ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Press Conference in Shanghai April 7,2006
© Liu Jin THANKS GYPSY!!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pete Wells dead Return to archive
27th March 2006 10:25 PM
Daethgod long regarded as the Aussie Keith Richards ...
great guitarist

i just got this email :

"For those who have not yet heard, sadly Pete Wells from Rose Tattoo and Buffalo passed away last night after a long battle with cancer.

Dave Tice, Pete's former bandmate in Buffalo, and one of his Rock'N'Roll Brothers, requested I inform you all of this fact, and in Dave's own words.....

'My latest information is that a memorial service is to be held at 10am this Friday at St Brendans Church, Annandale here in Sydney. Not yet official but if it changes I'll let you know, I'm sure there are a lot of people who'll want to know."

Some info just before his benefit gig :

For those not TOO well-versed in Australian music history, here's a brief description of Pete Wells. He's a true legend - a tatt-covered, tight-jeans and snakeskin-booted rock'n'roll outlaw known for his formidable guitar-playing and laid-back (yet uncompromising) attitude.

Playing bass for '70s rock monsters, Buffalo, he's probably more well known as Rose Tattoo's guitarist and the leader of his band, the Pete Wells Band. Wells has been fighting the battle with prostate cancer for quite a while now and so his friends from afar and wide are holding a benefit concert to be held at Sydney's Enmore Theatre on Wedneday 7th September.

You can catch Rose Tattoo, Billy Thorpe (MD), Diesel, Jon Stevens with Noiseworks, Tim Gaze (Tamam Shud/Ariel), Dave Tice (Buffalo), Chris Turner (Buffalo), Tim Rogers, Killing Heidi, The Original Angels Band, Ian Moss, The Radiators and Sarah McLeod with more announcements to be made.

Pete’s band mate Angry Anderson said: “Pete is one of my oldest and closest friends – basically, he's family. We've been together for 30 years in a band, there's no way I wouldn't be there for him as I'm sure he would for me. Anything the rest of the band and I can do to help him out …"

Billy Thorpe added “Pete ‘Pops’ Wells is the last of our rock n roll outlaws. From his early days with Buffalo through to the legendary Rose Tattoo Pete’s uncompromising attitude and steel hard, kick arse, brand of unadulterated, undiluted, pure rock'n'roll has inspired a legion of fans both in Australia and internationally where he is held in the highest regard by the likes of Slash and Keith Richards."

So now its your turn to give something back to the man who has given so much to Australian music. Tickets for the Pete Wells Rock‘n’Roll Outlaw Benefit Show to be held at the Enmore Theatre on Wedneday 7th September go on sale this Friday, 5th August from the usual outlets.

27th March 2006 10:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What's goin' on, the RIP and In Memory etc has recently been as popular as the "Omaha'ed", "humilited by" and "Fuck you Gazza" in this board

RIP
28th March 2006 02:25 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
What's goin' on [...]

Well, I guess these people died...
28th March 2006 02:31 AM
RollingstonesUSA R.I.P.
28th March 2006 02:48 AM
FotiniD Sad but true Voodoo

Cancer sucks. It just sucks.

RIP Pete Wells.
28th March 2006 06:20 AM
StickyFishFingers Yes very sad news. What a champion, a true rock n roll outlaw.

RIP Peter Wells
28th March 2006 06:39 AM
Break The Spell "Nice boys, don't play rock 'n roll"
Truly a great band and he will be missed.
28th March 2006 06:51 AM
Daethgod Rose Tattoo guitarist dies
By Adam Bennett
28mar06

PETE Wells, guitarist and songwriter with legendary Australian rock group Rose Tattoo, has died in Sydney after a long fight with cancer.

Rose Tattoo singer and close friend Angry Anderson said Wells's health had deteriorated dramatically in the past few weeks.

Diagnosed with prostate cancer three years ago, the guitarist had "knocked that on the head", only to have the cancer spread to other parts of his body, Anderson said.

He passed away late last night at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, surrounded by his wife and immediate family.

Like Anderson, Wells's name was synonymous with Rose Tattoo, a hard rock band that conquered the Australian charts in the late 1970s and early 1980s with songs such as Bad Boy for Love and Rock 'n' Roll Outlaw.

The band broke up in 1983, but re-formed in the 1990s to resume recording and touring following a wave of overseas interest.

Anderson paid tribute to Wells today, saying he "had a magic that will live a lot longer than any of us".

"His influence (as a guitar player and songwriter) goes right around the world," he said.

"The musical fraternity in Australia have always realised what wonderful music he's left us, and what an amazingly innovative player he was.

"And we got to meet a lot of young bands when we were touring overseas, who said Rose Tattoo had a huge influence on them. Big bands like Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses."

"The music 30 years on was still rich and influential."

Wells was also a private man. After knowing the guitarist for 30 years, Anderson said there were some things he never knew about him, including how old he was.

"In all the 30 years I've known him, there were certain things I didn't know about him, and his age was one of them," Anderson said.

"That's just the way he was. He was a very private about a lot of things.

"He always claimed he was younger than me, but I knew he wasn't. But I'm 58, and he could only have been a few years older than me."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18633667%255E1702,00.html
28th March 2006 06:54 AM
Break The Spell I just did a search and it looks like Rose Tattoo will carry on without him, they have some dates lined up for this year.
28th March 2006 12:08 PM
glencar RIP My Aussie tribute band guy!
28th March 2006 04:17 PM
Mottrush
Buffalo's Volcanic Rock is one of the all time great Aussie rock albums!

RIP Pete.

Mottrush
29th March 2006 01:08 AM
JumpinJackFlash "Rock "n" Roll is King"
31st March 2006 04:02 AM
Daethgod Music friends farewell guitarist
By Crystal Ja
31mar06

ROSE Tattoo guitarist Pete Wells was a burly, tattooed bloke who may have looked intimidating, but friends today remembered him as a fiercely protective family man and loyal mate.

Musicians Jimmy Barnes, Angry Anderson and Jon Stevens were among the 150 friends and family who farewelled the musician at his Sydney funeral.

Guests gathered at St Brendan's Church at Annandale, in Sydney's inner-west, to celebrate the "rock 'n' roll outlaw", who died on Monday after a four-year battle with cancer.

For a man known for his contribution to Australian rock music, it was a service that was eerily bereft of the great rock tunes that shot Rose Tattoo to fame in the late 1970s.

Instead, soft blues played as the eclectic crowd, some dressed in black leather and mini skirts, watched.

Other prominent musicians also attended the church service, including Mark Lizotte, also known as Diesel, Billy Thorpe and members of The Angels and The Radiators.

In her eulogy, Wells' daughter Katrina said the burly rocker had a secret soft side to him, playing the "ultimate protector" of the family despite some "sensational boozy times".

He only ever lost his temper twice, she said.

Wells was to celebrate his 60th birthday this year.

"He said 'f**k' all the time, but he was a very, very kind, gentle man," fellow Rose Tattoo band member Rob Riley said after the church service.

Rose Tattoo lead singer Angry Anderson wiped away tears during the service, which praised the "gentle soul".

Wells successfully fought prostate cancer after being diagnosed in 2003, but the disease spread to other parts of his body.

"It was going to beat him, I think we both knew that," said an emotional Anderson, who was best friends with Wells for 30 years.

"We grew up together, we grew up into the men we became together because of one another.

"I love my dad, my step dad that is, I love my brother, I love my boys, my children, but I don't love them any more than I love Pete ... I hope I love them just as much."

Wells received his final standing ovation as Rose Tattoo band members, including Anderson, Riley, Steve Bass and Paul De Marco, carried the musician's casket out of the church.

Mourners burst into applause as the hearse drove away.

31st March 2006 08:24 AM
StickyFishFingers "He said 'f**k' all the time, but he was a very, very kind, gentle man,"

That's gold - a true aussie legend.
31st March 2006 11:07 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
long regarded as the Aussie Keith Richards ...
great guitarist

I am not familar with him, but that quote says enough for me-sorry to hear it.

I thought the topic was Peter Weller; I love that guy (not in a gay way-nothing wrong with it though).
31st March 2006 06:39 PM
Daethgod Tears flow for Tattoo founder

01apr06

ANGRY Anderson, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood hailed Rose Tattoo founder Pete Wells, 58, for his virtuoso slide-guitar playing.

Australia's biker community long respected him as the rock 'n' roll outlaw and local music fans loved him for producing some of the most blistering rock anthems made here.

Yesterday the who's who of Aussie rock joined Wells' wife Diane, family and dozens of fans to pay tribute to the guitarist who lost his battle with prostate cancer last Monday night.

Anderson, Billy Thorpe, Jimmy Barnes and wife Jane, Mark Lizotte, Jon Stevens, Doc Neeson, members of the Choirboys and the Radiators and many others who played beside Wells in Buffalo, Rose Tattoo or his myriad solo outfits, packed St Brendan's Church in Annandale, Sydney, for the service.

Jazz tunes rather than the searing blues-based rock songs Wells played punctuated the eulogies delivered by his brother-in-law Greg Young, daughter Katrina Kennedy and former Buffalo bandmate and lifelong friend Dave Tice.

Tice, a stalwart of Sydney's blues scene, spoke of Wells' sharp, dry wit.

"When I turned 50, a taxi driver appeared at my door and handed me a guitar case," Tice recalled.

"There was a shiny new red guitar. When I rang to thank him, he said, 'No worries, mate. It's about time you sharpened up your image'."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18670724%255E662,00.html

1st April 2006 02:15 AM
corgi37 What a great band they were. They were awesome at GnR. Real rock, not that candy assed crap. Dunno what the reference to Ron & Keith means. Unless they sent their regards.

Is it too much to dream that instead of a Ray Charles tribute song we get a Rose Tattoo tribute song in Sydney?
1st April 2006 04:16 AM
gypsy He wasn't kin to Kitty "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" Wells, was he?
1st April 2006 05:17 AM
Daethgod yer the Stones doing Rock N roll Outlaw would lift the roof off the joint

1st April 2006 08:29 AM
StickyFishFingers I read an interesting story on a Tatt's website today which stated that Rose Tattoo debuted at Chequers nightclub in Sydney on New Years Eve 1976 - which is really cool considering their good mates AC/DC who also were stablemates at Alberts, debuted at the same venue only 3 years earlier. how cool is that?
2nd April 2006 12:17 PM
Paranoid_Android Thank God...I dont know a thing or heard of this person...I thought you were talking about Peter Wells...aka Robocop.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)