ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

1980 by Bob Gruen - Thanks Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS< /a>]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: groups who faked a farewell tour Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-02-03 09:13 PM
wkoetke Hi all:

I was just reading on iorr how Ron Wood is planning on touring with Rod Stewart next year. My first thought was, how cool - I'd go to that!

My second thought was: Rod Stewart is yet another artist who has been on at least one (probably more) OFFICIAL farewell tour, and yet toured subsequently after said tour. By "official" I mean that they actually promoted the tour as their "last tour". Many of my non-Stones friends are surprised when I proudly announce to them that the Stones have NEVER EVER done a "farewell" tour or a "last" tour, that it was always the media that predicted it would be their last, and have done so since 1981.

I just think it's lame as hell to announce something as your last tour. Just shameless promotion, esp. if you don't mean it.

So I was thinking, what other groups have done this? The obvious guilty parties are:

Rod Stewart

Billy Joel (especially apalling because he actually denounced pop/rock music in general, claimed he was to become a classical musician, then went on at least three rock tours since)

The Who (extra lame points for actually committing to it in an album title: "Who's Last")

Eric Clapton (who might get away with it because I recall he said no more "big world tours", not no tours at all)

Kiss (on a post-farewell-tour, if I'm not mistaken)

Elton John (he actually announced his intention to quit touring in 1976, so he might be the champion)

Am I missing anyone?

Yeah, lame thread topic perhaps, but I'm a little bored : )

Walt
04-02-03 11:42 PM
Child of the Moon David Bowie specifically told the audience at a 1973 show that it was his last.

I think Mr. B wins, by default.
04-02-03 11:45 PM
Dan >The Who (extra lame points for actually committing to it in an album title: "Who's Last")

I am sure they meant it at the time. I think they recognized that nostalgia is more of a cash cow than being "relevant" as a band. They still haven't recorded an album since "Its Hard." They just milk the hits every few years for however many millions they can get for them.

>Eric Clapton

Cream's 1968 tour was billed as a farewell and with the exception of a few songs at a Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame show, they still havent toured or recorded together.

>Am I missing anyone?

Ozzy Osbourne. I remember going to the "farewell" show at the Pacific Amphitheatre and afterward a big sign lighting up behind the stage that said "I'll be back," and my first, and very vocal, reaction was "I just paid 25 bucks for a ticket that said farewell show, you better not come back!" And now Ozzy tours more now than he did then and $25 barely gets you in the parking lot.

I guess now I will mention that the Ramones Farewell show on 8/6/96 was in fact the last show they ever performed. Joey, Dee Dee, Marky, and even CJ did many shows but Johnny was officially retired and the band never performed as a unit again.

04-03-03 12:29 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
David Bowie specifically told the audience at a 1973 show that it was his last.

I think Mr. B wins, by default.

Bowie told the audience that that show was the last appearance of ZIGGY STARDUST,(the character), not Bowie himself.
04-03-03 01:06 AM
Highwire Rob Here's one: The Doobie Brothers ("Farewell Tour" back in 1982) But their re-touring has raised a lot for charities and veterans causes: http://www.delafont.com/music_acts/...ie-Brothers.htm

The ultimate in my opinion: THE EAGLES

But I guess they won't technically be a "Farewell Tour" re-grouping until the next outing?

Shameful promotion: "When Hell Freezes Over" Tour

...that's how Glen Fry and Don Henley had vehemently expressed whether they'd ever perform together again.

Looks like Hell is likely to "Freeze Over" more than once for some Big Time $$$$.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
04-03-03 03:17 AM
Zack The Kinks: Ray Davies announced his retirement from the stage in 1973.

Probably wanted to go hang out with Bowie.
04-03-03 11:20 AM
egon tina turner
04-03-03 11:58 AM
steel driving hammer The Eagles.

I can say I really hate just about all their songs.

But Fleetwood Mack I like especially Tusk.
04-03-03 12:02 PM
egon
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
The Eagles.

I can say I really hate all their songs.

amen to THAT
04-03-03 12:16 PM
jb The Beatles were not even capable of touring.....they are by far the most overrated band of all time....If one seriously listens to their music, all but a handful of songs are nothing more than pop melodies no different than the likes of the BSB or En Sync..........The Eagles are a close second....their popularity to this day enrages me....
04-03-03 12:23 PM
Joey The only reason why " THE WHO " came back in 1989 , 2000 , and 2002 was to help out their Bass Guitarist John Entwistle who was facing bankruptcy in each instance .

Thank God they came back because those tours were great !

Pete is currently writing songs for a new album ......................I hope and pray they tour the states again in 2004 -- Europe too !

Giddy Joe !

04-03-03 12:24 PM
steel driving hammer jb, I think your correct sir esq.

What if there was no such thing as the Beatles?

How good it would be.

Only Stones, thats all there ever was and shall be.

In my book that is...

04-03-03 01:08 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! jb, that's about a lot of fucking nonsense! If your definition of overrated is The Beatles, then you opinion on anything is absurd!
04-03-03 01:13 PM
Nasty Habits Doesn't Mick say something about it being their last show ever during that performance in Hawaii from 1966?

04-03-03 01:32 PM
RubyFriday Hey Nasty

Do you know from when on Chess used the orange/light blue label ?
Must be around 1970,I have here a Chuck Berry -Greatest Hits Reissue Chess 1485,stereo and try to get out the exact year of edition.Maybe you know a good web site ?
04-03-03 01:33 PM
jb I am sorry that you think my opinions on all topics are absurd. Admittedly, many of my posts are inane, but as far as my opinion on the Beatles, this comes from the heart. I know that a majority of people, apparently including you, have always preferred the Beatles to the Stones. Nonetheless, I'll happily be in the minority to my dying day as I have no doubt that the Stones are the greatest rockers/entertainers the world shall ever know. The Beatles may win the popularity contest, but any discernible ears can tell the difference between the Beatles pop oriented songs compared to the monumental rock-n-roll the Stones have bestowed upon mankind.....
[Edited by jb]
04-03-03 01:39 PM
Moonisup yep

and I will qoute now one of my best Cyberfriends,

"the Fag four"
04-03-03 01:45 PM
jb Thanks Rik.....long time no speak?
04-03-03 01:57 PM
Moonisup a bit busy lately, and I haven't seen you posting here, that much, nor in the chat!!
04-03-03 01:58 PM
jb Me too....trying to fool around a little and make some $$$
04-03-03 02:01 PM
Moonisup "to fool around"

I hoped it worked out!!
04-03-03 02:19 PM
egon still jb, the beatles did a good job with THEIR farewell tour; they did it long before they actually broke up.
so when they did it was swift, cos they'd already done the "formalities".

gotta give m that!

04-03-03 02:24 PM
steel driving hammer The Fag Four! LOL.

04-03-03 02:27 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:
Hey Nasty

Do you know from when on Chess used the orange/light blue label ?
Must be around 1970,I have here a Chuck Berry -Greatest Hits Reissue Chess 1485,stereo and try to get out the exact year of edition.Maybe you know a good web site ?

My guess is that those orange labels started showing up around a little later than you propose -- in the early 70s for sure but not '70 per se. I checked in goldmine and that confirms my suspicions. Goldmine says '72 but Goldmine is not always 100% accurate. So I'd say your Chuck Berry issue is early 70s, but not 60s. According to Goldmine the orange Chess label was used from 1972-1977. An ugly piece of business it is, too! Give me blue with silver boxes any day!

04-03-03 02:27 PM
Moonisup the last time the fag four toured was in 1966, and that was just as the stones, live beatles would be a drag (i think)it's easy listening
04-03-03 02:36 PM
RubyFriday Nasty,I myself bought in 72 some Berry reissues with that label,so I thought they were in use a little longer.I will date it 1972.Btw found sunday a nice copy of Hapshash & The Coloured Coat - Western Flier at a flea market - already sold .Thanks a lot for your help.
04-03-03 02:45 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
the last time the fag four toured was in 1966, and that was just as the stones, live beatles would be a drag (i think)it's easy listening

I wouldn't go as far as "easy listening." But I will admit that, after Beatlemania hit, the Beatles were just not good live performers. Their playing was almost always very sloppy and lackluster. But before all of that, back in the Hamburg days, they were truly a sight to behold. They rocked the asses off everyone in attendance, and often gave the Stones a run for their money, as far as attitude was concerned. Lennon stumbled on-stage with a toilet seat around his neck and his pants down to the ground, and practically told the German crowd they were a bunch of Nazis. Macca would often drop his instrument and just start singing and screaming down on the floor. Hell, they sometimes even SOUNDED like the Stones.

They used to be a punk band, y'know. I think that's why the Clash said what they did in "1977": "No Elvis, Beatles, or the Rolling Stones in 1977!!!" They were afraid of ending up like the Beatles. Of course, the Stones never had to worry about it, because they stayed true to their punk roots.
04-03-03 02:53 PM
KeepRigid Nothing can beat the absurdity of naming a tour:

FAREWELL 1
04-03-03 02:55 PM
Moonisup well the stones did never really change untill the SW tour
04-03-03 03:10 PM
Gazza Mick's "last show ever" comment onstage in Honolulu'66 was obviously a joke - you can tell it in his voice that he's just talking off the top of his head. Mind you, Charlie Watts said in more than one interview during the 1999 leg of the Bridges tour that it would be the last one.

Elton John announced about 5 years ago that his current UK Tour would be his last. He toured the UK as recently as last December

I'm not sure about Tina Turner - the only time I recall her saying she wasnt touring anymore was on her LAST tour,and from what I've seen she's kept to her word.

The Who and The Eagles both take the cake though... especially the latter with the 'hell will freeze over' disclaimer.

The Band supposedly quit after "The Last Waltz" in 1976 and Scorsese made a classic film of the occasion but they reformed in the late 1980's (minus Robbie Robertson) and toured semi-regularly until Rick Danko died a couple of years ago.

Bowie didnt retire in 1973. he retired the Spiders from Mars. his onstage comment clearly states its the "last show WE'LL ever do", which apparently was news to the band. However, he HAS announced farewell tours for his old SONGS before! The "Sound And Vision" tour in 1990 was supposed to mark the end of that particular chapter of his career. A few years later, he was playing them again.

then again, when some celebrity in any field of entertainment or sport makes some kind of return from oblivion,someone always trots out that age-old expression that has now become a cliche in the English language that they have had "more comebacks than Frank Sinatra"

Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST