ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Matthew Mulcahy
b. October 1, 1964 d. March 31, 2004
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones in Higher Education Return to archive
03-28-04 08:44 PM
Colt54 I'm taking a University class on the Stones (I love being a student!) and I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the following questions...
1. The stylistic directions the Stones headed in after Exile on main street and some of the reasons for the changes
2. A comparisson of the themes and styles found on Exile, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers and how these albums connect to the culture at the time
3. Considering 'Heartbreaker' and 'Far Away Eyes' how are these songs, although different, still revealing of the Stones in attitude, style, influences, content etc. Any comparisons to other songs would also be great.

Any thoughts that people have would be really interesting to hear. Thanks.
03-28-04 09:09 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I think that after Exile, the Stones entered into their jet-set lifestyle. Gone were the days of everyone hanging out together and more of, for the lack of a better word, the on-set of family life (if you can call it that).

Beginning with Beggars Banquet through to Exile, it was basically a time where pop-music evolved into rock music. These albums were pretty much a rejection of psychedelia and a celebration of rock's roots. If i'm not mistaken, from the late 60s into the early 70s there was basically a rock 'n' roll revival going on -- gone were the experimentations and a return to the basics.

My opinion. Hope it helps.

BEST VIEWED HIGH