ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

VIDEO HEADER: Jumping Jack Flask in Mexico City - February 26, 2006
Testing - this is a beta version ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why do other musicians almost always sound so lame when covering Stones songs? Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th March 2006 02:42 PM
Chris74 I heard one record: "Paint It Blue" with Blues artists covering Stones songs and I must say only one song really touched me: "Tumbling Dice" (Johnny Copeland I think). The others were kind of disappointing to me, lacking power and energy.
Besides I only like "Beast of Burden" (Bette Middler singing I think) - I like here her voice and the alternative guitar riff.

Why do other coverers of Stones songs always sound so lame? Can't the certainly highly sophisticated artists replicate this rough/ rude Stones/Keef sound?

Thanks for your opinions
Chris
28th March 2006 02:44 PM
jb Stones is stones........there are no others.
28th March 2006 02:44 PM
Break The Spell I've heard a few good covers, like Johnny Cash's version of "No Expectations", Tiamat's "Sympathy For The Devil" and Glenn Tipton's "Paint It Black".
28th March 2006 02:55 PM
pdog A few years ago Uncut had two CD compilations, free with magazine, of Stones covers. Some of the best I've ever heard... A few klunkers, but overall, excelent versions of Stones songs!
28th March 2006 02:59 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:
A few years ago Uncut had two CD compilations, free with magazine, of Stones covers. Some of the best I've ever heard... A few klunkers, but overall, excelent versions of Stones songs!

Those cds are great, they came with the two different collectible covers of the band on Uncut which did a huge feature of them at the time. It was shortly before the Licks tour was announced.
28th March 2006 03:00 PM
Dan Where do I find the Glenn Tipton track? I would love to hear that. My favorite cover is Candy Snatchers "Rip This Joint." I will dig it out and post it sometime.
28th March 2006 03:03 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Dan wrote:
Where do I find the Glenn Tipton track? I would love to hear that. My favorite cover is Candy Snatchers "Rip This Joint." I will dig it out and post it sometime.

Glenn's version of PIB is on his 1997 solo album "Baptism Of Fire" which features the late John Entwistle on several tracks!!
28th March 2006 03:03 PM
Bloozehound Paint It Blue is kind of a lame album, too heavy on the soul glow and not the blues IMO

could have been alot better

Gatemouth Brown's version ventilator blues smokes though
28th March 2006 03:19 PM
Ihavelotsajam I have a... let's call her an "acquaintance" who thinks Bon Jovi's version of IORR leaves the Stones' original in the dust. Sigh.
28th March 2006 03:21 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I have a... let's call her an "acquaintance" who thinks Bon Jovi's version of IORR leaves the Stones' original in the dust. Sigh.

Yuck. Didn't even know that hairspray queen covered a Stones tune. Hopefully I never hear it!!
28th March 2006 04:36 PM
Stray Cat UK I feel sick !
28th March 2006 04:49 PM
Dan Speaking of Hairspray Queens, I totally dig Faster Pussycat's version of IORR I saw them play live once.
28th March 2006 04:51 PM
Quarter Tone The ultimate love/hate cover has to be Muddy Waters doing Let's Spend the Night Together.
28th March 2006 04:58 PM
sirmoonie Alvin Youngblood's Sway and Moonlight Mile were super fine!

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of quality Stones' covers by various artists.
28th March 2006 05:22 PM
IzzyStradlin Terry Anderson does an OUTSTANDING job of covering Street Fighting Man.
28th March 2006 05:25 PM
Throwaway I saw Alvin Hart play in a small club in Bladensburg, MD this past January, and he played Sway....one of the best four minutes of my life, no joke.
28th March 2006 07:02 PM
Soldatti Paint it blue sucks...
28th March 2006 07:13 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Chris74 wrote:
I heard one record: "Paint It Blue" with Blues artists covering Stones songs and I must say only one song really touched me: "Tumbling Dice" (Johnny Copeland I think). The others were kind of disappointing to me, lacking power and energy.
Besides I only like "Beast of Burden" (Bette Middler singing I think) - I like here her voice and the alternative guitar riff.

Why do other coverers of Stones songs always sound so lame? Can't the certainly highly sophisticated artists replicate this rough/ rude Stones/Keef sound?

Thanks for your opinions
Chris

That's easy: Cover bands don't have Charlie Watts.
28th March 2006 08:27 PM
Throwaway LoL Joey I MEANT the best four minutes with my clothes on...but Stones music can sometimes rule over all activities, even those done in the nude...
28th March 2006 08:29 PM
glencar What about OTIS?????
29th March 2006 09:32 AM
Casey_WGDJ Waylon Jennings' Stones covers are awesome. "It's All Over Now," "Honky Tonk Women," and "No Expectations" were all covered by Waylon. The first two were in the early part of his career and "No Expectations" was on 1998's Closing In On The Fire.

Of course, I AM a little biased...
29th March 2006 09:35 AM
Ihavelotsajam I think Social Distortion does nice punk covers of Stones, (and of Johnny Cash too). They covered It's All Over now, and I tend to like it better than the Stones' version. They also covered Under My Thumb and Backstreet girl.
29th March 2006 09:38 AM
Break The Spell Molly Hatchet did "It's All Over Now" on their "Flirtin' With Disaster" album, a good southern fried rock twist on the classic. Sammy Hagar's first band Montrose did a nice cover of "Connection" on their "Paper Money" album.
29th March 2006 10:54 AM
nanatod
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I think Social Distortion does nice punk covers of Stones, (and of Johnny Cash too). They covered It's All Over now, and I tend to like it better than the Stones' version. They also covered Under My Thumb and Backstreet girl.

That's because Social Distortion puts feeling and intensity into everything they do.
29th March 2006 11:16 AM
Ihavelotsajam Yes indeed, they are awesome.
29th March 2006 11:22 AM
polytoxic Love the Social D cover of Under My Thumb, nice and venomous.
Steve Earle and the Supersuckers do an excellent job on Before They Make Me Run. The Meters take on Honky Tonk Women is quite good, as is Tina Turner's.
29th March 2006 11:23 AM
Break The Spell Speaking of the punkers doing covers, The Ramones did a cover of "Out Of Time" on their Acid eaters album, one of the last things they ever did.
29th March 2006 11:36 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Speaking of the punkers doing covers, The Ramones did a cover of "Out Of Time" on their Acid eaters album, one of the last things they ever did.

The Ramones also did a pretty good Street Fighting Man.
29th March 2006 11:38 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

The Ramones also did a pretty good Street Fighting Man.

Another good one, I also heard some live boots of them tearing through the likes of Bitch and Jumpin' Jack Flash.
30th March 2006 07:05 AM
Bruno
Johnny Winters did a outstanding version to Stray Cat Blues.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)