This is a message from Novogate:
Due to problems with the database we had to restore a backup. As such your recent topics are missing. We are sorry for the trouble.

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Breaking News from SFJ - New Album ! Return to archive
02-25-02 01:58 AM
yellow1 "Plans for a double-CD greatest hits package spanning the Rolling Stones fourty year history is due out early Summer.

Material from the 1970's to present was reviewed by the Stones and company. However, various sources report that there will be no Rolling Stones box set this year. Sources say that Keith and Mick are together in Jamaca writing
new material. Along with new material and vintage outtakes there are plans for a "new" Stones album in time for the upcoming tour. Perhaps another "Tattoo You".

Rehearsals are said to take place this Summer in Toronto.

The 2002 tour is slated to kick-off in Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium, September 5th.

A special Rolling Stones fan essay contest is said to take place for tickets to a fans-only special club-gig!"

by Skippy

Wow !
Not sure I understand the beginning though. Is there going to be both a Double CD and a "new" album ?
The "new" album is really what I expected and IMHO the only way to give some "dignity" to the project. I couldn't believe that Mick would take the road behind a greatest hits cd, that's just no him !

So let's get started on a tracklist ! Here are a few ideas:

1) Make It Now - Great KR groove from the VL sessions
2) You Got It Made - Another very good Keith song from the VL sessions
3) Honest Man - Classic Mick rocker from VL
3) Ivy League - a very nice Mick melody from VL (he did use a bit in Lucky Day on GITD, so...
4) Zip Mouth Angel - VL too
5) Fiji Jim - 77/78
6) Gangster's Moll - 79 and 91
7) English Rose - Rotterdam 75
Not sure about tracks pre Tattoo You though because they must already have considered them at the time. It was mainly a Mick project though, so maybe Keith will have more input this time !

Wow this is exciting !
02-25-02 08:25 AM
lucasd I think a TATTOO YOU style album could be very good...especially if they include the great, unfinished and unreleased stuff from the VL sessions...and like they did on TATTOO, maybe they'll toss in two or three new songs written and recorded for the album....
02-25-02 01:57 PM
Gazza > However, various sources report that there will be no Rolling Stones box set this year. Sources say that Keith and Mick are together in Jamaca writing
new material. Along with new material and vintage outtakes there are plans for a "new" Stones album in time for the upcoming tour.

If thats the case,then all I can say is:

THANK FUCK!!!

Artistic & commercial common sense prevails,it seems. But they better get movin' if they're gonna have it out for September. The boxed set isnt necessary for the start of the tour - at the end of it would be just right. I'd like them to release one but give me a new album any day - and putting a new album out AFTER the tour makes no commercial sense at all... I bet Virgin wouldnt have been too pleased!

This flies in the face of everything we've been told in recent months - both from the Stones office and the band members themselves. I just hope its legit.
02-25-02 02:09 PM
Jaxx i'm up for some dynamite new material. i just hope its dynamite . a reworking of some previously unreleased vintage outtakes would certainly round it out. hurry up and get it done already! time's a-wastin'.
02-25-02 02:10 PM
twicks I agree, this is excellent news. Don't get me wrong, I love the tours, but I would ALWAYS prefer a new studio album.

A Stones concert is a great time that only lasts a few hours...A new Stones album can be enjoyed for a lifetime.
02-25-02 02:17 PM
Gazza Good news though it is..personally Id find it hard to believe that 5 years on from their last sessions of new Stones material (already easily the longest gap in their entire career without new material being cut)that between them Mick & Keith wouldnt have enough NEW compositions ready to put out a hot new album....especially Keith who hasnt released ANY solo material in that time (and who claims to NEVER have had writers block!) I'm sure Mick would have enough songs in the bag too that are suitable for a Stones release as opposed to his solo work!
02-25-02 02:19 PM
TomL New stuff. Can't wait. The rumors and specs increase.
02-25-02 02:23 PM
yellow1 yep let's hope it's legit, but Skippy generally has his ears very close to the ground... Bill German's page is less specific but does hint at the same plans.

Still not sure if they could release a "new Tattoo" and a double greatest hits at the same time. Both make sense, but probably not at the same time !

As for the box set, I'm with Mick when he says this stuff can come out when the band is no longer in activity. Most of the stuff (according to Karnbach's book which supposedly lists ALL the outtakes...) seems to have been leaked at this point anyway, except the SW and B2B sessions, but something tells me the "new tattoo" will use some of that material.

As for the news not being what was announced, I've already pointed to several Mick interviews (especially in the French paper Le Monde) where he did hint that while there wouldn't be anything entirely new, there would some kind of CD with new and recent unreleasd songs and that it would make a pretty good record.

From what he's always said, it never made sense to me that Mick would tour without "new" material in some form or another. I'm sure he was very proud that a couple of B2B songs were so successful during the last tour. I remember that he was upset after the VL tour that no VL song had really become a tour staple.

PS - I hope they put out "High or Low" so that Sheryl Crow can kick herself for snubbing Keith's proposed contribution to her forthcoming CD !
02-25-02 03:08 PM
KeepRigid I don't expect Tattoo 2 anymore- not if Mick and Keith have already started writing together. Sure, they've got a wealth of outtakes to choose from, but that only takes the pressure off and allows the ideas to flow.

And now that Mick's got the solo thing outta his system, this could be the best Mick + Keith collaboration in a very long time.

"PS - I hope they put out "High or Low" so that Sheryl Crow can kick herself for snubbing Keith's proposed contribution to her forthcoming CD !"

Sheryl still could've left it off at Keith's request- "Hold on, darling, we may use it yet!"
02-25-02 03:35 PM
CocaBuena Ok, but let's say Stones and or Virgin decide release a box with unofficial stuff. Who - between the guys - have the recordings? Mick? Keith? Charlie? I'm wondering if Mick keeps all Stones recordings or if will ask for our help.

It's really true Keith hates bootlegers ("Those motherfuckers are stealing our money!!!" )- and, on contrary, Mick love collect boots? I read this somewhere, don't remember if a reliable source...

02-25-02 03:43 PM
yellow1 My money goes on a "Tattoo You 2" with leftovers from SW, VL and B2B sessions and maybe 3 or 4 new songs.

I think it's going to be hard for them to come up with 12 new finished songs by the end of March. They would have to record that in April/May, mix it in June/July to put it out in September. They did that in 1989 and 1997 but it seems they had a head start over this year.

There are many great unreleased songs that it would be stupid to waste on a Box Set which won't be out for several years and that will be for fans only.
It's been said Keith vetoed the "Memory Motel" CD of 1999 because there were too many good songs to toss on a CD no one was going to listen to.

Actually Keith likes bootlegs, he's often been quotes as saying it was the "ultimate gauge of your popularity". Not sure about Mick.
02-25-02 03:48 PM
twicks If the news is true, I'm glad Mick is getting right back on the horse and making new music, after the drubbing Goddess received. (Hey, I dug it.) It would have been the easiest thing in the world to tour behind the Greatest Hits; putting new songs in the set takes balls.
02-25-02 04:59 PM
KeepRigid "I think it's going to be hard for them to come up with 12 new finished songs by the end of March. They would have to record that in April/May, mix it in June/July to put it out in September. They did that in 1989 and 1997 but it seems they had a head start over this year."

Outtakes from DW through B2B...as well as anything Keith has amassed over the last 5 years...I'd say that's more of a head start than they've had in years. And what a nice position to be in when you sit down to write!

All I'm saying is that the pressure is largely off, and the fact that they're actually writing new material is a good indicator that this won't simply be an album of leftovers.

If the songs are there, and the ideas are there, they're not gonna need until the end of March. I don't expect them to not use ANY of the outtakes. But if they want, I'm sure they could make an album with anywhere from 50-75% new material without the luxury of several months in a studio.
02-25-02 05:57 PM
Gazza >Ok, but let's say Stones and or Virgin decide release a box with unofficial stuff. Who - between the guys - have the recordings? Mick? Keith? Charlie? I'm wondering if Mick keeps all Stones recordings or if will ask for our help.

They have LOTS more than whats circulated amongst collectors and also they have the masters of those recordings...the bootleggers dont. All we have of most songs is maybe one or two versions for the most part - many of them unfinished,in imperfect quality and a few generations removed from the masters or rough takes which are unusable and unreleasable....the Stones themselves would have the most "finished" versions. All the bootleggers/collectors have is what has been leaked or stolen,dont forget. A lot of people seem to presume THOSE are the versions that would most likely appear on a boxed set...its probably not the case. I doubt theyd need to raid the bootleggers sources for too much material!

As the Stones have recorded a lot of material at their own studios (ie the RSM) theyd probably have all those recordings. Where theyve recorded at studios owned by their record company at the time (ie Pathe-Marconi in Paris which is an EMI Studio),maybe the record company might have more of them..I'm not quite sure,but I'd imagine the Stones have possession of much of whats releaseable.

If youve seen the "Being Mick" TV special,theres a bit where hes looking through several boxes of master recordings from old studio sessions which are being chosen.remixed for future release. Apart from the rear view of Kate Winslet in that tight dress, it was the one part of the show that made my mouth water the most.

02-25-02 06:03 PM
yellow1 who knows...
What does work in favor of "Tattoo You 2" is that they'd already prepared the SW to B2B outtakes for release in 1999 for the 1999 "Memory Motel" project and that Mick was already working on them when he talked to "Le Monde" in November. I'm sure they're pretty much ready to be released right away !

Now that you mention DW, I'm not sure what they could use from the DW period, "You're Too Much" (tried that again for VL and B2B), "Strictly Memphis". Stuff like "Crushed Pearl", "Deep Love", etc...are nice to hear as outtakes but are probably not worthy of a release to the general public !
02-25-02 06:20 PM
KeepRigid "Now that you mention DW, I'm not sure what they could use from the DW period, "You're Too Much" (tried that again for VL and B2B), "Strictly Memphis". Stuff like "Crushed Pearl", "Deep Love", etc...are nice to hear as outtakes but are probably not worthy of a release to the general public!"

I'd like to see You're Too Much and possibly What Am I Gonna Do?...could add quite a soulful touch. But yeah, anything they salvaged would definitely have to be finished and redone with less reverb! I mention it mainly for You're Too Much- hope they retain those great backing vocals!

On this topic, does anyone have a complete list of all the rumoured outtakes from DW through B2B?
02-25-02 07:15 PM
yellow1 well you could check out my site "Unreleased Tracks",
http://juiced.hypermart.net
It needs some updating, but there hasn't really been anything new that surfaced apart from the DW outtakes that came out last year and were recently copied on VGP's "High Temperature", nothing of great interest though, apart from an early version of "One Hit" called "You don't need nobody but me" with a horrendous Mick Jagger solo !
I think OBR used that tape as a source for "Loving You" when they released "Mean Lean Hits" back in '96.
02-25-02 10:40 PM
KeepRigid Thanks yellow. I've actually checked your site out before...hafta bookmark it this time! Great resource.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.