ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aerosmith discussion Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 19th, 2005 05:51 AM
exile I am curious as your opionions on Aerosmith

this being a Rolling Stones board.

You you all like aerosmith? Or do you think Steven Tyler and Joe Perry are "poor man's" Mick and Keith?

Dont get me wrong, I like Aerosmith.
Myself i like some of their 70's stuff eg. One way street, Dream On and Sweet Emotion. Pump was a good album, as was Nine Lives album , but "just push play" was just simply shit. At this junction I have not heard Honkin on bobo (I like the idea of them going back to bluesy roots though)

America seems to revere Aerosmith like "holy gods" I guess I dont see what the fuss is about. Is it because America wants their own version of the stones. please discuss.

[Edited by exile]
[Edited by exile]
March 19th, 2005 06:09 AM
JumpingKentFlash Aerosmith can be cool actually. I only have Big Ones and Honkin' On Bobo by them. But there's some really good shit in their catalogue. Sure they are the biggest Glimmertwins rip-off ever, but since the true Glimmers are the coolest ever, the best rip-off isn't bad at all....
March 19th, 2005 06:41 AM
Nellcote A long time fan here, they played @ my high school in '74
as well as rehearsed in my area, Perry grew up a few towns away..

While they do have similarities to the Stones, the guitar style is more Yardbirds/Zep than the Stones. As well, for good or bad, in the later years, they have openly embraced collabrative efforts to have hits, mostly to success. They certainly knew how to work the early mtv video era for hits.

On their albums, I hope the songwriters they spotlighted on Honkin will get some recognition, with fans seeking those artists tunes. I was dissapointed with the slick sound 'Smith found to use on the disc. Their version of "You Gotta Move" frankly makes my skin crawl.

It should be noted that for a band to collectively admit drug addiction, then all go thru rehab, come out with the ability to still go on, they get high marks, imho
March 19th, 2005 06:55 AM
egon definitely like them.
as a matter of fact, i played "get a grip" yesterday evening. don't care much for the (newer) slow songs, like "don't wanna miss a thing" etc, but for the rest a good rock band

i own;
pump
get a grip
permanent vacation
nine lives
little south of sanity
just push play
March 19th, 2005 07:10 AM
Monkeytonkman Aerosmith are a great rock band,

Try to catch 'em everytime they play the UK, put on a good show with lots of energy, not only that but I think the crowd probably rocks harder than at a modern Stones show, Tyler is also still as mad as a fish on stage.

I recommend everyone rushes out and buys the new DVD 'You Gotta Move' straight away and go get they're rocks off to that!

March 19th, 2005 07:22 AM
JumpingKentFlash Hey MonkeyTonkMan. Are you the guy who sings Monkey Tonk Man on "Street Fighting Fans vol. 1" the Shidoobee CD (You must be)??? Do you have a website with some more of the cool/fun stuff you and the band make?

And BTW: What's the name of the band who does Tumbling Dice on Street Fighting Fans vol. 1??? Do you know??? I'd like to get more from them. They're really cool.
March 19th, 2005 08:22 AM
Egbert I like their '70s stuff - Dream On was my first 45 - but really nothing after that.
March 19th, 2005 09:19 AM
exile I have seen them live myself in the uk actually wemberly arerna nine lives tour. Great Show.

I agree they were way cool in the 70's. I also love the Walk this way with Run DMC

seems lately they have gotten lazy putting out (newer) slow songs or those GOD AWFUL power ballads.

I mean "What It Takes" from PUMP was fantastic. but we dont need 500 of them.

so makes me curious to hear "Honkin on Bobo"
March 19th, 2005 10:27 AM
sirmoonie If you like 70s hard rock, Toys in the Attic is something you have to have. None of their other stuff came close, IMHFO. Big Ones is a good collection of their 80s power ballad years, for what that's worth. A killer song like Dueces Are Wild showed that they had it in them to pull out a classic every now and then.
March 20th, 2005 02:29 AM
VanishByDawn I've never seen them live but I would in a moment! IMO nothing compares to their 'Get Your Wings' album: Same Old and Song and Dance; Lord of the Thighs; Train; and, the song that makes the album, Seasons of Wither. I don't think of them as a rip-off of 'The Glitter Twins'; they're simply Tyler & Perry.

There's really only one song in the whole world, and probably Adam and Eve hummed it to each other, and everything else is a variation on it in one form or another, you know? - Keith Richards
March 20th, 2005 04:25 AM
IanBillen Aerosmith:

Used to have some real good moments in the seventies.
Also at the end of the eighties and early nineties.

Now:
Sell outs who don't know when to draw the line.

Their fan base had diminished to 12 and 14 year old girls.

I, and many, lost respect for them a long time ago.

Gap commercials, Steven Tyler playing Santa on Nickolodian,
Soundtrack after soundtrack... The list is endless.

Now they are seen more of a power ballad band for a major film sound track than a rock band.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 20th, 2005 06:01 AM
magicwoman Aerosmtih is great.I was a big fan of them when i was 14.That was before I became a stones fan.But now i dont listen aerosmith anymore.I like other bands now.
[Edited by magicwoman]
[Edited by magicwoman]
March 20th, 2005 10:13 AM
shakedhandswithkeith
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Aerosmith:

Used to have some real good moments in the seventies.
Also at the end of the eighties and early nineties.

Now:
Sell outs who don't know when to draw the line.

Their fan base had diminished to 12 and 14 year old girls.

I, and many, lost respect for them a long time ago.

Gap commercials, Steven Tyler playing Santa on Nickolodian,
Soundtrack after soundtrack... The list is endless.

Now they are seen more of a power ballad band for a major film sound track than a rock band.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

Strike!!!!
March 20th, 2005 10:43 AM
Irresistible-Lady I really like Aerosmith,i have been to one of the concerts and have several cd's..Aerosmith rocks!
March 20th, 2005 03:36 PM
VanishByDawn Yeah... I like 'em too.
March 20th, 2005 04:56 PM
Gimme Shelter I've seen them live four times and they really rocked. Great band.
March 20th, 2005 08:58 PM
Soldatti They were a good rock band up to Get A Grip, and a kids band since then with all that MTV/Top 40 hits like Cryin', Crazy, Pink, the song of the asteroid, Jaded...
At least the last blues album was decent.
March 20th, 2005 09:57 PM
Bruno Stone Aerosmith has a lot of grat songs. Their early records are wonderful... Dream On, Lord Of The Thigs... Get Your Wings is a great rock record, and ROCKS is almost perfect.

In the 80`s, as almost everybody, they declined but there were still many gems, and somebody talked about Deuces Are Wild, this song ROCKS! Tyler plays a killer hearp in this.

I don`t liked Honkin On BoBO, to me there`s no blues in it, I mean, I like blues being slow, their Blues in this record is too much Rock to me. But there`s a fantastic song, Never Loved A Girl, that makes you wish to be a singer, by hearing Tyler singing the lines....

Well, Aero is a VERY GOOD band, better than many that are overrated, BTW...

I respect Aerosmith, and I`m hearing Uncle Salty from Toys In The Attic right now. Great song, like a lot of many others.
March 21st, 2005 01:02 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies Toys in the Attic is among my top 10 greatest rock albums.

Aerosmith today is a sad situation. At least the Stones haven't stuped to hiring local strippers and models from the local modeling agency to "flesh" out the front rows of their concerts when they are shooting video for a DVD. Or hire people to help them write hit songs and help them relaunch their career.

The only great artists in Aerosmith these days are Steve Tyler's and Joe Perry's hair artists - you know, like great make-up artists. Really, the folks that did their hair systems totally rock. That's some great hair folks. And on 50+ year old codgers to boot! wow! Maybe Richards ought to give them a call.
[Edited by LuckyWithTheLadies]
March 21st, 2005 07:38 AM
exile
quote:
LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
The only great artists in Aerosmith these days are Steve Tyler's and Joe Perry's hair artists ...... Really, the folks that did their hair systems totally rock. That's some great hair folks. And on 50+ year old codgers to boot! wow! Maybe Richards ought to give them a call.

LOL LuckyWithTheLadies! thats a classic comment!! ha ha
very funny! and very true!!!!

quote:
LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
Toys in the Attic is among my top 10 greatest rock albums.

I defintely should buy "Toys in the Attic", on all of your recommendations i feel, ........Actually Ill do it tomorrow!!!

BTW who did they hire to write a recent hit,LuckyWithTheLadies?? just curious
March 21st, 2005 09:40 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies Dude Looks Like a Lady was co-written I think, if not out right bought by Aerosmith. Not sure on my facts here. The rock lyric sites aren't listing an author and one site lists it as written by Unknown. They hired a publicists back during the Run DMC collabiration period, I think. He was a big name in successfully relaunching sagging careers. I don't remember the guys name. It's been too long ago.

I was at the first reunited Aerosmith concert when they decided to try it again. Hershey, PA new years concert, new years eve if I remember right. God, thats been a long time ago. I was a mere youngster back than and was shocked by Tyler's antics on stage - humping an amplifer among other things. A local band called Cry Tough opened for them. They later went to LA changed their line up a little and became Poison. Steve Tyler was wearing his skin tight white suit like in the seventies. This was in '84 I think. There was a sizemic shift between they way they looked, acted, and sounded that night and when I saw them later on MTV with Run DMC.
March 29th, 2005 08:59 AM
exile This is Aerosmiths latest best of CD
It has to be the ugliest album cover I have seen in some time
What the hell is up lately with their album covers?
Starting with the cow udder and piercing

the Cd itself looks HOT, the best selection of tracks of theirs i have seen.

still have not bought "Toys" or "Honkin" yet
March 29th, 2005 04:04 PM
trevcourt Never in the brief history of rock has there been a band with such a well defined turning point, or "turning to shit" point. Anything pre "Permanant Vacation" is necessary for your collection - PV and all that follow are ridiculous crap that will make you cry if you like Aerosmith.

I have long suspected that the real Aerosmith was replaced by record company clones in the mid 80s. There is really no other logical explanation.
March 29th, 2005 04:06 PM
Dan Definitely one of my all time favorites. The first four albums are among the greatest rock albums ever recorded. Of course I lost a lot of interest and cant stand a lot of the more recent stuff. Even the live show suffered a bit in the mid 90s but its a bit more balanced now.
Also my all time favorite concert moment is probably the soundcheck for the Forum gig in 03 when they played my all time favorite song "Nobody's Fault" by my request.
March 29th, 2005 04:21 PM
Riffhard Aerosmith is shit. They suck. Strike that. They suck WITH TEETH!

The only riffs from them that I ever dug were Sweet Emotion and Draw The Line. After that shit. Pure unadulterated dung.

Riffhard
March 29th, 2005 04:31 PM
Nellcote Hey Riffy, could you bring a tad more clarity to your feelings on the topic, as I am confused like Brian Wilson by your comments...Thanks
March 29th, 2005 04:46 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Hey Riffy, could you bring a tad more clarity to your feelings on the topic, as I am confused like Brian Wilson by your comments...Thanks

I hope this will help clarify my feelings Nelly!

Hey,I know they are your hometown boys and all,but I just can't stand them. I have always felt that they were the ultimate posers. Ofcourse,I'm from Atlanta and know the Black Crowes very well,and I would say the same thing about them!

Riffhard
March 29th, 2005 04:57 PM
FPM C10 OK, is THIS what the board needs saved from?

I get it now.

Aerosmith sucks. I won't even qualify it with "except for that one song..." They just suck.

I've even seen them live, and I suppose it was from their "glory days". They were opening for Mott the Hoople.

They blew. (Actually I thought they were ok, but I was in ninth grade. Now that I's all growed up I know - they blew.)

Hey, maybe Mick & Keith will get that chick from 4 Non-Blondes to co-write some of their new MTV hits too!
March 29th, 2005 05:05 PM
glencar I saw them in concert on their last tour & they played well & Tyler sang well. The 70's stuff is, like with the Stones, their best moment.
March 29th, 2005 08:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
trevcourt wrote:
Never in the brief history of rock has there been a band with such a well defined turning point, or "turning to shit" point. Anything pre "Permanant Vacation" is necessary for your collection - PV and all that follow are ridiculous crap that will make you cry if you like Aerosmith.

Pump is a very good album and Pandora's Box too.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood