ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 2007 NY Post thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Glimmer Twins songwriting...Who´s Keef/Who´s Mick? Return to archive
28th March 2007 03:38 PM
real wild child Mick has more talent to write songs than Keith.We know Keith´s more busy doing riffs but most of the lyrics come from Mick´s efforts.Let´s say too,Mick lost his touch for songwriting since Steel Wheels and maybe since She´s the Boss and It´s hard to believe the same guy who wrote Satisfaction also wrote Sad Sad Sad...(an exception is the Wandering Spirit album)Mick has his moments but he can write a song all by himself while Keef needs other partner (for example Steve Jordan on the 2 solo albums) to finish a song...what do you think?
[Edited by real wild child]
28th March 2007 03:58 PM
Mel Belli Keith's productivity has definitely gone down the drain, but at his heyday he could write great songs entirely on his own. "Gimme Shelter," anyone?
28th March 2007 03:59 PM
gimmekeef I yearn for the days of Nanker Phelge.....
28th March 2007 04:00 PM
Mel Belli I would agree, though, that Mick has written more Stones songs on his own (better and worse).
28th March 2007 08:00 PM
fireontheplatter i'll never know for sure...but i think mick pens the lyrics and keith does the music part.
hasn't it always been like that?
28th March 2007 08:30 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i'll never know for sure...but i think mick pens the lyrics and keith does the music part.
hasn't it always been like that?

That used to be the case, generally speaking. Nowadays, Mick writes songs entirely on his own, in addition to writing the lyrics for Keith's songs (for which Keith may have a title and a very basic lyrical idea).
28th March 2007 08:40 PM
pdog Keith wrote Love Is Stron, YGMR and Thru & Thru...
Mick gave us such delights as Blinded By Rainbows & Streets Of Love...
If we go back to the eearly days, we got Gimme Shelter, which is all keith...
jagger would've never come up with Satisfaction on his own either... Keith may be declining, but you know what... 45 years of doing this... Maybe he's done or uninspired... If he only wants to play live, that's fine, let Jagger put out his solo crap and ruin The Stones name with ABB, that has an ep's worth of good songs on it.
28th March 2007 09:02 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:
Keith wrote Love Is Stron, YGMR and Thru & Thru...
Mick gave us such delights as Blinded By Rainbows & Streets Of Love...
If we go back to the eearly days, we got Gimme Shelter, which is all keith...
jagger would've never come up with Satisfaction on his own either... Keith may be declining, but you know what... 45 years of doing this... Maybe he's done or uninspired... If he only wants to play live, that's fine, let Jagger put out his solo crap and ruin The Stones name with ABB, that has an ep's worth of good songs on it.

And Too Tight, Thief in the Night, How Can I Stop -- maybe the greatest finishing kick of a Stones album since Some Girls... BUT, I always think New Faces was a great song, and Mick's streamlining of Moon Is Up made for a solid track, too.
28th March 2007 09:04 PM
texile i disagree p-dog,
jagger's gifts as a lyricist far outweigh keith's....
musically, gimme shelter is great, but jagger's words make it a masterpiece.
jagger became more confident as a musician after sticky fingers and wrote alot on his own...enough to verify the guy can write without keith..
not knocking keith, but jagger IS a real, complete songwriter.
although i think they both have lost that passion.
28th March 2007 09:05 PM
texile and remember, some girls is jagger all the way...
28th March 2007 09:08 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
texile wrote:
i disagree p-dog,
jagger became more confident as a musician after sticky fingers and wrote alot on his own...enough to verify the guy can write without keith..

I basically agree with you Texile, save for the fact that Keith wrote the lyrics to Gimme Shelter.
28th March 2007 09:17 PM
pdog
quote:
texile wrote:
i disagree p-dog,

Mick was great, as was Keith lyrically and riff writing especially in the golden era.... I'm just saying the riff came before the lyric, pre- golden era, like Satisfaction...
and some of Jagger's recent lyrics are vomit inducing... He ruined Sparks Will Fly for instance with the shark rhyme, otherwise the song kicks ass, but that is a hit the wall moment.
Mick still has passion, I'm just not sure what is inspiring it. It's not the same thing I love about music. Hope be proves me wrong on his rumored solo album.
I disagree with Some Girls being all jagger. They jammed and jammed and jammed, and then jammed some more. Some girls is a Rolling Stones abum. The last great album IMO, and my 2nd all time favorite. Everyone was on, especially Keith, who wasn't sure what his future was going to look like with the heroin addiction and legal mess...
29th March 2007 12:55 AM
voodoopug Keith does not contribute to the writing process these days aside from a laugh and a riff (complete with missed note). He is now a pirate (see: fishing lures/jigs)
29th March 2007 01:01 AM
Starbuck
quote:
I yearn for the days of Nanker Phelge.....

i, on the other hand, yearn for the days of nankerace....
29th March 2007 01:09 AM
pdog I love handkerchief.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
29th March 2007 04:23 AM
Zack
quote:
texile wrote:
and remember, some girls is jagger all the way...

Except for BTMMR, Beast, and Shattered, the three best songs on the album.
29th March 2007 09:48 AM
glencar This is really another "Do you like/hate ABB?" thread in disguise. I think Keith doesn't care to write much at this point but Jagger is as busy as ever & lyrically he's still near the top of his game.
30th March 2007 03:18 AM
Fadeout_Freedom Why did Jagger/Richards/Wood disappear?

I can't rattle off that discography right off my head, but I really liked most of them. Dance, Pretty Beat Up, Everthing is Turning... etc..

Was money behind that decision?
30th March 2007 07:56 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Fadeout_Freedom wrote:
Why did Jagger/Richards/Wood disappear?

I can't rattle off that discography right off my head, but I really liked most of them. Dance, Pretty Beat Up, Everthing is Turning... etc..

Was money behind that decision?

I'm guessing ... yes.
30th March 2007 10:25 AM
rollmops On A Bigger Bang it is obvious that Mick did more song writting than Keith. Mick seems to be a "songwriting machine"always carrying a notebook in case he has an idea for a song.And it shows because he is very productive. Mick can write songs on his own whereas Keith needs some kind of external motivation like another musician or a reason to write a song. When they get together Mick has a shitload of material compare to Keith. Nowadays they have to go fast to record a CD,they probably don't spend time arguing about songs as much as they used to do.So Mick's material become more prominent.
Mops
30th March 2007 10:38 AM
gimmekeef Keith was better (see outstanding) when blitzed on drugs unfortunately.Now in his vodka induced trances we get..."This Place Is Empty"...which I presume refers to his creativity....
30th March 2007 11:38 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
rollmops wrote:
When they get together Mick has a shitload of material compare to Keith. Nowadays they have to go fast to record a CD,they probably don't spend time arguing about songs as much as they used to do.So Mick's material become more prominent.
Mops

I hate to get into all this again -- really I do! -- but I think this is a good point. The way the band operates corporately lends itself to a dominant role for Mick. I guess I occupy the middle ground on this debate: I agree that Keith is in a creative and technical slough, but I also think Mick still writes decent songs. I'm a ... centrist!
30th March 2007 11:52 AM
CraigP
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Keith was better (see outstanding) when blitzed on drugs unfortunately.Now in his vodka induced trances we get..."This Place Is Empty"...which I presume refers to his creativity....

Haha... Keith is still blitzed on dope... Just not as much. He "dabbles"... I don't know why people beleive he is off of it completely.
There was a clip of Keith and Ron before a show (on their website) that showed Keith all high-strung asking Ronnie: "weres the shit, ronnie? You got the shit? Oh, I use better water than that for...!"

Anyways, I wouldn't give a shit at their age about writing an excellent album...
But I had a dream 2 nights ago where I got to interview Keith... I was asking questions straight up like: "Keith, why dosn't most of the material on the Stones' newer albums suck?"
30th March 2007 12:45 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
CraigP wrote:

There was a clip of Keith and Ron before a show (on their website) that showed Keith all high-strung asking Ronnie: "weres the shit, ronnie? You got the shit? Oh, I use better water than that for...!"

Wasn't that just a joke about a pot of coffee? ... He said, "Pure as the driven snow," then the camera reveals the coffeemaker.
30th March 2007 12:53 PM
glencar
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Keith was better (see outstanding) when blitzed on drugs unfortunately.Now in his vodka induced trances we get..."This Place Is Empty"...which I presume refers to his creativity....

No "Losing My Touch" refers to his creativity. This Place Is Empty has grown on me, more for Keith's singing than anything else.
30th March 2007 01:03 PM
texile
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Keith does not contribute to the writing process these days aside from a laugh and a riff (complete with missed note). He is now a pirate (see: fishing lures/jigs)

lol...
the pirate thing is going to his head and now he'll NEVER need to write.
30th March 2007 01:10 PM
texile remember though,
beast and shattered were jagger's words...
at least the verses in beast..
and i need proof that keith wrote the lyrics to gimme shelter....
not saying its impossible, but it sounds too dark to be keith...
and i think that's the main difference between the two - jagger is a more interesting songwriter...
because by nature he's more more cynical, dark and ambiguous than keith....
30th March 2007 01:21 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
texile wrote:
and i think that's the main difference between the two - jagger is a more interesting songwriter...
because by nature he's more more cynical, dark and ambiguous than keith....

That may have been true a long, long time ago. But Jagger has all the appearances today of being a thoroughly mainstream aristocrat. Or, as Sway once said, a "boring old fart."
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)