ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

July 14, 1971
Villefranche sur mer, Villa Nellcote, FRANCE
Basement of Keith Richards' house
By Dominique Tarlé

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Kids listening to parents' classic rock bands Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-30-04 08:56 AM
Factory Girl
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2004-03-29-classic-rock-kids_x.htm
03-30-04 09:12 AM
FotiniD >Allman and brother Duane, who died in 1971, found their >direction by searching for the roots of music that >flowered in the '60s. "We wanted to see what we missed, so >we found Robert Johnson and Big Bill Broonzy," he >says. "That's what kids are doing now, seeing where stuff >came from."

Rather interesting view, and I totally agree.

Growing up, I had my father playing classic rock and 60's and 70's music all the time, so it was more or less unavoidable to end up listening to the same stuff! When I was about 16-17 (23 today ) I had a collection of Queen, Zeppelin, Cream and Bowie cd's and my dad's friends couldn't believe it So I think I can blame my dad for the "bad" habits of being stuck on older acts

The funny thing though is that my dad used to really NOT like the Stones Weird thing, I turned out to be a fan! He used to say they were "too loud" and preferred stuff like Pink Floyd. But yes, the influence is there. And I like it!

Problem is, I worry that if I ever get round to having kids myself, I'll be brainwashing them with Stones all day long... It's hard to avoid! And what if they turn out to be fans of some stupid boyband or something? OH MY GOD! Absolute nightmare
03-30-04 11:28 AM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]FotiniD wrote:
>Allman and brother Duane, who died in 1971, found their >direction by searching for the roots of music that >flowered in the '60s. "We wanted to see what we missed, so >we found Robert Johnson and Big Bill Broonzy," he >says. "That's what kids are doing now, seeing where stuff >came from."

>Problem is, I worry that if I ever get round to having kids myself, I'll be brainwashing them with Stones all day long... It's hard to avoid!<

Well, nothing wrong with that.

>And what if they turn out to be fans of some stupid boyband or something? <

Well there's nothing necessarily wrong with that either. Depending on age and circumstance. I think over the years we've all actually liked some junk once in awhile. But kids grow out of that sort of thing usually. My mom always had Elvis, Everley Bros, and other assorted 50's and early 60's country music playing. But at home (I was raised by my grandparents) my Grandfather HATED Elvis!! You know, the world was going to hell in a handbasket with Elvis leading the way. It's funny he used to hate American Bandstand the way some parents hate MTV today. Tecnichally even that wasn't "allowed" in the house. But as it always came on when he was still at work my aunts watched it anway.
03-30-04 11:31 AM
jb
03-30-04 01:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot My kid listens to the same stuff I listen to.

I got home from the Bowie show last night, and saw that he had out my Robbie Fulks CDs.

I don't think it's a matter of brainwashing the kid. Yeah I took him to see the Stones...but wouldn't any good Dad? He's been buggin me to see Dylan too. I'm not hauling him to DC with me, but if Bob comes around here later on, I'll take him. He's my son, he deserves to see Bob.

My kid likes what he likes. I don't make him like anything. He decides for himself. He loves the White Stripes. He cried when his Mom said he couldn't go see them with me. I was gonna take him out of school to go, but Mom put her foot down. Next time, he's going regardless of what Mom says.

My kid likes Elvis. He likes Johnny Cash. He likes the Sex Pistols. He flops around on the floor at all the right parts.

He doesn't like Nick Cave though. He says Nick is too creepy. And he doesn't seem to care for the blues too much.

Maybe he needs to turn 9 before he can appreciate the blues...
03-30-04 02:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>My kid listens to the same stuff I listen to.<

Just a chip off the old block... huh?

>I don't think it's a matter of brainwashing the kid. Yeah I took him to see the Stones...but wouldn't any good Dad? He's been buggin me to see Dylan too. I'm not hauling him to DC with me, but if Bob comes around here later on, I'll take him. He's my son, he deserves to see Bob.<

Good solid Good taste Genes I guess.

But sometimes it's better to just let kids be kids. Awful hard in todays world as people like Britney Spears and her handlers seem to no comprension at all of how kids minds work. Not that they would care.
03-30-04 02:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot My kid could like Brittany if he wanted. It's not like I shield him from it or anything. He went through a whole NSync/Backstreet Boys thing. It was over pretty quick though...

My wife gets really upset when she tries to get him into Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith and he won't have anything to do with it. In fact, last time my wife tried to play Toby Keith in the car, my boy asked her to turn it off. He said, and I quote, "Mom, can you turn that off? I'd rather listen to nothing than that crap." I thought my wife's eyes were gonna pop out of her head. man if looks could kill, I'd be dead. I don't know how I kept from laughing. Probably fear I guess. It was a very quiet ride home.
03-30-04 03:11 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:11 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:15 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:21 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:22 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:26 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:29 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
My wife gets really upset when she tries to get him into Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith and he won't have anything to do with it. In fact, last time my wife tried to play Toby Keith in the car, my boy asked her to turn it off. He said, and I quote, "Mom, can you turn that off? I'd rather listen to nothing than that crap."

Look, I don't think Toby Keith is that bad. Nothing I'd buy but...I kind of liked his duet with Willie, Beer for My Horses. Your boy might have liked that one. lol.. But parenting is a full time job. Kids are great so I'm told....it's the Grandchildren you have to be careful of.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
03-31-04 12:45 AM
PolkSalad
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
My kid listens to the same stuff I listen to.

I got home from the Bowie show last night, and saw that he had out my Robbie Fulks CDs.

I don't think it's a matter of brainwashing the kid. Yeah I took him to see the Stones...but wouldn't any good Dad? He's been buggin me to see Dylan too. I'm not hauling him to DC with me, but if Bob comes around here later on, I'll take him. He's my son, he deserves to see Bob.

My kid likes what he likes. I don't make him like anything. He decides for himself. He loves the White Stripes. He cried when his Mom said he couldn't go see them with me. I was gonna take him out of school to go, but Mom put her foot down. Next time, he's going regardless of what Mom says.

My kid likes Elvis. He likes Johnny Cash. He likes the Sex Pistols. He flops around on the floor at all the right parts.

He doesn't like Nick Cave though. He says Nick is too creepy. And he doesn't seem to care for the blues too much.

Maybe he needs to turn 9 before he can appreciate the blues...

That kid's got great taste in music. Is that the same kid that hates Toby Queef and Kenny Chesney? Good for him because pop cuntry really does suck.

03-31-04 12:50 AM
Bloozehound i like this bar, my kind of place

03-31-04 12:53 AM
parmeda
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
That kid's got great taste in music. Is that the same kid that hates Toby Queef and Kenny Chesney? Good for him because pop cuntry really does suck.

Yes, Polk...and that kid's got a great dad that's into multi-culturing his child
03-31-04 12:54 AM
Dan I am 30 and my mom is almost 50 so our musical tastes overlap quite a bit. Saw a recent Bowie show with her and Stones at the Wiltern as well as the Pretenders (twice), Who (twice) and the Stones 2 other times. Sometimes I run her and her husband something exceptional out of the private collection if I think they might like it.
03-31-04 05:46 AM
Zack Man, I wish my kid, who's 13, would like the same style of music as I like. He likes Linkin Park. When I got the new Decca remasters, I gave him all my old ABKO versions, plus SF and TY, which I upgraded to Virgin recently. They sit on his shelf unplayed. I also offer to lend him the Hives, the Vines, White Stripes . . . I can lead the horse to water but he's not drinking. Oh well, at least he's not doping and drinking like I was at his age.
03-31-04 11:55 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Dan wrote:
I am 30 and my mom is almost 50

Damn, born in '69 and my momma was born the same year as Mick & Keith.
03-31-04 12:30 PM
Lazy Bones I'm 30 and my dad's 48 (49 in August). I, too, grew up with the likes of classic rock. The biggest influences were Zeppelin, Neil Young, The Stones and Bob Seger.

In fact, we still (always have) go to shows together. I guess you can say he's my tour buddy. It's a unique experience when you can go to a show together and he'll talk about what it was like to see them in, say, the 70s. I still tick my wife off a bit when family dinners at the house turn into dad and I resorting to the basement to listen to new albums, etc. I warned her...

I still give him shit for not taking me to see Dylan, locally (!), when I was 8. Back then, Kitchener-Waterloo only had a population of around 100,000. To get Dylan in K-W was a big thing. Closest was London, ON and Toronto since then.

This is what I missed -

Kitchener Arena / Kitchener, Ontario, Canada / October 31, 1981:

Gotta Serve Somebody / I Believe In You / Like A Rolling Stone / I Want You / Man Gave Names To All The Animals / Maggie's Farm / Girl From The North Country / Ballad Of A Thin Man / Heart Of Mine / All Along The Watchtower / It's All In The Game / Forever Young / Gamblin' Man / The Times They Are A-Changin' / A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall / Masters Of War / Watered-Down Love / Dead Man, Dead Man / Just Like A Woman / Solid Rock / Mr. Tambourine Man / When You Gonna Wake Up / In The Garden / Blowin' In The Wind / Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic) / It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)(acoustic) / Are You Ready? / Knockin' On Heaven's Door
03-31-04 04:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, see Bones, right there is the kinda thing I'm trying to avoid with my son.

I want him to be able to tell HIS grandkids that he saw REAL rock n roll royalty, true originals. I want him to be able to put "He saw the Stones and Bob Dylan" on his grave stone.

No matter what happens in his later life, no one will ever be able to take that away from him.

He was singing "Keeeeeeeep on rockin in the freeeeee werld!" in the shower this morning. I stuck my head in and he was playing air guitar. My wife has no chance. She might as well forget about that "new country" crap with him.

Rock n Roll wins again.
03-31-04 05:08 PM
Bloozehound I put my priorities on my children getting a first class education, so they have the chance to get ahead in life.

03-31-04 05:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot My mom is my son's Principal, and his mom just got her teaching certificate. I'll let his Mom & Nan worry about the 1st class education...I'll give him the 1st class rock n roll education.

I also got the athletic thing covered. It's baseball and golf season you know.
03-31-04 06:06 PM
Mr. D I'm 16 and I've been listening to the classics for around 5 years now...and I'm still discovering. With kids these days, it's either they like the classics or they don't. My dad didn't prod me to listen to his music...i heard him playing it, liked it, and then persued it on my own, much to the surprse (and joy) of dad. I know kids whose parents play the classics just as much as my parents, but the kids just don't take to it. They'd rather just listen to the stuff that's out now. Some of the new stuff i can get into, but this punk/emo garbage that floats around these days has gotta go. There needs to be more real rock bands like the Hives and Jet.
03-31-04 10:01 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Yeah, see Bones, right there is the kinda thing I'm trying to avoid with my son.

What are you trying to avoid?

04-01-04 01:25 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan My daughter is 24, I'm 47, she grew up being around all kinds of music and guitar playing, She went from 1 sound to another, one band to another, went thru a Country Phase, Michael Jackson, New Kids on the Block, U name it! But she loves the Stones as much as me, (well almost) were waiting for the Tour to start!!! You always come back to the roots of Rock N Roll...and Mick, Keef, Charlie and now Woody are all part of those roots... No matter how old you are(or how young) The Stones Rule!!!!!!
04-01-04 02:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Bones...

I want to avoid my son wishing in his later years that his Dad woulda taken him to see Bob Dylan when he had the chance. Like you regret not seeing that '81 show...y'know?
04-01-04 02:34 PM
Joey " My daughter is 24 "

Come to Joey .................................
Page: 1 2