock n roll. Rock n roll HAS no morals, nor should it.

I suppose Lester Bangs was an amateur too?
04-02-04 01:18 PM
T&A you guys read Levon's Wheels on Fire or Greil's Mystery Train? better rock books, IMO....
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I have tears in my eyes. Neil Young has an amazing way of saying how i feel. Ok, i hate the Beatles, every thing they did, every member - cant bloody stand them, but Neil's line of "Beatles on the left, STones on the right - all the others can line up". So very true. But, i can only assume Get off my cloud was his "youth" song. I mean, we all kinda have one. I for one hate that song. But, Neil's reasons for liking it are so cool, so spot on, i feel like playing it right now. And i would, but i have to go to my pub to get pissed with me mates. For the 1st time in a month! Damn twin babies.

P.S. I dont mean that. I love my babies.

Corgi is a great man and like me, despises the Beatles!!!
T&A oxymoron - great men don't despise the beatles...
04-02-04 01:21 PM
T&A I think you may be missing my point, SSA. I'd rather read a more professional and scholarly account of Neil - the profanity only reduces the book in that sense. It comes off as cheap and gratiutous. And, I disagree that rock and roll has no morals. Where did you get that?
04-02-04 01:22 PM
jb
quote:
T&A wrote:
oxymoron - great men don't despise the beatles...

I'm afraid your in the minority on this real fans Stones site....most of us do despise the Beatles....most of us support the war on terror, and m0st of us think Israel has a right to defend itself from Arab/Muslim Islamisists who seek to destroy all freedom loving people.....
[Edited by jb]
04-02-04 01:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot THAT we agree upon T&A!!

About the Beatles thingy that is....

See, I'm not analytical like that. I don't like books that read like a damn textbook. I find, especially biographies, read much better if they are told casually...like a story told 'round a campfire.

As for rock n roll having morals????

Are you serious???

The BEST rock n roll songs completely throw morality to the wind....illicit sex, gettin' fucked up, mayhem, forbidden love, anarchy, and general chaos & nastiness...all reign supreme in the world of rock n roll. Just look at the Stones fer cryin' out loud! Midnight Rambler, Stray Cat Blues, Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, STARFUCKER!!! Neil and Dylan can wax moralistic about certain causes(the enviorment, civil rights, war) but certainly neither one can be accused of being a moralist!

To me, rock n roll is all about freedom. Morality is confining, and is the antithesis of freedom.....ergo it has no place in rock n roll. Not for me anyway.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
04-02-04 01:23 PM
T&A no, Josh - most of us think you're an idiot...
Page: 1 2