ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 2007 NY Post thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dave Edmunds Appreciation Thread Return to archive
30th March 2007 11:44 AM
Nellcote I've been on a non stop marathon of Edmunds today.
From Love Sculpture, to Rockpile, solo works, etc.
A one man melodic machine.
Cajun, rock, rockabilly, power pop-you name it, he's done it. Not a major songwriter, most of his hits were covers.
Seems to have fallen off the face of the world, after having heart surgery a few years back.
His love for Chuck Berry is legendary, which is about enough for me.
If you've never had the chance, pickup:
Tracks For Wax
Subtle as a Flying Mallet
Repeat When Necessary
Messin with The Blues (boot)
30th March 2007 11:46 AM
Fiji Joe Vastly underrated...I will fight him in the battle of the bands...we'll see how he does
30th March 2007 11:51 AM
PartyDoll MEG Nelly...Good job...yes, Edmunds is worth the listen
30th March 2007 12:47 PM
tumbled The album "seconds of pleasure" is a must have.

loved his rockabilly meanderings "play that fast thing one more time" and got lots of airplay here in dc area during 80's on whfs.

Just what the true production collaboration with Nick Lowe will never be known but there seems to have been some creative juices coming from those two that produced almost a new genre of modern rockabilly that unfortunately seems to have lost steam lately.
30th March 2007 12:48 PM
Throwaway He respected his roots AND knew how to rock, and if hes good enough for Keith to jam with, he's good enough for me.

30th March 2007 12:55 PM
Nellcote He was a good producer, including:
1st Foghat lp
Stray Cats
Fabulous Thunderbirds
Mason Ruffner
Everly Brothers
30th March 2007 06:29 PM
tumbled he's laying low after quadruple bypass. sux. he isn't that old
30th March 2007 06:45 PM
fireontheplatter never heard of the guy
sorry, i cannot appreciate him.
30th March 2007 07:13 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Love me some DE!

My favorites have always been Get It, Tracks On Wax 4 and Repeat When Necessary.

Tons of great tunes - Get Out Of Denver, I Knew The Bride, Back To School Days, Here Comes The Weekend, Ju Ju Man, Trouble Boys, Readers Wives, Deborah, Thread Your Needle, A-1 On The Jukebox, Heart Of The City, Girls Talk, Crawling From The Wreckage, Sweet Little Lisa, Bad Is Bad...

Shame that Rockpile recorded a bunch of Dave and Nick Lowe albums together, and then broke up acrimoniously after the first "official" band album, Seconds Of Pleasure.
BTW, the CD reissue bonus tracks with Dave and Nick singing Everly Brothers tunes are sublime.

Springsteen gave his career a boost with DE 7th's From Small Things, but sadly Edmunds squandered that momentum by turning over production on two subsequent releases to Jeff Lynne, who promptly turned it into the Edmunds Light Orchestra.

Saw him solo about 3-4 years ago in a very small club, and he was brilliant.
Think he still performs in Europe occasionally.

Too bad he took his website down.
Used to be a great story there about a very wasted Keef showing up and plugging in at a 1978 Rockpile show in NYC.
30th March 2007 07:27 PM
jholcomb Throwaway, where'd that cool DE pic come from?
30th March 2007 09:26 PM
glencar Is he still alive?
30th March 2007 10:25 PM
tumbled
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is he still alive?

yep and he's singin

i hear u knockin
but u can't come in

31st March 2007 08:47 AM
rocker rocker sez edmunds is a bass azz
31st March 2007 09:22 AM
Throwaway the pic is from Harbor Festival in Sackets Harbor, NY, June 15 2002
31st March 2007 09:53 AM
rollmops Dave Edmunds is great. I saw him in 91 in Baltimore. I think 2 guys from the E street Band, the drummer and key player were backing him up. Dave is a rock and roller.
Mops
31st March 2007 10:08 AM
Nellcote Left Shoe, great retro of Dave's career.
Another great read on the man appears here:

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DaveEdmunds1.html
31st March 2007 12:55 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Left Shoe, great retro of Dave's career.
Another great read on the man appears here:
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DaveEdmunds1.html

Thanks for the link, Nellie.
Great read indeed.

Another link there made me remember how many times I saw him back in the 80's - Rutgers U., Capitol Theatre, The Ritz, Big Man's West, Peppermint Lounge, Roseland, Stony Brook, Asbury Park Convention Hall...

Springsteen popped up a couple of times - Big Man's and Pep Lounge, as did Brian Setzer - Roseland and Stony Brook.
Songs from the Capitol and Roseland shows subsequently appeared on DE's live disc, I Hear You Rockin'.

He still does a handful of gigs every year, mostly in Scandinavia.
Last US appearance was in 2003.

Maybe one of these day's he'll make it back over here.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)