ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

VIDEO HEADER: Jumping Jack Flask in Mexico City - February 26, 2006
Testing - this is a beta version ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones get plenty of satisfaction Down Under Return to archive
31st March 2006 02:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Stones get plenty of satisfaction Down Under
By Patrick Donovan
March 31, 2006
The Age

Without wanting to over-egg the pudding, I definitely feel a connection. Venue problems meant that the coming Rolling Stones tour of Australia very nearly didn't happen. But Australian connections to the Glimmer Twins - Mick Jagger and Keith Richards - ensured that it was not bypassed on the band's A Bigger Bang world tour.

The Stones have strong Australian contacts. Theodora, the daughter of guitarist Keith Richards and his wife Patti Hansen, is in Melbourne as an official ambassador of the 2006 Australian Grand Prix.

Jagger's mother, Eva Scutts, was born in Sydney, and he has many relatives there.

And of course, Jagger played Australian bushranger Ned Kelly in the 1970 film of the same name.

"I've got about 60 relatives coming to the Sydney gig. It brings it home to you how much of a connection you have," Jagger, 62, said by phone from Sapporo in Japan on the eve of the Australian tour.

"My grandmother, who I spent a lot of time with when I was a child, was there for a long time and would regale me with all of her tales of Sydney, and when you're very young and all this goes in, you're very impressed.

"Two of my uncles spoke with Australian accents, because they spent their formative years there and were in the merchant marine and went there regularly. Without wanting to over-egg the pudding, I definitely feel a connection."

The Rolling Stones are in the middle of what they call "the tour of four seasons".

"We've had spring in Tokyo, which was very beautiful, now it's winter in Sapporo, which is covered in snow, summer in Australia and then autumn in New Zealand.

"The energy's holding up, but there's a lot of distance to cover on this leg. We've got to bomb up to Shanghai and then it's a long way down to Sydney, and a quick trip through to New Zealand, and that's the end of the leg."

Jagger rates the recent show playing to more than a million people in Brazil as a highlight for the most profitable touring act ever. "That was a fantastic show, a great buzz and a big highlight of the tour - you can't do that every day."

One of the highlights of the Forty Licks tour in 2003 came when the Stones invited AC/DC's Angus and Malcolm Young to join them on stage for a jam at Sydney's Enmore Theatre.

While the Stones will be playing with AC/DC-inspired Warrnambool band Airbourne at the sold-out Rod Laver Arena show on April 13, they could have been playing with AC/DC themselves if the right venue - such as Flemington Racecourse - was available.

"They played with us at a few of our shows in Europe, but I don't know if they are around at the moment. But if we run into them there, who knows what's going to happen?"

31st March 2006 07:07 AM
Break The Spell I finally got to see that Ned Kelly movie about a month ago. There was a copy for just 6 bucks on DVD!! Mick does pretty good throughout. Anybody see his other flicks like "Performance" and "Freejack"?
31st March 2006 07:53 AM
egon 3 weeks holiday in australia and only once did i see
a copy of a stones CD in a store in melbourne.

it was rewind, and i think a "1st pressing".
still in cellophane wrapper and on sale.
(I can give you the name of the store if you want corgi.)

further humiliation came on the last day;
At a wedding, the DJ there refused to
play the stones for the certain Dutch guests.

I told him he was rasist (like most australians),
but he assured me it was only because the stones were shit.

So we had to listen to a lot of powderfinger that evening,
and if you've never heard of that band, consider yourself lucky.

I may go back there next year, but 1st i want to see some
stats from soldati showing ticket & cd sales in 2006
31st March 2006 10:59 AM
jb 13k sell out is not a big deal!!! 60k sell out is a big deal, Right now, 2ns show still avaialble. Lets not get too carried away with Aussies sales. They are similar to Mexico, but at less cost!!!!
31st March 2006 11:03 AM
glencar Egon makes me want to not fly to Oz. Is NZ any better? I can't abide by countries that don't respect the Stones unless it's somewhere like Malawi or Chad where music is more indigenous.
31st March 2006 11:04 AM
egon let's wait for soldati's full report and decide from there!
31st March 2006 11:06 AM
jb
quote:
egon wrote:
let's wait for soldati's full report and decide from there!

Holland ?????????????????
31st March 2006 11:06 AM
glencar I had another question for Soldatti...
31st March 2006 11:07 AM
glencar Holland is true Stones terra firma. When I was there I heard Run Run Rudolph on the radio!
31st March 2006 11:13 AM
egon
quote:
glencar wrote:
Holland is true Stones terra firma. When I was there I heard Run Run Rudolph on the radio!

you just answered your own question about where ANgus lives...
31st March 2006 11:13 AM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Holland is true Stones terra firma. When I was there I heard Run Run Rudolph on the radio!

Sweeden is also home to the best fans (see Erikjjf)
31st March 2006 11:15 AM
glencar NYC is Stones Capitol of the World right now.
31st March 2006 11:15 AM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
NYC is Stones Capitol of the World right now.

We have learned today that we are a non factor in LA
31st March 2006 11:16 AM
glencar I fear for Joey's health:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060331/ap_on_he_me/mumps_outbreak_1
31st March 2006 11:20 AM
jb I think Boston is very strong..even stronger than New York.
31st March 2006 11:21 AM
glencar Boston is for losers!
glencar Don't forget: Boston = Aerosmith!
jb Holland had 5 shows in 94 or 97? Now 2 non-sellouts. Dutch Rik knew all too well what would happen if they did not retitre after Licks.
Has anyone seen my baby Dutch Rik?
31st March 2006 11:22 AM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
I fear for Joey's health:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060331/ap_on_he_me/mumps_outbreak_1

poor joey!!

31st March 2006 11:22 AM
glencar Joshy: Twix?
31st March 2006 11:27 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy: Twix?

This is a possibility!!!! I must be guranteed first 3 rows and I will attend...........................................>
31st March 2006 11:30 AM
glencar That shouldn't be a problem! See ya there!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)