ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

The Rolling Clones (US) Last Waltz today!
The Beat Kitchen - 2100 West Beltmont - Chicago
Click here for more.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS< /a>]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question for the War Protesters!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
03-22-03 10:50 AM
LadyJane I'm very puzzled by the continued protests especially when the Iraqi people are cheering the arrival of the Coalition forces. What do you make of the citizens tearing down the billboards of Sadamm's face? How does it make you feel to see Coalition forces tending with care to the surrendering troops? And boy do those troops look like they need food and water!! Sadamm and his sons are couple of winners aren't they? Rape rooms and torture chambers. Sounds like a fun place!

Yet, millions are taking to the streets again today to express outrage at the "Evil Aggressors", Bush and Blair?

I don't get it.

Somebody help me out here.

LadyJ.
03-22-03 11:00 AM
Pattie

Because Bush is BREAKING INTERNATIONAL LAWS by starting this war.
03-22-03 11:01 AM
Pattie
and we�re protesting against both Bush and Blair, we all want saddam to go (just for the record) don�t be calling me a saddam lover or anything
03-22-03 11:25 AM
nankerphelge I don't get it either.

I can understand those that are just anti-war -- no matter what, for any reason -- war is just bad. I can at least understand that because it is so principled. I don't agree with it, but I accept it.

But where were those protests when we were in Kosovo and Yugoslavia a few years back? If anti-war now, why not then? What's different? It can't be the "we should respect the sovereignty of Iraq and not invade preemptively" because we went into Yugo because of all the ethnic cleansing? Saddam does that too and more. And Slobodan M didn't have the weapons capabilities that Saddam has/had -- that would favor intervention versus not because then it is more than just internal -- it could pose a threat to others (like Iran and Kuwait -- y'all remember them -- those are other countries that Saddam didn't respect the soverignty of). So I don't see that argument.

Is it the "you don't have the UNs backing so you can't go in." Aside from the debate of whether we need to use the UN or not, why was that not an issue in the Balkans? Our protestors here didn't seem to mind the lack of multilateralism then. Is it because Europe didn't resist the Balkans conflicts as much? Russia sure did! They were afraid it was a power play by us into former Warsaw Pact nations. Where were the protests then? Why wasn't Wild Bill Clinton lambasted for failure to seek a coalition thru the UN then?

While the conflicts are not identical, there are sure alot of similarities. Both post-USSR conflicts where a dictator was out of control. If anything, I would think people would see Saddam as a bigger threat than anyone in Yugoslavia purely because of his weapons capabilities.

03-22-03 11:27 AM
LadyJane Pattie--if we hadn't taken action, when do you think Saddam would go? Another 12 years of UN inspections. I just heard an interesting comment from a captured Iraqi soldier. Something to the effect of "We will continue to fight until we know Saddam is dead. We are more afraid of him that you!

I'm not one to favor "breaking international law" but come on. Sometimes rules and laws have to be broken. How would you feel if it were your family living under such a Dictator?

LadyJ.
03-22-03 11:29 AM
hayo Because Bush is starting this war without permission from the u.n.
The fact that we're better of without Saddam doesn't make this war legal or nessecary in anyway.
If only Gore won the elections in Miami...
03-22-03 11:29 AM
telecaster
quote:
Pattie wrote:

Because Bush is BREAKING INTERNATIONAL LAWS by starting this war.

Wrong. Saddam violated the 1991 Cease Fire he agreed to under International Law

Has been for years. We decided to enforce. Now he is paying the price

And LJ in Chicago we are having a huge rally supporting the troops

Good points in your post LJ, couldn't agree more
03-22-03 11:31 AM
telecaster
quote:
hayo wrote:
Because Bush is starting this war without permission from the u.n.
The fact that we're better of without Saddam doesn't make this war legal or nessecary in anyway.
If only Gore won the elections in Miami...

Gore would have teams of lawyers parachuting into Iraq
to file lawsuits

How about if only Gore would have won his home state!
[Edited by telecaster]
03-22-03 11:34 AM
Pattie

I told you I�m not against getting rid of Saddam, but why do you choose to go against the UN? and why start the war now? Why didn�t you get rid of him before? MAYBE bacause your country is out of money now!!!!!!!!!! after just a few days of war you�ve already stolen money from Irak�s international banks, they�re supposed to be for Irak when saddam is gone, not in the pockets of America, plez agrre with me on that, STEALING IS WRONG! I hate Saddam I really do, he HAS to go, but YOU need to get a grip on your economy and stop stealing from Irak
03-22-03 11:41 AM
EthanWickedAsHeSeems The reason that most people for the war DO NOT HAVE TO BE loud and obnoxious is that the FACTS are on their side. The UN weapons inspections reports from Blix, and the financial evidence that shows the payoff France and Russia recieve for not supporting the war. Nevermind 17 broken UN resolutions and moral outrages unthinkable by us normal folks. Breaking international law? If these laws keep a murderous dictator in power after he broke 17 UN resolutions and continues to develop WMD...if these laws cannot stop this man, then they are useless and must be broken.
03-22-03 11:44 AM
LadyJane Stealing Iraq's money??? You mean freezing the assests of a vile Dictator? That guy's got billions stashed and his people are starving.

We are not out to steal Iraq'a money. We have plenty. I believe we have already pledged BILLIONS to help them rebuild.

And here's a little reading material for ya!

Friday, March 21, 2003 Posted: 9:07 PM EST (0207 GMT)

A U.S. soldier gives candy to Iraqi boys Friday in Safwan.

-----------------------------------------------------------
SAFWAN, Iraq (CNN) -- Videotape shot by Kuwaiti TV crews Friday showed about a dozen villagers, most of them adult men, warmly welcoming American soldiers who arrived and briefly took up positions in the village of Safwan.

The men, a few children, and one woman spoke to at least three soldiers who got out of their vehicles. Many shook the soldiers' hands or embraced them, and some kissed the soldiers' cheeks.

"God bless you, thank you very much," said some of the villagers, according to translations by Kuwaiti TV.

"We do not want the oil. Take it. Take it. But build the country. We want to live, we want to travel, we want to walk. It cannot always be the pressure of war, war, destruction, destruction," one villager said. "Enough, enough. We are fed up, fed up. Long live the soldiers."

About a dozen other Iraqis watched from a distance.

The soldiers were seen arriving in at least three armored vehicles and one truck; two helicopters flew by in the distance.

At one point, a soldier tore large pieces from a large poster of Saddam Hussein, the Iraqi president.

One villager took off his sandal and repeatedly hit what remained of the painting of Saddam's face.

The one woman spoke emotionally to the soldiers for a few moments, but it was not clear which comments were hers.

The tape showed a group of about eight adult men and children dancing and singing, "Saddam, your days are numbered. Saddam, your days are numbered."

Safwan is an Iraqi military facility located about 28 miles south of Basra, just north of the Kuwait-Iraq border.

LadyJ.
03-22-03 11:50 AM
Pattie
Does the word propaganda mean anything to you?
I know lots of people from Iraq, and trust me they�re not happy right now
03-22-03 11:55 AM
LadyJane Pattie-I like you , so let's just agree to disagree. You and I are better off on the "superblow" thread.

I feel blessed to live in a country that allows us the freedom to disagree without having to fear for our lives.

LadyJ.

03-22-03 11:56 AM
Moonisup the fact that CNN shows people tearing down saddam signs it just 1 side of the coin!
In Germany they had Goebels to take care for proganda. Believe me, not everyone in Iraq is happy about the invasion, and not just saddam and his clan
[Edited by Moonisup]

03-22-03 11:59 AM
nankerphelge There is no violation of international law at all.
None.

There is no international law that says the only time a nation can war with another is if the UN says it's okay.
No nation has ever relinquished their right to wage war to the collective whim of the UN. The UN is not a world government and you'd see even more protests if it tried to be such.

At best, the UN is a procedural mechanism by which sovereign nations can try to work together and come to agreement about a proper plan of action. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. In this case, the US at first wanted to avoid the UN because it is not always easy to get consensus -- especially when war is at issue.

Bush went to the UN to try and convince and get consensus --and to a certain extent did -- no one argued that Saddam was still in violation of previous UN mandates and no one disputes that he was in violation of 1441. The issue was purely how to deal with it. Many at the UN believed that continued inspections would work. The US and UK said that the timetable for that was unacceptable.

That we didn't couldn't get a UN mandate to allow war, does not equal a violation of any law. The UN could never justify such a law anyway. And no nation in its right mind would ever accept it.
03-22-03 12:01 PM
telecaster Also we should thank the protesters for straining city police and fire depts and city budgets to the absolute max day after day during extrememe heightened alert for terrorism in NY, Chi, SF, etc.

If you aren't going to be part of the solution don't be part of the problem

03-22-03 12:06 PM
LadyJane Good points Nank and Tele!

But I don't think we're gonna change any minds. They just don't get it. The idealism of youth is usually refreshing. Not this morning

LadyJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
03-22-03 12:08 PM
Stray Cat The UN is just a toothless talking shop . THATS why blair+bush have gone in alone.
03-22-03 12:11 PM
cocksucker Why can't no one of the American pro war patriots answer this question?

Why did the US contribute to establish the Saddam
regime in the first place? Was it to help the people from Iraq? Was it to establish a democracy?

And again it stayed silent.
03-22-03 12:12 PM
Pattie

LadyJane, I like you too. I know we�re different, but deep down I believe that everyone�s soul is made of love. That gorgous light that you can see in everyone. That�s why I prefer the other thread too, cause it�s all about love for our hunk of a man!

Rik.......here�s a kiss for you:
03-22-03 12:13 PM
Pattie

I really want you to just think about cocksuckers question, just think about it. don�t just silence it.
03-22-03 12:13 PM
Nellcote Pattie;

I wish I had a better analogy, however, I do not

The UN is about as useful as feet on a whale.

Pres 43 Bush said on 9/12/01, after 9/11, "In the war on terror, either countries are with us, or against us. If your country harbors or sponsors terroist activities, then you are against us"

We are now finding that in the north of Iraq, is the Al Aman, a personally selected by Saddam, Al Queada aiding organization. This proves the fact that he is harboring terroists, as well as aiding same.

We are finding he is using missles banned by the UN ammendments, along with water mines.

Saddam violated 17 ammendments 331 times over 12 years that your beloved UN sent against him.

So, in effect, he says to the UN- F You!

Time to clean up the Saddam mess, move along.

He will not be the last dictator, so you'd better be prepared for more.
03-22-03 12:17 PM
cocksucker please answer the question nellcote
03-22-03 12:19 PM
cocksucker Pattie they just can't answer the question
03-22-03 12:19 PM
Pattie
Can someone answer Cocksucker�s qustion. Pretty plez
03-22-03 12:21 PM
Pattie
I know! thank you so much for posting that qustion in the first place. Lots of love to you!
03-22-03 12:24 PM
telecaster
quote:
cocksucker wrote:
Pattie they just can't answer the question

Simple. At the time he was an enemy of our enemy.
Once we were friends with Germany, Japan, and Russia.
Then we were not friends. Went to war with some of them.
Then we are friends again.

I was married once. I am now divorced. Thought it would last forever.

Things change.

Any more?
03-22-03 12:25 PM
cocksucker Pattie dont thank me: it's an obvious question. But your love is accepted
03-22-03 12:26 PM
Moonisup
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I was married once. I am now divorced. Thought it would last forever.

do you bomb your ex-wifes also?
03-22-03 12:27 PM
Pattie

haha
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST