ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SFTD live 1971-73 Return to archive
March 29th, 2005 06:07 AM
Zack Listening to a rollicking version of Sympathy for the Devil from a newly acquired show from Germany in 1970 (thanks you-know-who), I now have proof positive that the song was NOT dropped after Altamont because, as Mick was quoted saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, "something strange always happens when we start that number."

So here we have arguably the greatest Stones song of them all, dropped for four straight tours: (UK "farewell" tour, spring 1971; US tour, summer 1972; Aussie/NZ tour, winter 1973; and UK tour, fall 73).

I believe the Taylor-rhythm/Keith-lead arrangement, followed by the killer solos by each Keith, then Taylor, was just about the summit of the live Stones experience. The fact that the song was dropped when the band was at its absolute hottest (imagine a Brussels version!) kills me.

So the question is why - why drop your best song for three whole years? Sure they dropped HTW for part of 72, but it popped right back up. Anyone believe it's the Altamont thing, but if it was, why did they play it in 70? And yes, great new material was coming in, and something had to give, but why that song for so many shows in a row? Your comments, please.
March 29th, 2005 06:09 AM
Zack I mean European tour, fall 73
March 29th, 2005 06:13 AM
Gazza the song wasnt dropped immediately after Altamont - it was played at the 4 London club shows that followed it plus it was played throughout the 1970 European tour

It wasnt played again in the US until 1975 however (and even then, only a few times such as NY and LA) and aside from the occasional European show in '76, didnt appear again until 1989!

They DID drop it in the US until 75 because of Altamont, however. It's hard to see any other reason.
March 29th, 2005 03:37 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Gazza wrote:
They DID drop it in the US until 75 because of Altamont, however. It's hard to see any other reason.

I suspect Altamont was the key factor, but I think they try to pace the shows and having MR, SFTD & YCAGWYW would have been 20-25% of a '72-'73 show. With YCAGWYW added, SFTD was dropped.

The longer '81 shows could have accommodated SFTD, but, since the '78 tour was a short one and limited to the US, there was a lot of new material to cover, and they wanted to add some "roots" music (Cochran, Smokey Robinson, Diddley?).
March 29th, 2005 03:54 PM
ResidentMule maybe not having the percussion to do the song live more like the studio version could've been a factor? though I think Altamont would be the biggest reason - not so much out of superstition (something always happens when we play that number) probably because they wanted to lose some heat they might've gotten for that satanic image. I think just by listening to the albums following Altamont you can tell they were probably trying to shed some of that image
March 29th, 2005 04:49 PM
Gazza From memory, in Bob Greenfield's book on the '72 tour, Jagger does mention to a journalist that certain "volatile" songs have been dropped from the set.
March 29th, 2005 08:36 PM
Soldatti SFTD didn't fix with the '78 and 81-82 "punk" sound.
March 29th, 2005 09:06 PM
littleredrooster They even dropped Satisfaction in 72 !

No, Satisfaction with the Stevie Wonder band does NOT count!
March 29th, 2005 10:01 PM
Zack >They DID drop it in the US until 75 because of Altamont, however. It's hard to see any other reason

I agree with that, coupled with the addition of the 10 minute YCAGWYW. The set was pretty much stagnant between US 72 and Down Under 73 with a few exceptions; then by 73 they had the new Soup material to incorporate. I still would have loved to hear it when Taylor was more assertive as lead guitarist, but the water's obviously way under the bridge.
March 29th, 2005 11:29 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Zack wrote:
>I still would have loved to hear it when Taylor was more assertive as lead guitarist, but the water's obviously way under the bridge.

I think the Ya Yas version shows Taylor in about as assertive a role as he was going to get with the Stones on SFTD since it seems unlikely Richards would have relinquished the fills and middle solo to him at any time.

The '69 tour did not have Taylor soloing throughout. He did an improvised fill during one of the Oakland shows (which was probably his "assertive role" during a show with electrical problems), but, if I recall correctly, was not really given space to provide the lead we know from Ya Yas until Detroit.

quote:
Soldatti wrote:
SFTD didn't fix with the '78 and 81-82 "punk" sound.

Possibly explains '78, but not '81 where YCAGWYW was played and the sets were longer. Incidentally, BoB and FAE from '78 were part of a punk sound?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood