ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

1980 by Bob Gruen - Thanks Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS< /a>]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" Return to archive
04-01-03 01:14 AM
FPM C10 I just saw the tail end of Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" by NIN.

It might be the most powerful thing I've ever seen.

SS told me about it the last time he was down at my place, but I didn't get a chance to see it till just now.

HOLY SHIT.

The country station followed it up with Shania Twain's "Up". I guess they were going for the complete opposite in everything - male/female, deeply depressing/mindlessly giddy, timeless/vacuous, great/awful.

Has anyone else seen this AMAZING video?

Johnny Cash is GOD.
04-01-03 01:31 AM
AnitaX It's an incredible piece of work. Brought up emotions I'm not sure I even have the names for. I haven't seen pix of JC lately and I was shocked by his fragility.

you can download the video here:

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/cash_johnny/artist.jhtml

Lens Recap: The Story Behind Johnny Cash's 'Hurt'

Despite clip's dark imagery, director Mark Romanek views it as celebration of life.

by Gil Kaufman
Many music videos tend to be about escape and illusion � the illusion of fame, wealth, sex, glamour and fantasy. The video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt" isn't about any of those things. It deals with a theme not so common in music videos: reality.

In the short history of music videos, few have had the emotional heft and visual impact of the clip shot by director Mark Romanek in the Tennessee home of the ailing country legend.

"This [concept] is completely and utterly alien to what videos are supposed to be," Romanek said. "Videos are supposed to be eye candy � hip and cool and all about youth and energy. This one is about someone [moving] toward the twilight of his career, this powerful, legendary figure who is dealing with issues and emotions you're not used to encountering in videos."

The video for the cover of the Nine Inch Nails ballad from last year's American Recordings IV: The Man Comes Around features a morose-looking Cash singing the lines "What have I become, my sweetest friend?/ Everyone I know goes away in the end," before fatalistically promising to leave behind his "empire of dirt."

A montage of moving, dimly lit images of a weathered Cash playing piano and guitar in his memorabilia-stuffed home is mixed with glimpses of the flood-damaged House of Cash museum and archival footage of the country legend as a young man. Romanek, who has directed videos for Madonna, Beck and Audioslave, as well as last year's film "One Hour Photo," said he made the clip with no commercial expectations or calculations, fully expecting that it would not be shown on major video outlets.

"I begged [the album's producer] Rick Rubin to let me shoot something to that track," said Romanek, who heard the song several months before the album was released and fell in love with its stark sound.

After several attempts to convince his friend Rubin to let him shoot the clip, even offering to do it for free, longtime Cash fan Romanek finally succeeded in scoring the gig. But after plans to film it in Los Angeles fell apart due to Cash's health, Romanek had only a few days to conceive and shoot the video before Cash left for his annual health sabbatical in Jamaica.

"I wanted to do two things," he said. "I wanted to celebrate this legend and his achievements but also be very candid about what Johnny's life is like right now." Cash suffers from a nervous-system disease, autonomic neuropathy, which renders him susceptible to pulmonary disorders.

Romanek hopped a red-eye to Nashville on a Wednesday night and spent the next day scouting locations in Cash's house and at the museum, quickly putting the concept together in his head. Though he's known for such elaborate videos as Michael and Janet Jackson's "Scream," Romanek thought the "Hurt" video should be firmly focused on the 70-year-old man in black, with no gimmicks and no trick shots.

"His music has always been extremely candid," Romanek said. "That's what I wanted to draw from. I didn't want to make a phony video. I wanted to tell the truth but not be insensitive, because Johnny is not in the peak of health right now."

The one consolation to the warts-and-all approach was the metaphorically arresting footage of the House of Cash museum, which appears to have fallen into decrepitude. Though the imagery makes for high drama when run alongside snapshots of Cash, Romanek admitted that the museum was more a victim of a flood rather than neglect.

The rest of the video is a haunting portrait of a clearly fragile Cash juxtaposed with archival glimpses of a hale and hearty hell-raiser hopping trains, visiting his abandoned childhood home and taking walks with his family. The intercut footage came from several boxes pulled from Cash's private collection and lent to Romanek, who spent weeks combing through hundreds of hours of tape. "I've gotten letter after letter from people saying that the video made them weep and they can't stop watching it," Romanek said. As further proof of its success, the perennially cool but commercially hard-to-pigeonhole Cash is suddenly in rotation on MTV2 and VH1 and the song has crept onto the playlist of Los Angeles alternative rock tastemaker station KROQ-FM.

"I'm most proud of the fact that it's causing this visceral, emotional reaction," Romanek said. "That's the whole reason to make any sort of film. You don't often have the opportunity to do that with a music video because that's not usually what you're being asked to accomplish."

This report is from MTV News.
04-01-03 08:14 AM
Mother baby March 31, 2003
Congratulations are due to Mr. Cash for being named the "Greatest Man in Country Music" by Country Music Television (CMT). More information is available at: http://www.cmt.com/
04-01-03 12:34 PM
Gazza I dont know about Johnny Cash BEING God - but I reckon he's close enough that he probably drinks with Him..

its amazing that someone who has already produced such historically groundbreaking music can in his 60's release a series of FOUR back to back albums (namely The "American Recordings") that are the equal of anything he's EVER done.

may he live until hes a thousand and continue to enchant, chill and move us. The Man Is A Treasure.
04-01-03 12:54 PM
Martha My husband and I saw this video in the middle of the night several weeks ago and were immediately stunned, moved, and blown away.

I greatly appreciate the article being posted here..I didn't know about the background of the director etc. which is equally fascinating to me.

Thanks for making my day all about real music!
04-01-03 12:55 PM
Maxlugar I love Jonny Cash.

It's sad to think that our boys will be his age in just 10 years.

Will we all still post here when they are gone?

MACKY!!!

04-01-03 01:05 PM
VirginiaMonkeyMan Yes! Amazing, melancholy and powerful!
04-01-03 01:52 PM
Mother baby I was almost sure HAnk Williams would be number 1. So when he came it number 2 my mind went blank. I'm thinking..who the fuck...??? Then it was like getting hit over the head with a sledgehammer. Duh..oh yeah.
[Edited by Mother baby]
04-01-03 01:57 PM
Maxlugar The importance of Hank can not be over stated.

But I agree Cash was better in many ways.
04-01-03 04:04 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
The importance of Hank can not be over stated.

Yeah, that Monday Night Football song is the BOMB.

a HA! it was a JOKE!

In the Williams family, genuine talent skips a generation.

Hank Williams SR is a GIANT, but he's like Robert Johnson - gave us EVERYTHING in such a short period, and then gone before he hit 30. It sorta puts him over in a corner by himself, half man, half myth. Johnny Cash, on the other hand, has given us a LIFETIME of greatness, and on several occasions has cast his large black shadow over popular music in general, forcing people like me to rethink their positions on "country" music. And God bless him for that.

But man, that "Hurt" video - and not just the video but his performance of this great song - is just the most powerful thing. It just makes every other video seem unimportant and stupid.

Well, I guess most of them ARE stupid.
04-01-03 05:20 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks FPM - a great thread - a very cool diversion from all the unpleasantness that has been getting around here over the last two weeks or so

04-01-03 09:31 PM
BILL PERKS PROBABLY THE BEST VIDEO I'VE EVER SEEN-IT MAKES EVERY OTHER ONE TRIVIAL IN COMPARISON.
04-01-03 09:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Flea....told ya so.

Wait till you see the whole thing.

It is rare that someone can do a cover song better than the original artist. But then again, when it's Johnny Cash covering your stuff...what chance do you have? Trent Reznor does this song fantastic, and Bowie's version is pretty good too, but JC humbled them both.

I seriously can't remember the last time I fell so hard for a video. It's certainly the best video I've seen this century.
04-01-03 11:16 PM
FPM C10 [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Flea....told ya so.
[quote]

Indeed you did. I mean, just hearing ABOUT it, I knew it was gonna be amazing, but nothing prepares you for it.

You're right about his version burying the others - and I LOVE NIN's original, and thought Bowie singing it on the Outside tour was brilliant. But Johnny just digs down to the soul of the song and finds the TRUTH in it. Genius.

Reading the article above about the making of the video was great, too. Unbelievable that it's the same director who did the Michael & Janet Jackson in a space ship video.

It's powerful, but it's sooooo freaking sad. It's obviously the end of Johnny's career. The shot of him as an angry young man, the lights fading, then him closing the piano, his hands lingering over it...and like you said, I haven't even seen the whole thing yet. I had CMT on for hours today looking for it. Saw lots of CRAP. I wish they'd put it out on a little DVD, like the one in the Dylan Rolling Thunder set.

04-02-03 03:02 AM
Child of the Moon When I saw that whole video for the first time, it was in a Hastings store, and they were showing it on the little TV screens that usually show movie previews. I was glued to the set. I wouldn't allow anyone to even speak to me until it was finished. It was absolutely riveting. Tremendously sad, but it also allows us to see just how far he's come. From "Peace in the Valley" to "Folsom Prison Blues," all the way up through these great American Recordings. The man is a legend, no doubt about it, and the world is better for having him around.
04-02-03 07:36 AM
Mother baby CMT to Honor Johnny Cash at the CMT Flameworthy 2003 Video Music Awards

CMT will honor musical giant Johnny Cash for his five decades of influence and enduring contributions to American music at the CMT Flameworthy 2003 Video Music Awards airing live Monday, April 7 at 8 p.m. ET on CMT.

Cash launched his career five decades ago and to this day his artistry is vibrant and moving. He has sold over 50 million records and won over a dozen Grammys -- his most recent earlier this week for best male country performance. He is the only performer ever inducted into the Halls of Fame honoring rock and roll, country music and songwriters.

Cash's masterfully powerful and artistic music video, "Hurt," shot last fall at his home near Nashville, has earned rave reviews and has been hailed by Rolling Stone as the "video of the year" (March 3, 2003).
[Edited by Mother baby]
04-02-03 11:06 AM
Sir Stonesalot Humph. At least Rolling Stone got SOMETHING right for once.
04-02-03 11:58 AM
Mother baby
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Humph. At least Rolling Stone got SOMETHING right for once.

Hey, the old issues weren't quite so bad. It was "the only game in town" for awhile. Now they're a commercial operation, like everything else...including the Rolling Stones.....but....that's life I guess.
04-02-03 12:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot You hit that one on the head.
04-02-03 02:25 PM
2120SMA I picked up the version of this CD last week that has a bonus video of "Hurt" you can view on DVD player. Fantastic!
04-02-03 02:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot Ahhhhh!

What is the name of it?

Quick, I gotta go buy it.

Like, right now.

Please, don't trifle with me.
04-02-03 04:13 PM
2120SMA American IV: The Man Comes Around *

Two versions of this CD out. A standard one and a bonus one with the video. Picked it up at Tower.
04-02-03 04:32 PM
2120SMA I might be wrong in saying two versions of this CD exists.
I looked at a link at the top of this page and I see only one version listed and it has the DVD of "Hurt". I was heavily under the influence of "Moosehead" while I was at Tower. I still swear I saw both versions.
04-02-03 05:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'm all over it.

Thanks for your help.
04-02-03 06:45 PM
FPM C10
quote:
2120SMA wrote:
I picked up the version of this CD last week that has a bonus video of "Hurt" you can view on DVD player. Fantastic!

Wow! I just wished for that a few posts up and Whomp! There it is!

OK, now I wish for an eightball and some thai sticks.
04-02-03 10:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot FPM...I got the DVD. You gonna be around tomorrow night?
04-03-03 12:20 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
FPM...I got the DVD. You gonna be around tomorrow night?

Yeah MAN. Stop by.

Hey, all the rest of you'uns are welcome too! See ya then!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST