ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Little Richard Return to archive
March 28th, 2005 12:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yesterday I watched Little Richard on the TV-Land 2005 Award show do one song....Good Golly Miss Molly I think. I don't know if the show was live or taped, but taped I suppose as they'll run it a million times. At any rate he seemed a bit subdued to me. I got to pondering his legacy. Just for the sake of discussion...how important was/is he?
March 28th, 2005 12:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
March 28th, 2005 12:56 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Just for the sake of discussion...how important was/is he?

you know the answer to this
March 28th, 2005 12:59 PM
Gazza Very

But not as much as HE thinks he was. With an ego like that, no one could be!
March 28th, 2005 01:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
With an ego like that, no one could be!

Well, I think one has to look at the BOTH sides of the coin. Little Richard has always promoted the pomp. No question. But how much of it is "part of the act"? I've always sensed a certain level of humility inside Little Richard. More so than Chuck Berry.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
March 28th, 2005 01:57 PM
tumbled I saw an interview of him recently and don't recall the tv show, but he was saying that he is lucky to be this old that all of his friends have died, many of aids. I wish I could recall the context and date of the show. Perhaps that is why he is so subdued??
March 28th, 2005 02:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
March 28th, 2005 02:04 PM
Gazza He LOOKS very subdued and humble there, doesnt he?!
March 28th, 2005 02:09 PM
Riffhard Little Richard's legacy is huge. He's one of the Macon,Ga. wonderkids. Otis Redding being another one,and of course The Allman Bros.

As a younger man I used to drive down to Macon from Atlanta on weekends. I had a friend who lived down there. Anyway,we used to go to Duane's grave and smoke a few joints in his honor. At any given time you would find about twenty to thirty roaches tucked around his headstone! We would then go check out Otis's old house and the bridge named for him in Macon. The old Greyhound bus terminal that Little Richard used to wash dishes at is still there to this day. Though the restuarant has long since closed it's doors.

It's amazing the amount of talent that came out of Georgia back in the day. One of the greatest states ever for providing rock and roll with it's roots.

Riffhard-proud to be born in Atlanta,Ga. circa 1963.
March 28th, 2005 03:55 PM
Make It Funky Undeniably. His impact has touched on different levels.. music delivery, pushing the boundaries of sexuality, his outlandish showmanship and lewd behaviour (off screen) to his voice and then there's his outfits (inspired by fellow musician, Esquirita).

For me, I can't decide who I like more, Richard Pennimen or Chuck Berry. I have numerous concert videos of them together since the sixties, and Im just in *awe* of them. I don't think I can play piano any worse than Richard, as he has this unique style of playing with his fingers enclosed (not the tips), and can get VERY sloppy. And he's not even the best of singers either; but.. his passion, lust and enthusiasm makes up for it. I love him!!! haha

When I first saw the little Richard post on here, I went into shock, cos i thought he had died!! Thankfully, he hasnt yet. *phew*

Cheers.
March 28th, 2005 04:37 PM
glencar I saw an interview with him recently on whatever that show that follows Letterman is called. It's got some dull Scottish comic hosting it. I think he may have been subdued because the host's interview style was excruciatingly dull.
March 28th, 2005 10:38 PM
Mr Hess Richard hands down came up with the craziest rock and roll beat in the fifties.
March 29th, 2005 12:40 PM
FPM C10 To a certain degree, it's a matter of opinion. Everybody knows the patriarchs of Rock & Roll - Richard, Jerry Lee, Elvis, Chuck - and how important each one is depends on what your criteria is. Songwriting? Chuck Berry. Wet panties? Elvis by a mile. But each one thinks that he was/is the most important.

Little Richard KNEW from the git-go that he wasn't ever going to wear the crown of King, so he wisely staked out the title of "Architect of Rock & Roll". I've never heard anyone dispute his claim.

My own tastes tell me that Little Richard rocked the hardest of any of them. He and his great band the Upsetters had a ferocious groove that slams into you like a freight train. It's physiological - when one of his songs comes on the oldies station it makes my pulse beat harder. Compare any of HIS handful of perfect rock & roll songs - "Tutti Fruitti", "Long Tall Sally", "Lucille", "Good Golly Miss Molly", "Rip It Up" (make sure they're the Specialty recordings, because Richard is also a whore and re-recorded these songs several times)to the output of his peers, and I just don't think there's any contest. Besides being great records, there's also an element of silliness to the proceedings, which seems to be an important part of rock & roll - not taking itself TOO seriously - and the whole androgeny thing was decades ahead of the curve. I've always thought that America must've been puzzled and perhaps a little afraid of Richard when he first came out. Whether it was conscious or not, a whole lot of Mick Jagger's schtick can be traced directly to Little Richard.

He has hurt his rep over the years by being so goofy. He used to be on the Tonight Show a lot when I was a kid, when it was a live show, and Johnny would always make him sit next to Don Rickles, who was usually tipsy from the bar in the Green Room. It WAS very entertaining hearing Richard yell "Shut UP!" and tell everyone how pretty he was. But it watered down his divinity.

I saw Little Richard once, at the Concert for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in '95. His set was the climax of the 6-hr concert (there was other stuff after him but everyone wondered why)and it was a dream come true for me to see him. He had a gigantic orchestra for the occasion (I remember there were TWO bass players) and Richard was in a white sparkly suit standing on top of his piano as the revolving stage turned to reveal the band, which had already started pounding out "Lucille". To me, it was like seeing Christ's second coming, except that I don't believe in Christ and I DO believe in Little Richard.

I'm sure seeing him that night, or now, is nothing like seeing him in the 50s, when he staked his claim. And his greatness all hinges on a dozen or so songs - it certainly wasn't a body of work he could build on and transform into new variations, like the Beatles and the Stones. But if I compare "Tutti Fruitti" to "Heartbreak Hotel", "Maybelline" and "Great Balls of Fire", I find that Little Richard is the TRUE King of Rock & Roll.

March 29th, 2005 03:42 PM
kath well, i have to admit that he (dare i say this?) "blows his own horn" a lot...

but he was groundbreaking, he was a pioneer and was a great rock and roller.

i always loved his pomp and his makeup and his attitude. there was an interview where he said he made elvis a star and "he never even sent me a christmas card!"

he was great. he was very important, imho, in making rock and roll what it was and what it has become.
March 30th, 2005 10:08 PM
Make It Funky FPM,

Hey man, I really liked your blurb on Richard, you're a very good writer. (I can tell that you've also done a lot of rock and roll readings in your day) haha..

I too was at the RNRHOF in Cleveland that infamous day ten years ago (where has the time gone?) and it was quite good to see him. However, I had already seen Richard prior, and not Chuck Berry (who not only opened, but greedily closed the show too) and I would have loved it had EVERYONE had've come out at the final song, but.. hey man, jerry Lee was "killer" when he kicked out the stool from under him! (I have goose bumps right now thinking about it! haha)

I was tryign to get ahold of Richard, (thru Wm. Morris), to no avail. There really isnt' that much personal information on him. Do you know anything about his personal effects? Does he still live in Hollywood? Or is he still down and out in beverly hills? Who is his boyfriend? I think he has one child.

I have one of the best live recordings EVER, and its of Little Richard, live at the Okeh Club, (1968?) and his vocal prowess is phenomonal to say the least. "Send me some loving" "The Girl Can't Help It" "Any Way You Want It" and "True Fine Mama". Wow!!! I cant recall the label, but its gotta be either Rhino or Charly.

Cheers mate.
March 31st, 2005 01:54 AM
padre What would've Zep's Rock'n'Roll sounded like without Little Richard's Keep On Knockin'?
I think he is the true king of rock'n'roll. Jerry Lee and Elvis fight for the 2nd place.
March 31st, 2005 03:13 AM
Moonisup In 2000 I saw Jerry Lee, Little Richard, and Chuck berry, and I must say, that Little richard rocked harder then the other 2. He had a great backing band, 2 bass players, great brass, and at that age, (68??) he gave a great show, a lot of energy!
March 31st, 2005 06:24 AM
Gazza I'm going to be in Paris for a week in June on holiday, and I noticed that he's in concert that week at the Olympia - just down the road from where I'm staying.

tickets arent cheap but I'm thinking about going. What's he like in concert these days?
March 31st, 2005 07:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm going to be in Paris for a week in June on holiday, and I noticed that he's in concert that week at the Olympia - just down the road from where I'm staying.

tickets arent cheap but I'm thinking about going. What's he like in concert these days?

Have you seen him before? Anyway If I were in your position and could, I'd go. What better way to spend a part of a holiday? (Just try to resist the impulse to pull of a "we're not worthy" routine.)
March 31st, 2005 07:27 AM
Gazza I've never seen him before, no.

I've seen Chuck Berry and I've seen Jerry Lee in a guest appearance with Springsteen, so thats the only two of that "first generation" or rock n rollers I've seen live.

I'll certainly give it some thought!
March 31st, 2005 07:45 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Very

But not as much as HE thinks he was. With an ego like that, no one could be!

He even was snobbish with Hendrix at his early days as a musician.

I would like to know......does Richard still hammer his piano insanely?
March 31st, 2005 07:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
I would like to know......does Richard still hammer his piano insanely?

Piano? That was his pecker.
March 31st, 2005 07:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels When I saw him on TVland last sunday I guess it was, like I said he seemed a bit subdued. But of course a one song spot on an awards show is not a concert. It looked like he wanted to though. I'd guess he can still pull off a good show....but jeez,he's 70 something.
March 31st, 2005 10:29 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm going to be in Paris for a week in June on holiday, and I noticed that he's in concert that week at the Olympia - just down the road from where I'm staying.

I think this one's a no-brainer, Gazza. You GOTTA go. And at the Olympia??? The opportunity is NOT always going to be there. I know I'D go.

Richard was in a car wreck a few years ago and consequently he hasn't been quite as wild as he once was - but he can still go "WHOOOOO!!" and pound his piano - what more do you really need?

GO and then tell us all about it! It's your DUTY.
March 31st, 2005 10:38 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
When I saw him on TVland last sunday I guess it was, like I said he seemed a bit subdued. But of course a one song spot on an awards show is not a concert. It looked like he wanted to though. I'd guess he can still pull off a good show....but jeez,he's 70 something.

Oh come on 10k, age is not the matter. Well..... at least I don't expect Keith retired even after "70 something".

"A Rollin' Stone gathers no moss"
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
March 31st, 2005 12:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Oh come on 10k, age is not the matter. Well..... at least I don't expect Keith retired even after "70 something".

Well age slows you down...not necessarily meaning retirement. But age does matter and it does have an effect. I'm only 52 and if I miss my 3 naps a day, I just can't function all that well.
March 31st, 2005 01:25 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:

Well age slows you down...not necessarily meaning retirement. But age does matter and it does have an effect. I'm only 52 and if I miss my 3 naps a day, I just can't function all that well.

Heck!!!!!

3 naps Mot!?

And I have always been fighting with my father because of his little post-lunch weekends nap.......
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood