ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Matthew Mulcahy
b. October 1, 1964 d. March 31, 2004
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fuji CD-Rs Return to archive
03-17-04 05:04 PM
GimmeExile Are the Fuji CD-Rs that are now Made in Taiwan any good? Has anyone had any problems with them?
03-17-04 05:49 PM
polksalad69
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Are the Fuji CD-Rs that are now Made in Taiwan any good? Has anyone had any problems with them?

Never used them but have been warned to make sure to buy the ones made in Japan if purchasing Fujis.
03-17-04 06:02 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

Never used them but have been warned to make sure to buy the ones made in Japan if purchasing Fujis.

Fuji has dropped its Japanese manufacturer and is now producing CD-Rs in Taiwan...Can someone please vouch for their Made in Taiwan CD-Rs?

03-17-04 08:45 PM
mac_daddy they are OK, but not the same quality as the Taiyo Yuden's (which is the Japanese maunfacturer)
03-17-04 09:00 PM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
they are OK, but not the same quality as the Taiyo Yuden's (which is the Japanese maunfacturer)

I use those.

Get 'em here:

http://www.cdroutlet.com/cgi-local/shop.pl/SID=1079575191.19307/page=80_cdr.htm
03-17-04 09:06 PM
mac_daddy there ya go gimmeexile - and a place used by a board member to boot...

make sure to get a few on which to burn those Dylan shows you asked for
03-20-04 12:22 AM
GimmeExile What type of blank CD-Rs do most people here use?

[Edited by GimmeExile]
03-20-04 02:12 AM
polksalad69 where do you get Sony, non Supremas? Are they any better?
03-22-04 11:17 PM
polksalad69 bump

so no one uses cdrs?
03-23-04 11:38 AM
jb
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
they are OK, but not the same quality as the Taiyo Yuden's (which is the Japanese maunfacturer)

03-23-04 01:59 PM
Gibbons
quote:
jb wrote:

03-23-04 02:21 PM
Factory Girl Fuji/Japan at the moment.

I've used Memorex in the past, but lots of folks don't like'em.
03-23-04 02:43 PM
marko i�ve only had problems lately with Maxell audio disks.I bought 20,and 6 of them didn�t work.
I took them back to store,and got full 10 back.Hopefully
those ones will work.
03-23-04 02:56 PM
jb
quote:
marko wrote:
i�ve only had problems lately with Maxell audio disks.I bought 20,and 6 of them didn�t work.
I took them back to store,and got full 10 back.Hopefully
those ones will work.

Good luck Marko....
03-23-04 02:58 PM
Factory Girl I only use audio discs.

Marko, do you still have the Phillips? Can you burn cdrs on your dvd burner?
03-23-04 03:01 PM
jb Good luck Factory Girl.
03-23-04 03:03 PM
marko Yes i still have my very first one Philipps twin deck burner
and the bastard still works!
Also have dvd burner,but i can�t burn cdr�s on it.
03-23-04 05:14 PM
Scottfree Memorex, are the only Cd-r's that have consistentley worked for my punk arse.......
03-24-04 07:20 AM
Factory Girl I've never had a problem with Memorex, but it seems that some people view them as undesirable. They claim bad Memorex experiences.
03-24-04 11:51 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I've never had a problem with Memorex, but it seems that some people view them as undesirable. They claim bad Memorex experiences.

Don't use them but have received in trades and they've been fine (knock on wood). Not as bad as memorex cassette tapes.
03-24-04 12:22 PM
mac_daddy the main problem I have had with non-TY discs is that they do NOT have the capacity. While I can overburn just shy of 84 minutes onto TYs, I cannot burn even 80 minutes on many other brands (78 minutes seem to be the safe max time for most discs advertised to hold 80min). That is the only legit difference (in my mind)...

some say that the quality is better, but I think that is a bunch of phooey. Look, out of 100 commercial CDs, treated normally, 10% will fail within ten years. With self-burned CDs, that number probably jumps to 15%. If you write on the discs' surface with a marker, the number could be as high as 100% (the ink that adheres to disc surfaces, also corrodes them, which is why I never write on anything but the ring). So the idea that TYs last 50 years before their casings start to flake, and the cheapest generics start to flake after 10 years is irrelevant (even if true)...

Now if you are using lossless, rather than CDaudio, you have probably moved to DVD storage, and if not, I am sure you will the next time you need to buy a burner. No long term studies have been done with DVDs yet, but I am also sure they are a bit more durable than CD-Rs...

anyway, by the time you have to worry about your data DVDs corroding, you will probably have a RAID setup (or the equivalent), which ultimately is the way to go: redundancy at the harddrive level. so when one harddrive fails (worst case scenario), you just pull it out and replace it - the redundancy alleviates the possibility of data loss...

this kind of data storage will be affordable and practical within 10 years, which is when your data CDs might start having problems (esp. if they haven't been babied all along)...

if you collecting ONLY CD audio discs, you should be worrying less about the brand you use, and buy whatever is cheap, and whatever works in your machines, and make backups of everything...
03-24-04 07:01 PM
jpenn11 Thanks for all the info--and the useful warning--mac_daddy. I am curious though--do you back up your official stuff on DVD or hard drives already?

To those looking for info on the brand names: Sony audio CDs seem to be Taiyo Yuden (at least the ones I have been getting at Target). Also, I recently picked up some Fuji made in Japan at Best Buy so presumably there are some still available (note that different size packages may be from different manufacturers).

This link is probably way out of date, but provides some useful background on CDRs: http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml
The odd thing is that some folks swear by Imation or Taiyo Yuden, while others won't take them in trade.

03-25-04 12:48 AM
polksalad69
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

The odd thing is that some folks swear by Imation or Taiyo Yuden, while others won't take them in trade.

Peeps are strange indeed. Imation are on sale at Best Buy. Should get over there before Sat. Still have enought Taiyos tho...

BEST VIEWED HIGH