ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: allman bros gigs cancelled (nsc) Return to archive
27th March 2008 08:22 PM
mac_daddy no stones content, but i know there was talk about the beacon run, so i figured i would post this notice (which was posted today)

quote:
Hey there sweet family,

The Allman Brothers Band announced today that they are postponing their annual
run of 15 shows at New York City’s Beacon Theatre set for May 5-24, with
rescheduled dates TBA. In addition, they have also cancelled their upcoming
performances at the Wanee Festival that they host every year in Florida (set for
April 11-12, Wanee will continue as planned despite the fact that the Allman
Brothers Band will not be appearing). For the past six months, founding member
Gregg Allman has been receiving scheduled treatments for Hepatitis C, a virus
that, with these treatments, has become curable in recent years. The treatments
so far have been successful and the virus has been eradicated from his system.

However, the recovery time from the side effects of the treatment are taking
longer than originally projected. Since the Allman Brothers Band are known for
exhilarating and exhausting concert performances they don’t want to give fans
anything less than they have come to expect; so the band members made a group
decision to delay the first round of dates. “I’m getting better but I’m still
tired,” says Gregg. “I need to be at 110% to do the shows the way we do them.
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the support and understanding my Brothers
and our fans have given me.”

The Wanee Festival featuring Gov’t Mule, Bob Weir & Ratdog, Derek Trucks and
Susan Tedeschi’s Soul Stew Revival, moe., Levon Helm and others will indeed take
place April 11-12 in Live Oak, FL, despite the Brothers’ cancellation. As for
other Allman Brothers Band dates, a 12-concert jaunt planned for August,
including two that have been announced so far (8/16 in Boston, MA and 8/23 in
Camden, NJ), will go on as scheduled. The rescheduling of the Beacon Theatre
run and additional fall shows will be announced soon. Gregg and the Allman
Brothers Band appreciate the ongoing support they have always received from
their fans and look forward to seeing them this summer. The road goes on
forever…
27th March 2008 08:37 PM
pdog I had a friend do some really intense treatment for Hep C. i remember him complaining of it being really hard to do...
All my best... Allmans always remind me of long car rides with my dad... good times!
27th March 2008 08:42 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
pdog wrote:
Allmans always remind me of long car rides with my dad...

Long enough to hear all of 'Whipping Post' or 'Liz Reed'?

Get well soon, Gregg.
27th March 2008 08:51 PM
robpop Take care Gregg.

There is a bar in the neighborhood where I grew up at, where we used to hang out at. The bartender/owner hated when anybody played long songs on the box. We would play Mountain Jam at least five times every night just to piss him off. We also played the live version of Space Truckin which was around 20 minutes. It was so funny.

27th March 2008 08:59 PM
mojoman
quote:
robpop wrote:
Take care Gregg.

There is a bar in the neighborhood where I grew up at, where we used to hang out at. The bartender/owner hated when anybody played long songs on the box. We would play Mountain Jam at least five times every night just to piss him off. We also played the live version of Space Truckin which was around 20 minutes. It was so funny.

they had mountain jam on a jukebox?
27th March 2008 09:01 PM
robpop
quote:
mojoman wrote:

they had mountain jam on a jukebox?

It was on a CD box. They had just came out.
27th March 2008 09:05 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
robpop wrote:
Take care Gregg.

That reminds me of this:

http://www.moredarkthanshark.org/eno_int_nyt-jun06.html

New York Times JUNE 4, 2006 - by Wendy McClure

UNHAPPY HOUR

My boyfriend, Chris, and I were at Rossi's, an amiable dive bar where everything was burnished with nicotine. Except the jukebox. The jukebox was new, and with its cheerful, glowing computer screen, it looked like a particularly glitzy A.T.M. The music didn't come from CD's or records inside the actual jukebox but from an immense database somewhere on the Internet or maybe even outer space.

The place was filling up. Chris grabbed our pitcher and topped off the glasses of our second round. We paused to listen to the song that was just starting. It built up slowly - a low, swelling hum punctuated by simple, tentative piano notes. They went, "Ting. . .ting ting.. . ."

"Didn't someone play this song before?" Chris said.

We waited to hear more of the song. There wasn't more. Just ting and ting. And ting again.

"Before when?" I asked.

"Before, uh. . ." Chris put down his glass to think. So did I. We both got faraway looks in our eyes, spacing out, trying to remember. The song was particularly well suited for spacing out. Ting.

The last jukebox selection we could recall was by Pink Floyd, but that was practically a whole beer ago. This new song, we realized, had been playing ever since, steadily emitting an ambient drone and random tings for nearly ten minutes now. It sounded like excellent music for floatation-tank therapy. Less so for Miller-Lite-and-video-game therapy, the kind you get at Rossi's.

Chris went and checked the screen. "Well, that explains it," he said. "It's a Brian Eno song." The song was called Thursday Afternoon.

I don't know much about Brian Eno. I know that he is a highly innovative artist and a very important producer and also that in the 70's, he used to wear a lot of ostrich feathers. I would read later that with songs like Thursday Afternoon, he was experimenting with what he called a "holographic" style, composed according to mathematical principles, in a series of repeated loops in which each component represents the whole. A whole that does not, technically speaking, rock.

Before long a girl approached the jukebox and peered at the screen.

"Is it stuck?" she asked no one in particular. "Or skipping, or. . .something?"

She wandered off. The song wandered on.

I poured the rest of our beer. The TV above the bar had Jeopardy! on mute, and we tried to follow along. Chris visited the men's room. Chris came back from the men's room.

He said, "The song is still playing." Because it was.

People were turning in their seats to stare at the jukebox and then glance at the Michelob Ultra clock. I read the lips of a woman in conversation across the room; I could definitely make out the words "song" and "my God." The song had been playing for about twenty-five minutes, sounding exactly the same as it had when it started. Only somehow, paradoxically, worse.

Two college-age guys came up to assess the jukebox grimly, as if they were inspecting a car for damage. "Who played this?" one of them said. "It's like yoga music or something."

They looked around, but out of the two dozen or so people in the bar, nobody owned up to playing a twenty-odd-minute yoga song. Which, at this point, was getting to be more like a thirty-odd-minute song.

"When's it going to play my stuff?" the other college guy asked. By now this seemed a hypothetical question. Elsewhere throughout the bar, there appeared to be considerably more fidgeting and peeling of beer bottle labels than usual. Darts seemed to miss their target more frequently. Ting. . .ting.

"Weren't we going to get dinner shumwhere?" I said, with difficulty. We were on our second pitcher of beer.

Chris shook his head. "We can't leave." Either he wanted to stay until the end of the song, or else the song was making it physically and inexplicably impossible for us to leave the bar, as in that Buñuel film where nobody can leave the dinner party. Imagine replacing the brass cylinder in a music box with a Möbius strip made from nerve endings, and you might get a sense of how Thursday Afternoon felt after forty-five minutes. The mood in the bar was approaching that of a hostage crisis.

"I put ten bucks in that thing," one of the college kids kept saying.

"This isn't right," said an older man near the bar. "This isn't fair."

Four male patrons took it on themselves to investigate the jukebox. They felt along the sides of the machine as if in search of a button or switch. We all watched. "Turn it off!" someone yelled.

"I'm not going to turn it off!" the bartender called out suddenly. Everyone turned to look at her. The room fell silent. "Someone paid money to play that song. So they're gonna get their song," she said, bitterly. "You think I like it when you guys play that head-banger stuff?"

Ting. . . .Ting. The men stepped away from the jukebox. If Thursday Afternoon was to last all night, so be it.

After an hour and fifty seconds, the tings tapered off, and then the synthesizer drone ceased. And then a moment of heavy silence, and then scattered applause throughout Rossi's.

We all looked back at the jukebox. Any Song, the screen read. Any Time.

27th March 2008 09:09 PM
robpop
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

That reminds me of this:

http://www.moredarkthanshark.org/eno_int_nyt-jun06.html

New York Times JUNE 4, 2006 - by Wendy McClure

UNHAPPY HOUR

I enjoyed that thanks!
27th March 2008 10:19 PM
fireontheplatter i have been meaning to get to one of these beacon theater shows but haven't made it. they pretty much always sell out.
i dig the bros....great band

get well soon greg. it was greg right?
27th March 2008 10:21 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
robpop wrote:
Take care Gregg.

you should have upped the anti and slapped on layla and then funeral for a friend.
27th March 2008 10:21 PM
guitarman53 I love their version of "Stormy Monday"
27th March 2008 11:03 PM
Joey
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I love their version of "Stormy Monday"

Yes --- OutStanding

Get Well Soon Gregg

" Best Allman Brothers YET , Ronnie ! "

J' Lo ! ™
27th March 2008 11:52 PM
Sioux The Allman Bros. are the best, by far, Southern Rock band, IMO. Love the early stuff with Dwayne and Berry. I hadn't heard that Gregg had Hep C.
28th March 2008 12:21 AM
Lazy Bones wow. thanks, mac.

here's to a speedy recovery...
28th March 2008 11:30 AM
Martha Get well Gregg!

I need to see you this year...come to Red Rocks!!!

xxoo,
Martha
28th March 2008 04:40 PM
glencar I saw them last year at the Beacon. I thought about going this year.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)