This is a message from Novogate:
Due to problems with the database we had to restore a backup. As such your recent topics are missing. We are sorry for the trouble.

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's happening again (we all feel it) Return to archive
02-28-02 01:36 PM
nankerphelge It first happened in the summer of 1981. I was working at a local pizza joint in my hometown in upstate New York. I was 18. The rumour of a tour was in the air and having been denied the chance to see them in '78, I was just chomping for information. Tattoo You was already out and Start Me Up dominated the airwaves, reaffirming the Stones as the World's Greatest after a limp Emotional Rescue.

The TV was on in the dark smoky bar, and I had swung through to get a couple of Genesee drafts from Earl the ultracool barkeep that kept us young "pizza boys" lubricated during those hot summer nights when the pizza ovens cranked the heat in the kitchen to up over 120 degrees.

As I got the beers from Earl, I noticed Mick sitting in the bleachers of some stadium wearing a black and white shirt that looked like a large intestine. He was by his lonesome wearing some knickers or something and the annoucer said the tour would begin in September in Philly.

I felt the tingle. A Spiderman-like feeling that I have had only five times since. Finally, I would stand at the alter of greatness. I remember just jumping straight up and down for half an hour. I looked like I had just won the World Series -- i could not contain my excitment.

Later in August, after shuffling off to college in Western New York, I would score 10 beautiful red tickets and "all my dreams would come true."

Then, the dark ages. Reading time and again in Circus and Rolling Stone and Creem that the Stones were thru. That Keith and Mick were split. The Stones had "run out of reasons to stay together."

Then, in 1989, I had been laid off from my job in Massachusetts. I was at home, I was unemployed, I was blue. No work to be found for a young, recent college grad. And while at sat at home, wondering what to do with myself, I listened to the radio announcer tell me that the Stones were patching it up and would hit the road in the fall.

There is was again. The tingle. On the back of my neck. I didn't hear that right -- it sounded like the Stones were touring again. And then the train pulled into New York and I heard them announce the Steel Wheels tour.

Poor mrs nankerphelge was on the scene then.

She had no idea when she talked my unemployed ass out of heading down to Washington Connecticut to apply for a job with tour.

She had no idea when we stayed up all nite for tickets in Leesburg, Virginia.

But soon she learned.

The best was '94. I was working at your U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, toiling away researching the patentability of important inventions, when the man on the radio announced that the Stones were going to hold a press conference.

And then it happened again. Tingle tingle.

I listened intently as the Stones boated into the New York harbor and annouced Voodoo Lounge. And it was opening in DC. More tingling. I remember that hot August nite at RFK.

Then, I was upstate in the Adirondak mountains in 1997. And I saw a copy of the New York Daily News with the Stones driving a red 1956 convertible Caddy. And I read the headline -- and it happened again in the mountains, not two hours from where it first happened in 1981.

Then, it happened in 1999 with an arena tour.

And now it has happened again. Only now, the radio doesn't announce it -- the internet does. And all my brothers and sisters of the boards get my heart a pumping. Fleabit Peanut Monkey made the tingle happen this time, announcing that IORR had posted an unofficial scehdule. He was right, IORR was the gospel not even 5 years ago -- and it still is.

I must get back to work now. I have much to do. But I am still tingling. And I am looking so forward to meeting so many more of you and having a truly wonderful year as we all tingle together.

Please take the rest of the day off.
02-28-02 02:21 PM
Maxlugar Your spidey sense is strong, Nanker.

I remember '81 when Mick was in the stands alone takling about the tour like it was yesterday.

I loved when someone asked him about warm-up bands and he named everyone from AC/DC to Led Zeppelin. As if to say "They are all opening acts compared to us!".

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

Dear Lord why did I pick these three months to dry out? WHY?!

02-28-02 02:29 PM
nankerphelge Your "dry out" is a natural defense mechanism. You brain knows that soon you will be on the move, nomadic, traveling from town to town. You will not sleep well. You will not eat well. You will be drinking entirely too much. Your lungs shall burn. So in preparation, your body is officially in cleanse mode. It is a good thing.

Oh Jane Skinner in on -- gotta go
02-28-02 02:47 PM
TomL
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It first happened in the summer of 1981. I was working at a local pizza joint in my hometown in upstate New York. I was 18. The rumour of a tour was in the air and having been denied the chance to see them in '78, I was just chomping for information. Tattoo You was already out and Start Me Up dominated the airwaves, reaffirming the Stones as the World's Greatest after a limp Emotional Rescue.

The TV was on in the dark smoky bar, and I had swung through to get a couple of Genesee drafts from Earl the ultracool barkeep that kept us young "pizza boys" lubricated during those hot summer nights when the pizza ovens cranked the heat in the kitchen to up over 120 degrees.

As I got the beers from Earl, I noticed Mick sitting in the bleachers of some stadium wearing a black and white shirt that looked like a large intestine. He was by his lonesome wearing some knickers or something and the annoucer said the tour would begin in September in Philly.

I felt the tingle. A Spiderman-like feeling that I have had only five times since. Finally, I would stand at the alter of greatness. I remember just jumping straight up and down for half an hour. I looked like I had just won the World Series -- i could not contain my excitment.

Later in August, after shuffling off to college in Western New York, I would score 10 beautiful red tickets and "all my dreams would come true."

Then, the dark ages. Reading time and again in Circus and Rolling Stone and Creem that the Stones were thru. That Keith and Mick were split. The Stones had "run out of reasons to stay together."

Then, in 1989, I had been laid off from my job in Massachusetts. I was at home, I was unemployed, I was blue. No work to be found for a young, recent college grad. And while at sat at home, wondering what to do with myself, I listened to the radio announcer tell me that the Stones were patching it up and would hit the road in the fall.

There is was again. The tingle. On the back of my neck. I didn't hear that right -- it sounded like the Stones were touring again. And then the train pulled into New York and I heard them announce the Steel Wheels tour.

Poor mrs nankerphelge was on the scene then.

She had no idea when she talked my unemployed ass out of heading down to Washington Connecticut to apply for a job with tour.

She had no idea when we stayed up all nite for tickets in Leesburg, Virginia.

But soon she learned.

The best was '94. I was working at your U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, toiling away researching the patentability of important inventions, when the man on the radio announced that the Stones were going to hold a press conference.

And then it happened again. Tingle tingle.

I listened intently as the Stones boated into the New York harbor and annouced Voodoo Lounge. And it was opening in DC. More tingling. I remember that hot August nite at RFK.

Then, I was upstate in the Adirondak mountains in 1997. And I saw a copy of the New York Daily News with the Stones driving a red 1956 convertible Caddy. And I read the headline -- and it happened again in the mountains, not two hours from where it first happened in 1981.

Then, it happened in 1999 with an arena tour.

And now it has happened again. Only now, the radio doesn't announce it -- the internet does. And all my brothers and sisters of the boards get my heart a pumping. Fleabit Peanut Monkey made the tingle happen this time, announcing that IORR had posted an unofficial scehdule. He was right, IORR was the gospel not even 5 years ago -- and it still is.

I must get back to work now. I have much to do. But I am still tingling. And I am looking so forward to meeting so many more of you and having a truly wonderful year as we all tingle together.

Please take the rest of the day off.

August1, 1994 my birthday, my ass was tingleing that day.
02-28-02 05:10 PM
Joey The wall was just warmed over Arthur !!!!!!

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJoey

J. Joeyfly

02-28-02 11:44 PM
Cardinal Ximinez OH MY GOD! TomL, sit down. Aug 1 is my birthday too...AND I celebrated at that show too! How about that! You and I invited 65,000 of our best pals, hired the best fuckin' band on the planet, and had ourselves one HELL of a birthday party!

I'll never forget looking wide eyed at FPM when we heard the opening notes of "Monkey Man". We started jumping up and down uncontrolled....yelling, "Oh my God, Monkey Man! They playing Monkey Man!" I forget who said it, but just before the goathead guy on stilts came on stage, either FPM or I said, "I can die a happy man now."

TomL...I'll prolly be at the DC show this year...we will toast our birthday show together...Whomever is older buys! HA!
03-01-02 08:45 AM
marko I hope it will be close to philly show(s),,so i could be
there too!
03-01-02 09:07 AM
TomL
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
OH MY GOD! TomL, sit down. Aug 1 is my birthday too...AND I celebrated at that show too! How about that! You and I invited 65,000 of our best pals, hired the best fuckin' band on the planet, and had ourselves one HELL of a birthday party!

I'll never forget looking wide eyed at FPM when we heard the opening notes of "Monkey Man". We started jumping up and down uncontrolled....yelling, "Oh my God, Monkey Man! They playing Monkey Man!" I forget who said it, but just before the goathead guy on stilts came on stage, either FPM or I said, "I can die a happy man now."

TomL...I'll prolly be at the DC show this year...we will toast our birthday show together...Whomever is older buys! HA!

Have to reply with a quote. The site for the last day has not been fully downloading. Don't know whats wrong. Monkey Man made me shiver too. That was a great show, and what a birthday treat. We will have to do that. Where will you be coming from? Maybe I can catch a show at your place. Are you coming in April for the get together? Don't know why I keep thinking they did Heartbreaker that show, not on any offical set list. Do you remember that or have I been dreaming all these years. Lets make it a point to get together. Talk to ya soon.

Hope I can make the Philly show, was passing through the other weekend and had a Pat's steak. was born in Philly and moved when I was 8. Keep me in mind for tickets.
[Edited by TomL]
03-01-02 02:02 PM
Cardinal Ximinez I really doubt that I'll make it down for the April confab. I won't say NO, but I wouldn't hold yer breath on it. I wanna save my comp/vacation time for the tour. We'll just have another fete! nanky can take us to the Daze Inn!

There will be plenty of info available on this board about Philly....I have a feeling we may be talking Glimmerfest!
03-01-02 02:25 PM
nankerphelge Yeah buddy
Those long hot lazy, Dazey Inn, days of summer!
That was some fine chiba that nite too!

03-01-02 07:46 PM
Mother baby Oh well,let's not celebrate mediocrity (sp?) too hard. The Stones actually need to pull a rabbit out of their hat.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.