ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Press Conference in Shanghai April 7,2006
© Liu Jin THANKS GYPSY!!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Coldplay out-sell U2 Return to archive
1st April 2006 07:17 PM
stones40 Mr L on Shidoobee will be pleased to know that the biggest selling album in the world for 2005 was x & y by Coldplay with 8.3m sales.
Tis a real strange business when an album of songs with no real guts and glory about them can sell to extreme.
The music business has always been fickle but nowadays acts such as Coldplay & James Blunt have become forefront in music sales and trends with no obvious talent or gimics.
U2's How to Dis-Arm an Atom Bomb is one of their poorest albums yet because of all the hype by their record label
and the pop critics people rushed out in the 1st week and bought loads of copies worldwide.(excellent marketting)
On the back of this U2 have had an extremely successfull
world tour that Coldplay would give an arm & a leg to be able to pull off.
Yes the music business is really fickle when a bunch of older musicians in their 43 Yr year can attract more people on the N.American leg of the tour than the great U2 or that Coldplay will do perhaps in their entire lifespan.
That band is the' Rolling Stones' and lets all recognise this achievement by the skinny English cats from London who
always excell in live Rock & Roll concert.
1st April 2006 07:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
stones40 wrote:
Mr L on Shidoobee will be pleased to know that the biggest selling album in the world for 2005 was x & y by Coldplay with 8.3m sales.

U2's How to Dis-Arm an Atom Bomb is one of their poorest albums yet because of all the hype by their record label
and the pop critics people rushed out in the 1st week and bought loads of copies worldwide.(excellent marketting)

but U2's album was released in November 2004. Hardly a big surprise that an album released in 2005 outsold it in that calendar year.

(And surely pretty much MOST albums peaks in sales in its first week...)
[Edited by Gazza]
1st April 2006 09:16 PM
Prodigal Son I would hate to be in Coldplay. Despite the money, the adulation and the praise, I'd be p!ssed that my band was being made out to be something bigger and better than they really are. I'd be peeved with the overexposure that naturally leads to a spiteful backlash. But most of all, I'd be upset that my band's music was totally devoid of rock, soul and was 10% short of being as wussy as Christopher Cross (hey, wasn't Sailing the top selling album of 1980?).
2nd April 2006 08:50 AM
monkeyman62 big deal, we all know who the better band is,cold play
is not even on the same planet as u2
2nd April 2006 10:23 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mr L on Shidoobee will be pleased to know that the biggest selling album in the world for 2005 was x & y by Coldplay with 8.3m sales.

U2's latest album sold 5.6 million copies only during the first 5 weeks on stores in late 2004.
3rd April 2006 06:57 AM
Break The Spell 8.3 million for Coldplay?? I knew that crap sold, but I had no idea it was that much!! I'm scared to know what James Blunt has sold, sadly that may be the top seller for 2006 the way things are going. With the way the public's current tastes are, SOL would probably be the only thing off ABB they would like.
3rd April 2006 11:55 AM
nanatod As some of you may remember, my first post on this message board had to do with rock critic Jim DeRogatis. He had bemoaned the first of the two January United Center Stones shows, in effect, for the ticket price, and for the lack of variety in the set list. I said that DeRo likes the Stones to a degree, and that he usually rips bands a lot more harshly than he did the Stones in that instance.

Here is an excerpt from yesterday's Chicago Sun-Times, where DeRogatis goes after Coldplay and its weekend concert in Chicago:

"At the United Center, fans endured an insufferable 50-minute delay Thursday between the end of opener Richard Ashcroft's set and the beginning of the headliners'. After that wait and an endless string of opening fanfares, including the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows," Jesus himself would have seemed anti-climactic by the time Coldplay finally appeared.

The group played a mere 17 tunes during its set, though it seemed anything but short, as every other song was stretched out with an extended ending or a jam that went nowhere. Through it all, there was plenty of statuesque posing by all of the musicians amid great clouds of fog and symbolic beacons of light -- though singer Martin did undercut the melodrama somewhat with his goofy and gangly dancing and his unassuming stage patter."

[Edited by nanatod]
3rd April 2006 12:00 PM
jb I hate U2 and ColdPlay. I am unhappy with the dismal failure of ABB and Rarities. Also, I am unhappy that not one Japanese show(even in a stadiun reduced to 16k seats), has failed to sell out. Soldatti, any "good numbers" out there? Are we still 10th all time or have we slipped behind those fucking bastards Aerosmith???
[Edited by jb]
3rd April 2006 01:12 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"At the United Center, fans endured an insufferable 50-minute delay Thursday between the end of opener Richard Ashcroft's set and the beginning of the headliners'.
[Edited by nanatod]

Was Ashcroft the guy that was in The Verve?? I believe they were sued for sampling the symphonic version of "The Last Time" for their late 90's hit "Bittersweet symphony".
3rd April 2006 01:56 PM
Jumping Jack Record sales are an old paradigm. It is all about the coin and boys are kings of the coin!!!
3rd April 2006 02:19 PM
jb [quote]Jumping Jack wrote:
Record sales are an old paradigm. It is all about the coin and boys are kings of the coin!!!
[/quote

True!!!
3rd April 2006 10:31 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
Soldatti, any "good numbers" out there? Are we still 10th all time or have we slipped behind those fucking bastards Aerosmith???
[Edited by jb]

We're #10 on the US all time list with 67.5 million.
3rd April 2006 10:33 PM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

We're #10 on the US all time list with 67.5 million.

Thanks.......and may your first son,be a masculine child!!!
3rd April 2006 10:58 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:

Thanks.......and may your first son,be a masculine child!!!

I hope!!!!
3rd April 2006 11:06 PM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I hope!!!!

(see Godfather part 1).
4th April 2006 11:06 AM
glencar Coldplay is taking a 2 year break now. Even they're tired of Coldplay.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)