ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Paul Hester RIP Return to archive
March 27th, 2005 07:04 PM
HomerJRichards For any Crowded House fans out there who don't already know, Paul Hester the drummer for Crowded House & Split Enz committed suicide (date unknown). He was 46 years old. Paul was a great drummer & also a very talented & funny guy.

Another great & sad loss indeed.
March 28th, 2005 04:55 AM
mac_daddy sorry to hear that - r.i.p.

was he manic depressive? or bipolar..? the reason i ask is that he was always the joker on stage, so i wonder if he was prone to the fll mood swings, and as jovial as he was on camera (so to speak), he was as depressed when out of the limelight...

March 28th, 2005 08:05 AM
corgi37 He had been suffering depression for quite some time. I used to work near his house. In fact, the park where he necked himself is where the coppers and i used to have after work bbq's.

He seemed a bit of a lost soul since quitting Crowded House. He ran a tea house here in Melbourne, and used to host some stuff on pay tv. He even popped up with the Wiggles. But, really, he went pretty silent.

Poor bugger.
March 28th, 2005 12:09 PM
Gazza Interesting that mac brought up the subject of him being the joker in the band. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the news today.

very sad to hear it. Saw them when they played Belfast in 1993 (at a time when a lot of other bands were cancelling gigs after an upsurge in terrorist incidents) and they were great entertainment and a lot of fun - Paul, especially.

It was one of the last gigs they ever played, I think. They were a bloody good band too.
March 28th, 2005 04:11 PM
glencar Damned shame. The "Something So Strong" video showed the band at their most playful. RIP Mr. Hester.
March 29th, 2005 01:17 AM
corgi37 Their farewell show on the steps of the Sydney Opera House was played all week end on cable tv.

I havent seen it in quite some time. I was surprised how they really rocked out. Neil & Tim Finn did a gig at the Albert Hall and dedicated it to Hester.

Hester had recently split up with his girlfriend last month or some thing.
March 31st, 2005 03:57 AM
HomerJRichards Yeah they were set to get married later this year & then they split.

Someone commented earlier about whether he was bi-polar/manic depressive. I wondered the same thing. He was certainly such a outgoing guy. I really started appreciating him as an entertainer etc just after he suddenly quit CH midway thru their US tour. He came back to Australia & was working for Triple J radio. I really enjoyed listening to him on-air.

It's all such a sad shame.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood