ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Press Conference in Shanghai April 7,2006
© Liu Jin THANKS GYPSY!!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan covers "backstreet girl" on next album? Return to archive
30th March 2006 10:50 AM
mickjaggerscat So "backstreet girl" is one of my favorite Stones songs even though it's never really played in concert. But anyway the rumor going around is that Dylan has covered "backstreet girl" during the recordings for his new album. Not sure if it will make the album, but i sure hope so.
30th March 2006 10:52 AM
gimmekeef By the time Bob is done wheezing his way through it...we wont know what song it was anyway...
30th March 2006 11:20 AM
mickjaggerscat no one cares?
30th March 2006 11:20 AM
mickjaggerscat no one
30th March 2006 11:23 AM
Break The Spell I think "Jigsaw Puzzle" or "Who's Been Sleeping Here" would be more interesting of a song for him to cover.
30th March 2006 05:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
mickjaggerscat wrote:
So "backstreet girl" is one of my favorite Stones songs even though it's never really played in concert. But anyway the rumor going around is that Dylan has covered "backstreet girl" during the recordings for his new album. Not sure if it will make the album, but i sure hope so.

where did you hear this rumour?
30th March 2006 06:26 PM
Soldatti New Bob album, when?
30th March 2006 06:52 PM
Gazza probably by mid-summer I would think

He was recording it in New York last month, and they rehearsed some of the songs in a theatre in Poughkeepsie, NY in late January

Certainly havent read anything anywhere about possible song titles, though
30th March 2006 07:44 PM
glencar Another internet rumor fueled by, well, fueled by nothing?
30th March 2006 08:36 PM
Soldatti Well, can't wait to hear the new album.
30th March 2006 08:57 PM
glencar Sales prediction?
30th March 2006 09:53 PM
stoned_in_dc if past history is any indication album will come out in september (love and theft came out on september 11 by the way)...

sales prediction.....

US sales 1 million within 1 year

1.5 million within 3

(yes i'm pulling those out of my b___t)

if dylan was covering backstreet girl on a record (something i don't think he would do) no one would know until it came out.. dylan's group are airtight on these things..not sure how they are so effective at keeping a lid on things...
30th March 2006 09:55 PM
glencar Sept. 11th but what year?
30th March 2006 10:26 PM
FPM C10
quote:
stoned_in_dc wrote:

(yes i'm pulling those out of my b___t)

We're big boys and girls here. You can use ALL the letters in "butt".

If there's a song called "Backstreet Girl" on the new album, I'm betting it's a new Dylan song by the same name as the Stones song -- which is one of my all-time favorites, by the way. Great accordion by Brian.

Who knows, though - I woulda bet money against Dylan ever covering "Brown Sugar" too.
30th March 2006 10:38 PM
Riffhard
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

We're big boys and girls here. You can use ALL the letters in "butt".

Yes. Flea's right on this point. We can handle the word "butt". We can even handle "ass". But shit,fuck,cocksucker,and asshole are right out!

I am hoping that Bob's next album is even half as good as his last two. If it is then we are in for another treat! We will then be arguing about why the Stones can not put out an album that good.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
30th March 2006 10:47 PM
stoned_in_dc oh.. i love dylan... i've seen him live 13 times...

ok..i was pulling that shit out of my butt..as far as sales..but i think they are plausible numbers..

love and theft was released on september 11, 2001...

its one thing to cover a song live as bob did with brown sugar (i saw that..great stuff.)... but its another to do it on an album..

we shall see.. i'm betting against it..

30th March 2006 10:47 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sept. 11th but what year?

beat me to it...
[Edited by HardKnoxDurtySox]
30th March 2006 11:21 PM
voodoopug I really disliked Dylans live show last year, Willie Nelson blew him out of the water. Dylan is no longer a top level performer in my eyes.
30th March 2006 11:40 PM
stoned_in_dc

even if he is no longer at the top of his live game- which may well be the case- boy did he have a great run! from 1996-2001 he was phenomenal!...i would take friends of mine that had been disillusioned with his early 90s shows and they just could not believe how good he was....one girl i remember started crying during don't think twice in boston...

i'm going to go see him next time he comes through dc.. word is he's going to tour this summer with the black crowes..could be just someone talking about of their ass...

he turns 65 may 24 by the way...

30th March 2006 11:45 PM
keeef I've always been a huge dylan fan and have seen him a bit over the years and he just seems lifeless these days. I agree up until 2001 everything he did was gold (besides late 80s), but the switch over to the piano marked his end in my book. That's when the voice went cartoonish and all he does now is basically gasp for air during songs. Love and Theft was amazing though. Sadly it may well be his last gem because since then he's really gotten bad.

It would be interesting for him to cover "backstreet girl" though.....he'd probably hate money from going to mick though. he doesn't seem to get along well with mick even though he seems to love Keith and Ron.
30th March 2006 11:51 PM
Riffhard I have always been of the mind Bob is either hit or miss. I have seen him about a dozen times,and he's either been great or shit. Not much in the way grey area with him. I will say that the last two times I saw him he was on top of his game,and they were two of the best shows that I have ever seen.

Riffy
30th March 2006 11:53 PM
glencar Never seen him...
31st March 2006 01:13 AM
wisertime
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
I really disliked Dylans live show last year, Willie Nelson blew him out of the water. Dylan is no longer a top level performer in my eyes.

It was not a great tour (summer tour), his voice + his band.

But European shows were far better.
31st March 2006 12:03 PM
Stray Cat UK He needs a rock band and to start playing guitar again.

At least he's still touring constantly and for affordable prices.

There's only 1 Bob
31st March 2006 12:04 PM
Break The Spell Perhaps he can call up Tom and Jeff, get a couple new guys, and do a Wilburys kind of album again. I enjoyed the other two albums.
31st March 2006 03:15 PM
Back Street Girl Sounds good to me
31st March 2006 04:34 PM
Prodigal Son I saw Bob in 2003 and he was still at the guitar then. There were some moments of "wha?" but it was still a fantastic show. He lost some real great band members since, went to keyboards and now seems to have lost that spark. Let's hope his next album doesn't reflect that. Love & Theft is a tough one to live up to.
31st March 2006 09:02 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I saw Bob in 2003 and he was still at the guitar then.

Had to have been earlier than that.
Save for a handful of songs, Bob's been playing keys since Spring Tour 03.
31st March 2006 10:07 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Had to have been earlier than that.
Save for a handful of songs, Bob's been playing keys since Spring Tour 03.

Oh you're right. Silly me, I was thinking it was September 2003. I saw him in Sept. 2002 in Calgary... and he rocked solid for about 3 hours. Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton were awesome. Songs I can recall them doing: "Somebody Touched Me" (opener), "Rainy Day Women, etc," "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum," "Things Have Changed," "I Want You," "Stuck Inside of Mobile," "Honest with Me," "Lonesome Day Blues," "Visions of Johana," "Highway 61 Revisited," "Tangled up in Blue," and an encore of "Like a Rolling Stone," "Knockin on Heaven's Door" and "All Along the Watchtower." Some others too, but they escape me right now.
1st April 2006 12:46 PM
FPM C10 Calgary, Alberta
Pengrowth Saddledome
August 28, 2002

Somebody Touched Me (acoustic)
I Want You (acoustic) (Larry on pedal steel)
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (acoustic) (Charlie on dobro and Larry on cittern)
This World Can't Stand Long (acoustic) (Larry on mandolin)
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Larry on acoustic guitar)
Ballad Of A Thin Man (Larry on pedal steel)
Honest With Me (Larry on slide guitar)
Lay, Lady, Lay (Larry on pedal steel)
Visions Of Johanna (acoustic)
Things Have Changed (acoustic)
Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic)
Summer Days (Tony on standup bass)
Standing In The Doorway
Cold Irons Bound
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 (Larry on steel guitar)
(encore)

Like A Rolling Stone
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (acoustic) (Charlie on electric guitar)
All Along The Watchtower

Yeah, that version of the band was amazing. Besides being great guitarists, Larry and Charlie could sing fantastic backups too.

Cool choice of a Roy Acuff cover too!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)