ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

July 14, 1971
Villefranche sur mer, Villa Nellcote, FRANCE
Basement of Keith Richards' house
By Dominique Tarlé

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NEW ALBUM NEWS! "Stones to break "Seven Year Silence" Return to archive
04-01-04 09:14 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy OK, so I have an aunt who works in the media. Occasionally she sends me notes about the industry (she let me know that Dylan was playing the Avalon a week before they announced it)... I couldn't keep this one quiet. Check this out!

FOR RELEASE TUESDAY, APRIL 6, 2004:

PARIS, FRANCE: The Rolling Stones are breaking their "Seven Year Silence".

Taking their seven-year-long hiatus from a full album and turning "all that pent up energy" into their music, frontman Mick Jagger says, has so far resulted in "the best tracks we've recorded since the seventies."

"We're doing it the old-fashioned way," Jagger said, speaking from the studio where he was preparing to overdub vocals onto the first single, "Seven Year Silence", coincidentally the title of the album. "No more session musicians on guitars, no more drum machines - we've got Charlie [Watts, the Stones' longtime drummer], what machines do we need?"

Legendary guitarist Keith Richards, sitting on a sofa nearby, chimed in. "We're not fucking Eric Clapton - we aren't mellowing out on Robert Johnson, here. This is rock and roll, the way it's meant to be heard."

Richards and his younger counterpart Ron Wood spoke about writing the tracks for the album (Wood has three co-writing credits "so far", he notes) as "a totally incredible experience."

"It's like we've rediscovered everything that made kids go wild for The Stones in the first place," says Wood ecstatically. ""Seven Year Silence" is a vicious guitar riff, like "Jumping Jack Flash", and Mick just gives it his all. I can't remember sounding this good since [1978's landmark album] 'Some Girls'!"

The Stones are certainly not neglecting their past. Several tracks from the album are out-takes not used from 1994's Album Of The Year, Voodoo Lounge as well as two never-released songs, one from the 'Some Girls' sessions, one culled from unused cuts from 1986's Dirty Work.

"If we'd put [the Dirty Work track] on the original album and cut some of Mick's bullshit, it'd've been the album of the century," Richards enthuses.

FAST AND SLOW

"The ballads are quite nice," says drummer Charlie Watts, taking a break last week from recording the album. "I can take out my brushes and play some jazz, which is what I've always wanted." The album features three ballads, two sung by Jagger and one by Richards. Yet the album is also notable for Richards' insistance on speed and power.

"I didn't want this to be like [1997's] 'Bridges To Babylon'," said Richards. "I want this to be simple rock and roll, that's all." The rock star says he was "incredibly impressed" by the furious energy the of Detroit-based White Stripes when they opened for the Stones in Toronto and wanted to "get that sort of energy back into our playing."

"I've never been happier in my life," says Ian "Mac" MacLagan, who is playing keyboards for the Stones for the record. MacLagan, who last played with the Stones twenty years ago, says that "it's like nothing's changed. They're a little older but it's like the past twenty years never happened - they're playing with a vengeance."

Ron Wood, conquering both his alcohol and nicotine addictions this year, pokes MacLagan in the ribs. "We're back to our Faces days," he says, referring to the influential band both Wood and MacLagan founded with Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane and Kenney Jones in the early seventies. "Keith and I are doing all the guitars for this album, so I've been re-learning that old-fashioned rock and roll slide. I feel like I'm twenty again!"

GATHERING NO MOSS

Following the release of the album, the Stones plan to tour in 2005, and, after the wild critical acclaim garnered during the 'Licks World Tour', will play shows in several different venues.

"I loved the club shows," said Jagger. "It was like playing in someone's living room, just totally relaxed and on top of everything. We'll probably do more of those, and with a stripped-down band, as well."

The Rolling Stones, the greatest rock'n'roll band of the past forty years, are breaking their "Seven Year Silence" this October, with a tour to follow next year. More information will be available as recording progresses.

For More Information:
www.rollingstones.com/7ys (Opening April 13, 2004)

This is THE BEST NEWS I've heard in MONTHS! Fuck, this is fantastic. People're asking me at school why I'm dancing around my computer, reading this e-mail.

Oh, man, oh man, oh man.

-tSYX --- Don't stop, baby baby don't stop!
04-01-04 09:29 AM
sandrew OK, who wasted an hour of their life fabricating THAT story?
04-01-04 09:30 AM
LadyJane Is this an April Fool's joke???

If so, it is just cruel.

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
04-01-04 09:34 AM
sandrew The quotes aren't even remotely plausible. C'mon. It's April Fool's -- you can do better than that!

A couple years ago, a friend pulled one on me that I fell for all the way: Keith Richards had suffered a minor heart attack and was recovering, in stable condition, at a Connecticut hospital.

Very believable, but not too exaggerated -- that's the key to a good 4/1 prank.
04-01-04 09:42 AM
Zeeta HAHA!

Good one mate! I forgot to do one! It would have been just like this!

It's past 12 Noon here so too late!
04-01-04 09:47 AM
erikjjf "Mac" gave it all away!
04-01-04 09:50 AM
Joey

April Fools !!!!!

Hacky !
04-01-04 10:04 AM
gotdablouse Coming after the "Birth of a Guitar God" thread in the fall of 2002, this has definitely sealed your reputation...
04-01-04 11:08 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
"Seven Year Silence", coincidentally the title of the album.

how gullible can you be? everybody knows the title is going to be Warhorses :P
04-01-04 12:14 PM
jb

04-01-04 12:20 PM
padre But where's the "special appearences from both Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor" -line?
04-01-04 04:05 PM
J.J.Flash Oh Xyzzy, how I wish it could be the truth!

all my dreams!
04-01-04 04:07 PM
jb
04-01-04 04:22 PM
Joey

04-01-04 04:24 PM
jb
04-01-04 04:29 PM
Joey
04-01-04 04:30 PM
jb
04-01-04 04:32 PM
Joey

04-01-04 05:07 PM
Bloozehound ...get wasted elegantly!

04-01-04 05:41 PM
Martha Crap...I went into overdrive for a minute.... of all people, I almost forgot what damn day it is...har har!

Yet, so much of me wants it to be true. :-(

Damn you Xyzzy!

"Tell me it isn't true"
04-02-04 11:24 PM
Trey Krimsin I should have known that this was an April Fools' Joke. Why would they call a song called "Seven Year Silence". They haven't had a song and album of the same name since "Dirty Work" (I think). That should have told me something.

In my opinion, if they did have a new album come out this year, it should be called "Seven Year Bitch". It just sounds better.