ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

The Rolling Clones (US) Last Waltz today!
The Beat Kitchen - 2100 West Beltmont - Chicago
Click here for more.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS< /a>]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question for the War Protesters!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
03-30-03 03:30 PM
LadyJane Oh I hang my head in shame. The Rolling Stones would hate me.

Perhaps, my friend's attempt at humor was inappropriate. I apologize for offending anyone.

Let me bottom line this for ya'll:

I support the United States. I support my President, I support the cause to rid this world of Saddam Hussein, and MOST of all I support the men and women who are putting their lives at risk for the freedoms we seem to take for granted.

'Nuff said!

LadyJ.
03-31-03 06:56 AM
CHIEFMOON
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Oh I hang my head in shame. The Rolling Stones would hate me.

Perhaps, my friend's attempt at humor was inappropriate. I apologize for offending anyone.

Let me bottom line this for ya'll:

I support the United States. I support my President, I support the cause to rid this world of Saddam Hussein, and MOST of all I support the men and women who are putting their lives at risk for the freedoms we seem to take for granted.

'Nuff said!

LadyJ.

How much do you support this "trooper"

"Waterhouse was using one of the fighting positions around the
intersection as a toilet when a man approached and began screaming at
him in Arabic. Waterhouse tried, with his limited Arabic, to tell the
man to go away, but the intruder continued to scream and throw rocks.

Waterhouse was hastily completing his business when the man launched
one final, sizable rock that was going straight for his head.
Waterhouse fended off the rock with one hand, cutting a finger.

'That could have killed me if it had hit me in the head,' Waterhouse
groused.

When the man continued to approach, Waterhouse and several other
soldiers pulled their weapons and shot the man."

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/news/iraq/0303/29irfrontlife.html
03-31-03 09:29 AM
LadyJane
Thanks, Chiefmoon! After reading the ENTIRE article I support the troops 100%.

LadyJ.

On front line, life's dangerous

By RON MARTZ
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Near Najaf, Iraq -- They have been without a shower or bath for more than a week now.

Their meals come prepackaged in a cardboard box.

They sleep four or five to a tank or armored personnel carrier, with hundreds of pounds of gear and ammunition around them, sitting up, half-reclining, never quite asleep and never quite awake.

Their toilets are wooden ammunition crates or cardboard Meals Ready to Eat boxes.

And every few hours, someone tries to kill them, often when they are least expecting it.

This is the Spartan soldier's life the members of Charlie Company, Task Force 1-64, 2nd Combat Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized), have been living for the past week.

It is neither comfortable nor glamorous. And it is dangerous.

These soldiers from Fort Stewart were among the first from the 3rd Division to enter Iraq. They pushed themselves and their tanks hard and drove to within 100 miles of the capital, Baghdad.

Then, starting last Saturday night, the tank company began fighting a series of running battles with small but dedicated units of local militia and Baath Party members. The Iraqis fight with AK-47 assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades. Charlie Company fights with 70-ton M-1A1 Abrams tanks,120 mm main guns and several types of machine guns. The company is able to call in air strikes, mortar and long-range artillery.

The guerrilla tactics employed by the Iraqis have not been successful militarily. But they have been successful in keeping the soldiers of this unit and their superiors off balance. The sporadic attacks rob the soldiers of sleep and time they need to do maintenance on their tanks. And the threat of attacks means someone has to be awake at all times in each vehicle -- to monitor the radio and watch for infiltrators.

Friday afternoon, Capt. Jason Conroy, 30, of Apalachin, N.Y., Charlie Company's commander, had just begun to heat his prepackaged lunch before a planned assault on the nearby town of Najaf. Suddenly, two mortar rounds landed within 100 meters of his tank and the intersection the company has been holding for two days.

Conroy abandoned his lunch and, with others, including Lt. Col. Eric Schwartz, task force commander, scrambled for protection inside their armored vehicles.

Conroy's missed meal was not nearly as dramatic or dangerous as the situation in which Sgt. 1st Class Brett Waterhouse, 37, of Gainesville, Fla., found himself that morning.

Waterhouse was using one of the fighting positions around the intersection as a toilet when a man approached and began screaming at him in Arabic. Waterhouse tried, with his limited Arabic, to tell the man to go away, but the intruder continued to scream and throw rocks.

Waterhouse was hastily completing his business when the man launched one final, sizable rock that was going straight for his head. Waterhouse fended off the rock with one hand, cutting a finger.

"That could have killed me if it had hit me in the head," Waterhouse groused.

When the man continued to approach, Waterhouse and several other soldiers pulled their weapons and shot the man.

Spc. John Matheny, 21, of Lakeland, Fla., had a different life-threatening experience several days earlier. He was going to the toilet when members of a Charlie Company tank crew began firing at him. He ducked behind a sand berm as tracer rounds flew over his head.

Finally he grabbed pieces of toilet paper and threw them in the air to get his buddies to stop firing.

Now, whenever anyone in the company needs to use the toilet, especially after dark, the tank crews alert one another as to where they are going and what they are doing.

Such is life at the front for the soldiers of Charlie Company.

03-31-03 06:43 PM
CHIEFMOON More "action" that requires your patriotic support:

By Robert Burns
Associated Press
Monday, March 31, 2003; 4:53 PM

WASHINGTON - U.S. troops killed seven Iraqi women
and children at a checkpoint Monday when the Iraqis' van
would not stop as ordered, a military official said.

Two other civilians were wounded in the incident at a U.S.
Army checkpoint on a highway near Najaf in southern Iraq,
the official said. The military is investigating, he said.

The dead and wounded were among 13 women and children
in a van that approached the checkpoint but did not stop, the
official said. Soldiers fired warning shots and then shots into
the vehicle's engine, neither of which stopped it, he said.

Any chance these women and children were fleeing the madness of war?
04-01-03 12:49 AM
littleredrooster This event is indeed sad. War is wrought with mistakes and unfortunate killings of civilians.
Maybe the terrorists should have considered that before they exploded that car bomb. Indeed, the gloves are off! If I was a checkpoint GI, my response to a vehicle disregarding the command to stop would have been the same.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST