ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Matthew Mulcahy
b. October 1, 1964 d. March 31, 2004
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Van Hagar are back! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-23-04 06:20 PM
doo doo doo Dude From Billboard.com

Van Halen Summer Tour A Go

"The long-rumored Van Halen summer tour is finally getting off the ground. The group's official Web site reports that Van Halen will play shows on dates yet to be announced in Detroit; East Rutherford, N.J.; Greensboro, N.C.; Hershey, Pa.; Kansas City, Mo.; Las Vegas; Philadelphia; St. Louis; St. Paul, Minn.; Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; and Worcester, Mass.

There has also yet to be a formal announcement as to who will fill the group's lead singer slot, although it appears Sammy Hagar has won back the job. Hagar replaced original vocalist David Lee Roth in 1985 and remained in Van Halen until 1996. Roth returned to the fold for a brief, disastrous stint that year to record two new songs for a greatest hits album, but did not collaborate with the band further.

Former Extreme frontman Gary Cherone took over lead vocal duties for 1998's "Van Halen III" and a tour later that year, the band's most recent to date. In a bizarre twist, Roth and Hagar embarked on co-headlining U.S. tour in 2002.

As a band, Van Halen is surrounded by numerous other uncertainties, from guitarist Eddie Van Halen's battle with cancer to its lack of a record deal. The group split with Warner Bros. in early 2002 after spending its entire career recording for the label.

Hagar has a handful of shows booked with his band the Waboritas into early May. Promoters previously confirmed to Billboard.biz that Van Halen had holds for late summer dates in several U.S. arenas. In recent weeks, the group also signed a deal for representation with the William Morris Agency."

Personally, I was hoping for a return of Diamond Dave but I guess this will have to do.
03-23-04 06:37 PM
Some Guy DLR army is saying Sam and Dave will both sing and that is the big lead singer announcement.
03-23-04 06:43 PM
Tom Sorry but Van Halen without David Lee Roth is like The Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger
03-23-04 06:47 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
DLR army is saying Sam and Dave will both sing and that is the big lead singer announcement.

I hope your right Some Guy. Love that avatar.
03-23-04 06:51 PM
Gimme Shelter They just need to do a reunion tour with DLR. Bottom line.
03-23-04 06:54 PM
Some Guy Very, very true! if Dave came back, instant stadium sellouts!!
03-23-04 07:03 PM
Some Guy Brain resin: but I don't think Dave and Sam would work because the crowd would go ape shit for Dave and co. and still be cheering for Dave while Spammy is on. Plus all those egos on stage. Just Dave and nothing but the Dave!
03-23-04 07:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Very, very true! if Dave came back, instant stadium sellouts!!

I think that's true. But to me me Van Halen always lacked something. Not that Eddie is not a great musician but Van Halen lacked that certain something in the mix that makes one "great", a pinch of Grandpa Munster's powdered steak sauce? I don't know what it is but "it" ain't there.
03-23-04 07:20 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I think that's true. But to me me Van Halen always lacked something. Not that Eddie is not a great musician but Van Halen lacked that certain something in the mix that makes one "great", a pinch of Grandpa Munster's powdered steak sauce? I don't know what it is but "it" ain't there.

Time... they only had 6 albums. 1984 was a monster, who knows what may have developed.
03-23-04 07:21 PM
gypsy I agree with you, TTM. They do lack that *something*...whatever it is.

I say bring Cherone back! He rocked! <--only kidding, of course...it's sad that I have to clarify that for some people on this board. Y'know, slow people like Joey.
03-23-04 07:23 PM
Some Guy Listen to Fair Warning.
03-23-04 07:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hershey?

What date?

I need to know so I can get very very far away.
03-23-04 07:56 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
DLR army is saying Sam and Dave will both sing and that is the big lead singer announcement.

Isn't one of dem dead?
03-23-04 08:30 PM
Some Guy
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

Isn't one of dem dead?

LOL- not yet!!
03-23-04 10:33 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

LOL- not yet!!

oops, wrong Sam & Dave.
03-23-04 11:15 PM
Martha Believe me, Eddie Van Halen can tear your head off on guitar at a live show. I thought he was more than worth the price of admission. I saw VH the last time when they toured with Gary singing lead.

And I ain't slow like Joey!

But nobody does it like Diamond Dave..I agree with that. He's pretty much cuckoo though!
03-24-04 03:27 AM
Taptrick ONE OF SAM AND DAVE DEAD - LOL! I get it and you are correct. Dave Prater died in a car accient in 1988. I just saw Dave opening for Taj Mahal at Humphrey's in San Diego. Sam and Taj were awesome but no duet. Every Stone's fan should have a knowledge of the soul roots. Here's more if you want to learn:

http://www.history-of-rock.com/sam_and_dave.htm
03-24-04 07:23 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
ONE OF SAM AND DAVE DEAD - LOL! I get it and you are correct. Dave Prater died in a car accient in 1988. I just saw Dave opening for Taj Mahal at Humphrey's in San Diego. Sam and Taj were awesome but no duet. Every Stone's fan should have a knowledge of the soul roots. Here's more if you want to learn:

http://www.history-of-rock.com/sam_and_dave.htm

I PREFER TENNESEE ERNIE FORD,BUT I DONT GO POSTING LINKS
03-24-04 07:40 AM
Maxlugar As one who saw VH in their David Lee Roth prime (Diver Down Tour 1982) I can assure you all, Van Halen certainly did had "It". Big time. A thoroughly enjoyable and talented band.

But like the Morning Glory that opens it's flowers early in the day's first light, only to look like a repulsive and unwanted weed the rest of the day, so had Van Halen become by 1988.

Thus spake Macky!
03-24-04 08:34 AM
Some Guy I saw that 82 show and also 84. Nothing but IT!
03-24-04 11:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I saw that 82 show and also 84. Nothing but IT!

Well, I'm not trying to dis Van Halen. David Lee Roth is a showman no doubt. But I was just pondering the difference between perhaps "excellence" and greatness. Like there's a certain "it" something that helps to elevate a band to a higher level. The Stones were dealt "it" in spades. Dylan was too. Johnny Cash, Robert Johnson, a few others. Maybe Muddy Waters. Or even Segovia or Elvis. That's why I can't ascribe an "it" to Van Halen.
03-24-04 11:18 AM
Maxlugar Perhaps we can agree to say they squandered "it"?

Because I think they were well on their way eternal "it".

Special, thems were...
03-24-04 01:15 PM
jb I saw them twice open for the Stones in 81 at the tangerine Bowl in orlando. First show, Roth "mooned" the critics. I think they were huge when MTV first came out...I like several of their songs such as "Unchained", "That's what dreams are made of(?)(Top Gun theme), "Running with the Devil", and "Hot for teacher".
03-24-04 01:45 PM
Martha I saw Halen in the late 70's don't know what tour or year...I believe it was' 78 or '79? Cincinnati Riverfront Colisium. David was on the wire flying all over the stage.
03-24-04 04:11 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
I saw them twice open for the Stones in 81 at the tangerine Bowl in orlando. First show, Roth "mooned" the critics. I think they were huge when MTV first came out...I like several of their songs such as "Unchained", "That's what dreams are made of(?)(Top Gun theme), "Running with the Devil", and "Hot for teacher".

I heard about that show. That was the shit!!
03-24-04 04:27 PM
Some Guy This is from Classic Van Halen.com: This is fucking HUGE. The Van Halen brothers have FINALLY caved into touring with BOTH Sam and Dave much like the previous tour of 2002. The reason, my sources reveal, that the brothers have posted this today is PURELY ego: They think that Van Halen is BIGGER than the singer and there will be NO singer announcement. Dave and Sam, accordingly, will be announcing the tours respectively, but this was VH's effort to beat them to the punch. That Irving Azhoff dude brokered the entire deal, just like before. That was the factor that made this astounding world tour a possibility.

Don't look for it to last past this summer though, and never look for a singer to be "officially" announced for Van Halen.

I trust this source IMPLICITLY and this source has NEVER been wrong in the past.
03-24-04 05:41 PM
Taptrick Just for you BP: http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/anger.html

03-24-04 05:48 PM
FPM C10
Just so I know I'm not hallucinating - it's THIS guy you're all taking seriously, right?

And we CARE which of these two putzes is playing at the Enormo-Dome this summer. Right?

Because THIS guy is just silly and embarrassing...

...and this one ... isn't???

Do I have this right? I really feel like I'm missing something here.

[Edited by FPM C10]
03-24-04 05:56 PM
Taptrick I like some Van Halen but those ARE funny! I think Dave would look better if he shaved the head - went for a Bruce Willis look or something.
03-24-04 05:57 PM
Bloozehound I've seen Mick in a few get-ups that would make those two blush.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH