ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Jack Bruce - Mick Taylor Band 1975
Ronnie Leahy, Jack, Carla Bley, Bruce Gary and Mick
Photo by Robert Ellis - Rolling Stone No. 191 July 17th, 1975
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What would it take? Return to archive
03-25-02 09:42 AM
Carl The Lobsterman IN '81 the fans in Rockford got the stones to appear via a major petition drive.

Could the same be done now...to have them come to the Civic Center in Portland, Maine? The joint could hold 8,500 easy enough.

Looking for analysis from GAZZA especially.

ps...sorry for the wrong date on the poll stuff...it should have said April 19th, 1998...Montreal... the best show I ever saw.
03-25-02 12:56 PM
Maxlugar I had not heard about that. If they did that, it's pretty cool of them.

How did you get to Montreal? There is no major waterway that I know of up there. Perhaps we could sit down with a tape recorder and a nice bottle of Saba Spice Rum and go over it someday.

03-25-02 01:56 PM
Carl The Lobsterman I got to Montreal via a bus trip out of Boston. Originally scheduled in January, a once a century ice storm brought the northeast to a stand still. Rescheduled for April, the Stones played two shows at the Molson Center instead of one at Olympic Stadium. MISS YOU was the best...the BEST! I don't know how many times I've blasted away on a stairmaster or crosstrainer during the sax and guitar solos (bootleg- SPRING TIME IN MONTREAL).

As for '81...I thought everyone pretty much knew that a petition of over 35,000 names was drawn up by one of the stations and the Stones played the METROCENTER. All tix were distributed via names off the list. I have met two people who were there.

As for the drink my friend...well I am sober now. BUT I HEARTILY ENCOURAGE PARTAKERS IN THE GRAPE OR SUGAR!
I will galdly have my cranberry and soda, with an unlit cigar, and tell you all about my less than sober adventures at WEMBLEY STADIUM in '99.

03-25-02 03:40 PM
Gazza >IN '81 the fans in Rockford got the stones to appear via a major petition drive.

>Could the same be done now...to have them come to the Civic Center in Portland, Maine? The joint could hold 8,500 easy enough.

Looking for analysis from GAZZA especially.

yeah that Rockford story is completely true - I think the Metrocenter was a pretty small arena (maybe 6,000 - SDH could maybe tell us better as its his neck of the woods).. I think some of the people that run Undercover Digest tried a petition to get a club show just for their benefit in the San Francisco area just before the last US tour as the Stones were rehearsing in the Bay area.

Petition drives would hardly work on a website I reckon because we all live so far apart (everybody wants them locally!)and these shows take place at short notice making access to the shows for people living far away very difficult. It'd be great for the Stones image if they did shows for their "hardcore" fanbase, but as they dont even have a properly organised worldwide fanclub as such, I doubt theyd be interested.

Civic Center,Portland,Maine,eh?? An (in)famous venue for fans of music trivia . Elvis was scheduled to open a US tour there on 17th August 1977 but died the day before. Who knows, Carl - a Stones show there on that 25th anniversary would be a spooky coincidence...

03-25-02 04:46 PM
Carl The Lobsterman Yes, Elvis never made it to the building. He was in Augusta (Civic Center) in June of that year. I know of people who walked out he was so bad. He took...well some how got out onstage about 45 minutes after he was supposed to start.

Many people here still have their unused tix.

Speaking of unused...my buddy Fred...his mom has two unused tickets for AUGUST 15th, 1965. Wonder what those must be worth now. They are in mint condition.

Anyway...good day for the Stones on the 17th of August...that would be just fine with me!

Thanks GAZZA.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.