ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

July 14, 1971
Villefranche sur mer, Villa Nellcote, FRANCE
Basement of Keith Richards' house
By Dominique Tarlé

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Honkin' On Bobo New Aerosmith Album Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-29-04 12:35 PM
wisertime Just bought new Aerosmith album, it's a fuckin' great album!!!
CD artwork is also fabulous,the best tracks after a first listen :
-Shame Shame Shame
-Eyesight To The Blind
-Baby Please Don't Go (AWESOME!!)
-Temperature
-Stop Messin' Around
Let's hope they'll do an european tour after the US tour!!
03-29-04 01:06 PM
ResidentMule i downloaded it last week. its pretty good
03-29-04 01:09 PM
Martha Welcome to the board wisertime! I'm picking up Honkin' later in the week and seeing the Boys on the 16th. Looking VERY forward to that! Thanks for the review of Honkin'.

Aerosmith interviewed on Dateline last night and I saw/heard a bit of the new show since the interview, which focused on Steven, included some of that footage. Looks like the stage is stripped down with no frills this time.

I hope they come over to see you too! :-) The US tour ends in early June...and those boys LIKE to stay on the road. I'd take that as a good sign ...hehehe

"Boom boom boom boom...gonna shoot ya' right down..."
03-29-04 05:33 PM
glencar I'm seeing them Thursday night in FLA.
03-29-04 10:19 PM
Bloozehound I heard their take of "road runner" on the radio last night.

Rockabilly-ish, garage band-sounding.

Not too bad, but seeing how it's Aerosmith I expected a little something more.

Kinda reminded me of how the Cramps would sound w/S. Tyler singing vocals.

03-30-04 02:34 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I heard their take of "road runner" on the radio last night.

Rockabilly-ish, garage band-sounding.

Not too bad, but seeing how it's Aerosmith I expected a little something more.

Kinda reminded me of how the Cramps would sound w/S. Tyler singing vocals.

So did I but I got to where I was going and parked the car and turned it off. If it sounds like the Cramps, that can't be a bad thing.

[Edited by polksalad69]
03-30-04 05:54 AM
wisertime There is Tracy Bonham on vocals on 2 tracks, she does a great job.
One other great moment is "Stop Messin' Around" (sung by Joe Perry) with the great harmonica part and some vocals by Steven Tyler.
"Roadrunner" is not my favorite track on the album.

Johnnie Johnson is the guest on one track, if I remember well it's on "High Temperature".
03-30-04 06:50 AM
Stonesprofessor
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm seeing them Thursday night in FLA.

Tell me what ya think of Cheap Trick too....
03-30-04 07:56 AM
Nellcote I'm down with Bobo. I've had it since Sunday, it does rock.
I'm not sold on "You Gotta Move" however, the rest is good.
It is getting blues into the mainstream, which 'Smith should be lauded for. Now, for those who get turned on to this, and have not heard the origins, go out and get product by:

Mississippi Fred McDowell
Willie Dixon
Sonny Boy Williamson
Little Walter
Elmore James
Howlin Wolf
Muddy Waters

You will thank me later.
03-30-04 10:01 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Stonesprofessor wrote:

Tell me what ya think of Cheap Trick too....

Would like to hear dat too.
03-30-04 06:00 PM
Lil Brian I took "You Gotta Move" as a homage to Muscle Shoals.
[Edited by Lil Brian]
03-30-04 10:51 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

It is getting blues into the mainstream, which 'Smith should be lauded for. Now, for those who get turned on to this, and have not heard the origins, go out and get product by:

Willie Dixon
Sonny Boy Williamson
Little Walter
Elmore James
Howlin Wolf
Muddy Waters

You will thank me later.

Wait...didn't the STONES do this for us already? 40 years ago?

03-30-04 11:34 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Now, for those who get turned on to this, and have not heard the origins, go out and get product by:

Willie Dixon
Sonny Boy Williamson
Little Walter
Elmore James
Howlin Wolf
Muddy Waters

You will thank me later.

Yesh.

03-31-04 12:09 AM
Bloozehound They will thank you later.

03-31-04 07:42 AM
quackenbush Aerosmith's latest album is more of an homage to the Rolling Stones than the bluesman's songs they sing. Who is going to buy the album besides Aerosmith fanatics?
03-31-04 09:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Some blues notes from Steven Tyler
3/30/2004

Steven Tyler's song-by-song account of the new Aerosmith CD, "Honkin' on Bobo" (original writers are in parentheses):

"Road Runner" (Bo Did- dley): "The first time I heard it was on an album by a [British] band called the Pretty Things. It was phenomenal -- and so was the whole album, by the way."

"Shame Shame Shame" (Rueben Fisher/ Kenyon Hopkins): "Smiley Lewis used to do it. Joe [Perry] brought that one in. It has a guitar line that the Stones and Keith Richards and everybody took, most notably Chuck Berry. He's famous for that guitar line. It's really uptempo."

"Eyesight to the Blind" (Sonny Boy Williamson): "Somebody else took his name, and so there were two Sonny Boy Williamsons. The first one ended up with a screwdriver in the back of his head. Rumor has it that the new Sonny Boy Williamson was the guy that did it. There's great mystique around all of this. But when I heard the lyrics to 'Eyesight to the Blind,' I thought, 'Oh my God, this is the song that I want to sing to my wife.' [He starts singing:] 'You're talking 'bout your woman, I wish to God, man, that you could see mine. . . . Every time my little girl starts lovin', she brings eyesight to the blind.' And there's harmonica all over it. I thought, 'This is the perfect song.' "

"Baby Please Don't Go" (Big Joe Williams): "We first did this in Joe's basement, then we started playing it on our last tour. Afterward, we came back and we recut 'Baby Please Don't Go.' . . . We re-did it so Joe could really kick [butt]. It is what it is. Listen to it. It's insane."

"Never Loved a Girl" (Ronnie Shannon): "Aretha Franklin did that under a different title. It was just something that I pulled out. I was fooling around with it and thought I could do it. I just turned [the gender] around."

"Back Back Train" (traditional): "It was first performed by the Hunter's Chapel Singers, from Como, Miss. And Fred McDowell did it in 1966. That's the most popular version. And we have Tracy Bonham on it. She played with us when we first opened Mama Kin [the former club on Lansdowne Street]. She was on the bill that night."

"You Gotta Move" (Gary Davis/ Fred McDowell): "Mississippi Fred McDowell did it in 1964. We changed it around to a Bo Diddley beat. It just was a refreshing thing to do."

"The Grind" (Tyler/ Perry/Marti Frederiksen): "It was something we wrote in Hawaii during the 'Girls of Summer' writing sessions. It's just a little thing that came out. Joe started playing this typically authentic 1950s [riff] . . . then I wrote more lyrics and we changed the guitar line into something like early Aerosmith or AC/DC."

"I'm Ready" (Willie Dixon): "It was performed by Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters. It started with some guys rehearsing, and one of them came in early and was in the bathroom shaving. Another guy asked him, `Are you ready?' And the answer was, `I'm ready for you, I hope you're ready for me!' Willie [Dixon] wrote it down as a song and that was that."

"Temperature" (Little Walter): "I sang it into a bullet mike -- it's a harmonica mike and it goes through a little amp -- and I just sang the [hell] out of it. It's kind of like how I would sing if I was still doing clubs and wasn't fortunate enough to have a schedule of day on, day off. If I was doing the beer circuit, I'd probably still be doing drugs and smoking and drinking. I kind of pretend in my own little world that that's how my voice would sound like."

"Stop Messin' Around" (Clifford Adams, Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac): "It was just an excuse to get Joe to sing on the record. I argued with him and he didn't want to do it. I said, 'Well, you've done the song for so many years that it has to go on the record.' He wanted to use a live version from several tours ago, but I said, 'No, man.' So we re-did it."

"Jesus Is on the Mainline" (traditional, with lyrics by Fred McDowell): "It was recorded in my barn called the Bryer Patch with Tracy [Bonham] singing and with Joe playing lap steel . . . and [Aerosmith bassist] Tom [Hamilton] and [drummer] Joey [Kramer] singing and my daughter Chelsea singing, too."

STEVE MORSE
Globe Newspaper Company.
03-31-04 10:07 AM
Nellcote This disc is the real deal. Forget the syrup ballads of their past, if you dig them, which I'm not humble about, this disc rocks as hard as those they put out from the mid 70's. They've got Jack Douglas back as producer, who produced those mid 70's classics. I know I'm up for a raft of crap stating this, however, WTF, it's blues music done by a band whom sang this type of music 30 yrs ago, and is coming out with a fresh take on it now. Yeah, the Stones did it 40 yrs ago, and people would be bowing down to The Stones had they come out with a disc along these lines now.
Am I a "home band" flag waver because they played back at my high school 30 yrs ago, and some of the band grew up in towns surrounding mine? Hell Yes, and damn proud of it!

PS: Joey, get the Keg party ready! I am closing in on
1000 posts!
[Edited by Nellcote]
03-31-04 10:20 AM
nankerphelge I'm gonna pick it up!

Aerosmith sure gets a bad rap as Stones wannabes and power ballad pukes -- but back when they started they coulda been another Huey Lewis or something truly wretched. But they weren't -- they were a straight ahead blues based rock band -- regardless of what they've done in the past 15 years, they had the right idea back then -- I'm looking forward to hearing them doing it right again!!
03-31-04 10:45 AM
Joey " PS: Joey, get the Keg party ready! I am closing in on
1000 posts! "

03-31-04 11:24 AM
jb Aerosmith has and always will be a Stones wannabe...

03-31-04 01:03 PM
Gazza I agree with you (for a change!) and I have to say I've never been much of a fan but I was in HMV today (buying a WHO DVD, Joey!) and I heard this CD blasting all over the shop and stayed and listened to it. Had no idea who it was until I asked, it sure didn't sound like Aerosmith. I was pleasantly surprised when told it was.

It sounded pretty impressive and far from just a tired re-tread of some dog-eared old songs. I've never bought anything by them in my life but I'll probably buy this.

I'll say somethin' for them..its great that a band whose albums regularly sell millions and who can fill stadiums can get back to their roots and be unafraid of making records like this, because I can't imagine it would appeal to the sort of people who bought "I Dont Wanna Miss A thing" and those other cross-over power ballads that have sold gazillions of copies.

The irony of all is that while most of us would love to see the Stones make a record in this style, if they did they'd probably be seen by some people as.....copying Aerosmith. Which would be the other way round from what it's been for the last 30 years..
03-31-04 01:08 PM
jb Aerosmith had no where else to go...the next Superbowl halftime performance isn't until January....I resent them "ripping" off another Stones inspired theme and particularly hate and despise their drummer, Joey Kramer(not Jewish) who once said something to the effect that they(Aerosmith) were much better musicians than the Stones. I wish only bad things upon them.
03-31-04 01:09 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
jb wrote:
Aerosmith has and always will be a Stones wannabe...

yeah,, they should post on a band related message board instead
03-31-04 01:13 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The irony of all is that while most of us would love to see the Stones make a record in this style, if they did they'd probably be seen by some people as.....copying Aerosmith. Which would be the other way round from what it's been for the last 30 years..

the irony for me is that this is more like the type of Stones album a lot of us have been wanting for a couple decades, and instead of saying "hey, this is cool, I enjoy this" they have to say - what the fuck is this, why are they ripping off the Stones. I don't think the album is stellar, even for Aerosmith I put it far behind Rocks and Pump - but if I dig the sound... what's wrong with it? even if the drummer did once say something that made him sound like an asshole
03-31-04 01:16 PM
jb Look at Tyler's 'Joan Rivers" like face lift...a fucking embarrassment!!! If you notice, the Stones have always distanced themselves from AS, despite Tyler and Perry 's infatuation with the band...
03-31-04 01:16 PM
Nellcote JB, you carry the Olympic torch of "hate" magnifciently!
Are you trekking across Europe this summer to Athens?
Oh right, I forgot, no planes for you.
Have you called in Al Franken's Air America yet, to press to be Vice President Elect Hillary's Florida Chair?
03-31-04 01:19 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
JB, you carry the Olympic torch of "hate" magnifciently!
Are you trekking across Europe this summer to Athens?
Oh right, I forgot, no planes for you.
Have you called in Al Franken's Air America yet, to press to be Vice President Elect Hillary's Florida Chair?

Why did you elect a republican governor? Teddy looks fit and trim ....
03-31-04 01:22 PM
Nellcote Because Mitt Romney had a better track record than Jane Swift, whom will go down in time as the luckiest person in Massachusetts politics. Teddy is just lucky, and needs a fashion consultant. His wife Vicki must be blind.
03-31-04 01:25 PM
jb Teddy has very nice hair for a man of his age...a "silver fox".
03-31-04 02:23 PM
Joey

Page: 1 2