ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My review-Shine A light Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th March 2008 09:42 PM
Riffhard Dudes are old. Yet they still got it! They got it in spades.

The film is a beautiful love letter from Scorsese to The Stones. He scores with some of the greatest camera work ever seen for what is essentially a concert film. The camera work is almost too good at times. Matt Lauer joked with Mick about the fact that you could see his tonsils. Well, not quite. But you could certainly see Mick's dental work in all it's glory. You could actually see the fillings in his teeth. Not to mention some bridge work! A little too close for my taste frankly. Mick's dental work was his only sign of his age though. The line about Mick being the ninth wonder of the world is so true. As often as it's said that Mick is a freak of nature it still holds true. Mind you this was in the intimate confines of The Beacon with it's relatively small stage and not the enormodome massive stages where we have all seen Mick sprint from one end to the other with seemingly little effort at all. The guy is simply amazing in either venue. There were audible gasps coming from a couple of reporteretts
sitting behind me due the sheer athleticism of Sir Mick. In contrast there were times in which Keith looked downright wiped out. As the camera zoomed in on Keef doing one of his signature one knee bows towards the end of Satisfaction Keith seemed to really be exhausted physically. One can hardly blame him all things considered. However even that moment of physical frailty passes quickly as Keith quickly gathers himself up and, in English tradition, carries on.

The show itself is simply great. The guitar sound is, as has been reported, very up in the mix. There has been talk about overdubs and some post production tweaking. I must say that I saw no evidence of any major "fixing". There were some obvious flubs from both Keith and Ronnie, and they are for the most part left in place. Sloppiness has always been part of the Stones' live experience and it remains so forty six years after the bands' inception. Ragged glory to be sure. Highlights were too numerous to mention, but some that stand out are an incredible She Was Hot, and a a blistering Champagne And Reefer with Buddy Guy. Keith circling Guy in an almost taunting, but good natured, manner. I was also very surprised at how good Christina Aguilera fit in with the band. This was no Justin Timberlake episode. Jagger and Christina really vamped it up with great effect, and what a voice this chick has. Big ups to her. Jack White did an admirable job as well with a great duet on Loving Cup. It was patently obvious that the guy was just thrilled at the chance that presented itself. He was practically pinching himself with obvious excitement. Hero worship on display in full force.

Some of the greatest moments were also the vintage clips that Scorsese inter-spliced into the film. He did it so seamlessly, but always by way of underscoring the obvious point. Which was simply, "can you fucking believe these guys?! Ain't they great?!" His choice of archival footage was also placed in such a way that you couldn't help but shake your head at the longevity of the band. The famous clip from the Dick Cavett Show in 1972 was here, as was Mick's bizarre almost surreal meeting with William Rees-Mogg (Who Breaks A Butterfly On A Wheel) and some other stiff upper lipped British elites after Mick's release from prison following the Redlands bust. To see a young Mick carrying on with an Arch Bishop, and some of London's social overachievers is priceless. There is also some classically comic dead pan Charlie bits included.

The film concludes with a frenetic and frantic Stones' escape from The Beacon out the back door while the audience inside is still going nuts at what they had just witnessed ala Stones' shows from yesteryear. Then a nice, and appropriate, dedication to Ahmet Ertegun as the screen fades to black.

Riffy

[Edited by Riffhard]
28th March 2008 09:59 PM
fireontheplatter cool man.

sounds good
28th March 2008 10:05 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks, Riffy!

So glad you are getting this opportunity. Hope you get picked with a question on Sunday!!!
28th March 2008 10:09 PM
mrhipfl Thanks. Can't fuckin' wait.
28th March 2008 10:19 PM
parmeda

wow!
28th March 2008 10:31 PM
Bloozehound Riffy's the King

28th March 2008 10:41 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Riffy's the King

Surpassing Top Jimmy and Bill Wills.....
29th March 2008 01:18 AM
Sioux Thanks for the review, Riffy... I am assuming that there is no footage whatsoever, in the archival stuff {of course}, of Brian. I do think that would make the story complete, as he founded the band.

Can't wait to hear about the press conference on Sunday!
29th March 2008 02:49 AM
Some Guy well allright!
29th March 2008 05:09 AM
Nellcote You need to publish this review in other areas beyond Rocks Off. This is top notch writing. This is terrific, thanks for your efforts!
29th March 2008 07:14 AM
Jumacfly great review, thanks Riffy!
29th March 2008 07:52 AM
luxury1 great to read something from a true fan,--besides Scorsese, that is. What a fantastic lasting testament the band and Scorsese have made--good for them--to highlight the longevity, the vitality, the raw appeal.
Thanks for posting, Riffy--have a blast Sunday.
29th March 2008 08:05 AM
glencar Nice job, Riffy. Well-written & very affectionate.
29th March 2008 12:08 PM
GotToRollMe Outstanding review, Riffy. Beautifully and lovingly written. The kind of stuff that makes ya want to go out and see it for yourself. Balls yer way up there tomorrow night and represent!
29th March 2008 12:13 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
You need to publish this review in other areas beyond Rocks Off. This is top notch writing. This is terrific, thanks for your efforts!

mel belli's review was also excellent...i thought
29th March 2008 12:27 PM
sirmoonie Great review, can hardly wait to see this dealie - some Stones jones.
29th March 2008 12:31 PM
Joey

< ----- Outstanding Review ... Thanks Riffy .

Yes , Thanks Riffy !!!

J. Fly ! ™

[CC:SS}
[Edited by Joey]
29th March 2008 01:11 PM
SweetVirginia Fantastic review. Sounds like SAL is everything we've hoped it would be.

Thanks Riffy.
29th March 2008 01:21 PM
steel driving hammer Good review Riffy!

Don't know yet if I should drunk or sober the first time.
29th March 2008 03:18 PM
gimmekeef Riffy thanks for the great review.I have been blasting the 2 cds since I got them Tuesday.Wonderful stuff and boys are in top form.Some Girls and Ya Got The Silver glisten and Champagne and Reefer (aka lol Fancy Man Blues)is superb.I have to think there is some dubbing or Ronnie just had his best night ever.One of their best live recordings ever...not quite a Ya Yas but close enough for me!
29th March 2008 03:28 PM
GotToRollMe And to think they were just warming up for AC!
29th March 2008 04:46 PM
Nasty Habits good job, riffy! thanks.

ps - where is Mel's review? TIA!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
29th March 2008 05:12 PM
pdog I'm going with a good friend, who is a huge Stones fan, punk rocker and only 19... We're both very excited... Imax here we come.
Great, great review Riffy.
29th March 2008 05:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Let's all not get too gaa gaa ....its only the Rolling Stones fer crissakes...

(Thanks Riffy..... )
29th March 2008 05:15 PM
monkey_man Awesome review Riffy! You should really post more often!
[Edited by monkey_man]
29th March 2008 05:16 PM
glencar
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Let's all not get too gaa gaa ....its only the Rolling Stones fer crissakes...

(Thanks Riffy..... )

Since you've never seen them in concert, I'm guessing you'll fail to see the movie too.
29th March 2008 05:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Let's all not get too gaa gaa ....its only the Rolling Stones fer crissakes...

(Thanks Riffy..... )

29th March 2008 05:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Since you've never seen them in concert, I'm guessing you'll fail to see the movie too.

Put it this way. After 40+ years of this shit I'm not in any big rush. Just roll with the punches.
29th March 2008 06:14 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29th March 2008 06:51 PM
Bob Tamp Riffy,
Great review. Just curious. Did you see it in IMAX or on a traditonal movie screen.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)