ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

July 14, 1971
Villefranche sur mer, Villa Nellcote, FRANCE
Basement of Keith Richards' house
By Dominique Tarlé

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review Of Bowie @ Philly Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-30-04 01:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well awlraht!

I got more than my money's worth again.

It was a long ride to the show. The plan was to leave early so I could hit South Street for some pre gig fun. Traffic on the Blue Route put the kibosh on that idea. I had the misfortune of getting stuck behind a wreck. Took 70 minutes to get us moving again. It was still stop & go all the way to 95 after that. So since it was already 5pm, and I still had at least 30 minutes of travel time to go...I just headed right to the Wachovia Center. Good thing I left the recorder at home because I got a very thorough wanding as I went in. I would have been busted for sure. And I had "event staff" right beside me again. They weren't concert nazi's like at the Tweeter Center across the river, but I never would have gotten away with recording the show. They busted a couple of people for photography, and tossed out an obnoxious drunk that puked on a chick and her kid.

So I'm killing some time at the Red Bell Pub, knockin back some stouts...when I get approached by 2 older Jewish women...Sharon & Barbara. I know they were Jewish because it was one of the first thing they told me. So one gets on one side of me, the other takes the other side. These chicks looked like they could have been my mother's age...definately 50's. Barbara buys me another beer, and Sharon starts chatting me up. It was hilarious. Turns out that they wanted to make a Sir Stonesalot kosher sandwich outta me. They wanted my kosher dill! I couldn't help it, but I busted out laughing right in their faces. Even Frank the Bartender was laughing his ass off. I mean, it was so pathetic. What else could I do? I tried to politely say no twice...but they didn't want to hear it. Even after I told them I was married they kept trying to work me. I finally lost it when Barbara told me that she was a blues singer and could do wonders with her throat...that was just it, you know? I HAD to laugh. They got really mad at me. Sharon was gonna throw her beer on me, but Frank the Bartender took it from her before she could. Needless to say, Frank got a nice tip.

So, with a huge grin on my face, I make my way to my seat...right beside "event staff" again. Good seat in the lower level, right side of the stage maybe 25-30 rows back. I had to sit beside a kissy faced couple, and I had to chuckle. Everytime the girl made some mushy remark, I thought back to Sharon and Barbara. It was so funny.

So the opening act was supposed to be Macey Gray...but that was for the December show. Now we got "The Polyphonic Spree". A bunch of fuckin' hippies in, like, choir robes. They had a harp player. Not a harmonica type harp...a big ol' massive stringed harp. They also had a timpani player. And a French Horn player. I was NOT impressed. Can you say...SUCKED? I coulda seen Macey Gray but I ended up with this bullshit??? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck THAT!! I went out and got some food(yuck), and some coffee(they got a Dunkin Donuts at the Wachovia Center...I love Dunkin Donuts coffee!).

So Bowie comes out at around 8:30pm. He has a cool little intro film running. The stage is very spartan. No big eyeballs or crazy projections. Dave takes his place on a little runway that pokes out into the crowd, and turns on his rock star switch.

Earl Slick slams into a muscular version of Rebel Rebel. The band kicks in, and they are BEEFY! Dave is ripping into it, striking all the framiliar Bowie poses...but making silly faces while he's doing it. He's obviously having a lot of fun.

The band is really tight, and smoking hot. Dave knows it too. He had that swagger. They bang through Hang Onto Yourself, New Killer Star, Fame, and All The Young Dudes. But when he stepped up to the mic and said "This is a song from a fantastic band called the Pixies. They just got back together, and I can't wait to play some shows with them. This song is called Cactus.", I just lost it. Hell, I even had on my "Death To The Pixies" t-shirt! I yelled out, "No FUCKIN' WAY!" Yes fuckin' way! David Bowie said let there be rock and roll...and there was rock and roll. I was dancin and singin and smurfin all over the aisle. People stared, people gaped, the kissy faced couple kept smoochin...I didn't care. Dave and his band made my night. That 3 minutes made the $68.00 and 6 hours of road time all worth it and then some.

Other highlights were a muffed version of Quicksand. Dave forgot the words and stopped the song mid-verse. And he was roundly applauded. He says, "No one leaves here till I get a slow one right...I hope you have the next couple of days free...". So the stage goes black, and a single spot hits him, and he launches into Life On Mars. And it is stunningly, achingly, beautiful. Mike Garson's piano playing is so poetic. The last 3rd of the song has the whole band kicking in. He was obviously apologizing for the fuck up earlier by pouring it all into this one. A sight to behold. Then it's another go at Quicksand...and it is spot on perfect.

He introduced a couple of Heathen songs so I made a dash to the potty to get rid of the coffee. When I got back he was just finishing up Heathen. And rips into a balls out I'm Afraid Of Americans. In the intro to this he asked the crowd what we thought of John Kerry...then upon hearing the cheers and boos he quips "Oh my, look what I started." He goes on to say, "I don't get too wrapped up in elections, after all, I'm just a guy who sings rock and roll songs about love and Satan." They also did a version of Little Wonder on steroids. It really was a little wonder.

The show proper ended with punk rock versions of Suffragette City(ever heard 23,000 people all yelling Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am at the same time?), and White Light/White Heat. Dave says as he's strapping on his guitar for the last song, "I think I've been playing this song as long as I've been alive...so that's what, 25 years or so?". Chuckle Chuckle, Har Har Har. Folks this was a real by God rock and roll song played by a real by God rock and roll band. While they were bashing out this blistering song, I thought of my long dead pal Rick, and I smiled. Many fond memories of hollering the back vocals for him on this song.

As the band left the stage, the stomping began. I don't know how it is in other places, but in Philly people stomp and clap for encores. The whole place was shaking. Kinda scary, but way cool, and very loud...like an earthquake rumble.

DB didn't keep us waiting long. The band strolls out, and Dave has on a 12 string. They do a sing along of 5 Years with the house lights on. Bowie conducting his 23,000 voice chior. The show ended with a rousing, pounding version of Ziggy. Dave even struck the classic pose from the DA Pannebaker film of the last Spiders show..."Well Ziggy played...POSE...guiiiiiiiiittttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh". The big screen behind the band flashed B O W I E as the great man and his great band accepted the accolades of the jazzed Philly crowd. And there were many accolades to accept. The older space cadets still throw roses at him. He sniffs them and throws them back.

I bail for the parking lot before they even do the final bow. And a good thing too...I get out of the parking lot and onto 95 in just a couple of minutes. My heart was still pounding pretty hard. I looked at my watch, 11:08. Dave played for a good 2 1/2 hours. And a wonderous 2 1/2 hours it was!.

People, David Bowie has written some magnificent songs. He is out on tour with a magnificent band. He is playing those magnificent songs with his magnificent band in magnificent fashion. If you haven't decided to buy a ticket yet....DO IT! GO GO GO!!! You will have a fabulous time. I did.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
03-30-04 01:07 PM
LadyJane I have goose bumps SS!!

The Buffalo theatre show in May is a sellout. I MUST find a way!! Time to search out the scalpers!

LJ.
03-30-04 01:10 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well awlraht!

I got more than my money's worth again.

It was a long ride to the show. The plan was to leave early so I could hit South Street for some pre gig fun. Traffic on the Blue Route put the kibosh on that idea. I had the misfortune of getting stuck behind a wreck. Took 70 minutes to get us moving again. It was still stop & go all the way to 95 after that. So since it was already 5pm, and I still had at least 30 minutes of travel time to go...I just headed right to the Wachovia Center. Good thing I left the recorder at home because I got a very thorough wanding as I went in. I would have been busted for sure. And I had "event staff" right beside me again. They weren't concert nazi's like at the Tweeter Center across the river, but I never would have gotten away with recording the show. They busted a couple of people for photography, and tossed out an obnoxious drunk that puked on a chick and her kid.

So I'm killing some time at the Red Bell Pub, knockin back some stouts...when I get approached by 2 older Jewish women...Sharon & Barbara. I know they were Jewish because it was one of the first thing they told me. So one gets on one side of me, the other takes the other side. These chicks looked like they could have been my mother's age...definately 50's. Barbara buys me another beer, and Sharon starts chatting me up. It was hilarious. Turns out that they wanted to make a Sir Stonesalot kosher sandwich outta me. They wanted my kosher dill! I couldn't help it, but I busted out laughing right in their faces. Even Frank the Bartender was laughing his ass off. I mean, it was so pathetic. What else could I do? I tried to politely say no twice...but they didn't want to hear it. Even after I told them I was married they kept trying to work me. I finally lost it when Barbara told me that she was a blues singer and could do wonders with her throat...that was just it, you know? I HAD to laugh. They got really mad at me. Sharon was gonna throw her beer on me, but Frank the Bartender took it from her before she could. Needless to say, Frank got a nice tip.

So, with a huge grin on my face, I make my way to my seat...right beside "event staff" again. Good seat in the lower level, right side of the stage maybe 25-30 rows back. I had to sit beside a kissy faced couple, and I had to chuckle. Everytime the girl made some mushy remark, I thought back to Sharon and Barbara. It was so funny.

So the opening act was supposed to be Macey Gray...but that was for the December show. Now we got "The Polyphonic Spree". A bunch of fuckin' hippies in, like, choir robes. They had a harp player. Not a harmonica type harp...a big ol' massive stringed harp. They also had a timpani player. And a French Horn player. I was NOT impressed. Can you say...SUCKED? I coulda seen Macey Gray but I ended up with this bullshit??? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck THAT!! I went out and got some food(yuck), and some coffee(they got a Dunkin Donuts at the Wachovia Center...I love Dunkin Donuts coffee!).

So Bowie comes out at around 8:30pm. He has a cool little intro film running. The stage is very spartan. No big eyeballs or crazy projections. Dave takes his place on a little runway that pokes out into the crowd, and turns on his rock star switch.

Earl Slick slams into a muscular version of Rebel Rebel. The band kicks in, and they are BEEFY! Dave is ripping into it, striking all the framiliar Bowie poses...but making silly faces while he's doing it. He's obviously having a lot of fun.

The band is really tight, and smoking hot. Dave knows it too. He had that swagger. They bang through Hang Onto Yourself, New Killer Star, Fame, and All The Young Dudes. But when he stepped up to the mic and said "This is a song from a fantastic band called the Pixies. They just got back together, and I can't wait to play some shows with them. This song is called Cactus.", I just lost it. Hell, I even had on my "Death To The Pixies" t-shirt! I yelled out, "No FUCKIN' WAY!" Yes fuckin' way! David Bowie said let there be rock and roll...and there was rock and roll. I was dancin and singin and smurfin all over the aisle. People stared, people gaped, the kissy faced couple kept smoochin...I didn't care. Dave and his band made my night. That 3 minutes made the $68.00 and 6 hours of road time all worth it and then some.

Other highlights were a muffed version of Quicksand. Dave forgot the words and stopped the song mid-verse. And he was roundly applauded. He says, "No one leaves here till I get a slow one right...I hope you have the next couple of days free...". So the stage goes black, and a single spot hits him, and he launches into Life On Mars. And it is stunningly, achingly, beautiful. Mike Garson's piano playing is so poetic. The last 3rd of the song has the whole band kicking in. He was obviously apologizing for the fuck up earlier by pouring it all into this one. A sight to behold. Then it's another go at Quicksand...and it is spot on perfect.

He introduced a couple of Heathen songs so I made a dash to the potty to get rid of the coffee. When I got back he was just finishing up Heathen. And rips into a balls out I'm Afraid Of Americans. In the intro to this he asked the crowd what we thought of John Kerry...then upon hearing the cheers and boos he quips "Oh my, look what I started." He goes on to say, "I don't get too wrapped up in elections, after all, I'm just a guy who sings rock and roll songs about love and Satan." They also did a version of Little Wonder on steroids. It really was a little wonder.

The show proper ended with a punk rock versions of Suffragette City(ever heard 23,000 people all yelling Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am at the same time?), and White Light/White Heat. Dave says as he's strapping on his guitar for the last song, "I think I've been playing this song as long as I've been alive...so that's what, 25 years or so?". Chuckle Chuckle, Har Har Har. Folks this was a real by God rock and roll song played by a real by God rock and roll band. While they were bashing out this blistering song, I thought of my long dead pal Rick, and I smiled. Many fond memories of hollering the back vocals for him on this song.

As the band left the stage, the stomping began. I don't know how it is in other places, but in Philly people stomp and clap for encores. The whole place was shaking. Kinda scary, but way cool, and very loud...like an earthquake rumble.

DB didn't keep us waiting long. The band strolls out, and Dave has on a 12 string. They do a sing along of 5 Years with the house lights on. Bowie conducting his 23,000 voice chior. The show ended with a rousing, pounding version of Ziggy. Dave even struck the classic pose from the DA Pannebaker film of the last Spiders show..."Well Ziggy played........guiiiiiiiiittttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh". The big screen behind the band flashed B O W I E as the great man and his great band accepted the accolades of the jazzed Philly crowd. And there were many accolades to accept. The older space cadets still throw roses at him. He sniffs them and throws them back.

I bail for the parking lot before they even do the final bow. And a good thing too...I get out of the parking lot and onto 95 in just a couple of minutes. My heart was still pounding pretty hard. I looked at my watch, 11:08. Dave played for a good 2 1/2 hours. And a wonderous 2 1/2 hours it was!.

People, David Bowie has written some magnificent songs. He is out on tour with a magnificent band. He is playing those magnificent songs with his magnificent band in magnificent fashion. If you haven't decided to buy a ticket yet....DO IT! GO GO GO!!! You will have a fabulous time. I did.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

Outstanding Post Stoney ..........................One of the finest pieces of material I have EVER had the distinct pleasure of reading . Truly , you are the measure by which all other posters are to be judged on this orb .

Top Notch !!!!

TOP NOTCH !!!!

Jercee !
03-30-04 01:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Wow. Bowie is a master showman/musician no doubt. Honestly I couldn't slog through all the particulars of your review yet. I will though. But the vibe is certainly catching. And I'd be willing to bet, Bowie wasn't even trying.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
03-30-04 01:40 PM
luxury1 Thanks SS!! Now I am really pumped for the JOnes Beach, NY show in June. A friend in CA gave me a similar review of some shows out there recently.

Get to that theatre show, LadyJane!!
03-30-04 01:43 PM
Dan
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I left the recorder at home because I got a very thorough wanding as I went in. I would have been busted for sure. And I had "event staff" right beside me again. They weren't concert nazi's like at the Tweeter Center across the river, but I never would have gotten away with recording the show.

Dude, wands are useless! Also I made special modifications to my jacket when I scored 2nd row for one of the Shrine shows since security would be almost on top of me. I am sure someone got it though.
quote:
I coulda seen Macey Gray but I ended up with this bullshit???

Macy Gray was lame though. I can send you some discs if you want to hear what she sounds like live. No charisma or stage presence at all.
quote:

He introduced a couple of Heathen songs so I made a dash to the potty to get rid of the coffee. When I got back he was just finishing up Heathen.

At the shows I was at, Hallo Spaceboy was the best closely followed by the Heathen songs.
quote:

In LA, encores are taken for granted. Little noise at all

quote:

He is coming back in a few weeks, not sure I am going to go again though.
03-30-04 01:45 PM
Dan
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I have goose bumps SS!!

The Buffalo theatre show in May is a sellout. I MUST find a way!! Time to search out the scalpers!

LJ.

Keep checking TM. I got 10th row center for the first Shrine show right out of the box office and 2nd row for the 2nd show off TM the night before. Both shows were instant sellouts. They didnt even sell any of the first 3 rows for the Shrine show until the night before.
03-30-04 02:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man...I forgot about Hallo Spaceboy! It was HARD man! Not like the wimpy version with the Pet Shop Boys at all...it was incenciary.

I'm not a big fan of the Heathen stuff. I much prefer Reality.

Macy Gray may have sucked, but she could not have sucked worse than The Polyphonic Spree. Blech!

I was really surprised at how in your face the guitars were all night. The sound guy got it right last night...that is for sure.
03-30-04 02:24 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So the opening act was supposed to be Macey Gray...but that was for the December show. Now we got "The Polyphonic Spree". A bunch of fuckin' hippies in, like, choir robes.

Oh man, that cult?!?!?! I've seen them on the teevee.

quote:
(they got a Dunkin Donuts at the Wachovia Center...I love Dunkin Donuts coffee!).

I hear ya. Never cared for Starbucks until I went to Seattle in February, now I crave the stronger stuff.

Nice review, wish I could write 'em like dat.
03-30-04 02:26 PM
jb
03-30-04 02:54 PM
Martha AWESOME review Stonesy!!!!

We were thinkin' of you while watching Prince's tour opener from a movie theater in Columbus late last night. The show KILLED.....

So, I have one word to say to you my R&R friend...GO!

Go see Prince and please reivew that show for us!

:-)

BTW, Were those women at the bar Floozies??????

kisses,
Martha
03-30-04 02:55 PM
jb
03-30-04 02:56 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Martha wrote:

We were thinkin' of you while watching Prince's tour opener from a movie theater in Columbus late last night. The show KILLED.....

That's great to hear. Some guy in the crowd last night was talking about Prince at the RnR HOF.
03-30-04 02:58 PM
Joey

03-30-04 02:59 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:02 PM
Joey

Gimme a

Gimme a

Gimme a

Gimme a

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah ,

03-30-04 03:07 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:24 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:26 PM
jb
03-30-04 05:05 PM
Mr. D I was a the show last night as well...1st Bowie show and I LOVED it. Everything hit....even stuff from Heathen which thought i wouldn't enjoy.....Earl Slick had an awesome solo at he end of Sunday. Also, Hallo Spaceboy was great. Terrific "Under Pressure"....just hit in every way. The whole show was great. He had such a great mix of songs from every era of his career, except the Berlin period. And his backing band is quite solid. The highlight for me was Bowie botching the vocals to Quicksand, then playing Life on Mars? to make up for it..followed by a pefect version of Quicksand. I highly recommend seeing Bowie, he put on an utterly fantastic show.BTW, where's the Dunkin Donuts inside the Wachovia Center?
03-30-04 07:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dunkin Donuts was on the main concourse...down past where all the pictures of all the Flyers players were. It was part of an AraMark concession stand...I almost missed it, 'cept I smelled the coffee and followed my nose.

It was a fun time, sure enough.

You are right about Under Pressure. Gail Ann Dorsey does it way better than Freddy Mercury ever did. That was one Bowie song I never really cared for until he started doing it with Gail Ann.

Speaking of Gail Ann Dorsey...I never knew she was a local gal. Cool.
03-30-04 08:40 PM
Mr. D Wow, gotta go to the dunkin donuts next time....yes it was very nice to see the crowd go wild for local girl Gail Ann...great voice, and a pretty decent bassist as well.
03-31-04 12:31 AM
parmeda Bravo, SS!
Just one thing struck me a little odd, dear.
Two Jewish women bellying up to a bar drinking beer?
(That had to be fricken priceless!)

Your review was great. Makes me want to kick my own ass for skipping out on seeing David... *hangs head & pouts*

Take Martha's Prince advice
That's going to be one hell of a show for me this summer.

And for the record...you have great taste when it comes to a good cup of java!

03-31-04 01:15 AM
Madafaka Thanks SS, great review!
03-31-04 02:59 AM
UGot2Rollme similar standouts when I saw Bowie in Zurich - Rebel Rebel,
Afraid of Americans, Under Pressure

nice review - Philly crowds are the best
04-01-04 12:24 AM
Child of the Moon EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! SS, you make me giddy with delight!!!!! I'm seeing him on the 13th, baybee!!!!!
04-01-04 01:54 AM
L&A Thanks SS, great review.
I saw Bowie for the 2nd time a few months ago in Antwerp and it was fantastic. Bowie & Jagger are my 2 rock-heroes since nearly 25 years.
04-01-04 04:03 AM
MarthaMyDear BOWIE, YOU SAY?!?!?!:

THANK YOU, MAAM!!! lol... lol... :P lol.

*** Martha ***
04-01-04 09:44 AM
Joey

A MASTERPIECE ...................................

( A Review by The Joey : Dateline April 1st , 2004 )

Stoney's Manifesto : More than a post , its a battle cry , and a hammer of heartbeats -- for this latest effort by Sir Stonesalot is a true Masterpiece -- sap flowing from the roots of his very creation .

S.S. 's pen is his conductor's baton and general's staff . It shouts and cajoles and drenches us in sheets of sound -- and sometimes it has a touching , ethereal quality that is far , far removed from the tumult of a " Mods " vs. " Rockers " confrontation .

This recent posting demonstrates the kind of project that progressive British Rock is all about -- all the facilities , imagination and talent have always been there but rarely has one succeeded in distilling its essence and embracing a motif as convincingly as Stoney on this most prodigious of message boards . Like Wagner's " Ring " cycle , it is exhausting , but richly rewarding .

I Thank You All For Your Time This Morning !

The Joey , Established 1999

Quality ..............Visionary ...............Joey !
04-01-04 01:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK Joey, OK....

Why all the sucking up all of the sudden?

If you want something from me, just ask...after all, you are C10. No sucking up required.
Page: 1 2