ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Matthew Mulcahy
b. October 1, 1964 d. March 31, 2004
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cream Return to archive
03-23-04 07:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Now, there's a band that had "it". Two or three albums and "it" lasts forever. Van Halen becomes just another boring last tour band in comparison. Where's that Ginger Baker....much better drummer than Alex Van Halen. (Maybe it's not fair to compare them, Alex ain't bad.)
(also I'm not sure about the number of studio albums Cream made, I know it weren't many)
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
03-23-04 07:25 PM
stewed & Keefed What does Eric Clapton and Coffee have in common ?

BOTH CRAP WITHOUT CREAM.

Ok I know it's an old one but true.
03-23-04 07:27 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Now, there's a band that had "it". Two or three albums and "it" lasts forever. Van Halen becomes just another boring last tour band in comparison. Where's that Ginger Baker....much better drummer than Alex Van Halen.

Are you talking Van Hagar or Classic Van Halen?
03-23-04 07:58 PM
polksalad69
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
What does Eric Clapton and Coffee have in common ?

BOTH CRAP WITHOUT CREAM.

Ok I know it's an old one but true.

yup

anyone heard EC's Robert Johnson cd?
03-23-04 10:02 PM
Gimme Shelter Cream is another band that should do a reunion tour. They sounded pretty good when they were inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
03-23-04 10:39 PM
stickyturd Peter Green put out an AMAZING Robert Johnson double album. He and his band did every known Johnson song. I can't even describe how perfect this album is. It's called "Me and the Devil."

The idea was to use a full band like Johnson did right before he died--so this is what Johnson's band might have sounded like, since there were no recordings of him with a band.

They nailed it--even with the excitement of electric guitars and drums, it is so tasteful. They didn't step on the music at all.

Russ
03-23-04 11:28 PM
polksalad69
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
Peter Green put out an AMAZING Robert Johnson double album. He and his band did every known Johnson song. I can't even describe how perfect this album is. It's called "Me and the Devil."

The idea was to use a full band like Johnson did right before he died--so this is what Johnson's band might have sounded like, since there were no recordings of him with a band.

They nailed it--even with the excitement of electric guitars and drums, it is so tasteful. They didn't step on the music at all.

Russ

Have not heard it. Good to hear Peter made it back.
03-24-04 06:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels A Review

A limited edition three-CD set, Me and the Devil assembles the previously issued albums Hot Foot Powder (2000) and The Robert Johnson Songbook (1998), in which Peter Green, Nigel Watson, other Splinter Groupers and occasional guests such as Buddy Guy, Otis Rush and Joe Louis Walker work through the 29 songs recorded 60-odd years ago by Robert Johnson. The third disc contains (in the same order) that original portfolio: the 29 songs, sung by Johnson himself. As if this juxtaposition were not bold enough, the notes claim that hearing the Splinter Group playing songs that Johnson recorded solo gives an impression of how Johnson would have sounded when he played with a band. Time for a reality pill. Green is very good at this sort of thing; he obviously feels an affinity with Johnson, sings and plays his songs without pretension or conceit and makes music that is transparently honest. But the direct comparison that this album allows makes cruelly clear how great a distance separates Johnson from even his most dedicated followers. --Tony Russell

Customer Review: Rating: 5

First of all, what a delightfully packaged box set this is with an informative sleeve/booklet separating Mr Green`s CDs from Mr Roberts, with all three discs securely held in place and easy to access; makes a welcome change from the usual flimsy offerings which can leave CDs susceptible to scratching when the plastic centre holding pins disintegrate. Keeping with the practicalities for a couple of seconds more, the sound quality is also of a very high order with a natural `analogue` presentation - warm but detailed, so owners of megabucks systems will not have to listen through gritted teeth as is sometimes the case with modern recordings. The music itself is as good as the Blues can get - unless you really believe the `white boy blues` label which is frequently used to denegrate the likes of Green, Mayall, Clapton etc? For me, the reader`s of a Mojo`s magazine and even Mr BB King though, Peter Green was in his heyday the best white guitar player in living memory - only Jimi Hendrix and Steve Cropper piping him in the poll. The Peter Green of today has been through the mill somewhat since setting the world alight with Fleetwood Mac, but no doubt he now has a greater empathy with this older Delta Blues style - certainly he does Robert Johnson`s work proud, aided by the talent musicians which comprise the Splinter Group (and friends!). Robert Johnson`s own recordings are obviously mono and of varying quality, but his character and flair come through unhindered; Comparison`s with Peter`s versions are pointless as it`s akin to comparing oranges with apples; both are well worth owning in their own right, but together - and at this price - they should walk off the shelves.

03-24-04 07:06 AM
J.J.Flash Wow, thank you Lord for allowing somebody to post few lines about CREAM.

You know TTM, CREAM is one of my passions, really. Occasionally, I mention here on the board my admiration for Ginger, Bruce and of course, GOD aka EC.

I always would like to know why a band composed by genius broke off. Sure they should get together for some gigs.

Good to know that there are people, like me who miss them.
03-24-04 09:17 AM
Hannalee
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

I always would like to know why a band composed by genius broke off. Sure they should get together for some gigs.

Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce hated each others guts; to put it mildly.
03-24-04 10:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce hated each others guts; to put it mildly.

I wonder why. I didn't know it was quite that bad.
03-24-04 01:02 PM
jb I have a very old LP by Ginger baker post Cream.
03-24-04 04:28 PM
Prodigal Son Maybe it had something to do with Ginger being a big smack addict... so I heard.
03-24-04 05:45 PM
TornAndFrayed Certainly one of the most influential, most original and most talented bands.
It�s a shame they broke up so early. The beginning of the end was when milksop Clapton read a negative review of one of their shows in Rolling Stone magazine, early �68.
03-24-04 05:47 PM
glencar He couldn't take the heat?
03-25-04 09:15 AM
Mathijs >The idea was to use a full band like Johnson did right before he died

Johnson never played with a band as far as history is known. For the last couple of months he had travelled from village to village playing local pubs, all by himself. He was not known for being very social. Also, in 1933/1934 blues was still a one-man affair. If a guitarist would play with a band, it would either be bluegrass/country styled music, or the big band/swing kind of music, but certainly not blues.

Mathijs
03-25-04 10:10 AM
SeerSuckersuit Has anyone heard this to comment on ???

03-25-04 10:14 AM
glencar No but I was disappointed in that previous blues effort w/B.B. King.

BEST VIEWED HIGH