ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor with John Mayall @ Chicago Blues Festival Return to archive
March 28th, 2005 11:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl John Mayall with Mick Taylor will be the closing show of the whole festival.

Thursday, June 9, 2005
“Honky Tonk Train Blues” Meade Lux Lewis

Juke Joint Stage
Noon-12:30 p.m. Erwin Helfer
1:00- 2:00 p.m. Roosevelt Purifoy
2:30-3:30 p.m. Fernando Jones
4:00-4:30 p.m. Roland Tchakounte
5:00-6:00 p.m. Chicago Blues Poetry Showcase featuring Marvin Tate, Tara Betts, AvantRetro, with a poem by Kim Berez hosted by C.J. Laity

U. S Cellular Front Porch Stage
1:00-2:30 p.m. Blues in the Schools- “That’s All Right, Mama” Arthur Big Boy Crudup. Stone Academy, Grant Academy, Reavis and Agassiz Elementary Schools ftg. Erwin Helfer and Katherine Davis, Eric Noden, Les Getrex, Billy Branch, Doktu Rhute with the Blues Heaven Harmonica Kids and Roland Tchakounte
3:00-4:00 p.m. Nick Moss and the Flip Tops
4:30-6:00 p.m. From Linda’s Lounge: L-Roy and the Bullet Proof Band w/ special guests Lady D, Lady Cat and Holly Maxwell

Gibson’s Crossroads
1:30-2:30 p.m. Tommy McCracken and the Force of Habit Band
2:45-4:00 p.m. Grana’ Louise
4:30-6:00 p.m. Toronzo Cannon and the Cannonball Express

Best Buy Showcase Stage
2:00-2:45 p.m. Planetary Blues
3:30-4:15 p.m. After Midnight Blues
4:45-5:30 p.m. Madman Blues Band
6:15-7:15 p.m. Steepwater Band

Route 66 Roadhouse
12:00-1:30 p.m. A British Perspective: featuring Mike Rowe, Bill Greensmith, Bob Hall hosted by Jim O’Neal
2:00-3:30 p.m. Blues in the Schools Session

Petrillo Music Shell - 40th Anniversary of the British Blues Invasion
6:00-6:50 p.m. David “Honey Boy” Edwards: 90th Birthday Celebration
7:00-8:10 p.m. Kim Simmonds’ Savoy Brown’s 40th year Celebration with special guest Bob Hall
8:20-9:30 p.m. John Mayall and the Blues Breakers w/ special guest Mick Taylor

This article with thanks to "S" from the SW5 list

Blues fest beefs up lineup with Guy, Taylor, Staples, Mayall
March 25, 2005

The Chicago Blues Festival, which has been sorely lacking in star power in recent years, has announced a schedule for 2005 that offers an intriguing nightly mainstage lineup.

The 22nd annual event, billed as the largest free blues festival in the world, will take place June 9-12 at the Petrillo Music Shell and several auxiliary stages in Grant Park.

The lineup is particularly heavy on established stars on the local blues scene. Nightly headliners include the Queen of the Blues, Koko Taylor, and Her Blues Machine on Friday; Chicago blues kingpin and new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Buddy Guy on Saturday, and soul-gospel legend Mavis Staples bringing down the curtain on Sunday.

British blues is well represented, as well, with Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers"-era guitarist Mick Taylor joining his old boss John Mayall and Mayall's Bluesbreakers for Thursday's opening-night show closers. Another seminal name in British blues-rock, Kim Simmonds, will front a version of Savoy Brown for a 40th anniversary celebration that also includes Foghat's Rod Price and onetime Savoy Brown member Bob Hall.

Preceding Koko Taylor's set on Friday, the traditional Chicago night at the fest, will be an all-star assemblage of Muddy Waters sidemen, including Hubert Sumlin, Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin, Pinetop Perkins, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith and Mookie Brill.

Jeff Johnson

March 29th, 2005 12:21 AM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
John Mayall with Mick Taylor will be the closing show of the whole festival.

Thursday, June 9, 2005
“Honky Tonk Train Blues” Meade Lux Lewis

Juke Joint Stage
Noon-12:30 p.m. Erwin Helfer
1:00- 2:00 p.m. Roosevelt Purifoy
2:30-3:30 p.m. Fernando Jones
4:00-4:30 p.m. Roland Tchakounte
5:00-6:00 p.m. Chicago Blues Poetry Showcase featuring Marvin Tate, Tara Betts, AvantRetro, with a poem by Kim Berez hosted by C.J. Laity

U. S Cellular Front Porch Stage
1:00-2:30 p.m. Blues in the Schools- “That’s All Right, Mama” Arthur Big Boy Crudup. Stone Academy, Grant Academy, Reavis and Agassiz Elementary Schools ftg. Erwin Helfer and Katherine Davis, Eric Noden, Les Getrex, Billy Branch, Doktu Rhute with the Blues Heaven Harmonica Kids and Roland Tchakounte
3:00-4:00 p.m. Nick Moss and the Flip Tops
4:30-6:00 p.m. From Linda’s Lounge: L-Roy and the Bullet Proof Band w/ special guests Lady D, Lady Cat and Holly Maxwell

Gibson’s Crossroads
1:30-2:30 p.m. Tommy McCracken and the Force of Habit Band
2:45-4:00 p.m. Grana’ Louise
4:30-6:00 p.m. Toronzo Cannon and the Cannonball Express

Best Buy Showcase Stage
2:00-2:45 p.m. Planetary Blues
3:30-4:15 p.m. After Midnight Blues
4:45-5:30 p.m. Madman Blues Band
6:15-7:15 p.m. Steepwater Band

Route 66 Roadhouse
12:00-1:30 p.m. A British Perspective: featuring Mike Rowe, Bill Greensmith, Bob Hall hosted by Jim O’Neal
2:00-3:30 p.m. Blues in the Schools Session

Petrillo Music Shell - 40th Anniversary of the British Blues Invasion
6:00-6:50 p.m. David “Honey Boy” Edwards: 90th Birthday Celebration
7:00-8:10 p.m. Kim Simmonds’ Savoy Brown’s 40th year Celebration with special guest Bob Hall
8:20-9:30 p.m. John Mayall and the Blues Breakers w/ special guest Mick Taylor

This article with thanks to "S" from the SW5 list

Blues fest beefs up lineup with Guy, Taylor, Staples, Mayall
March 25, 2005

The Chicago Blues Festival, which has been sorely lacking in star power in recent years, has announced a schedule for 2005 that offers an intriguing nightly mainstage lineup.

The 22nd annual event, billed as the largest free blues festival in the world, will take place June 9-12 at the Petrillo Music Shell and several auxiliary stages in Grant Park.

The lineup is particularly heavy on established stars on the local blues scene. Nightly headliners include the Queen of the Blues, Koko Taylor, and Her Blues Machine on Friday; Chicago blues kingpin and new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Buddy Guy on Saturday, and soul-gospel legend Mavis Staples bringing down the curtain on Sunday.

British blues is well represented, as well, with Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers"-era guitarist Mick Taylor joining his old boss John Mayall and Mayall's Bluesbreakers for Thursday's opening-night show closers. Another seminal name in British blues-rock, Kim Simmonds, will front a version of Savoy Brown for a 40th anniversary celebration that also includes Foghat's Rod Price and onetime Savoy Brown member Bob Hall.

Preceding Koko Taylor's set on Friday, the traditional Chicago night at the fest, will be an all-star assemblage of Muddy Waters sidemen, including Hubert Sumlin, Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin, Pinetop Perkins, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith and Mookie Brill.

Jeff Johnson

you can bet i will be there
March 29th, 2005 04:56 PM
Night Clerk Okay, how does someone in South America get this information while I - a Chicago resident - hear none of this locally??
March 29th, 2005 05:25 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Night Clerk wrote:
Okay, how does someone in South America get this information while I - a Chicago resident - hear none of this locally??

there was a blurb about it in the Sun Times the other day, but truth be known clerk, if we want the scoops, we need to gather it from those "in the know" such as Doug, Gazza, oldkr, Voodoo, Jaxx, etc

information also available on the Lotus Couch, www.maxlugar.com
March 29th, 2005 05:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Night Clerk wrote:
Okay, how does someone in South America get this information while I - a Chicago resident - hear none of this locally??

As I posted above I got the heads up from a friend at the Mick Taylor's SW5 list.

BTW I live in North America not in South America
March 29th, 2005 06:05 PM
glencar LOL Mexico was moved overnight!
March 29th, 2005 06:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl baby baby... Mexico was not moved but you need some basic geography lessons
March 29th, 2005 08:17 PM
voodoopug
quote:
baby baby... Mexico was not moved but you need some basic geography lessons

I will be holding geography class along with the Voodoo Pugs when we perform live at Tommy's in Blue Island on April 16th!

Keep on Rocking Voodoo.....I vow to shake your hand by years end!
March 29th, 2005 08:21 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That will be super my dearest voodoo pug

BTW, some years ago, I think in 2002 my friend brought 100% pure Chicago Blues for a festival here, it was the Chicago Blues festival. I made interviews to Magic Slim, Melvin Taylor and Big Time Sarah she know how to put her mojo working baby

Melvin Taylor made also a free gig at El Chopo, his bass player (5 string bass) kicked serious ass. I asked to play Voodoo Child (slight Return) as he recorded and released a great studio version... he just laughed and did NOT play it

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
March 29th, 2005 08:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
That will be super my dearest voodoo pug

BTW, some years ago, I think in 2002 my friend brought 100% pure Chicago Blues for a festival here, it was the Chicago Blues festival. I made interviews to Magic Slim, Melvin Takyr and Big Time Sarah she know how to put her mojo working baby

Melvin Taylor made also a free gig at El Chopo, his bass player (5 string bass) kicked serious ass. I asked to play Voodoo Child (slight Return) as he recorded and released a great studio versio,... he just laughed and did NOT play it

this event is a highlight for me every year!
March 29th, 2005 11:39 PM
jpenn11 A silly detail, some info and a mild request:

-Mayall/Taylor are actually closing the first night of the festival. Subsequent days feature Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, etc. I think Koko Taylor closes the whole festival. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Koko and Mick Taylor (presumably no relation to Melvin Taylor as well) play together.

-Neither Mayall nor Taylor has actually confirmed the info in this Sun Times article.

-Voodoo, still looking forward to your reprint of your interview with Mick Taylor (preferably in translation . . .)

March 30th, 2005 12:12 PM
parmeda
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
this event is a highlight for me every year!

...ditto!

Have you seen the complete line-up, pug?

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalContentItemAction.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1862341224.1112202484@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddeehffdjkcefecelldffhdfgn.0&contentOID=536923785&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelName=Dept&blockName=Special+Events%2FI+Want+To&context=dept&channelId=0&programId=0&entityName=Special+Events&deptMainCategoryOID=

Buddy's playing on Saturday...I have to see him again. It looks like I might be able to swing Thursday night as well.

Aren't you glad they've moved this event into June rather than soggy ol' May, lol.

And, where the fuck is tele?
March 30th, 2005 12:41 PM
mac_daddy wow - chicago is getting all the goodies this year...

they get the only lollapalooza, too...

pollstar link
March 30th, 2005 12:57 PM
parmeda Air-fare is cheap to the Windy City, mac
March 30th, 2005 01:27 PM
voodoopug
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Air-fare is cheap to the Windy City, mac

Contrary to popular rumors, the Voodoo PUgs will not be performing in their "Sock Man" outfits this time around.

fly on out to chicago and spend some time with fine folks such as Parmy and myself!

Joey, please hold hope that the show will make it to the STATE OF THE ART Quest center!
March 30th, 2005 09:27 PM
littleredrooster Shit Puggy, I'm jealous !!
March 31st, 2005 01:18 AM
polksalad69
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
A silly detail, some info and a mild request:

-Mayall/Taylor are actually closing the first night of the festival. Subsequent days feature Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, etc. I think Koko Taylor closes the whole festival. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Koko and Mick Taylor (presumably no relation to Melvin Taylor as well) play together.

-Neither Mayall nor Taylor has actually confirmed the info in this Sun Times article.

yes, it's a four day festival these days. I hadn't heard the lineup either and I live in Cook County. better go check my blues-l messages. you might also be able to find the info on the city of chicagee's website which I'm too tired right now to look for. just got home from seeing the best blues band in Chicago, Devil in a Woodpile. you can have your Melvin Taylor wankery...
March 31st, 2005 11:03 AM
polksalad69 http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalEntityHomeAction.do?entityName=Special+Events&entityNameEnumValue=38
March 31st, 2005 01:41 PM
jpenn11
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

This Chicago appearance is now confirmed on Mayall's website. Canadian dates are listed as well, but Mick Taylor is not shown for those dates.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood