ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

1980 by Bob Gruen - Thanks Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS< /a>]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1971 UK Tour (Worst with Taylor?) Return to archive
04-02-03 10:04 AM
Honky Tonk Man I have read that Bill Wyman considers this to be a poor tour. I know that some shows from this tour don't exist on bootleg and i would of thought that most only have "Live At Leeds" to go by.

I often wonder why alot love this show sao much. Is it because its a great soundboard recording or because its actually just a great performance from the Stones? While its a nice boot and i listen to it alot, i do feel that its ovverated and compared to shows like MSG 72 and Perth 73 (my two favourite Taylor shows) it isn't reallt ALL that.

Whats everyone else think?

Alex
04-02-03 10:17 AM
jb When was Leed Lungs....70 or 71?
04-02-03 10:18 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
When was Leed Lungs....70 or 71?

13 March 1971
04-02-03 10:39 AM
steel driving hammer 1971 UK Tour (Worst with Taylor?)

Mmm, good point, prolly yes.

Even though the setlest changed alot in 71, it was still Taylors worst.

Still that tour kicked ass.
04-02-03 10:50 AM
Maxlugar Discussing the worst tour with Mick Taylor is like discussing which precious gem is the worst.

Doesn't make sense.

04-02-03 10:58 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Discussing the worst tour with Mick Taylor is like discussing which precious gem is the worst.

Doesn't make sense.

LOL, your right.

But inturn, some precious gems have differnet precious qualities.

Like I'd perfer Jade over Turquoise (sp)
04-02-03 12:05 PM
jb I've yet to hear a bad boot with the great Mick Taylor and truly doubt one even exists...The man was the driving force behind the greatest rock-n-roll band to ever perform during the 69-73 period....unequaled greatness that has gotten even better with time.....
04-02-03 12:14 PM
Child of the Moon I've heard the Leeds boot from '71, and I think most of it is rather excellent, especially stuff like Dead Flowers. I've also seen the Marquee video from just after the tour ended, and the Stones sound more like a loose jam band than anything else. Live with Me and Satisfaction start off as almost unrecognizeable. For those who have heard more from this tour, which is more representative of the live Stones in '71: the jammed-out Marquee set, or the comparatively tight Leeds stuff?
04-02-03 12:19 PM
jb The Marquee performance is quite interesting given Keith looks 1/2 dead and asleep....The video i have opens with LWM and I agree, dead Flowers is great....MT was seemingly even more shy than usual.
04-02-03 12:25 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
For those who have heard more from this tour, which is more representative of the live Stones in '71: the jammed-out Marquee set, or the comparatively tight Leeds stuff?

Leeds and the Marquee are the only 2 complete shows from 1971 that are in circulation - the Marquee, being video. The 2nd shows from Newcastle and London have some songs in circulation, but not the complete show. Point being, with not much in circulation, it's difficult to say unless you were at those shows.

See Gazza's setlist page from 1971 for more details!

http://www.albec.net.mx/personales/rocksoff/1971.htm
04-02-03 12:58 PM
littleredrooster Does anyone know if a recording exists from Newcastle 1971?

According to Wyman's new book the Stones did CYHMK live at that show with Mick Taylor.

I'd love to hear it if a recording exists!
04-02-03 03:53 PM
Child of the Moon That Marquee video is definitely interesting. Bobby Keys seems to be the big star of that one, after Jagger. Keith, despite looking like he woke up two minutes before the show started, still looks tremedously cool. Doesn't he have the clearbody Ampeg Dan Armstrong guitar?

The only thing that really bothers me about that video is the freaked-out camera work. For fuck's sake, who was operating that thing? "Hey, let's zoom in and out like crazy and make everyone watching feel really queasy!" I hope he was shot.

I wonder if it works better if you just listen to the music, rather than watching the painfully-shot film? Probably not. It needs to be both.
04-02-03 05:17 PM
Honky Tonk Man The camera work is very shoddy for sure. It was supposed to be shown on BBC, but the Stones scrapped it because they felt their performance wasn't too good, just like how the scrapped Rock N Roll Circus in 1968

Alex
04-02-03 05:58 PM
Gazza theres a couple of songs available from one of the Newcastle shows in appalling quality, also theres a recording of a show in Coventry as well as those mentioned earlier (Leeds, London Roundhouse,Marquee etc)

There ARE actually some errors in Bill's book (believe it or not) regarding setlists - he mentions for example that they played "Johnny B Goode" on the '72 tour,which isnt the case

I personally have my doubts that CYHMK was played on that tour. As far as I'm concerned, it was debuted last August at the Palais Royale.
04-02-03 06:47 PM
Child of the Moon As great a memory as Wyman has, it is hard to believe some of the songs he said they played. For example, for the '78 tour, he mentions the band playing Memory Motel, Some Girls, Johnny B Goode, Get Off Of My Cloud, and IORR. As far as I know, they didn't play any of those songs in '78. He also butchers the '82 regular setlist pretty badly. And riddle me this: Did the Stones really play Wild Horses in '71? He says they did it in Newcastle, but I've always thought it was debuted in '75, seeing as how the '75 versions do seem a bit experimental and tentative sounding.
04-02-03 08:00 PM
doo doo doo Dude I weep at the thought of all those wonderful Taylor era songs that we'll never get to hear live with MT himself...most of Sticky Fingers, all of IORR. Oh, the horror...

04-03-03 06:38 AM
Mathijs >Leeds and the Marquee are the only 2 complete shows from >1971 that are in circulation - the Marquee, being video. >The 2nd shows from Newcastle and London have some songs in >circulation, but not the complete show. Point being, with ?>not much in circulation, it's difficult to say unless you >were at those shows.

This is not true. First, The Leeds show as broadcasted isn�t complete, it misses Jumping Jack Flash and Live With Me. Second, an audience tape of Coventry (March 6, 1971) is available on �Farewell Tour Coventry� by VGP. This show is far better than both the Leeds and London shows.

>For those who have heard more from this tour, which is >more representative of the live Stones in '71: the jammed->out Marquee set, or the comparatively tight Leeds stuff?

The Marquee shows weren�t actually �real� shows: the first show was taped with invited guest (friends and family of the Stones), the second show was taped without an audience. To me, the Marquee shows have always been among the very worst ever Stones performances. Keith was completely spaced out (he came hours to late, had a fight with the owner of the Marquee and hit him with his guitar, crashed out on stage after the show), Charlie is missing every beat, the sound is wrong, and Taylor is bored. Leeds is a far better show, but personally I never liked the sound of it, it�s just too clean and nice, and most songs just seem to miss the power and drive. If you want to hear a true 1971 show, I think the Coventry show is a far better option.

>The camera work is very shoddy for sure. It was supposed >to be shown on BBC, but the Stones scrapped it because >they felt their performance wasn't too good, just like how >the scrapped Rock N Roll Circus in 1968

Well, the camera movements are just typically 70�s: emphasis is on Jagger, and zooming was considered very hip at the time� Also, a compilation of the Marquee shows have been broadcasted various times during the 70�s and 80�s, and the show was also shown on European television.

>Did the Stones really play Wild Horses in '71? He says >they did it in Newcastle, but I've always thought it was >debuted in '75, seeing as how the '75 versions do seem a >it experimental and tentative sounding.

Yes they did. A �Rolling Stone� reporter travelled with the Stones to the Newcastle gigs, and he describes Wild Horses and Sympathy for The Devil being played (the reporter doesn�t mention Can�t You Hear Me Rocking!). Jagger later tells the reporter that the audience reacted very lame to Wild Horses, and Jagger felt like �a fool� on stage, so they decided to drop Wild Horses.

Mathijs
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review

URL: http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/
E-Mail: [email protected]

Bootlegs for Sale
The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------
04-03-03 07:30 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Keith, despite looking like he woke up two minutes before the show started, still looks tremedously cool.

i'm citing from memory from Norman whose book is only average but the story he told of that gig (the marquee)was that k. didn't really want to do it because the place was still run by one H.Pendleton who'd refused them gigs way way back in the early days... anyway, apparently he's lying barefoot on his couch in cheyne walk, relaxing as it were, gets into the bentley drives around to the marquee (just minutes away), parks on the double yellow line right out the front and goes into play the gig

again from memory, i recall an i/view with keith where he says he swung his guitar at the said P.'s head at the same show

if there is a viseo checj out the feet...
04-03-03 11:12 AM
Child of the Moon I do remember that whole story about Pendleton. I know there was a big altercation about whether or not the huge "Marquee" sign behind the stage would be taken down for the Stones' set. It stayed up, as I recall, and Keith took a swing at Harold with his git-tar.
04-03-03 11:21 AM
jb The 73 Essen, Germany performances are equal to or better than Brussels IMO...same for the Hamberg shows....SFM, DWMD, HB, YCAGWYW(with great keith bask up vocals) are truly inspiring performances....and least I forget Gimme Shelter the way it is supposed to sound....not the Lisa Fisher 89-2003 version!
[Edited by jb]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST