ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

The Rolling Clones (US) Last Waltz today!
The Beat Kitchen - 2100 West Beltmont - Chicago
Click here for more.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS< /a>]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Blues film Return to archive
03-30-03 12:45 PM
Maxlugar My Dearest Stonesilicious Cuddle Bunnies,

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I saw this on the Jeff Beck site I go to.

It will be a seven part PBS series. Mick, Keith and Jeff Beck have participated.

http://www.theblues.it/films.html

Anyway.....

MAXY!!!
03-30-03 02:48 PM
Nasty Habits Maxwell --

The '81ery arrived on schedule and I have been marvelling at the wonders of the first disc ever since. They do it grasshoppers and all, main. That just might be the best live version of Shattered of all time.

Thanks!

Nasty!
03-31-03 07:49 AM
Monkey Woman That one will be awesome. Among the directors are Mike Figgis (who played in a blues band himself in the 60s and will do the part about blues in London: the Stones, Eric Clapton, John Mayall...), Clint Eastwood (who plays the piano when not occupied with his day job ), Scorsese (who intends to track the evolution of the music from Africa to the Mississipi)...
This is just crying for a DVD set release!
03-31-03 12:02 PM
Maxlugar Oh Nasty! I'm so happy you like it!

It's probably my favotie boot of all time.

How about Time Is a My Side and Waiting on a Friend?

I weep during those.

Simply beautiful!

More to come!

Developing Nastily.............

03-31-03 12:19 PM
Joey An excellent Howard Carter like find Maxy ............

Much appreciated !

{{{{{{{{JOEYKINS }}}}}}}}}
03-31-03 01:13 PM
Martha Maxy thanks so much for posting this info...I hadn't heard anything about it.

will be set to tape! Sounds incredible!
03-31-03 01:54 PM
100 Years Ago quite a line-up of talent (both behind and in front of the camera), nice to see such an ambitious project giving the blues their due.
03-31-03 02:05 PM
scope There was a concert for this back in February at Radio City Music Hall. They were taping for the documentary. A friend had an extra ticket so I went. I had posted about this back then, but can't seem to find the link now.

It was a fantastic show, although it was quite long, with long breaks between the 1 or 2 song sets by each artist. Will enjoy it much more when it is presented by PBS.

Here is a review from NY Newsday which tells you more about it:

Painting the Full Palette of Blues

By Glenn Gamboa
STAFF WRITER

February 10, 2003

As a concert, A Salute to the Blues was too much to process. Too big. Too long. Too amazing. Too musically stunning. Too historic to really comprehend at this point.

Years from now, historians will point to the five-hour marathon concert, which featured practically every blues legend still around, and marvel at the last time such luminaries were gathered in one place. From Angelique Kidjo's gorgeous introduction, to the finale of B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt and Robert Cray 42 songs later, the salute was filled with one blues memory after another.

"When I think about tonight, chills run through me," King said, after a thrilling version of "Sweet Sixteen." "Lucille even screams a little."

The goal of A Salute to the Blues, meant as a kickoff to a yearlong celebration of blues music and its contribution to popular culture, was twofold - to chronicle its history and look toward the future. The show handled the first part with ease. Honeyboy Edwards, legendary bluesman Robert Johnson's former bandmate, and Robert Jr. Lockwood, Johnson's stepson, each performed powerfully - Edwards on "Gamblin' Man Blues" and Lockwood on "Every Day I Have the Blues." Odetta belted out a stirring version of the "Jim Crow Blues," while Ruth Brown showed that "Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean" sounds as good today as it did 50 years ago.

It was hard to get a flow going in a concert that stops after each song for filming purposes - an edited version, directed by Antoine Fuqua, will air on PBS this fall in a new series of blues films produced by Martin Scorsese. However, there were special moments.

Brown teamed up with Mavis Staples and Natalie Cole for one of the evening's highlights, a soaring version of "Men Are Like Streetcars" that used Bill Cosby as a visual aid. Cole was a nice surprise, one of many contemporary artists on hand to show how the blues still inspires. India.Arie offered a haunting version of "Strange Fruit," while Macy Gray rocked the place with "Hound Dog" and Angie Stone made "Stormy Monday" her own.

Several acts proposed possibilities for the blues' future. Chris Thomas King offered his blues-meets- electronica vision, a hepped-up version of the Moby blues creations on "Play." The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion provided its electrified blues mixed with Sonic Youth-styled noise rock.

However, Chuck D. and his newly created Fine Arts Militia may have rolled out the most potent attempt, turning John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" into a raging blues-rock antiwar anthem called "No Boom Boom." It showed that the blues can still be used as a form of protest, while maintaining its sense of humor and style. Fueled with that kind of fire, the blues may never die.

MUSIC REVIEW

A SALUTE TO THE BLUES. A once-in-a-lifetime concert to celebrate where the blues has been and consider where the genre is going. Featuring legends such as B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Odetta and Honeyboy Edwards. At Radio City Music Hall on Friday.
Copyright � 2003, Newsday, Inc.
03-31-03 02:06 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Oh Nasty! I'm so happy you like it!

It's probably my favotie boot of all time.

How about Time Is a My Side and Waiting on a Friend?

I weep during those.

Simply beautiful!

More to come!

Developing Nastily.............

I weep during Let It Bleed because I am laughing so hard. It is so funny -- they are KILLING, KILLING, KILLING at that show (you are correct, the beginning of the "slow" set is amazing) and then something goes so horribly wrong with that song that they have to fight to regain their groove. Do you know the New Orleans '81 version of Let It Bleed? It has the best Bill Wyman bass of all time! By the way, where are Jumping Jack Flash and Satisfaction? An '81 show with no trashy 8 minute JJF is like pie with no cream! Memorable and delightful, but somehow lacking that final catapult that really gives you a good night's sleep!

03-31-03 02:21 PM
Maxlugar Oh yeah that's right. It doesn't capture the final two songs.

But it doesn't matter to me. I didn't like JJF in '81 anyway.

Yes Let it Bleed starts off horrible with Mick just repeating the first verse over and over. Good stuff once it gets going though.

"1981 was a great tour, Ronnie!"
03-31-03 03:09 PM
Joey "1981 was a great tour, Ronnie!"

< ------ Amen to that ..............Whenever I hear anything from the '81 Tour I get that " the party has just started feeling " . I see barkers and colored balloons falling down all around me .

Really little buddy ???? Me too ....................

" Bite Me Ronnie "

JOESKEE
03-31-03 07:21 PM
doo doo doo Dude Maxy-

Many thanks to you for the "Beck-tacular" care package you sent me! That's some tasty shit that made my ears itch!

props brutha, you da man!

doo doo doo dude
04-01-03 10:41 AM
Maxlugar Oh so glad you like it Doo doo doo doo doo Dude!

Beck is the greatest!

I can send you the track list if you email me at [email protected]

I have it in word.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST