ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

July 14, 1971
Villefranche sur mer, Villa Nellcote, FRANCE
Basement of Keith Richards' house
By Dominique Tarlé

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steve Earle on TV Saturday (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-25-04 11:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The DVD of "Just An American Boy," was released by Artemis Records on February 10, 2004. Just An American Boy chronicles the outspoken Earle's life on the road during the 2002 touring cycle for his last record Jerusalem and the controversy surrounding his song "John Walker's Blues".
It also includes performance of eighteen of Earle's best known songs. The film, directed by Amos Poe, has been praised by Rolling Stone and Billboard Magazine. The DVD includes the video for "Jerusalem."

Tune in Saturday, March 27 @ 6PM ET (3PM PT) for the world television premiere of the "Just An American Boy" documentary on Cable/Satellite Network LinkTV.Link TV's channel coordinates are DIRECTV ch. 375 and Dish
Network ch. 9410. Please check the LinkTV.org program guide
(LinkTV is also running a contest in conjunction with the documentary's premier - To win one of 20 "Just an American Boy" CDs, simply send an e-mail to [email protected] telling why you like Steve Earle and his music. If your message is one of the best 20 responses, we'll send you a CD. It's as simple as that! Please write "Steve Earle CD" in the subject line and include your mailing address and phone number.
(From Steve Earle online newsletter)
03-26-04 01:04 AM
Gibbons Steve's bad, but his politics, sheesh.
03-26-04 12:26 PM
Martha Thanks for posting a HEADS Up for this broadcast 10K. I can get it on Dish! Cool! Steve just performed at a small club in Nelsonville, OH on Wednesday night. My sponsor and her hubby ( who are friends of Bob Dylan's tour manager ) caught it, but I haven't chatted with them to hear how the show went. I was unable to make it down and was sorry to have missed it.
03-27-04 02:20 PM
Saint Sway I'm a big Steve Earle fan.

Earle makes the kind of music that Gram Parsons & Keith would of made together if they had formed a band

I saw his guitarist - Eric "Roscoe" Amble's band - the Roscoe Trio last night at a bar in NYC. They were great. Did a nice cover of Beatles I Want To Tell You
03-28-04 03:43 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Gibbons wrote:
Steve's bad, but his politics, sheesh.

Yeah, being against the death penalty - like most of the civilized world - that's just plain crazy. Or is this still about him having the audacity to write a song from the POV of John Walker Lindh? Christ, get OVER it. It didn't glorify him, it just talked about him. That's what songwriters do, and what people in a democracy do. They talk about stuff.

Steve's one of my personal heroes, not only because he rocks, but because he speaks his mind. For instance, in "American Boy" which I just saw) he says he's against the death penalty because the government is supposed to be HIM and he doesn't think HE has the right to kill people - therefore, the government should not kill people either. Pretty simple, and as I said, most of the civilized world agrees. Under our current regime, however, I guess the thinking is that we need to kill everyone before they kill us.

sidebar: Does Bush hold the record for most people executed during his run as Governor of Texas? I believe he does. To be completely fair, the number of Americans Bush killed as Governor should be added to the number of Americans he's killed in Iraq. I wanna give credit where credit is due.

Here's a good example of Steve's "politics" -

Jerusalem
(Steve Earle)

I woke up this mornin' and none of the news was good
And death machines were rumblin' 'cross the ground where Jesus stood
And the man on my TV told me that it had always been that way
And there was nothin' anyone could do or say

And I almost listened to him
Yeah, I almost lost my mind
Then I regained my senses again
And looked into my heart to find

That I believe that one fine day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem

Well maybe I'm only dreamin' and maybe I'm just a fool
But I don't remember learnin' how to hate in Sunday school
But somewhere along the way I strayed and I never looked back again
But I still find some comfort now and then

Then the storm comes rumblin' in
And I can't lay me down
And the drums are drummin' again
And I can't stand the sound

But I believe there'll come a day when the lion and the lamb
Will lie down in peace together in Jerusalem

And there'll be no barricades then
There'll be no wire or walls
And we can wash all this blood from our hands
And all this hatred from our souls

And I believe that on that day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem

sheesh!
03-28-04 04:45 PM
Martha FPM....I'm soooooooooo glad I voted for Hypno Monkey!

Taped the Earle gig and will watch it tonight!

xxxooo and peace to all,
Martha
03-28-04 04:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Peace in the Middle East???

Not as long as the international "War Indusrty" is making billions.

And they are...and from the looks of it...will continue into the distant future.

I didn't understand the huh-bub about John Walker's Blues.

If any of the talking heads that bashed it had bothered to listen to the song...or even just read the lyric...it's plain that Steve was not lionizing the guy. The intent of the song was not to convert us all into muslims. Steve never suggested that what John Walker Lindh did was right or proper. He was simply telling a story. IMO, it's an interesting story, and it should be told.

The funny thing is that the song isn't anywhere near Steve's best. But I'm sure that all the fury that it stirred on talk radio sold a pile more copies.
03-29-04 06:35 AM
F505 Steve is (nearly) the best....
03-29-04 09:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Apr 1 2004 MELBOURNE (AU) The Prince Bandroom
Apr 2 2004 MELBOURNE (AU) The Prince Bandroom
Apr 3 2004 ADELAIDE (AU) Gov. Hindmarsh
Apr 7 2004 SYDNEY (AU) The Metro
Apr 8 2004 REVESBY (AU) Revesby Workers Club
Apr 9 2004 BYRON BAY (AU) Bluesfest
Apr 11 2004 BYRON BAY (AU) Bluesfest
Apr 15 2004 CHRISTCHURCH (NZ) Civic Theatre
Apr 16 2004 WELLINGTON (NZ) Starlight Ballroom
Apr 17 2004 AUCKLAND (NZ) St. James Theatre
May 21 2004 Memphis TN (US) Atrageous
May 30 2004 NORTH ADAMS MA (US) Mass MOCA
Jun 22 2004 SAN DIEGO CA (US) Humphrey's Concerts By The Bay
Jun 23 2004 SARATOGA CA (US) The Mountain Winery
Jun 25 2004 RENO NV (US) Robert Z. Hawkins Amphitheater
Jun 26 2004 LAYTONVILLE CA (US) Kate Wolf Memorial Music Festival
Jun 28 2004 PORTLAND OR (US) Aladdin Theater
Jun 30 2004 Seattle WA (US) Woodland Park Zoo Amphitheatre
Jul 2 2004 JACKSONVILLE OR (US) Britt Pavilion
Jul 3 2004 QUINCY CA (US) High Sierra Music Festival
03-29-04 09:50 AM
F505 let him come to Europe!!
03-29-04 05:10 PM
Gazza he's just been here - well he was in England and Ireland anyway

I saw him do a solo acoustic show in Belfast a few weeks ago. Fantastic. he played a BAR the following night to a couple of hundred people.
03-29-04 05:18 PM
F505 sorry I missed him. Last time I saw him he played in Utrecht during the Jeruzalem tour more than a year ago.
Now looking forward to Patti Smith... Let her please come to Holland!!!! Her new cd must be in the stores soon....
03-29-04 05:25 PM
Gazza I think its out this week or last week actually. It's got great reviews here.

She played here too just under a year ago, just herself accompanied by Oliver Ray on guitar. Played a great 2 hour set (including "Jumpin Jack Flash") and did a nice and funny Q&A afterwards. A friend of mine videoed the show. She was very charming and even autographed my copy of "Land"
03-30-04 12:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels VIVA!!!!!!

I don't even agree with him politically on some stuff but the man has guts. No wonder Johnny Cash liked him. Put it this way, if there were more Steve Earles on this planet and a lot less George Bush around here, the planet would be alot better place.
03-30-04 02:42 PM
Sir Stonesalot Certainly be lots more guitars and lots less death.
03-30-04 02:59 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:00 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:07 PM
Joey

[Edited by Joey]
03-30-04 03:09 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:12 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:13 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:15 PM
Joey

Where's my ?!?!?!
03-30-04 03:17 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:20 PM
Joey

03-30-04 03:51 PM
Gazza Announce your engagement or get a room you two, for fucks sake!
03-30-04 03:52 PM
jb
03-30-04 03:53 PM
Joey
03-31-04 05:03 PM
Gazza
03-31-04 05:12 PM
Bloozehound
03-31-04 05:35 PM
F505 Who has invented those stupid "talking" smileys?
Page: 1 2