ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones to open new Wembley Stadium in June 2006 with 3 shows (Contact Music/The Sun) Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 28th, 2005 12:51 PM
Gazza Veteran British rockers THE ROLLING STONES will be the first entertainers to play London's new $1,425 million ($750 million) Wembley Stadium.

The GIMME SHELTER band will make history when they open the new venue by playing three nights in June 2006 as part of their final world tour.

The Stones - SIR MICK JAGGER, KEITH RICHARDS, RONNIE WOOD and CHARLIE WATTS - plan to kick off their farewell road-trip with the historic Wembley Stadium dates.

A stadium source says, "Wembley are absolutely chuffed to have landed the Stones as the opening act for the new venue.

"They are the most famous band in the world, so it makes perfect sense for them to re-launch the world's most famous stadium."

The Stones played the former Wembley Stadium, which was demolished in 2002 to make way for the new construction, on numerous occasions.

27/03/2005 14:04

Contactmusic.com

A bit more here in The Sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2005140336,00.html

they're suggesting other acts as possibilities, but in all honesty I doubt anyone but the Stones will be the opening musical act. The stadium reopens for football in May 2006, so the first concerts should be shortly afterwards.

June 2006 is during the World Cup being held in Germany, however.
[Edited by Gazza]
March 28th, 2005 12:55 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
as part of their final world tour.

Say it ain't so!
March 28th, 2005 12:56 PM
Gazza Tabloid-style nonsense about the "final tour" that they've been saying since 1976.

I think it probably WILL be but I doubt they'll announce it as such
March 28th, 2005 01:05 PM
Madafaka Excellent news! Tour is coooooooooooming!
March 28th, 2005 01:26 PM
Riffhard If memory serves didn't the Stones close the old Wembley? That would be nice to have played the last show at the old stadium and to play the first the new one. Am I right here Gazza?

Riffhard
March 28th, 2005 01:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Tabloid-style nonsense about the "final tour" that they've been saying since 1976.

I think it probably WILL be but I doubt they'll announce it as such

FINAL TOUR!!!! NONSENSE. THIS STUFF GOES ON FOREVER.
The Stones are damned/blessed to tour forever. God's favorite rock n roll band has got a very long shelf life. There's an awful lot of planets in the vast reaches of the solar systems that are being booked even as we speak.

March 28th, 2005 02:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
If memory serves didn't the Stones close the old Wembley? That would be nice to have played the last show at the old stadium and to play the first the new one. Am I right here Gazza?

I think they kept the stadium open a little later than originally intended. Aerosmith definitely played Wembley a few weeks after the Stones shows there in June 1999. I think they were the last band to play there. The last football match would have been October 2000, but I don't recall any concerts being held there in summer 2000.

The stadium was originally planned to have been ready for the FA Cup final in May 2004 but with the red-tape, chaotic organisation and spiralling costs that seems to blight any grand project in Britain in recent years (eg the Millennium Dome), its ended up being about 2 years behind schedule and about double the original cost.

It'll be something to behold when it's finished, however. A venue worthy of being the most famous stadium in the world - and fit for not only the home of football but the greatest band in the world, too.
March 28th, 2005 02:08 PM
BillyBoll Oh Yes. Make it so. The 15th June would be nice!
The first time I saw the Stones was at Wembley in '82 and that would make a nice birthday present

Alternatively the Liverpool Empire would suffice!
March 28th, 2005 02:14 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

"I think they kept the stadium open a little later than originally intended. Aerosmith definitely played Wembley a few weeks after the Stones shows there in June 1999. I think they were the last band to play there. The last football match would have been October 2000, but I don't recall any concerts being held there in summer 2000."

Well that is a crying shame! Aerosmith played Wembley last? Good god! There outa be a law against that!

"It'll be something to behold when it's finished, however. A venue worthy of being the most famous stadium in the world - and fit for not only the home of football but the greatest band in the world, too."

I would love to see the Stones on their home turf. It sounds like the new Wembley will be quite a stadium. I'm sure the Stones will do the Wembley folks proud.

Riffhard
March 28th, 2005 02:21 PM
Poplar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones - SIR MICK JAGGER, KEITH RICHARDS, RONNIE WOOD and CHARLIE WATTS - plan to kick off their farewell road-trip with the historic Wembley Stadium dates.

kicking off the Euro dates? June 2006? anyone have any thoughts on that?
March 28th, 2005 02:35 PM
Stray Cat UK I think the dreadful Oasis played the stadium in the summer of 2000.

scuk
March 28th, 2005 02:39 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

FINAL TOUR!!!! NONSENSE. THIS STUFF GOES ON FOREVER.
The Stones are damned/blessed to tour forever. God's favorite rock n roll band has got a very long shelf life. There's an awful lot of planets in the vast reaches of the solar systems that are being booked even as we speak.

Actually , I am afraid that this time it really IS " Over !!! "

I mean , when four young men from Ireland can sell out a Twenty Thousand Seat Arena in a small city like Omaha , NE in just under twenty minutes ( with a hundred thousand more of it citizens complaining that they got ' shut out ' from acquiring tickets ) then that group can pretty much lay claim to the title : " The Greatest Rock & Roll Band on the Planet " .

I have always prided meself -- here at this most prodigious of message boards -- as amongst the ' first ' to catch a whiff of those who would dare to unseat THE ROLLING STONES and THE WHO and I say to My Dearest Stones' Brothers and Sisters , " U2 " is Finally ON TOP -- TO STAY !!!!!! "

JACKY! ™
March 28th, 2005 02:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:

kicking off the Euro dates? June 2006? anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'd take that with a grain of salt. The main story is them playing at Wembley. I wouldnt worry about the other side issues which they wouldnt know much about.
March 28th, 2005 02:47 PM
Joey

Charlie Watts is a cancer survivor and MUST be careful when it comes to his health ...............

March 28th, 2005 02:49 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Charlie Watts is a cancer survivor and MUST be careful when it comes to his health ...............

joey, you are quite jb-esque with your posts today!
March 28th, 2005 02:54 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

joey, you are quite jb-esque with your posts today!

Thank You Puggy !!!

I am ' imbued ' with the power of JB today !

JJJJJJJJJJJJJAZZY !
March 28th, 2005 03:10 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Thank You Puggy !!!

I am ' imbued ' with the power of JB today !

JJJJJJJJJJJJJAZZY !

Thats the Law Talking!
March 28th, 2005 03:13 PM
JumpingKentFlash I'm glad to hear this. It's gonna be so cool. And "Last tour". Gimme a break. They'll eat their words, and I'll be happy to bring them the fork and knife.

Good to have you back Gaz. Shame about your team.....
March 28th, 2005 03:18 PM
Nellcote Joey;

You must be into the Panama Red today.
There will always be only one World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band. Do not let ticket sales ever cloud your judgement.
March 28th, 2005 04:19 PM
Poplar
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
the dreadful Oasis
scuk

listened to "Morning Glory" over the weekend. Hella guitar on that album. Some Might Say: holy shit that song kicks ass.

March 28th, 2005 04:33 PM
glencar Don't hate me for writing this, Gazza, but I'm pretty sure the dreaded Bon Jovi played Wembley after the Stones. I'm not I want to tour their fan sites to verify this though...
March 28th, 2005 04:33 PM
Stray Cat UK Yeah,it wasn't all bad.
But that drunken big mouth monkey was a disgrace at their broacast Wembley show......a complete tosser.

Anyway , f**k them . The Stones will be glorious !
March 28th, 2005 04:35 PM
Stray Cat UK I meant Oasis,not Bon Jovi................although ?
March 28th, 2005 04:40 PM
glencar LOL
March 28th, 2005 05:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Don't hate me for writing this, Gazza, but I'm pretty sure the dreaded Bon Jovi played Wembley after the Stones. I'm not I want to tour their fan sites to verify this though...

I dont hate you, regardless

Although you could be right. I was thinkin' the same thing this afternoon but was trying to blank it out.
March 28th, 2005 06:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Yeah,it wasn't all bad.
But that drunken big mouth monkey was a disgrace at their broacast Wembley show......a complete tosser.

Anyway , f**k them . The Stones will be glorious !

Oasis' "Familiar to Millions" live album mostly comes from their broadcasted Wembley show in July 2000. I still find it amazing that a performance as drunkenly embarrassing,charmless and obnoxious as that was released as a live record and DVD. I was still a big fan up to that point but I think I switched over that night after about 20 minutes.
March 28th, 2005 08:24 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Veteran British rockers THE ROLLING STONES will be the first entertainers to play London's new $1,425 million ($750 million) Wembley Stadium.

The GIMME SHELTER band will make history when they open the new venue by playing three nights in June 2006 as part of their final world tour.

A stadium source says, "Wembley are absolutely chuffed to have landed the Stones as the opening act for the new venue.

"They are the most famous band in the world, so it makes perfect sense for them to re-launch the world's most famous stadium."

The Stones played the former Wembley Stadium, which was demolished in 2002 to make way for the new construction, on numerous occasions.

27/03/2005 14:04

Contactmusic.com

A bit more here in The Sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2005140336,00.html

they're suggesting other acts as possibilities, but in all honesty I doubt anyone but the Stones will be the opening musical act. The stadium reopens for football in May 2006, so the first concerts should be shortly afterwards.

June 2006 is during the World Cup being held in Germany, however.
[Edited by Gazza]

GAZZA!!!!

Get me two seats 10th row center for the finale!!!!!!
March 28th, 2005 08:30 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Joey wrote:

Actually , I am afraid that this time it really IS " Over !!! "

I mean , when four young men from Ireland can sell out a Twenty Thousand Seat Arena in a small city like Omaha , NE in just under twenty minutes ( with a hundred thousand more of it citizens complaining that they got ' shut out ' from acquiring tickets ) then that group can pretty much lay claim to the title : " The Greatest Rock & Roll Band on the Planet " .

I have always prided meself -- here at this most prodigious of message boards -- as amongst the ' first ' to catch a whiff of those who would dare to unseat THE ROLLING STONES and THE WHO and I say to My Dearest Stones' Brothers and Sisters , " U2 " is Finally ON TOP -- TO STAY !!!!!! "

JACKY! ™

With Omaha most noteable for fantastic BEEF, how can they let a 'chopped chuck boy ' like Joey even reside there!!!????

Where's the BEEF, JOEY !!!!!!
March 28th, 2005 08:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:

GAZZA!!!!

Get me two seats 10th row center for the finale!!!!!!

As its not Twickenham, I'd imagine it'll be all-standing on the pitch, but if its seated, you're on!
March 28th, 2005 08:51 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

As its not Twickenham, I'd imagine it'll be all-standing on the pitch, but if its seated, you're on!

The hell with seats!!!
Who sits with seats on the pitch at any Stadium show!!!
2 on the PITCH!!!!

Camp out, camp out camp out!

Gazz, my email from 2 weeks past never came through.
It offered you American beer posters from the 80's if you wanted to adorn your pub room at home with some fantastic placards from Yankee barley and hops.
Intested? Email me for details.
Would the Mrs let you use them for wallpaper?
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood